PDA

View Full Version : Honda vs Toyota

IVEgotTHEblues
09-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Hi. I was just wondering what you guys all think of Honda versus Toyota now that they've introduced newer vehicles.

I think a few years ago, my eyes were set on Honda/Acura with their Accord and TL, TSX. Now, I think my sight leads right to Toyota/Lexus with the Camry and the new line of Lexus vehicles.

imo, the appearance of Honda vehicles have been decreasing while Toyota vehicles have been increasing... ie: the new CR-V and the Accord hasn't changed in quite a few years (which I hope will change) while the Camry is stepping up.

and if the RDX and MDX point the direction of future Honda vehicle designs, then I don't think I will like Honda at all very much in the future.

that's all. I want your opinions.

ferrarifreak013
09-24-2006, 12:14 PM
im not sure but i heard something about toyota having alot of problems with their cars in the past year but im not sure if thats true of not.

Niko_Fx
09-24-2006, 12:22 PM
I think a few years ago, my eyes were set on Honda/Acura with their Accord and TL, TSX. Now, I think my sight leads right to Toyota/Lexus with the Camry and the new line of Lexus vehicles.

The new Camry is just as boring as previous generations but with decent power... The FJ Cruiser is one ugly MF and the new Lexus line is simply "ok". The Celica hasn't been touched for almost 7 years, etc.

As far as Honda goes everything is boring as well... except for the Civic Si, Type R and RDX imo.

They'll be getting it right soon though... with the introduction of a new Supra & NSX ;)

NSXType-R
09-24-2006, 12:26 PM
The Accord and CR-V were completely new a couple years back. The CR-V is all new for next year. I think the Accord will be completely redesigned in a couple years. I tend to prefer Hondas because they seem to have a better balance of cars with family, luxury and sports cars. Meanwhile Toyota seems more of a family and luxury only maker. Have you realized that Toyota doesn't have one sports car in its lineup, while it has focused on Scion and Lexus lately? At least Honda has the S2000, I think the tC is way too heavy. Although Honda doesn't have any RWD vehicles, especially the RL, TSX and TL, they're not shabby cars. I do commend Toyota on the amount of progress on Lexus though. They're getting way better, with the GS, LS and IS. The only thing Honda's really missing is RWD, and with the next generation of their luxury cars (the TL and TSX are both old now), I hope they switch to RWD, like Infiniti and Lexus.

NSXType-R
09-24-2006, 12:29 PM
The new Camry is just as boring as previous generations but with decent power... The FJ Cruiser is one ugly MF and the new Lexus line is simply "ok". The Celica hasn't been touched for almost 7 years, etc.

As far as Honda goes everything is boring as well... except for the Civic Si, Type R and RDX imo.

They'll be getting it right soon though... with the introduction of a new Supra & NSX ;)

Nah, I think the Camry is much better now, styling and power wise. The FJ is really cool IMO and the Scion tC is technically the Celica. You're right about the supercars though, but I find it really hard that Toyota hasn't had a halo sports car in years.

Mr.Tiv
09-24-2006, 12:35 PM
Why don't you include Nissan? If I had to drive a new Jap car it would be a 350z. I will say that the FJ is one of the ugliest cars on the market, at least to my eyes.

Niko_Fx
09-24-2006, 12:51 PM
Why don't you include Nissan? If I had to drive a new Jap car it would be a 350z. I will say that the FJ is one of the ugliest cars on the market, at least to my eyes.

If Nissan was included in the comparison then the 350Z wouldn't be an option considering that it was released when..? ... 2001-02?

Mr.Tiv
09-24-2006, 12:57 PM
It's still on sale, so I don't see the problem.

coolieman1220
09-24-2006, 01:13 PM
honda = better then toyota. lexus = better then acure

The_Canuck
09-24-2006, 01:25 PM
Toyota to me, resembles all the a manufacturer shouldn't be, a company that makes extremly boring cars and has a luxury department that is equally as boring. Yet everyone still likes them....WHY!?!?

supracrazy410
09-24-2006, 01:28 PM
[QUOTE=NSXType-R] Have you realized that Toyota doesn't have one sports car in its lineup [\QUOTE]

Yeah, I had been thinking making a thread about asking if everyone is dissapointed with Toyota because of that. Even though I am a big fan of Toyotas (see my username) I am dissapointed with them right now.

