PDA

View Full Version : What do think about the 1970 dodge charger R/T?

Holden rocks
09-22-2006, 04:31 AM
what do u think?

pAinTrAin
09-22-2006, 10:56 AM
The General Lee??

kigango123
09-22-2006, 10:57 AM
could be better could be worse

coolieman1220
09-22-2006, 01:03 PM
69 i believe is a general lee or 68. but they are nice. look sick sound sick just a big large

baddabang
09-22-2006, 01:16 PM
The General Lee is a 69. :D

Fleet 500
09-22-2006, 01:24 PM
The General Lee was a '69 Charger.

The '70 Charger R/T is very nice. The big 440-Magnum has gobs of torque. The '69 440 does have slightly higher compression than the '70 (10.0:1 VS 9.7:1) so the '69 develops a little more horsepower.

Back in 1970, the Charger was considered an intermediate-sized car. Wheelbase is 117" and overall length is 208". They can seat 5-6 people, unlike pony cars like the Mustang and 'Cuda. With the heavy-duty suspension, they handle well for their size and weight (about or just under 4,000 lbs).

They were very popular cars when new and good examples are selling for well over $10,000.

Quiggs
09-22-2006, 01:25 PM
I think you forgot a zero in there, Fleet.

Juggs
09-22-2006, 02:47 PM
if u like super sluggish handling and heaps of body roll (and thats by muscle car standards), or paying too much just bescause its a mopar then the charger is for you! the 440 is the best motor choice tho if u do like em. the hemi is a good drag motor but it sucks on the street and theres just as many options to make power on the 440 plus it is way better on the street. some of the best lookin cars ever made too if you ask me.

digitalcraft
09-22-2006, 07:42 PM
It's definately a muscle car, all the good and the bad.

Fleet 500
09-22-2006, 10:19 PM
I think you forgot a zero in there, Fleet.
The price? Yeah, you're right. Mint one sell for much more than $10,000, but I've seen some #3 or 2 1/2 condition examples selling for around $10,000.

Fleet 500
09-22-2006, 10:45 PM
if u like super sluggish handling and heaps of body roll (and thats by muscle car standards)
Again, with the heavy-duty suspension, they handled similar to other muscle cars of the era...

Juggs
09-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Again, with the heavy-duty suspension, they handled similar to other muscle cars of the era...

my fault i was confusing it with the challenger/cuda that handled horridly. the charger had mcpherson struts like other other "good handling" cars of the day.i knew there was a reason chargers were one of the only mopars i really liked (that and the GTX). i'm partial to 68 chargers myself...

Fleet 500
09-23-2006, 05:29 PM
my fault i was confusing it with the challenger/cuda that handled horridly. the charger had mcpherson struts like other other "good handling" cars of the day.i knew there was a reason chargers were one of the only mopars i really liked (that and the GTX). i'm partial to 68 chargers myself...
I am quite familiar with Mopar muscle cars and I've never heard of McPherson struts being used on any stock '60s/early '70s Mopar muscle cars. The mid-sized Mopars (Charger, Road Runner, GTX, etc) had the same basic suspension system as the Mopar pony cars ('Cuda & Challenger).

Here is some info from car mags:
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
Front suspension- Independent, unequal-length wishbones, torsion bars, anti-sway bar, tube shocks.
Rear suspension- Rigid axle, semi-elliptic leaf springs, tube shocks.

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
Front suspension- Independent, unequal-length wishbones, torsion bars, anti-roll bar, tube shocks.

Fleet 500
09-23-2006, 09:54 PM
69 i believe is a general lee or 68. but they are nice. look sick sound sick just a big large
I was wondering about this... how could a '70 Charger R/T, with a big 440-Magnum engine (or 426-Hemi) sound "sick?" They sound great!

2ndclasscitizen
09-23-2006, 10:00 PM
I was wondering about this... how could a '70 Charger R/T, with a big 440-Magnum engine (or 426-Hemi) sound "sick?" They sound great!
Oh dear, I think you might've just made yourself look a bit old there mate, he probably meant "sick" as in "fully sik, that sounds awesome bro!"

Fleet 500
09-23-2006, 10:22 PM
Oh dear, I think you might've just made yourself look a bit old there mate, he probably meant "sick" as in "fully sik, that sounds awesome bro!"
I guess that could be. Kind of a strange word to describe a powerful engine. :confused:

Juggs
09-24-2006, 12:05 PM
I am quite familiar with Mopar muscle cars and I've never heard of McPherson struts being used on any stock '60s/early '70s Mopar muscle cars. The mid-sized Mopars (Charger, Road Runner, GTX, etc) had the same basic suspension system as the Mopar pony cars ('Cuda & Challenger).

Here is some info from car mags:
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
Front suspension- Independent, unequal-length wishbones, torsion bars, anti-sway bar, tube shocks.

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
Front suspension- Independent, unequal-length wishbones, torsion bars, anti-roll bar, tube shocks.

hmm once again you are right. but i guess that means you were mistaken the first time because if thats the case then theres no way these cars handled like most of the other muscle cars of the day. i dont really have any proof right now, but its pretty simple physics or else u can just watch the muscle car shootout that dream car garage did a while back, and see what they have to say about the mopars handling

Fleet 500
09-24-2006, 02:30 PM
hmm once again you are right. but i guess that means you were mistaken the first time because if thats the case then theres no way these cars handled like most of the other muscle cars of the day. i dont really have any proof right now, but its pretty simple physics or else u can just watch the muscle car shootout that dream car garage did a while back, and see what they have to say about the mopars handling
No, I don't think I'm mistaken. Here are some car magazine's comments on the Challenger and 'Cuda handling:
(Road Test, March, 1970: 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440)
"The overall handling of the Dodge Challenger is as good as any Detroit machine we've tested lately, and considerably better than most. Cornering was both smooth and flat and we were quite frankly surprised to see the amount of leaning that turns up in the photographs. The driver simply doesn't feel it at all."

(Motor Trend, Nov., 1969: 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 383)
"Going through the corners, it tended to understeer and get a little hypersensitive in the rear. However, this car was equipped with air conditioning, power steering, power brakes and power everything else. It actually handled quite well considering all the extra weight hung on the front of the mill. Front end roll was evident in the very hardest turns and the car didn't drift easily. F70x14 tires and the wide track help keep it steady, though, and even with all the extra weight under the hood, handling was passable."

Next see attachment below. Car Life tested the 1970 Boss Mustang, Camaro Z-28, AAR 'Cuda, Firebird Trans Am and Javelin. The AAR 'Cuda had the best lap time and also was comparable with the other cars on the skidpad. The magazine's conclusion about the AAR 'Cuda... "'Cuda won by having it all together: Decent braking, decent cornering, and a good compromise between top-end power and mid-range."
The 1/4 mile times for these cars, in another Car Life test was:
'69 Camaro Z-28 302, 4-speed manual, 4.10:1 gears, 15.1 secs @ 95 mph
'69 Boss 302 Mustang, 4-speed manual, 3.91:1 gears, 14.8@96
'70 Camaro Z-28, 350, 3-speed auto, 4.10:1 gears, 14.5@99
'70 AAR 'Cuda, 340-6 bbl, 4-speed manual, 3.55:1 gears, 14.5@99

It seems you have some sort of bias against Mopars (although you do say you like the Charger and GTX). How many have you drove and rode in? I've been in quite a few and have been impressed generally in the power output, handling and reliability.

pAinTrAin
09-25-2006, 12:56 AM
The General Lee is a 69. :D

Shows you how much I know about dodge