PDA

View Full Version : Around Australia for less than $1000

adrenaline
08-30-2006, 12:00 AM
Around Oz for less than $1000

FORD has raised LPG public awareness running their gas-powered Falcon around Australia for under $1000. And they did it with $2.45 to spare.

Their timing couldn't have been better, coming as the Federal Government announced grants of up to $1000 for dedicated liquefied petroleum gas vehicles and $2000 for LPG conversions.

Around Australia project architect Andrew Ellis said it was a stroke of luck.

“We planned this early in the year and not as some people seem to think as an immediate response to the Government grants for LPG,” he said. “We wanted to keep the Falcon product out there and with fuel prices an issue we thought we would display the benefits of LPG.”

And they certainly did, driving more than 13,950km around Australia on $997.55 worth of gas.

The Ford E-Gas range includes the Falcon XT sedan and wagon, Futura sedan and wagon, Fairmont, XR6 ute and the limited-edition pack Falcon SR.

Demand for E-Gas Falcons has risen 300 per cent in the current climate.

LPG was first used in Australia's taxi fleets as long ago as 1970.

Back in the early '90s this writer ran a dual-fuel LPG/petrol XE Ford Falcon and the price of gas was about 25 a litre.

It never missed a beat doing the Brisbane-Sydney run without stopping and using petrol only as a back-up.

These days LPG varies around 60 and is available in most places around the country. Last week LPG cost 56.9, but the price varied as much as 20 on the run from Brisbane-Tamworth.

It is actually safer than petrol with shut-off valves to prevent the gas tank from exploding in an accident. Tanks must be checked and crack tested every 10 years.

The Falcon E-Gas is the only production car in Australia that runs solely on LPG. The petrol tank, fuel lines and pumps of the normal Falcon have been stripped out to fit LPG tanks and the engine cylinder head re-designed solely for gas use.

The engine is essentially the same as the four-litre, straight six-cylinder but running on gas it has about 18 per cent less power (156kW compared with 190kW), but only fractionally less torque (374Nm against 383Nm).
It comes with the standard four-speed sequential shift auto transmission only and cruises at 2000rpm at 110km/h.

An LPG car should use about a third more fuel than an equivalent petrol car. But when LPG costs 50 to 60 a litre in some country areas when petrol is $1.25 to $1.40, it doesn't take long to be in front.

To allow room for the 93-litre gas tank under the boot, the spare wheel has been moved inside the boot. It's neatly carpeted and although it drops boot space by about 20 per cent. small items can be tucked around the spare.

www.lpgautogas.com.au

This isn't especially brand new news, but Carsguide only just published it. Doesn't Holden have a dual fuel? If they do, carsguide should put it up against Ford's LPG in a comparo :D:D

Overall, pretty awesome effort to get a big 6 cylinder around the country for under 1k!! :eek:

HSVLVR
08-30-2006, 02:14 AM

FORD has raised LPG public awareness running their gas-powered Falcon around Australia for under $1000. And they did it with $2.45 to spare.

This isn't especially brand new news, but Carsguide only just published it. Doesn't Holden have a dual fuel? If they do, carsguide should put it up against Ford's LPG in a comparo :D:D

Overall, pretty awesome effort to get a big 6 cylinder around the country for under 1k!! :eek:

As far as I'm concerned, that's pretty good but don't forget that Ford's actually run better on LPG(even though you lose a few KW)

fpv_gtho
08-30-2006, 03:42 AM

I thought Holden's was something like a dealer fitted option, but the point they're trying to make is Ford is the only one with a Dedicated LPG mode.

Blue Supra
08-30-2006, 05:27 AM
we drive an LPG falcon for work, its great. Id easily have one if i had a family to moce around. only annoyance is the time it takes to fill up.

fpv_gtho
08-30-2006, 06:18 AM
Hopefully '08 will bring an upgraded injection system. I dont know how much longer Ford can last with their current outdated system as its not only less powerful and less efficient, but its also restricting them implementing TC, which leads to ESP not being implemented either.

acemotorsport
08-30-2006, 06:21 AM
As far as I'm concerned, that's pretty good but don't forget that Ford's actually run better on LPG(even though you lose a few KW)
and this in coming from a fanboy

2ndclasscitizen
08-30-2006, 06:23 AM
Where in God's name did you pull that from?

SlickHolden
08-30-2006, 06:38 AM
Last i herd of this was on the ford forum some time ago, They weren't confidante of it achieving the goal. But they did it. What would it cost in fuel but?.

When gas hits 90c and people run say 5-9 litres per 100 more then a petrol car they will not complain about it. And yet when paying $1.25 and using less per 100 they will bitch and moan.
Actually with the way fuel economy is heading with cars now the only one to be a guzzler is the LPG cars.

I still have to wonder how long does it take when buying a gas car of any sort to make that extra money spent back?.

fpv_gtho
08-30-2006, 06:41 AM
According to Ford, the $1400 option for E-Gas would take under a year to earn back if you drove 20,000km's. I think thats eligible for the $1K grant now as well from the government.

