PDA

View Full Version : Go Kart Project

SPHFerrari
03-29-2004, 07:32 PM
not sure where i should have put this but o well. my friend and i want to make our own go kart over the summer. any ideas on how to go about this? like wat motor and wat to do about a chassis and all other aspects. and 1 have some advice? :confused:

Matra et Alpine
03-30-2004, 01:30 AM
not sure where i should have put this but o well. my friend and i want to make our own go kart over the summer. any ideas on how to go about this? like wat motor and wat to do about a chassis and all other aspects. and 1 have some advice? :confused:Are you wanting something to ride round the yard, off-road or track ?
Are you hoping to do serious competition in it ?
Are you planning to weld your own chassis and make suspension parts or hopeing to buy off-the-shelf ?
What performance are you wanting ?
Is it cheap or good that you want :) ?

SPHFerrari
04-03-2004, 06:38 PM
Are you wanting something to ride round the yard, off-road or track ?
Are you hoping to do serious competition in it ?
Are you planning to weld your own chassis and make suspension parts or hopeing to buy off-the-shelf ?
What performance are you wanting ?
Is it cheap or good that you want :) ?

forgot i posted this. but i plan to ride on my street cuz theres realy no traffic so i dont have 2 bother with other cars or any laws that may exist. i wont be competing i plan to weld the chasis if my friend can follow through that he has a friend with a shop we can use and i hope 2 buy ne thing else off the shelf. i want it to be nice and fast and corner nice and tight. i want kinda in between cheep and good but i dont have a job so i want to try and find components thatll balance out a cheep price and good performance nicely

Matra et Alpine
04-03-2004, 07:07 PM
forgot i posted this. but i plan to ride on my street cuz theres realy no traffic so i dont have 2 bother with other cars or any laws that may exist. i wont be competing i plan to weld the chasis if my friend can follow through that he has a friend with a shop we can use and i hope 2 buy ne thing else off the shelf. i want it to be nice and fast and corner nice and tight. i want kinda in between cheep and good but i dont have a job so i want to try and find components thatll balance out a cheep price and good performance nicely
For about $400 of steel you could build a Locost ? ( With a suitable donor car )
Search for "ron champion" - the originator of the Locost. He started an off-road buggy/go-kart in the same low cost paradigm.

Here's another place to get cheap plans ... http://www.diyden.net/html/plans.html

It's worth finding a known frame design and bulid to it, otherwise their is bound to be a stress point in a self-design frame which will show up later in the build and need extensive reqork or regular re-welding :)

Again, you may be limited by the availability of parts like steering rack, wheels, brakes, engine, transmission. A cheap starting point for the latter is a crashed bike or scooter :)

SPHFerrari
04-04-2004, 06:49 PM
thanks matra. this should come in handy

johnnynumfiv
04-24-2004, 07:42 PM
I'm about to build a go-cart also with some spare engines I have lying around, here's a good site to get parts:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?PAGECOUNT=1&sortby=sequence&storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&categoryId=93

They have prebuilt frames, if you don't have the metal or a welder. They have lots of parts and accessories. hmmmm thats a thought, a riced go cart......

antoinelane90
06-22-2004, 10:12 AM
Do anyone know where you can get a Skyline body for a go-kart. Kinda like the one that Paul Walker was driving at the beginning of 2 fast 2 furious. If it can fit a 2 seater and a 1 seater that would be fine. Because I have the go-kart i just want a body for it. So if anyone knows a site or a person where i can get or get a skyline body made. please tell.