As to the question of the thread, I can't really bring myself to choose. I respect both companies and their subsidiaries equal amounts for reasons like: reliability, pracitcality (of most cars), and sports cars (past and present). I wouldn't mind having a car from either.

Edit: Whoa, why didn't the quote thing work

:Exige:
09-24-2006, 01:43 PM
Toyota is currently planning a little blitz. Consider the current moment as the calm before the storm (presuming they don't run out of steam first).

IVEgotTHEblues
09-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Why don't you include Nissan? If I had to drive a new Jap car it would be a 350z. I will say that the FJ is one of the ugliest cars on the market, at least to my eyes.Sorry about that, but I didn't really think of Nissan as a really "revolutionary" brand

ie: toyota and their hybrid system, self-parking... Honda and their SH-AWD and charting #1 for many categories... while Nissan is just a brand that tries to compete with the rest, in my opinion. The new Nissan lines are just "upgrades" from their previous lines, which isn't really fascinating...

Mr.Tiv
09-24-2006, 02:02 PM
Sorry about that, but I didn't really think of Nissan as a really "revolutionary" brand

ie: toyota and their hybrid system, self-parking... Honda and their SH-AWD and charting #1 for many categories... while Nissan is just a brand that tries to compete with the rest, in my opinion. The new Nissan lines are just "upgrades" from their previous lines, which isn't really fascinating...
I never called Nissan revolutionary. I simply prefer their prodoct to those of Honda and Toyota.

IVEgotTHEblues
09-24-2006, 02:11 PM
I never called Nissan revolutionary. I simply prefer their prodoct to those of Honda and Toyota.yeah, me too. I really like the FX and M series... they just need to come up with something new for me to pursuade me to look twice at them :(

Mr.Tiv
09-24-2006, 02:19 PM
yeah, me too. I really like the FX and M series... they just need to come up with something new for me to pursuade me to look twice at them :(
Yeah, they could use a new car or some freshening up of what they already have.

09-24-2006, 02:34 PM
i like hondas i bit more
but they both need more new sports cars
I hope they get new
Supra
Celica
Prelude
NSX
SC430
RSX

Nissan is actually alright
THey just need to refresh
get a new ZX car and SX car, skyline would be nice

PS. scion sucks

NSXType-R
09-24-2006, 03:15 PM
Yeah, they could use a new car or some freshening up of what they already have.

But they're all pretty new (been released in the past 4 years maybe?).

NSXType-R
09-24-2006, 03:16 PM
If Nissan was included in the comparison then the 350Z wouldn't be an option considering that it was released when..? ... 2001-02?

I think he meant that it's not the newest car out.

Back to Lexus, I don't think that they're boring. People just think that Toyota is boring (some of their offerings are kind of boring, but they're family cars, what do you expect?) so Lexus must be boring too. The new LS looks promising and its nannies can be completely turned off (from latest Motortrend). It looks like they're really trying their hardest to aim for the Germans and I like their effort. It's the only effort coming from Japan for now, although I bet the next Infiniti Q is going to be real good. I hope Acura steps up the RL. Although it's not a bad car, it's outclassed because it's too small (not much bigger than a TL) and it's not powerful enough for its heft.

h00t_h00t
09-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Japanese manufacturer in boring cars shocker!!!

Rockefella
09-24-2006, 03:34 PM
Japanese manufacturer in boring cars shocker!!!
They've copied the Germans for too long, and now they're out of ideas. ;)

IVEgotTHEblues
09-24-2006, 04:21 PM
They've copied the Germans for too long, and now they're out of ideas. ;)How do people become successful? They take previous ideas and perfect them. ;) hehehe

Niko_Fx
09-24-2006, 05:32 PM
It's still on sale, so I don't see the problem.

