PDA

View Full Version : What a dumbass!

Egg Nog
03-30-2004, 11:40 PM
Oh man... this has got to be one of the most useless, hideous, and idiotic things I've ever seen someone do to their car... So simple, yet so stupid.

I don't think zap-straps qualify as a decent substitute for real braided brake lines :rolleyes:...

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=803311

henk4
03-31-2004, 01:02 AM
maybe it was just done for decoration purposes, a technical flavour of ricing??

Egg Nog
03-31-2004, 02:50 AM
maybe it was just done for decoration purposes, a technical flavour of ricing??

If that's the case, I suppose it's a matter of taste. But for that matter, I think the case here is that this guy has bad taste. :P

fpv_gtho
03-31-2004, 04:24 AM
i dont know which is worse, braiding your lines with cable ties or claiming stickers add horsepower :rolleyes:

Sweeney921
03-31-2004, 01:31 PM
maybe the dude's poor.....

Slicks
03-31-2004, 10:03 PM
each strap adds 1 horsepower!

Batmobile_Turbo
03-31-2004, 10:07 PM
each strap adds 1 horsepower!
no no no, it means that the brakes won't stop the car as much so it will always go faster :D
but on a serious side, it might be one of those "cheap tricks" that is inexpensive but works, i don't know anyhting about brakes though so don't call me stupid :rolleyes:

Egg Nog
04-01-2004, 12:04 AM
no no no, it means that the brakes won't stop the car as much so it will always go faster :D
but on a serious side, it might be one of those "cheap tricks" that is inexpensive but works, i don't know anyhting about brakes though so don't call me stupid :rolleyes:

Trust me on this one, it won't affect anything. Plastic zap-straps have a load breaking stregth of so little that if they actually applied a tightening force to the cable itself, they would snap under high pressure. I doubt if you could actually put them on tight enough to get that result, though. (Which by definition means that they aren't affecting anything! ;))

henk4
04-01-2004, 12:25 AM
Trust me on this one, it won't affect anything. Plastic zap-straps have a load breaking stregth of so little that if they actually applied a tightening force to the cable itself, they would snap under high pressure. I doubt if you could actually put them on tight enough to get that result, though. (Which by definition means that they aren't affecting anything! ;))
You might be totally right here, but I can't help thinking that the combined strength of a vast number of these things might have some effect. It's a bit like the good old trick of using panties as a temporary replacement for a broken fan belt.

eyebrows
04-01-2004, 12:38 AM
as my knowlage of braking systems is non existant i don't really count when i say this but just looking at it, it looks like a load of bs. something to make ppl say wtf? and im saying WTF :p

crisis
04-01-2004, 01:20 AM
He should spray paint them black. Cool! I bet he has 19" wheels with 6" brake drums behind.

crisis
04-01-2004, 01:22 AM
a bit like the good old trick of using panties as a temporary replacement for a broken fan belt.
I would have been more comfortable with this if as a man, you had said jocks or boxers rather than panties. If you meant panties PLEASE post NO pictures.

henk4
04-01-2004, 01:35 AM
I would have been more comfortable with this if as a man, you had said jocks or boxers rather than panties. If you meant panties PLEASE post NO pictures.

I always carry a spare set in my glove box. I don't know where they came from, but they have been already for quite a long time. I don't wear long Johns during the summer, so I can't use them.

Falcon500
04-01-2004, 05:40 AM
Also like how you can use a corn flakes packet as a substitute for a head gasket...it works....(why do i keep thinking bush mechanics :rolleyes: )

fpv_gtho
04-01-2004, 07:04 AM
if you want bush mechanics, try replacing your air filter with the foam from one of the seats, or crushing up some wattle seeds in water for brake fluid. i posted a couple of these things ages ago from the wheels yearbook somewhere in the australian cars section but i forget which thread........

crisis
04-01-2004, 05:05 PM
I always carry a spare set in my glove box. I don't know where they came from, but they have been already for quite a long time. I don't wear long Johns during the summer, so I can't use them.
I now assume you mean pantyhose. I will also assume you keep them in the glove box for those opportunistic bank jobs that may arise from time to time. I would consider this a more respectable use than any thing else that crosses my mind. Unless you are an English politician or member of the aristocracy.

henk4
04-02-2004, 12:12 AM
I will also assume you keep them in the glove box for those opportunistic bank jobs that may arise from time to time..

Correct, it would be a shame if your get away car has to stop because of a broken fanbelt. Fortunately in Holland we have no English politicians, and we are too poor to have an aristocracy.