PDA

View Full Version : Exhausts....

fordfan2
03-26-2004, 05:33 AM
hI,
Just wondering why that here in Australia we are banned from having exhausts that come out of the side of the car as as far as i can see there is no real danger in having the exhaust coming out from the side i only bring this up as i believe that it looks much better. thanx

ZerK
03-26-2004, 06:11 AM
Cos it blasts exhaust fumes in the faces of pedestrians more than a rear mounted exhaust p'raps :confused:

EvilPaladin
03-26-2004, 06:46 AM
You mean that a car like the Mercedes SLR McLaren is banned from Australia ?

Seems strange to me.

ZerK
03-26-2004, 07:04 AM

Seems strange to me.

Strange? Nah... the Aussies have good taste in cars, that's all :p

Matra et Alpine
03-26-2004, 07:39 AM

Seems strange to me.
Don't know about the SLR McLaren but the Viper for Europe lost the side exit exhaust and had a tamer rear pipe fitted :(

Imagine for a second you're a kiddie in a push chair in a city where your mummy shops :) Now tell me that side exit is OK !!

Personally I don't think the USA have the same concern as people and cars don't mix as much as in Europe :)

EvilPaladin
03-26-2004, 07:59 AM
And what about walking just behind one of those GM Firebird concepts ? :p

fpv_gtho
03-27-2004, 03:14 AM
As for the original question, i think its just a matter of the Australian Design Rules (ADR's), same as the ADR's prohibit you from fitting a shaker scoop to Falcon's made after 1971 or something like that.

With the Viper, the 25 first generation versions that we got as far as i know only had the RHD conversion doen in Victoria. Soon we'll be getting the new Vipers imported through Chrysler Australia on a special order basis to try and get the price cut below $200K

Falcon500
03-28-2004, 05:53 AM
Well their is the issue of fumes and the safety issue of burning ones self on them....if its part of the cars oe equipment you can use it...but if you look closly at such cars as cobra replicas youll find its exaust is usually fake with it really going out the back ;) Also rules here stipulate that the exaust must exit behind the last windoe that can be rolled down...so on utes XBs,monaros you can have the exaust exit just behind the doors....

hangdog98
04-21-2004, 06:08 PM
I was driving along the crowded freeways in western Europe where I was surprised to find that many large trucks had their exhaust outlets pointing right at the passenger window of my rental car. The effect was horrendous (on my passenger).

hangdog98
04-21-2004, 06:16 PM
Why do rice-burner drivers always put an exhaust outlet on their cars that they can fit their head into? Bigger is not better.

There is a point at which exhaust diameter exceeds optimal gas flow. The bigger it gets beyond this point, the slower it goes.

Gas flow potential is doubled when a pipe diameter is increased by just 25%. The bigger the pipe, the slower the flow. The slower the flow, the higher the specific pressure.

Unless you're increasing your engine's volumetric efficiency by 400%, then you won't get better performance by doubling your exhaust diameter.

Questions?

Matra et Alpine
04-21-2004, 06:35 PM
Why do rice-burner drivers always put an exhaust outlet on their cars that they can fit their head into? Bigger is not better.

There is a point at which exhaust diameter exceeds optimal gas flow. The bigger it gets beyond this point, the slower it goes.

Ahh, but you've missed the crucial point on 99% of these cars.....

It is only the last 4 inches where a fat pipe has been stuck on !!
It's all about form, not function :)

Matra et Alpine
04-21-2004, 06:37 PM
I was driving along the crowded freeways in western Europe where I was surprised to find that many large trucks had their exhaust outlets pointing right at the passenger window of my rental car. The effect was horrendous (on my passenger).
You need to drive faster :)

Seriously, it has always amazed me that we don't adopt the American long-time approach of tall pipe stacks. Of course THAT jsut means it's now in the face of all those passengers on the top deck of British busses :)

MrVette83
04-21-2004, 06:48 PM
You need to drive faster :)

Seriously, it has always amazed me that we don't adopt the American long-time approach of tall pipe stacks. Of course THAT jsut means it's now in the face of all those passengers on the top deck of British busses :)

I guess that's why we aren't concerned with it, no double decker buses. :D

Need4Speed
04-21-2004, 08:57 PM
Thats what I was speakin about to my friends a couple of days ago, apparantly, if you have a car manufactured before a certain date and it has side exhaust/s, then you can leave it, its legal.

I guess thay have lots of reasons for these unusual rules, but maby they should take it easy.

when you think of it there aint that many cars which have side exhaus, and those that have changing it isnt that much of a problem.

It doest bother me.
But if i bought a SLR McLaren, i would want it to be original, i would hate to have to play around with it like that. :mad:

crisis
04-22-2004, 12:20 AM
I used to run the gauntlet from the heat trying to defect my poor little old HQ Monaro with pipes that came out behind the rear wheel, (it was the fashion then , and I had a mullet) yet I got gassed regular like by trucks (lorries for Matra) with mufflers laying flat across the front of the front wheels and exiting straight out the side behind the bumper. Didnt sound as good as my V8 either.

Matra et Alpine
04-22-2004, 04:02 AM
I was thinking about the exhaust thing.
Now this is conjecture, I don't know the truth.

BUT, diesel exhaust pollutant is the particles of soot.
These are heavier than air and ARE nasty if ingested into our lungs.

If a truck blasts that exhaust upwrds then it will fall to ground and people are at risk from ALL of the soot.