The thread was regarding new models.

Hi. I was just wondering what you guys all think of Honda versus Toyota now that they've introduced newer vehicles.

Mr.Tiv
09-24-2006, 05:50 PM
The thread was regarding new models.
Newer. 4 years is not old. And no, it was not about new vehicles, it was about what you think the the manufacturer. I don't want to argue though, so let's just let it go.

DesmoRob
09-24-2006, 06:32 PM
The Celica hasn't been touched for almost 7 years

I thought they stopped production of that car?

Niko_Fx
09-24-2006, 06:37 PM
Newer. 4 years is not old. And no, it was not about new vehicles, it was about what you think the the manufacturer. I don't want to argue though, so let's just let it go.

Following that analogy the thread doesn't make any sense. I'm gonna go ahead and say that Honda is not boring then... They introduced the 2002+ Honda NSX w/o pop-up lights, the 1999 S2000, 2006 Civic Si, several Type Rs, Acura RSX-S, RSX-R, a couple of nice bikes, etc.

:rolleyes:

NSXType-R
09-24-2006, 06:41 PM
I thought they stopped production of that car?

They did. He's saying that there's been no replacement for it for the last 7 years.

I don't see why they couldn't have made a small RWD coupe under the Supra. They had Celica Supras (mini Supras) back in the earlier generations.

Same thing with Honda and the Prelude. They could have made an S2000 coupe and call that the Prelude. I think a 4 banger coupe looks too much like an Accord coupe so they cut the Prelude.

john14
09-25-2006, 03:53 AM
In my opinion (and I'll admit I love Honda) Honda would win. Toyota are a great car manufacturing company but overall, I believe Honda's cars have more style, charm and in my opinion Honda make more beautiful cars than Toyota does. Honda and Toyota have made so many cars that are great/fun to drive and are so reliable (the vast majority of their cars have good reliability). Basically, Honda and Toyota are both great companies but I just prefer Honda because of the reasons mentioned above and below.

Originally Posted by [b]Niko_Fx[b]
I'm gonna go ahead and say that Honda is not boring then... They introduced 2002+ Honda NSX w/o pop-up lights, the 1999 S2000, 2006 Civic Si, several Type Rs, Acura RSX-S, RSX-R, a couple of nice bikes, etc.

Niko, I agree with this ^... you took the words right out of my mouth. Meat Loaf song? :D

acemotorsport
09-25-2006, 04:08 AM
ive had my accord euro now for just over a year (its a 04 model) now and i still think its a good car nothing wrong with it

kigango123
09-25-2006, 08:00 AM
honda still beats toyota by a huge margin in the racing community or even in normal consumer community
but i cant say that toyota isnt catching up

PerfAdv
09-25-2006, 08:32 AM
Honda is better at making sportier feeling cars and Toyota is better at making cars with more luxury. This generalization is based on their most common models: Camry, Accord, Corolla and Civic.

h00t_h00t
09-25-2006, 03:40 PM
...Which ones of those are sporty and/or luxurious?

NSXType-R
09-25-2006, 04:01 PM
The Civic most probably. What's cool about it is that you can choose your sportiness. :D

Hybrid

Sedan

Si

Natural Gas

and overseas...

Type R

5 door wagon :D

PerfAdv
09-25-2006, 10:42 PM
...Which ones of those are sporty and/or luxurious?
I generally see Hondas as sacrificing an insulated (luxurious) ride for a connected (sporty) character. Whereas, Toyotas tend to embrace insulation and isolation. The latest Camry is supposed to have a distinctively sporty flair but not at the expense of a chassis that's too connected.

