PDA

View Full Version : Comments about Subaru cars

sharp
09-07-2006, 08:46 AM
hello guyz,

what do you say about Japanese Subaru... anyone owns one.
I mean their legacy & Impreza models are really high tech & famous.

brandisher
09-07-2006, 09:52 AM
I don't know anything about subaru but I can tell that the B9 Trebeca is extremely ugly but not at ugly as the Pontiac Aztec or the Buick Rondevue

johnnyperl
09-07-2006, 10:08 AM
I mean their legacy & Impreza models are really high tech...
not really. They all had open mechanical diffs until this year, now the wrx gets an LSD in the rear. Also, they only added variable intake timing this year. and the specific output is not very good.

drakkie
09-07-2006, 10:09 AM
I don't know anything about subaru but I can tell that the B9 Trebeca is extremely ugly but not at ugly as the Pontiac Aztec or the Buick Rondevue

This thread features serious in-depth knowledge of Subaru's :D

The_Canuck
09-07-2006, 12:48 PM
Most definetly.

byronleehk
09-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Test drove my friend's '05 WRX STi. Short shifter felt nice, seat wasn't the most comfy but since those are racing seats I can live with that. Car felt solid around corners with very mild understeer...maybe due to the aftermarket 18" wheels but I don't know for sure.

Over all a very nice car but too rich for my blood:(

h00t_h00t
09-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Gold wheels. Here ends my knowledge. :p

mmm_aapls
09-07-2006, 03:43 PM
I would not say very technologically advanced but they are fast, reliable and relativly cheap for their performance.

I own a WRX and I love the feel of boost. Not as brutal as an STi so it is a better daily driver in my opinion

pimento
09-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Test drove my friend's '05 WRX STi. Short shifter felt nice, seat wasn't the most comfy but since those are racing seats I can live with that. Car felt solid around corners with very mild understeer...maybe due to the aftermarket 18" wheels but I don't know for sure.

Over all a very nice car but too rich for my blood:(

The understeer is normal for an Impreza. A stock Evo is faster around a track than an STi, simply due to the fancier AWD system. Apparently.

NSXType-R
09-07-2006, 07:02 PM
I find that Subaru's are cool in that they offer 4WD with everything (in America at least). Yes, the B9 is really ugly and the STI is bordering on that, but the STI is acceptable. Great fun, power and bang for the buck. I love it. :D

I think the STI's reliability would be better than the Lancers because it's a 2.5, not a 2.0 in the Lancer.

acemotorsport
09-07-2006, 07:51 PM
i had a 94 wrx wish i still had that car it was a good car but now in my area you see alot of wrx's and half of them get stolen that why i got rid of it

mmm_aapls
09-07-2006, 08:06 PM
I find that Subaru's are cool in that they offer 4WD with everything (in America at least). Yes, the B9 is really ugly and the STI is bordering on that, but the STI is acceptable. Great fun, power and bang for the buck. I love it. :D

I think the STI's reliability would be better than the Lancers because it's a 2.5, not a 2.0 in the Lancer.

What has capacity got to do with reliability?
the 2.5 ltr in the subaru is the same block as the 2.0 ltr but with a bigger bore. The internals of the 2.5 ltr are weaker than the 2.0 ltr as well becasue they run much less boost out of the factory.

We have always had the 2.0 ltr in Aus until this year when they upgraded to the 2.5 ltr (same as the states). But in Japan they use the 2.0 ltr engine with a twin scroll setup and it is just as reliable, if not more reliable than the 2.5 ltr.

digitalcraft
09-08-2006, 05:06 AM
Even the straight WRX model is great performance for the money.

digitalcraft
09-08-2006, 05:07 AM
As opposed to the Imprezza WRX STI BBQ FYI

adrenaline
09-08-2006, 05:14 AM
Subaru backwards: You are a Bus :D

PerfAdv
09-08-2006, 09:22 AM
Lots of great info here: http://www.subaru-global.com/about/

I've only had my Subaru for less than a month, so I can't relate any first hand experiences about reliability and durability. All Subarus are AWD and many are turbochaged, so there is more to go wrong than say a FWD NA Honda. However, Subies are known to be sturdy machines. What I have learnt is the 2.5 Boxer Turbo is a thirsty engine. In my first tankfuls I've managed around 18 MPG, I'm hoping this will improve.

