PDA

View Full Version : Epica: The newest Korean to join Holden...

adrenaline
08-14-2006, 04:24 AM
Move over Vectra: It's Epica!

Holden dealers get excited by the late-2006 release of a new medium sedan - Epica

By ANDREW MacLEAN 14 August 2006 for goauto.com.au

The Vectra is dead!

Not only will Holden change tack with its new mid-sized fighter, replacing the European-sourced Vectra with a Korean-built Daewoo, it will swap the long-standing Vectra nameplate for Epica.

The four-door sedan is called the Tosca in its domestic market - an acronym for "Tomorrow Standard Car" - but a source confirmed to GoAuto that Holden will adopt its European name for the local market.

Although Holden's corporate bodyguards remained tight-lipped about the Epica name, and any launch plans, the car has been previewed by Australian dealers alongside the four-wheel drive Captiva and VE Commodore range, signalling a potential showroom arrival before the end of the year.

The Epica is the next-generation of Daewoo's mid-sized sedan, codenamed V250, and replaces the Magnus, which, coincidentally, was sold in Canada and Latin American markets as the Epica.

The vehicle made its global premiere as the Chevrolet Epica at the 2006 Geneva motor show in March, highlighting the importance of the nameplate, and is likely to be seen for the first time locally at the Australian International Motor Show in Sydney in late October.

The Epica will be the conclusion of a massive year for Holden and the latest piece of its Daewoo-sourced value puzzle that already includes Barina and Viva and the upcoming Captiva.

The car is unique in the mid-sized segment, where it will fight with the likes of the top-selling Mazda6, Honda Accord, Hyundai Sonata and the latest generation Camry, in that is powered by a transverse-mounted in-line six-cylinder - similar to the Volvo S80 and XC90 - in either a 104kW 2.0-litre or 115kW 2.5-litre configuration.

It is unknown if Holden will offer both versions of the engine, but it is likely to provide a logical model progression between value in a base-model to a fully-loaded flagship.

The engines drive the front wheels through either a five-speed manual or five-speed automatic.

Surprisingly, considering it was designed in-house, the exterior styling is neat and contemporary, while the clumsy-looking Magnus was penned by famed Italian stylists Guigaro.

Holden dealers are said to be excited about Epica's potential for them to get back into the growing mid-sized market with a price-fighter that has some substance.

All this Daewoo garbage is seriously annoying me. Let's hope this is better than the Barina (which was/ is dismal.) Epica sounds a bit cheesy to me...

adrenaline
08-14-2006, 04:28 AM
KoreA: EpicA, BarinA, CaptivA, VivA ... They like 'A' being at the end :D

fpv_gtho
08-14-2006, 05:01 AM
Vectra, Corsa, Tigra.....it stems further than Korea. It seems to simply be a common GM theme.

I dont like the idea personally, Holden are kidding themselves selling cheapo imports but trying to push the Commodore upmarket.

motorsportnerd
08-14-2006, 05:06 AM
Noticed the power outputs. The is seriously down on power and way off the class pace. No mention of torque, so I assume that's also off the pace.
The Vectra was at the bottom end of the mid-size class for power (108kW), but even that has more power than this. Class average is now over 120kW.
I remember in the early to mid-90s when Nissan released the Bluebird with a 110kW motor and thinking that was pretty damn good. But that was 1993. That car was much lighter than today's class average also. This is 2006. How can only 104kW four in what will likely be a heavy car cut it. And a six with only 110kW? How long is it since I saw figures that low for a six?

fpv_gtho
08-14-2006, 05:10 AM
Even the V6 Mondeo was 125kw when Ford sold it here last, and that was a 2.5L as well.

adrenaline
08-14-2006, 05:11 AM
110kW in a 6 is a waste of cylinders. They could get that from a 4!!