SlickHolden
08-30-2006, 06:58 AM
So that would take me 2-3 years:D. the grant helps big but do you get that grant on a new car with gas also?.

Blitz_
08-30-2006, 08:30 AM
Anyone watch the 60minute report about the maximum peak of fuel? To be honest it scared the bejevus out of me. Where its that point were we are demanding much more barrels of fuel than what is being supplied. There are fears that discoveries of (profitable) oil sumps are dissapearing. If something even comes close to maximum peak, the world might bend towards a fearful few decades :|

The world should wake up, we really do rely on oil much, much too much.

SlickHolden
08-30-2006, 08:55 AM
That was the plan scare us to act. I like the comment of going back to the 1900's of no cars:p.

Coventrysucks
08-30-2006, 08:56 AM
The world should wake up, we really do rely on oil much, much too much.

The funny part will be watching the world trying to think up suitable alternatives to plastic.

Using a rough calculation, if you got 50mpg, and got the lowest prices for the stuff all the way, you could just about do it with diesel.

syko
08-30-2006, 09:17 AM
The funny part will be watching the world trying to think up suitable alternatives to plastic

and tar among other things

kingofthering
08-30-2006, 11:39 AM
so... what did they do with the 2.45? did they buy a soda with it? :D

fpv_gtho
08-30-2006, 07:54 PM
So that would take me 2-3 years:D. the grant helps big but do you get that grant on a new car with gas also?.

Its $1K on new cars with LPG, and $2K on aftermarket conversions.

So in effect its really only a $400 option so long as the government keeps offering the grants.

nota
08-30-2006, 08:34 PM
When gas hits 90c and people run say 5-9 litres per 100 more then a petrol car they will not complain about it. And yet when paying $1.25 and using less per 100 they will bitch and moan.
Actually with the way fuel economy is heading with cars now the only one to be a guzzler is the LPG cars.

I still have to wonder how long does it take when buying a gas car of any sort to make that extra money spent back?.
No tune-up yet but the 4.0 gas Falcon we recently bought has halved the weekly fuel spend, as compared to the old 2.8 litre Mercedes on petrol

For us that's an approx $3600 saving per year @ current prices

HSVLVR
08-30-2006, 11:46 PM
and this in coming from a fanboy

Everyone was telling me to grow-up so I did!:D

acemotorsport
08-30-2006, 11:53 PM
finaly

SlickHolden
08-31-2006, 12:45 AM
Buy a pie:D

2ndclasscitizen
08-31-2006, 01:07 AM
Now, can you stop posting in that annoying font? That'd just be super.

HSVLVR
08-31-2006, 02:35 AM
Now, can you stop posting in that annoying font? That'd just be super.

Alright, alright!

Blue Supra
08-31-2006, 02:49 AM
yay! :D

SlickHolden
08-31-2006, 07:22 AM
No tune-up yet but the 4.0 gas Falcon we recently bought has halved the weekly fuel spend, as compared to the old 2.8 litre Mercedes on petrol

For us that's an approx $3600 saving per year @ current prices
See for me it just won't cut it i drive almost everyday but not in big distance. Take me a good couple of years to save some money.

nota
09-01-2006, 03:12 AM
See for me it just won't cut it i drive almost everyday but not in big distance. Take me a good couple of years to save some money.
Not any more Slick. I'm not trying to convince you because you obviously don't want to convert. But if you crunch the numbers then the cost-arguement for LPG is quite convincing ..

I'd guess an older car like yours might cost around $2500 to convert?

Subtracting the free $2000 govt rebate would leave you with a $500 payback to cost-neutral status, which you should comfortably achieve after only a dozen tankfills or so. And from that day on your fuel bills should be approx 50% of what you are currently paying

Perhaps your saving will be even greater, as Melbourne is the home of cheap LPG

Zero excise on LPG is guaranteed until 2011 (govt 'core-promise' lol) when excise progressively ramps up in 2.5 cent annual increments to a maximum of 15 cents per litre from 2015. This planned level of excise from 2015 is still less than half of the current petrol tax you pay today (33 cents p/L?) and even after 2015 it is predicted that LPG motorists should realise a 25% saving in fuel costs over petrol

Btw our old '93 Falcon ED 4-litre auto has 276,000kms up, and over the last two tankfuls it has indicated an average of 22 mpg (12.8 L/100km) while running on LPG. At my local fuel prices this equates to an spectacular cost-equivalent to petrol of approx 55 mpg (5.1 L/100km)

More modern LPG cars are capable of even better economy - for example the around-Australia LPG Ford Fairmont BF (the subject of this thread) regularly achieved more than 900 km on one tank of LPG, and averaged 27.7 mpg (10.2 L/100km) during the 13,950 km trip, which at my local fuel prices equates to over 68 mpg :eek: or 4.1 L/100km

kingofthering
09-01-2006, 07:14 AM
why do you want to save money on fuel in Australia? there's a brothel that offers a 20 cents per liter discount when you bring in your fuel bill.

fpv_gtho
09-01-2006, 07:16 AM
Wow, so theres one brothel in one tiny part of the country, so thats supposed to set the standard for the rest of the country?

