PDA

View Full Version : Talladega Nights

kingofthering
08-04-2006, 05:14 PM
I saw the new Will Ferrel movie, Talladega nights, the story of Ricky Bobby. The movie is pretty accurate in its physics and it makes fun of the nascar lifestyle because Ricky Bobby is a total dumbass and his friend Cal is also a dumbass. The French F1 racer Jean Girad is the antagonist who is gay (this is used for some pretty funny material) He and his husband Gregory live on a ranch with gay horses and they include some F1 footage (what looks like the williams car in front of the Renault (probably driven by Alonso) to make it look like he is great but it is probably being lapped by the Renault)and they have the commercials that parody the stuff that celebrities make including a japanese commercial where Ricky speaks in japanese and he sells a variety of other products including the official tampon of nascar.
I won't give away the rest of the story and the ending but it is pretty funny.

However, i wonder if some of the people who made the movie are on ultimatecarpage.com because they seem to view nascar the way some of the members view it as something inferior because they drive around in circles, i could easily do it, because the European guy can drink coffee and read and lead the race at the same time. Coincidence?

Equinox
08-04-2006, 06:03 PM
[QUOTE=kingofthering] the official tampon of nascar.[QUOTE]

ummmm... right!:eek:

anyway, i want to see this movie also... i'd like to see him speak japanese!

but i would like to know how NASCAR is a growing sport (the fastest growing sport in North America, i think). I mean drive in circles or ovals or whatever you want to call it at 180 mph, isn't all that interesting to me!

F1_Master
08-04-2006, 08:09 PM
Because that's not where the action lies. It lies with the strategy of the teams racing and the "excitement" of watching the top cars bump each other...and the crashes.

Sackalack GT
08-04-2006, 09:24 PM
It's because, contrary to whatever you may think, the US is populated by a lot of easily amused people and a lot of rednecks, and sadly, they eat this crap up with a spoon.

johnnynumfiv
08-04-2006, 09:32 PM
I just got back from seeing it. I found it hilarious and took all the nascar ridicule light heartidly.

Lets not turn this into another nascar bashing thread.

Equinox
08-04-2006, 11:25 PM
well, i cant say much anyways... i occasionally watch NASCAR!

The_Canuck
08-05-2006, 07:55 AM
Lolz it looks really funny, hope to see it soon.

cmcpokey
08-05-2006, 10:09 AM
i now know a guy racing Cup, so I have been watching it lately... but its still not as interesting as anything with left and right turns.

i really want to see this movie, just to see how much it does make fun of the rednecks that are the primary audience of the sport.

NSXType-R
08-05-2006, 10:53 AM
I don't think I'll see it. I don't exactly like NASCAR and Will Ferrell to me is one of the stupidest idiots I've seen. Not worth my money.

kingofthering
08-05-2006, 05:53 PM
I don't think I'll see it. I don't exactly like NASCAR and Will Ferrell to me is one of the stupidest idiots I've seen. Not worth my money.
Who asked you (to quote the movie) Professor dickweed? :D :p

SolidStradale
08-06-2006, 04:52 PM
I saw it, it had its good parts ( and nasty parts), but overall, it was a good movie

Quiggs
08-06-2006, 05:46 PM
I was laughing histerically the whole time. Great movie.

Equinox
08-06-2006, 08:42 PM
I saw it, it had its good parts ( and nasty parts), but overall, it was a good movie
i hate to ask but what "nasty parts"... i want to see this movie but i dont want to be freaked out!:)

Smithman
08-07-2006, 05:51 AM
I haven't seen this yet, thinking of seeing it next weekend.

I wonder if the folks fighting the track lawsuit will try to leverage the popularity of this movie to help the fight.

Coventrysucks
08-07-2006, 06:04 AM
However, i wonder if some of the people who made the movie are on ultimatecarpage.com because they seem to view nascar the way some of the members view it as something inferior because they drive around in circles, i could easily do it, because the European guy can drink coffee and read and lead the race at the same time. Coincidence?

I would hope that UCP members would be above stereotyping French people as gay...:rolleyes:

rev440
08-07-2006, 07:20 AM
Im seeing it wednesday hopfully its my only day off work.

Coventrysucks
08-07-2006, 07:22 AM
Im seeing it wednesday hopfully its my only day of work.

Your only day of work, or your only day off work?

rev440
08-07-2006, 07:27 AM
Your only day of work, or your only day off work?

Ha thanks its my only day off work besides the weekends but I go to our summer house for the weekend.

RacingManiac
08-07-2006, 07:57 AM
it was pretty funny movie......some hilarious quotes....

byronleehk
08-09-2006, 09:06 AM
Just wondering if there's a lot of racing action in the movie?

RacingManiac
08-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Just wondering if there's a lot of racing action in the movie?

Nothing to write home about, cool crashes though. But then action-packed racing isn't the goal of the movie anyhow.....

gtface
08-10-2006, 12:08 AM
I would hope that UCP members would be above stereotyping French people as gay...:rolleyes:
I don't think they were trying to stereotype all french people as "gay", more likely they thought Sacha Baron Cohen's character would be funnier if he was gay. After all, he does a great job as Bruno on Da Ali G Show. I was actually a little disappointed by Cohen's performance in this movie, though. I think the character's from his TV show are funnier.