IVEgotTHEblues
09-26-2006, 03:09 PM
I was just looking at pics of the new CR-V and have decided that Toyota is now the superior.

http://www.carphotosite.com/modelpages/Honda/2007.Honda.CR.V.EX.L.with.Navigation/500/2007.Honda.CR.V.EX.L.with.Navigation_053.jpg

what exactly was Honda thinking now...?
opposed to:

http://www.carphotosite.com/modelpages/Toyota/2006.Toyota.RAV4.Limited/500/2006.Toyota.RAV4.Limited_009.jpg

PerfAdv
09-27-2006, 09:08 PM
^^I don't know about that...

I think the new CR-V looks pretty good, superior to the RAV, imo.

$Haka!
09-27-2006, 11:39 PM
I like honda better specially Civic.
in my book Civic > camry.

IVEgotTHEblues
09-28-2006, 09:34 PM
^^I don't know about that...

I think the new CR-V looks pretty good, superior to the RAV, imo.really? *puke* I guess everyone has their own opinions.

Ingolstadt
10-03-2006, 12:39 AM
Both looks pretty crappy. One's trying to look more menacing with a gaping mouth, and one starts off with a chippy, fun image and trying to move upmarket. IMO, small SUVs were the biggest crap, couldnt clumb, couldnt handle nicely, and doesnt carry more passengers or luggages as well.

Toyota4Life
10-08-2006, 03:43 PM
you haters listen honda is no where close to beating toyota. toyota is on top for a reason people!! if honda was so good why are they not on top???? answer that the truth does not lie. and the new camry is fcuking hot man it killes the accrod it just won all the testes that i was in, if you people dont read. it is teh best selling car in america, and there a reson for that so get your heads out of hondas ass and think. honda does not have a car the macth the rav-4 the new cr-v is ugly as hell. lol. plus look up the toyotas in japan then u will see good cars. honda civic is for girls i dont care how much power it makes. it secong to the corollas. AE86 all tth way. plus the new corolla is on the way so listen up people. the FJ is hot honda could never make something like that no matter what u say. it has a history so look it up then talk it even beat out the hummer! the tundra was rated teh best full size pick up truck and there is a new one on the way the will kill all the fords. oh i forgot honda dont even have a car to go anginst the tundra. lol. the next supra will kill all of hondas car. peroid. the LFA lexus will kill teh nsx. kexus is the best lux car maker in the us!!! so if hondas were soooo good why can aucra be on the top. the LS was the only car on th eearth to bo the most realible. and the new LS si the most advaned car in the world onnly toyota can dop that sorry honda. IS well kill any honda there is no honda out trhat is faster then it. toyota is so rich they can BUY honda if they wanted to. toyota is gogin to be on top for a reason so i dont care what u sat about toyota because teh numbers show the turth so u haters can go home now. look at the toyota else where they kill. and they have the most hybids out and the pruis sells more then some automaker!!! one car selling more the a whole lineup. lol no honda can touch the landcrusier si i wont even get on that. teh only car i like in hondas lineup is the S2000 whing i think is a girl car. so if you have a nything to mday to me hit me at : aim at : supraskyli or myspace at myspace.com/supraskyli

2hundo_drft
10-23-2006, 01:45 PM
toyota and nissans make rwd cars and honda makes fwd toyota and nissans win the vote

kingofthering
10-23-2006, 03:26 PM
toyota and nissans make rwd cars and honda makes fwd toyota and nissans win the vote
What about the Nissan Sentra? How about the Honda S2000? FWD Nissan? RWD Honda? Blaphsphemy!!!!:rolleyes:

IWantAnAudiRS6
10-23-2006, 04:52 PM
What about the Nissan Sentra? How about the Honda S2000? FWD Nissan? RWD Honda? Blaphsphemy!!!!:rolleyes:
My thoughts exactly :D

Let's not forget- FWD is not the devil. Honda have produced some of the best FWD chassis' ever. Accord Type-R, Integra Type-R, the Civic Type-R... and an amazing RWD one, the NSX.

