PDA

View Full Version : is there any way to get itunes on a non motorola

acemotorsport
09-01-2006, 03:44 AM
as the title says

Rockefella
09-01-2006, 04:12 AM
If the phone supports .mp3 then I suppose it can.. but I know very little about adding software to cellphones.

twinspark
09-01-2006, 04:32 AM
It depends a lot whether the whole iTunes is a program written in some usual language (usually java) or integrated in the phone software/firmware. If the first, it shouldn't be hard to get to another phone, if the latter, then I doubt it.

Edit: apparently iTunes is available for at least some newer Nokias.

Coventrysucks
09-01-2006, 04:38 AM
I doubt it.

I suspect that Motorola have an exclusive contract with apple.

I can't really see much benefit to it, aside from ACC compatibility. I wouldn't think it really practical for buying music, as a phone isn't that secure (easily broken/stolen) and has limited capacity, so you'd constantly be to-ing and fro-ing from your PC for back ups.

If ACC is the only reason for wanting iTunes, why not get JHymn or something and convert to MP3? (Providing it is legal in your country)

acemotorsport
09-01-2006, 04:49 AM
well all i want to do is to get the music (in itunes) on to my phone and not pay for music that i have on my computer to have it on my phone ($1.69aud per song on itunes compared to $3 aud on 3's music service and then they dont have some of the music i like)
oh and please don't make it sound complicated

twinspark
09-01-2006, 05:27 AM
well all i want to do is to get the music (in itunes) on to my phone and not pay for music that i have on my computer to have it on my phone ($1.69aud per song on itunes compared to $3 aud on 3's music service and then they dont have some of the music i like)
oh and please don't make it sound complicated If the thing is just to get the music files from your pc to your phone, then I can't see the meaning of iTunes for phone here. Supposing your phone has a player that plays mp3 files, all you have to do is get the music in mp3 format (if it isn't already) and transfer it into your phone via cable or BT or whatever way you're using.

acemotorsport
09-01-2006, 06:26 AM
but how the hell do i get it to mp3 format

coolieman1220
09-01-2006, 07:33 AM
itunes sucks anyways. it could be soo much better, why would u want it

coolieman1220
09-01-2006, 07:33 AM
use a converter program. google it and find a good freeware one

acemotorsport
09-01-2006, 07:35 AM
ive tried a program called itunes something 1.1 and its saying this program has to close now or something like that

acemotorsport
09-01-2006, 07:38 AM
ah stuff it ill just buy a ipod

09-01-2006, 01:08 PM
look - get Jhymm (or whatever its called now) to rip the DRM off it, then use dBpowerAmp to convert it to .mp3 (you need the full version, but seeing as removing the drm is illegal youll find a way), then put it on your phone

If you bought a motorola (E398 or V3's do it) you can hack iTunes on it, but it is NOT easy - it took me 4 hours and iTunes still doenst work

EDIT - You say make it simple - DRM removal and firmware flashing isn't, and i doubt your 30 as your profile says

Oh and if you tried and only found iTunes version 1.1, then forget trying this, if you failed to find an up-to-date version of iTunes finding most of the neccesary software is waaaay to hard!

EDIT - if any of you DO have a track you bought off iTunes and want to remove the DRM, then have a look at this (http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/01/mytunes-the-simplified-itunes-drm-stripper-for-windows/)

6'bore
09-01-2006, 01:24 PM
If you bought a motorola (E398 or V3's do it) you can hack iTunes on it, but it is NOT easy - it took me 4 hours and iTunes still doenst work
4 hours well spent then. When was the last time you saw daylight?

my porsche
09-01-2006, 02:38 PM
jakg doesn't do daylight.

brandisher
09-02-2006, 09:16 AM
I had the same problem with this a few weeks ago.
1. Open any folder then go to tools, folder options, click on the VIEW tab
2. Deselect the "Hide extention to known file"
3. Take your itunes file then click rename and just change it from .whatever it is to .3gp format
4. Put it on your phone and it should work in the player. If not change it to .mp3 format

09-02-2006, 09:18 AM
I had the same problem with this a few weeks ago.
1. Open any folder then go to tools, folder options, click on the VIEW tab
2. Deselect the "Hide extention to known file"
3. Take your itunes file then click rename and just change it from .whatever it is to .3gp format
4. Put it on your phone and it should work in the player. If not change it to .mp3 formatseeing as .3gp is a video file, and .mp3 is a video file, and all youve done is rename it, not convert it, i can't see what the point is

brandisher
09-02-2006, 10:19 AM
seeing as .3gp is a video file, and .mp3 is a video file, and all youve done is rename it, not convert it, i can't see what the point is

You are not just renaming it, you are converting the file of it to whatever the format was to a different format. The only problem with itunes .m4a format is that you can't set it as your ring tone. I have tried it and it doesn't work but it will play songs on the phone.

09-02-2006, 10:26 AM
You are not just renaming it, you are converting the file of it to whatever the format was to a different format.no your not, your just renaming it - why do you think there are speciallist tools to convert audio if all you have to do is rename the file? just renaming it doesnt magically make ti that format, sometimes it ignores the extension and plays the file with the original extension, othertimes it just wont work

brandisher
09-02-2006, 10:52 AM
why do you think there are speciallist tools to convert audio if all you have to do is rename the file?

You are just changing the way it is being played. It doesn't work if you change it then play it on windows media player. You have to play it on your phone to see if it works.

I tried it on my Samsung T-809 phone and it worked well, if you don't believe me and think that it doesn't work then don't try it. I'm just saying it worked for me and my friend's phone; it might work on yours. What's the harm in trying it out and not working? Its better than spending 4 hours. If it fails you can always change it to back to its original format name.

09-02-2006, 11:18 AM
You are just changing the way it is being played. It doesn't work if you change it then play it on windows media player. You have to play it on your phone to see if it works.what i mean is that you arent converting the file, calling a .wma an .mp3 doesnt MAKE it an .mp3, it just pretends to be one

And i spent 4 hours installing new firmware, not converting stuff (well, the firmware took 10 mins, but findind the motorola software they use at the factory wasnt so easy!), plus i was on the verge of buying a Rokr because i thought that a small mp3 player would be handy, and of course i realised that i would rather try a couple of hours doing it that way than pay £100 for a new phone (ok, so i could sell the old one for £60, but still, i couldnt get a £10 and hour job, so it would be better for me to do it the cheap way

brandisher
09-02-2006, 10:55 PM
Time is money and I value my time for life is precious and I would rather cough out money and have time to have fun rather than go through the long process to figure out how to make something work. Kids don't think of it now but when you get older you relize how you valued your time of the past and wished to change it.