Looked at a map lately?

acemotorsport
09-01-2006, 07:28 AM
why do you want to save money on fuel in Australia? there's a brothel that offers a 20 cents per liter discount when you bring in your fuel bill.
yay where is it :D

caz_375
09-01-2006, 07:58 AM

what a stupid comment....you don't get out much do you ?

SlickHolden
09-01-2006, 09:50 AM
Not any more Slick. I'm not trying to convince you because you obviously don't want to convert. But if you crunch the numbers then the cost-arguement for LPG is quite convincing ..

I'd guess an older car like yours might cost around $2500 to convert?

Subtracting the free $2000 govt rebate would leave you with a $500 payback to cost-neutral status, which you should comfortably achieve after only a dozen tankfills or so. And from that day on your fuel bills should be approx 50% of what you are currently paying

Perhaps your saving will be even greater, as Melbourne is the home of cheap LPG

Zero excise on LPG is guaranteed until 2011 (govt 'core-promise' lol) when excise progressively ramps up in 2.5 cent annual increments to a maximum of 15 cents per litre from 2015. This planned level of excise from 2015 is still less than half of the current petrol tax you pay today (33 cents p/L?) and even after 2015 it is predicted that LPG motorists should realise a 25% saving in fuel costs over petrol

Btw our old '93 Falcon ED 4-litre auto has 276,000kms up, and over the last two tankfuls it has indicated an average of 22 mpg (12.8 L/100km) while running on LPG. At my local fuel prices this equates to an spectacular cost-equivalent to petrol of approx 55 mpg (5.1 L/100km)

More modern LPG cars are capable of even better economy - for example the around-Australia LPG Ford Fairmont BF (the subject of this thread) regularly achieved more than 900 km on one tank of LPG, and averaged 27.7 mpg (10.2 L/100km) during the 13,950 km trip, which at my local fuel prices equates to over 68 mpg :eek: or 4.1 L/100km
Maybe from new but not in it's old age, Also I'm looking to go faster and really wouldn't want gas to power it. But if i bought a new car tomorrow i would consider it if it was a 6, I'm not sold on diesel still might take some time to win me over on that one. I read if there is a bad batch of petrol cars won't notice it power wise. But when it's diesel it's a different story. We might not have good enough quality diesel yet.
I think if a got gas on my car it might die faster :D. But i am looking at a 2004 reco engine for $700.

nota
09-01-2006, 01:52 PM
No worries Slick - you're cool. Mate it's your car & your wallet, and I didn't mean to appear to browbeat .. but may have! :o

If it's an ok unit then imo a mere 700 bucks for a two year-old motor sounds like very good value

That's getting your cheap fuel from a different kind of 'pump' ;)

kingofthering
09-01-2006, 06:28 PM
what a stupid comment....you don't get out much do you ?
It's a joke..... Anyway, i live in America, not Australia.

fpv_gtho
09-01-2006, 07:37 PM
Maybe from new but not in it's old age, Also I'm looking to go faster and really wouldn't want gas to power it. But if i bought a new car tomorrow i would consider it if it was a 6, I'm not sold on diesel still might take some time to win me over on that one. I read if there is a bad batch of petrol cars won't notice it power wise. But when it's diesel it's a different story. We might not have good enough quality diesel yet.
I think if a got gas on my car it might die faster :D. But i am looking at a 2004 reco engine for $700.

Well if you get LPG, you might not actually be able to go faster, but you can afford to be on 100% throttle for more :p

SlickHolden
09-02-2006, 10:48 AM
No worries Slick - you're cool. Mate it's your car & your wallet, and I didn't mean to appear to browbeat .. but may have! :o

If it's an ok unit then imo a mere 700 bucks for a two year-old motor sounds like very good value

That's getting your cheap fuel from a different kind of 'pump' ;)
No i like to here about gas since I'm a gas hater from long ago when it was bad, Now i know it's much better now a days and with everyone using it and using it with such success it's growing on me more and more. Espically now you can run gas with barley any power loss at all it's very good to those that don't want to drop power, Like me:D. My Auntie had lpg on a old ford the power loss was huge but it was a long time ago and things are better now.

Well if you get LPG, you might not actually be able to go faster, but you can afford to be on 100% throttle for more :p
That sounds good:D
Would Love a 15 sec LPG VP:D

fpv_gtho
09-02-2006, 11:23 AM
My dad had an XF ute in pieces that may have done under 12's with LPG.....

syko
09-02-2006, 11:57 AM
My family had a duel fuel car once took for every to fill up. Was pretty good for long trips, we drove from Melbourne to Alice springs on 2 fill ups.

SlickHolden
09-03-2006, 12:02 AM
Should get a big sign on the roof "and it's only on GAS:D"
About 7-8 years ago i had to fill a van up with LPG, First and last time i attempted it, I screwed the head on nice till it would go anymore, But for some reason it spat out huge amounts of gas on my hand and arm, Couldn't shake the sting i had for hours my arm felt dead.

HSVLVR
09-03-2006, 01:06 AM
My dad had an XF ute in pieces that may have done under 12's with LPG.....

What about GAS747, it runs 10's on gas.