PDA

View Full Version : Citroën Traction Avant

lfb666
03-27-2004, 05:36 PM
Citroën Traction Avant

I Love this Car!! I have admiration for that car.

When it was introduced in 1934, the Traction Avant was recognised as being one of the most revolutionary cars available. Along with front wheel drive it incorporated unitary construction, torsion bar suspension and hydraulic brakes. Performance was notable for its tenacious roadholding and comfort was superior to any of its peers. The car's styling was also advanced with a raked radiator and screen, low build and a degree of streamlining. The Traction's sporty appearance became a familiar sight on the roads of both Britain and Europe.
The Traction was built around the world, including Britain, where it was known as the Light Fifteen and the Big Fifteen, and trimmed in wood and leather to appeal to more traditional anglo-saxon tastes.
The Traction was shown to an astonished public on 18 April 1934 and remained in production until 1957, at which point it was still in advance of most of its contemporaries in most areas apart from styling.
The development costs of the Traction bankrupted the company and it was taken over by its largest creditor, Michelin, who would remain in control until the mid seventies.

The Traction offered unparallelled levels of comfort, handling and roadholding compared with its contemporaries.

The first model launched was the 7A, fitted with a 32 bhp 1,3 litre engine, quickly followed by the more powerful 7B with a 1,5 litre engine developing 35 bhp and the 46 bhp 1,9 litre 7 Sport.

The 7C was launched in 1935, equipped with a 1,6 litre engine developing 36 bhp it replaced the 7B.

The 7 Sport was replaced by the 11 Légère.

The 7A was available as a 4 door berline only, the 7B and 7 Sport also being available as a faux cabriolet and roadster.

Links:

http://www.citroen.mb.ca/citroenet/html/c/cars-11.htm

http://www.cats-citroen.net/

lfb666
03-27-2004, 05:38 PM
More Pics.............

Hansv
03-27-2004, 07:18 PM
Hi there, lfb666;

You sure know your classics! The traction is the very car that's mostly responsible for me being some kind of a car nut. My father started working with cars after WW2 at a Citroën garage, with mainly Tractions to keep him busy. Sadly he past away some three years ago, but he definitely handed his passion for cars to me. Nice pictures!

Hispano Swissa
03-30-2004, 06:50 AM
For more than twenty years, the Citroën Traction Avant was the most significant French car. During the occupation it was favourite of both the SS and the FFI, and after the war it was common among the public administration as well as criminal gangs.
Its styling is typical of the year 1934, the beginning of streamilining in mass production automobiles. While it remained technically ahead of the competition throughuot its carrier, its styling changed very little and so it already looked quite outdated when production resumed after WW2. It was out of the question for Citroën to significantly alter its sheetmetal to mark a new model year, as was at the time the habit of Detroit.
This combination of being advanced while looking mildly conservative, was not detrimental to the Traction's success, and in my opinion was far more reasonable than all those less-advanced cars looking like space-age winged fantasies, so fashionable in the fifties.
When time came to replace the Traction, Citroën did it again with the DS, which left a similar mark on the autombile world for another twenty years and more.
That one still looks space-age.

stratos
03-30-2004, 07:18 AM
isnt that car the old Gangters car ? ..... :confused:

henk4
03-30-2004, 10:53 AM
When time came to replace the Traction, Citroën did it again with the DS, which left a similar mark on the autombile world for another twenty years and more.
That one still looks space-age.

Little known is the fact that the top model in the range, the six cylinder model 15, in the final stages of its production, was already fitted with the revolutionary hydropneumatic suspension system, albeit for the rear wheels only. As you said, the DS combined the revolutionary technology with a space age exterior.

DasModell
03-30-2004, 03:26 PM
a top car for the period .. one that showed ..and shows . that french do build wonderful cars :) . one of my all time favorites