Tomodachi
10-23-2006, 09:35 PM
Toyota all the way...

jcp123
10-30-2006, 12:16 PM
Toyota, I prefer their focus on comfort rather than performance.

h22a
10-30-2006, 10:29 PM
Both manufacturers are quality but it has to be Honda. Toyota are the number 1# selling vehicle in the world and that sais a fair bit although the majority of their vehicles are fairly conservative. Honda really aint that much different, but atleast they still produce questionably the best front wheel drive sports cars in the world. I own a honda and have no intenntion of swapping to yota

Quiggs
10-30-2006, 10:34 PM
Both manufacturers are quality but it has to be Honda. Toyota are the number 1# selling vehicle in the world and that sais a fair bit although the majority of their vehicles are fairly conservative. Honda really aint that much different, but atleast they still produce questionably the best front wheel drive sports cars in the world. I own a honda and have no intenntion of swapping to yota
Error. Does not compute.

h22a
10-30-2006, 10:43 PM
what do you mean does not compute, have you driven many sporty hondas?

adrenaline
10-30-2006, 10:45 PM
Toyota, in my opinion, is the best automaker in the world. And no, they do not make the best cars. By the "best", I mean they are in the best position. They have truckloads of cash, they have a excellent worldwide reputation, they are growing in the biggest markets, whilst the traditional giants are failing.

At the same time, Toyota Australia need to die. I hate them (and I have good reason to). I never have liked them and I probably never will. Honda on the other hand are not the best in the world, but they have cars that people actually desire. That's why, Honda > Toyota.

h22a
10-30-2006, 10:49 PM
Toyota Australia needs to be murdered!! But there is still one last hope with the Sportivo Aurion coming out but no doubt it'll be fwd.

adrenaline
10-30-2006, 10:56 PM
Toyota Australia needs to be murdered!! But there is still one last hope with the Sportivo Aurion coming out but no doubt it'll be fwd.

I would have actually given the Aurion some respect, if Toyota didn't advertise it as an F1 car, and a "new direction in Aussie sixes". It isn't even a traditional Aussie six. It's FWD. Traditional sixes are RWD. Every "Aussie six" they have launched has failed. They have no right to step into Falcon's and Commodore's arena screaming "we are the best". And if that's not enough, they try to make people believe they are too good for V8 Supercars, AND they ripped off the names of their sports Aurion models from Ford. ZR6 WTF.

The Aurion isn't an F1 car. It's a stupid Camry wearing a mask.

kingofthering
10-30-2006, 10:57 PM
what do you mean does not compute, have you driven many sporty hondas?
well.... Honda has never produced a FWD sports car. The NSX and the S2000 are RWD.
The type-R integras and Civics are not sports cars, but they are pretty damn cool.

2ndclasscitizen
10-30-2006, 11:10 PM
The type-R integras and Civics are not sports cars, but they are pretty damn cool.Wow. You are really stupid.

h22a
10-30-2006, 11:34 PM
well.... Honda has never produced a FWD sports car. The NSX and the S2000 are RWD.
The type-R integras and Civics are not sports cars, but they are pretty damn cool.
Yes the s2000 and nsx are rwd. no shit
Clearly you have not driven any of these cars and have no idea. Please dont reply to my msgs if all they are going to contain is utter crap.

ps. your to quick for me 2nd class

kingofthering
10-31-2006, 08:16 AM
hey, i was only helping you understand what quiggs wrote.
you wrote what does that mean?

h22a
10-31-2006, 04:33 PM
hey, i was only helping you understand what quiggs wrote.
you wrote what does that mean?
anyway, moving on..

kingofthering
10-31-2006, 04:35 PM
yeah, it's a deadlock but Honda's the sportier of the two. Toyota's a bit more mature for the older generation, since the MR2 and Celica were discontinued.

brandisher
11-01-2006, 07:28 PM
Toyota for me. My dad use to have a 96 accord. brand new when we bought it. It kept breaking down on him even though it never had an accident on it. In the end we traded it in (close to 2002) for a new 01 4Runner when they were having their clearance sale. Haven't broken down once yet.