motorsportnerd
08-14-2006, 05:41 AM
A six clyinder will always be smoother and more refined than a four - unless badly designed of course. However, 110kW?:confused: That's just pointless in todays environment.
Anyone know how heavy this car will be? It better be well below class average since its power is also below average.
There isn't much wrong with the Vectra apart from a lack of promotion. The old model was super value for money, sold well, handled well, performed well. Bit dodgey in the reliability department, but it was still a good, solid performer for Holden. Hell, I almost bought one.
The current Vectra is everything the first one was, plus better built and more reliable, arguably better looking. Except that when first released it was too expensive. Now, the pricing is very competitive - $24,990 for the CD manual sedan. So all they have to do is promote it. OK, its not the best in class, but it is significantly cheaper than the Mazda6 and probably 80-85% as capable. So, why get rid of it? Bring the facelifted version of the Vectra in instead of this cheap, underpower Korean imitation....

fpv_gtho
08-14-2006, 05:50 AM
The engine will be heavy, I6's are always heavier than equivalent V6's so thats already a negative there.

Revolution
08-14-2006, 07:09 AM
110kW in a 6 is a waste of cylinders. They could get that from a 4!!
Heh, mum's Lancer has more than that :cool:
Any pics of the Epica as yet?

SlickHolden
08-14-2006, 08:30 AM
What happen to the 2.8lt or 3.2lt? Maybe in time it might be stuck in the car?.

Now there will be no more hanging on the Viva as my mate's just bought 1:D,
They traded in the VR Berlina and pick it up on Wednesday.

Blue Supra
08-14-2006, 02:36 PM
Holdens kidding themselves, i alrerady know people who havent renewed lease agreements with holden because they dont want a korean car. They ge focus' and swifts etc instead.

monaroCountry
08-14-2006, 05:25 PM
People in this segment are more concerned about fuel economy and price. This car should deliver on both fronts.

Better have a car that earns Holden $$$$ and dent the opposition than having a car that cost holden $$$$ and sell at low volume.

SlickHolden
08-14-2006, 07:06 PM
With Holden and GM's support i think in time Deawoo can become stronger, But there will always be that Korean stigma around them, Now trust me i will let you all know how my friends Korean built car goes;).

john14
08-14-2006, 08:08 PM
Stereotypes and generalisations are terrible and often incorrect/not true in many cases. My Dad has owned two cars that were made in Korea (Hyundai Lantra's) and they were both very good cars.

Also, I think this will be a good move for Holden but this new car will have to compete against some very good (other) Asian cars... the Japanese Mazda 6, Honda Accord and Korea's Hyundai Sonata.

P.S. The Honda Accord is made in Thailand and not Japan? Correct?

SlickHolden
08-14-2006, 11:09 PM
Yeah Hyundai are going real good now with some good quality nice powerful cars.

The epica wont have the Go or the class of the Vectra, But in it's advantage will be it's loaded with sinks and cheaper, Maybe just above the correct Astra.

I'm actually shocked that many cars are not made where you think they come from.

adrenaline
08-14-2006, 11:13 PM
Stereotypes and generalisations are terrible and often incorrect/not true in many cases. My Dad has owned two cars that were made in Korea (Hyundai Lantra's) and they were both very good cars.

Also, I think this will be a good move for Holden but this new car will have to compete against some very good (other) Asian cars... the Japanese Mazda 6, Honda Accord and Korea's Hyundai Sonata.

P.S. The Honda Accord is made in Thailand and not Japan? Correct?

Daewoos are, in general, crap. End of story. Just look at the new Barina. It gets burned in every review.

Hyundai is the next toyota.

motorsportnerd
08-15-2006, 04:48 AM
Hyundai is the next toyota.

Which is a good or a bad thing depending on your view.

Slick, you mentioned the Epica will cheap and loaded. Take a look at the Vectra's specification and equipment levels. There's not much else under $25K that can match it. I know its on runout, but the Vectra is seriously good value at the moment.

adrenaline
08-15-2006, 04:54 AM

That's a good thing minus the refrigerators (If you get what I mean)...

