PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Aussies

fpv_gtho
03-25-2004, 02:19 AM
You may have thought you saw the worst in Mad Max when it came to out customised cars. Well whilst the world's talking about the new turbo MX-5, not only was it Tickford Australia that came up with a kit a couple of years ago for Australian spec MX-5's that highly influenced the official Japan turbo kit, but AEC have come up with suicide on wheels in the form of the Bullet Roadster SS
http://www.advancedengine.com/press_past/prBulletFaster_011201.html

They didnt stop at the MX-5 either. A couple of years ago they came up with the AEC AU 300+. Ford were just a step away from approving a supply deal to AEC to built the cars at a steady rate with the Mustang 4.6L engine but pulled out at the last minute. The past 18 months though AEC have been working secretly on the BA with the 5.4L engine from the XR8 and out with the AU 300+ and more than likely in with the BA 400+

http://advancedengine.com/press.html

Need4Speed
03-25-2004, 05:19 AM
Not a bad car for its price and the claims.

I found some specs on the car (from : http://www.bulletcars.com/showroom/roadsterss.html)

Bullet Roadster SS V8 (Sprintex Special)
Engine
4 Litre quad cam 32 valve Hand assembled V8

Power
320kW

Supercharger
Sprintex S90

Kerb Weight
1220kg

Wheelbase
2332mm

Track
1460mm

Gearbox
5 speed manual

Power Steering
Variable ratio

Brakes
Cross - drilled and slotted rotors Front 330mm Rear 273mm

Differential
Hydratrak LSD

Wheels
Front ROH 18 x 8 Rear ROH 18 x 9

Tyres
Kumho Supra Front 215/35 Rear 265/35

Standard Accessories
Race Tuned Suspension, Air-conditioning, Power Windows, Leather Sports Seats, Momo Gear Knob and Steering Wheel, Immobiliser and Alpine CD Sound system, Stay Fast Cloth Hood, Speedster Cover.

Need4Speed
03-25-2004, 05:26 AM
Not the best looking car though!!! :rolleyes:
But they (Advanced Engine Components (AEC)) claim that "the Bullet is faster than any Ferrari, Porsche or even a Lamborghini, but only costs a fraction of the price." $118,000AUS

fpv_gtho
03-25-2004, 05:28 AM
also notable is the claimed 550nm torque. if there was something i'd change, i'd probably change the rear diff for something else and maybe put some better rubber on the wheels, ive heard some bad things about the Kumho's, although it was on the Kumho's fitted to the Hyundai Santa fe or Terracan

DrGonzo
03-25-2004, 06:38 AM
I like them. If you check out some of the Serious Performance DVD's, they actually review them.. including the first ever Bullet Roadster which was powered by a 13B turbo.

Sweeney921
03-25-2004, 12:56 PM
I think it looks a lot like a souped up miata, even though they said they had nothing to do with mazda.

fpv_gtho
03-25-2004, 07:16 PM
well really, AEC saying the bullet has nothing to do with the MX-5 is just like Steve Saleen saying his 7.0L S7 engine has nothing to do with a Ford engine, they both have things to bas off but the respective manufacturers change everythign else from that. i would say the bodywork is highly inspired from the MX-5 as thats exactly what it looks like, although there are minor changes in the bodywork, but inder the skin its a complete tubular chassis, strong enough to handle the engine and all other stresses the standard mazda wouldn't have done with a V8 twice the size of the original 4 cylinder

DrGonzo
03-27-2004, 03:35 AM
Um, it actually is a Miata/MX5, but the chassis has been strengthened to allow for the extra power, and a new front end was designed. But all Bullet roadsters were originally Mazdas.

fpv_gtho
03-27-2004, 03:48 AM
i have my doubts, the effort needed to make the chassis handle 320kw/550nm, fit a V8 in the space previosuly occupied by a straight 4 and replace a comventional bonnet with a front clamshell, it would seem better to come up with something unique. AEC said that the AU chassis to them wasnt really strong enough to handle too much over 300kw so i dont know how a small roadster chassis would go

DrGonzo
03-27-2004, 06:08 AM
What you say makes sense, but I have read and seen interviews with the guy who runs Bullet, and they definitely go with a re-worked MX5 chassis.

fpv_gtho
03-28-2004, 01:04 AM
well different people have different meanings for re-worked. in the link i put in the first post, they say they use a completely new space fram chassis and the only MX-5 parts are the boot, doors and windscreen i think.