If it's a side/rear then most of the soot will fall to the ground and it will be below our mouth/nose. Some WILL be turbulent and go higher to settle back down again.

It seems to me (engineer-mode-on ) that high-exit exhausts are a LARGER risk for air-breathing people than low-level. Unless of course you're in a low sportscar or a kiddie in a buggy :(

With modern diesel engines the manufacturers have been investing in attempts to remove these particles from the exhaust. Until they do so - and get all the old ratty trucks/busses off the road - I guess I prefer it exiting low. I admit that I will close the windows and air vents if I see a 'dirty' bus/truck ahead to avoid taking it in.

Sweeney921
04-22-2004, 06:27 AM
good point, i was thinking for a second that the upwards pointing exhaust is good, but i forgot about the exhaust being heavier than normal air.

hangdog98
04-22-2004, 07:36 AM
I should have mentioned that the German trucks with the exhaust outlet low and in the passenger window, also had soot traps, which are like mufflers the size of fuel tanks. No black smoke comes out, ie: no soot.

However.

The dangerous gas in exhaust emmissions is Carbon Monoxide, both for humans and the ozone layer. So whether it goes up or down (it goes up) it is dangerous.

But getting back to the topic, the side exhaust on cars regulation relates to the most rearward opening side window and the exhaust outlet being 18" behind it. This was to protect passengers from exhaust emissions. Of course, everybody's dad drove a station wagon with the rear window wound down and the exhaust gasses filling the car anyway.

For the record, diesel exhaust contains more carbon monoxide than petrol exhaust.

byronleehk
04-22-2004, 08:25 AM
So I would think this exhaust setup is out of the question? :D :D

werty
04-22-2004, 08:39 AM
So I would think this exhaust setup is out of the question? :D :D

my cousin has a cummins deisel exhaust, its very special, it adds 160 horsepower to any diesel truck, and over 200 torque, making his dodge ram, alot faster and he can tow alot more horses and such

not sure what model exhuast it is, but apparently it is very popular

werty
04-22-2004, 08:42 AM
here is a cool video of and sound of the exhuast system i have, sounds awesome!!!!!

www.jbaheaders.com/downloads/03sys.mpg

johnnynumfiv
04-22-2004, 10:35 AM
Sweet sounding exhaust. The best sounding exhaust is that of a car with a lumpy cam. I hate those ricer exhausts, wouldn't you think that the constant waaaa waaaa gets annoying?

crisis
04-22-2004, 05:23 PM
I was thinking about the exhaust thing.
Now this is conjecture, I don't know the truth.

BUT, diesel exhaust pollutant is the particles of soot.
These are heavier than air and ARE nasty if ingested into our lungs.

If a truck blasts that exhaust upwrds then it will fall to ground and people are at risk from ALL of the soot.

If it's a side/rear then most of the soot will fall to the ground and it will be below our mouth/nose. Some WILL be turbulent and go higher to settle back down again.

It seems to me (engineer-mode-on ) that high-exit exhausts are a LARGER risk for air-breathing people than low-level. Unless of course you're in a low sportscar or a kiddie in a buggy :(

With modern diesel engines the manufacturers have been investing in attempts to remove these particles from the exhaust. Until they do so - and get all the old ratty trucks/busses off the road - I guess I prefer it exiting low. I admit that I will close the windows and air vents if I see a 'dirty' bus/truck ahead to avoid taking it in.
Ok. But how about having it exit out the arse end though.

NoOne
04-23-2004, 07:09 AM
I was under the impression that the exhaust was exited high to allow it to dissipate better.

thinker
04-25-2004, 12:48 AM
is a side exhaust system any better than a normal one coming out the back in terms of sound and performance? or is it just the looks?

Matra et Alpine
04-25-2004, 04:57 AM
is a side exhaust system any better than a normal one coming out the back in terms of sound and performance? or is it just the looks?
For a higly-tuned race engine, long pipes are hard to 'tune' to maximise the exhaust gas flow dynamics ( using one pusle to 'pull' exhaust from another cylinfer )
So shorter is easier , but there is a limit :)
Nowadays, I think computer modelling has become sufficient to be smarter with varible diameter tubes to tune any length you chose. Ducati do this on their V-twins withe a varying diamter pipe on the rear cylinder.
Also, the CAT operates as a buffer to a lot of this.
I think a lot of it now is to do with image.
BUT, in Europe, noise emissions are taken from a vechile passing a mic, so a side exhuast ends up failing noise emissions.

thinker
04-25-2004, 02:43 PM
so for instance the roush mustang's side exhaust is just for looks compared to the mustang cobra exhaust then? i heard a roush mustang that sounded pretty good but i have never heard a mustang cobra to compare with

Slicks
04-25-2004, 03:17 PM
here is a cool video of and sound of the exhuast system i have, sounds awesome!!!!!

Nice, now that is what a car should sound like :cool:
Heres an awesome page with a crap load of exhuast sound files.
http://www.exhaustsoundclips.com/gm.html

thinker
04-25-2004, 06:46 PM
that duz sound tite...what exhaust system is that? and that is a cobra rite?

fpv_gtho
04-25-2004, 09:29 PM

i would imagine, that whilst driving the car you would hear the exhaust more clearly from a side exhaust compared to a rear exit exhaust

thinker
04-25-2004, 10:46 PM

sounds nice...but what exhaust system is it?

werty
04-28-2004, 09:20 PM
sounds nice...but what exhaust system is it?

well lets see, JBA exhuasts are made by......... JBA ;)

go to www.jbaheaders.com and see more of their products