The Boxer engine is a Subaru highlight; it's an engine with an aviation background much like Porsche's Boxers. Boxer or horizontally opposed engines are compact and very smooth because the pistons cancel out vibration from their opposed piston.

Also, atleast where I live, Subarus don't have the outlaw road racer image that Civics and other more commonly modified cars have. This is especially true for teh Legacy model, it's a sleeper. :D

jcp123
09-08-2006, 01:14 PM
Subies are nice cars. The last couple of times my parents have been car-shopping, the Subies ended up on the short list of cars to get, and frankly, I think that's what we should have had in the first place. I think they're just a nice combination of features at an affordable price. And, I think we'd probably have one this time if they had a dealership here in the city we moved to, as it is we have an AWD Escape for a ski vehicle...

h00t_h00t
09-08-2006, 03:51 PM
Lots of great info here: http://www.subaru-global.com/about/

I've only had my Subaru for less than a month, so I can't relate any first hand experiences about reliability and durability. All Subarus are AWD and many are turbochaged, so there is more to go wrong than say a FWD NA Honda. However, Subies are known to be sturdy machines. What I have learnt is the 2.5 Boxer Turbo is a thirsty engine. In my first tankfuls I've managed around 18 MPG, I'm hoping this will improve.

Also, atleast where I live, Subarus don't have the outlaw road racer image that Civics and other more commonly modified cars have. This is especially true for teh Legacy model, it's a sleeper. :D
18 pmg sounds like a heavy foot to me :p

Massive wing, big gold wheels, bonnet scoops and people don't think they are used in street racing.... People are stupid ;)

Quiggs
09-08-2006, 05:44 PM
What has capacity got to do with reliability?
Without trying to start another big motor/low RPM vs small motor/high RPM thread... Well, exactly that. A bigger motor will naturally make more power than a smaller one at any given RPM. Less RPM means less wear on engine components.

PerfAdv
09-08-2006, 11:18 PM
18 pmg sounds like a heavy foot to me :p

Heavy foot will come :D:D

The EPA rating is 19 city/25 hwy, generally in other cars I've been able to get closer to the highway rating by driving a little easy. I've been driving easy just because the car's breaking in. I'm hoping after loosening up a little after break-in the MPG will improve.:o

Massive wing, big gold wheels, bonnet scoops and people don't think they are used in street racing.... People are stupid ;)

I think the difference between Subies and Civics is that the former is more go than show, whereas the latter mostly just snarl alot. Some Civics are genuinely quick, I referring to the fart canners. ;)

Tomodachi
09-09-2006, 01:45 AM
Can you really compare a Rally insipred car, to a honda civic? O.o

Gtek-i
09-09-2006, 03:00 AM
not really...unless you get the same engine and stuff...

Rockefella
09-09-2006, 03:17 AM
Can you really compare a Rally insipred car, to a honda civic? O.o
Yes, if you would like to.

h00t_h00t
09-09-2006, 03:58 PM
not really...unless you get the same engine and stuff...
Thats never bothered you.

kingofthering
09-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Thats never bothered you.
OWNAGE

09-13-2006, 06:27 PM
subarus are very nice carrs and from i heard they are plenty reliable
however the tribeca looks very bad

jcp123
09-13-2006, 07:03 PM
I thought the Tribeca was pretty handsome...for an almost-SUV. I could have sworn it was an Alfa Romeo though. From the grille to the taillights and everywhere in between it screams Alfa styling.