PDA

View Full Version : Cellphones

Zambia
03-26-2004, 06:36 AM
Hi

I would like a general opinion here . If you have a cell phone kit fitted in your car is it basically the same as chatting to a passenger . Or is this another accident just waiting for a place to happen.

My allegiance would be with the kit , every car should have one.

Zam

ZerK
03-26-2004, 07:02 AM
The only difference between having a kit fitted and not having one fitted seems to be that with a kit you have both hands on the wheel, otherwise it's the same as chatting with a passenger as far as I can see. If they completely banned the use of mobiles in cars, they may as well ban passengers as well...

Matra et Alpine
03-26-2004, 07:37 AM
The only difference between having a kit fitted and not having one fitted seems to be that with a kit you have both hands on the wheel, otherwise it's the same as chatting with a passenger as far as I can see. If they completely banned the use of mobiles in cars, they may as well ban passengers as well...
One I've heard put forward is that when talking with a passenger IN the car they are aware of the surroundings and the drivers concentration. So if things are happening outside the car or needing the driver to focus, the passenger can see this and will delay talking until the 'danger' is passed.
This isn't possible on a phone and the other person may continue to feed information to the driver and this splits his/her attention - no matter how hard they try to 'ignore' the phone :)
Sound plausible, but there's so little real research on this area that it all gets caught up in scare-mongering.
For me a person lighting a cifarette while driving is infinitely MORE dangerous than talking on the phone. At least you don't take your eyes of the road while speaking !!

silverhawk
03-26-2004, 01:17 PM
the use of cellphones , or as they r called mobile phones here in dubai, unless with a kit. even so most people still drive with holding the phone with one hand or holding it between their head & shoulder to keep both their hands on the wheel. my dad has a kit which includes the phone holder & a small ear phone which i think is necessary in every car. the earphone has a button on the wire to accept incoming calls & not disturb the driver.
talking thru a cellphone is very different than talking to a passenger. ive seen my dad talk on the phone while driving & talk to my mom. the use of cellphones is necessary, obligatory or just unnecessary depending on the situation.

henk4
03-26-2004, 03:05 PM
Any mobile phone will distract the attention of the driver. In Holland only the use of handsfree kits is allowed, and when your caught with a phone in your hand you have to hand over 138 Euro.
My experience with drivers talking on the phone during driving is that they loose concentration, slow down unnecessarily and forget about the outside world. This observation is also valid for people using a kit. There is every reason to prohibit using any phone during driving.
Matra's point that a passenger is also involved in the riding process and can refrain from talking if the situation demands so, is correct. Banning passengers could also be useful sometimes, as they tend to interfere (my wife for example). Matra's point on lighting a cigarette is also correct as might be the case for changing a CD or trying to adjust the radio. I think watching the navaid falls under the same category.
In short, driving in dense traffic requires full attention of the driver, and anything that reduces this attention should be considered with great concern.
For those interested, yes I have a cell phone, and when I have to make a call when in the car, I'll park first. Furthermore I don't smoke, have no navaid and listen to one radio station only.

Misho
03-26-2004, 07:44 PM
[QUOTE=Matra et Alpine]One I've heard put forward is that when talking with a passenger IN the car they are aware of the surroundings and the drivers concentration. So if things are happening outside the car or needing the driver to focus, the passenger can see this and will delay talking until the 'danger' is passed.
[QUOTE]

good point. i totally agree with the fact that a human companion could actually alter his conversation based on the driving conditions he also sees.
although not all poeple belong in that category !! :)
i also find that when talking to passenger you can concentrate more on the road then when on a cell phone, even though it might be the same conversation. even better, with a passenger you can always threaten to kick them out of the car if they don't shut up !!

wanted to give u +1 but i was caught by the rep police as they seem to be called. isnt it time we get rid of this spreading rep around rule ?!!

fpv_gtho
03-27-2004, 12:29 AM
One I've heard put forward is that when talking with a passenger IN the car they are aware of the surroundings and the drivers concentration. So if things are happening outside the car or needing the driver to focus, the passenger can see this and will delay talking until the 'danger' is passed.
This isn't possible on a phone and the other person may continue to feed information to the driver and this splits his/her attention - no matter how hard they try to 'ignore' the phone :)
Sound plausible, but there's so little real research on this area that it all gets caught up in scare-mongering.
For me a person lighting a cifarette while driving is infinitely MORE dangerous than talking on the phone. At least you don't take your eyes of the road while speaking !!

you should try rolling a cigarett whilst trying to drive with your knee's, its something my dad's tried heaps and hasnt crashed yet

henk4
03-27-2004, 12:56 AM
you should try rolling a cigarett whilst trying to drive with your knee's, its something my dad's tried heaps and hasnt crashed yet

May be he is destined to die from the cigaret and not from a car crash?? ;)

fpv_gtho
03-27-2004, 03:05 AM
well he managed to quit smoking but driving with his knees is just something he does. his driving style though is something that could get someone killed

henk4
03-27-2004, 04:05 AM
well he managed to quit smoking but driving with his knees is just something he does. his driving style though is something that could get someone killed

get your father to read your posts :)

Zambia
03-27-2004, 06:01 AM
I have to say , that although i love the car kit if i have to dial while driving it gets a bit hairy. Drinking coffee while driving is another little crime i also tend to engage in. Doing both now thats a nasty turn of events !!! :eek:

fpv_gtho
03-28-2004, 01:05 AM
get your father to read your posts :)

lol i dont have a deathwish, if you know what i mean

henk4
03-28-2004, 01:28 AM
lol i dont have a deathwish, if you know what i mean

I suppose he is stronger than you.

fpv_gtho
03-28-2004, 01:31 AM
he's got about 30 years of being a boilermaker in his favour so yeah i guess with the fact hes still taller than me i think i'd come off second best against him

henk4
03-28-2004, 01:45 AM
he's got about 30 years of being a boilermaker in his favour so yeah i guess with the fact hes still taller than me i think i'd come off second best against him

do you still have time to catch up?

fpv_gtho
03-28-2004, 01:50 AM
yeah i see him every fortnight and i guess generally we get along alright, plus i dont really have the confidence to stand up to him as yet and tell him to his face what i really think of him

crisis
03-29-2004, 12:33 AM
Any mobile phone will distract the attention of the driver.

Matra's point that a passenger is also involved in the riding process and can refrain from talking if the situation demands so, is correct. Banning passengers could also be useful sometimes, as they tend to interfere (my wife for example).

In short, driving in dense traffic requires full attention of the driver, and anything that reduces this attention should be considered with great concern.
For those interested, yes I have a cell phone, and when I have to make a call when in the car, I'll park first. Furthermore I don't smoke, have no navaid and listen to one radio station only.
Total vigilance, total concentration. Under the heading of "Automotive idiot stories" comes another classic from the annals ( or should that be anals ) of Crisis's driving history. Sitting behind a car in traffic one day with an ancient "car phone", on speaker, talking to the office, the car in the turning lane took off next to me and I followed. Straight into the back of the lady in front of me who was correctly stationery awaiting a green light. Driving in traffic requires total concentration, as you rightly say.
Like the cheap shot at the missus, although the really "good" ones "help" you drive. Two heads are better than one eh. Nothing like being second guessed when the pressures on.

henk4
03-29-2004, 12:49 AM
now that you'r asking, "anals" is probably correct.