SlickHolden
08-15-2006, 08:34 AM

Slick, you mentioned the Epica will cheap and loaded. Take a look at the Vectra's specification and equipment levels. There's not much else under $25K that can match it. I know its on runout, but the Vectra is seriously good value at the moment.
And my mum would love one before it leaves to:(. But the first prices for them were to high up with the Berlina price way to much. They did a good thing with the CD giving it a option on the V6 but the CDXI was a great car just to pricey, My friends wanted a Vectra but to expensive.
If the Vectra was a RWD car i would drive one i like the look of it and the equipment it had was a nice car.

fpv_gtho
08-15-2006, 04:16 PM
I think you'd give a Proton a serious look Slick if they had a RWD :p

adrenaline
08-15-2006, 11:41 PM
And my mum would love one before it leaves to:(. But the first prices for them were to high up with the Berlina price way to much. They did a good thing with the CD giving it a option on the V6 but the CDXI was a great car just to pricey, My friends wanted a Vectra but to expensive.
If the Vectra was a RWD car i would drive one i like the look of it and the equipment it had was a nice car.

Just get a used one then:D Save $$ :D

SlickHolden
08-16-2006, 02:11 AM
Just get a used one then:D Save $$ :D
There was a Vectra CDXI there today. But after we seen the VE my mum wants a VE now.
Funny thing she didn't know what it was as we enter the show room, She said to me this car would be good for me it's smaller, I went:eek: Mum thats the new VE:p. They really hide there size somehow?.

And my mate's got there new Viva today traded in the VR Berlina they only got $2100 for it:eek: I might have considered buying it if the tranny wasn't on the way out.
Here are some pic's. We went for a drive and it was alright, It's good good sound proofing very hard to here the outside world, Little soft in the suspension but i do drive a lowered car:D Hits bumps nice but again i do drive a lowered car:D. Pretty roomy inside doesn't look big at all but is bigger inside as many are now a days.
http://picsorban.com/upload/100_0500.jpg http://picsorban.com/upload/100_0504.jpg http://picsorban.com/upload/viva.jpg

motorsportnerd
08-16-2006, 06:01 AM

So, that leaves a used Commodore, and um - guess the opposition (you know - the one with a blue oval) for you then:p . Unless you like used Bimmers, Mercs, middle aged Japanese coupes or old classics.

SlickHolden
08-16-2006, 07:22 AM
So, that leaves a used Commodore, and um - guess the opposition (you know - the one with a blue oval) for you then:p . Unless you like used Bimmers, Mercs, middle aged Japanese coupes or old classics.
Oh nah i like the Aussie boys them fancy Nancy pancy richy things can stay where they are lol.
I got my eye again on a car, It's not a good idea with the VP and about half way in fixing it up, But I'm starting to loose patients with it cause i know it's going to take some time to get it right, And if i had another car i might be able to have it sit around more and take my time and save more up.
The car i got in my head right now is a VS II Berlina 5.0lt, And i don't know where that came from:D.

I have been given offers every from brothers mates to my mechanic to paint my car really cheap, Supply the paint and ready the car for painting and they will paint it bake it clear it for $500. Sounds great but i would rather have it running perfect before i consider the look of it.

STREETFIRE
10-31-2006, 12:45 AM
God help us... The Vectra has turned Korean. Just like the Barina. Crap.

adrenaline
10-31-2006, 01:48 AM
The Captiva is Korean yet it still got some reasonable reviews. I do agree the whole Korean venture is crap though.

The Euro Vectra was never well received anyway, it's not like Holden has something to lose.

2ndclasscitizen
10-31-2006, 02:18 AM
The Euro Vectra was never well received anyway, it's not like Holden has something to lose.That was more down to price than anything else, it was just to expensive.

fpv_gtho
10-31-2006, 04:17 AM
The Captiva is Korean yet it still got some reasonable reviews. I do agree the whole Korean venture is crap though.

Well GM fixed one area Korean cars have always fallen on their arse by giving it a normal development cycle, rather than an 18 month cycle where they pick up on all the technologies sold for 50c at the cheap shop, and never going for something groundbreaking. Alot of people though are expecting the interest in Korea and China for cheap manufacturing to end soon as their standard of living for production workers drastically increases with the increase in interest, China in particular.

monaroCountry
10-31-2006, 05:41 PM
Noticed the power outputs. The is seriously down on power and way off the class pace. No mention of torque, so I assume that's also off the pace.

The Camry has 117kw and 9.9L/100km. If what ive heard are true then this Epica should return a fuel economy rating of 8.2L/100km. For a medium car this isnt too bad.

perryz
11-02-2006, 04:44 AM
Comparing a manual epica to an auto camry is kinda retarded.