Kitdy
11-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Honda. Don't know why. They should make RWD's though as the people above say. Acura > luxurius Lexus, though somehoe, Acura >> Lexus to me. Honda > looks Toyota.

thatdbeme
11-01-2006, 10:33 PM
I would have actually given the Aurion some respect, if Toyota didn't advertise it as an F1 car, and a "new direction in Aussie sixes". It isn't even a traditional Aussie six. It's FWD. Traditional sixes are RWD. Every "Aussie six" they have launched has failed. They have no right to step into Falcon's and Commodore's arena screaming "we are the best". And if that's not enough, they try to make people believe they are too good for V8 Supercars, AND they ripped off the names of their sports Aurion models from Ford. ZR6 WTF.

The Aurion isn't an F1 car. It's a stupid Camry wearing a mask.

- They advertised it as a "new direction in aussie sixes" not a "traditional aussie 6".
- The Camry 6 didnt fail, they have sold heaps, i see them everywhere.
- Toyota do gain engineering knowledge from their F1 investment. Their claim is that their motorsport engineers had input into the 3.5 litre V6 inreasing the airflow to the cylinders. Also the underbody of the aurion has been designed to reduce drag.
- The ZR badge has been used by toyota for a while and hasnt been ripped off Ford.

Toyota doesnt owe Ford and Holden anything.
Dont hate the player hate the game. Their marketing department hasnt done anything more devious than is usually expected of a car company

nota
11-02-2006, 01:37 AM
Dont hate the player hate the game. Their marketing department hasnt done anything more devious than is usually expected of a car company
Toyo might not owe Ford & Holden .. but I think they cannot claim the same about their rightful tax obligations, or those long-held allegations for avoiding payment of ANY tax on profit in this country, a situation which may have literally gone on for decades. Is it true that Toyota's local arm avoided paying any tax on profit for up to thirty years or more?

Eg: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/03/09/1078594330163.html?from=storyrhs

adrenaline
11-02-2006, 03:31 AM
- They advertised it as a "new direction in aussie sixes" not a "traditional aussie 6".

"An Aussie six not inspired by touring cars, but by Formula 1"

- The Camry 6 didnt fail, they have sold heaps, i see them everywhere.

Ever heard of AVALON?

- Toyota do gain engineering knowledge from their F1 investment. Their claim is that their motorsport engineers had input into the 3.5 litre V6 inreasing the airflow to the cylinders. Also the underbody of the aurion has been designed to reduce drag.

Do you hear them saying that? No. What do you hear them saying? the CAR is inspired by Formula one. You obviously haven't seen their advertisements, where they fade away the Aurion sedan to reveal an F1 car.

- The ZR badge has been used by toyota for a while and hasnt been ripped off Ford.

It's a rip off. The same way Holden stole the Ford theme.

They owe them an apology for lying about 'not being invited to Bathurst' in their TV commercials. They not only lied, but attempted to degrade the image of V8 Supercars.

Dont hate the player hate the game.

Lame

Their marketing department hasnt done anything more devious than is usually expected of a car company

No, the Aurion really is a 'game changing' F1 car, that will change big "Aussie sixes" forever. A Japanese Camry is more of an "Aussie six" than the Falcon or Commodore ever will be. AND the Aurion wasn't invited to Bathurst because it is an F1 car, Australia's motorsport series just can't compete with this super Aurion.

2ndclasscitizen
11-02-2006, 03:44 AM
It's a rip off. The same way Holden stole the Ford theme.What did Holden steal from Ford?

adrenaline
11-02-2006, 03:47 AM
They changed 'S' to 'SV6' to align with Ford's 'XR6' naming.

2ndclasscitizen
11-02-2006, 03:53 AM
They changed 'S' to 'SV6' to align with Ford's 'XR6' naming.Or to align with the SV8 nameplate, and away from the old S-pack

adrenaline
11-02-2006, 04:07 AM
They really had no need to change it, if anything it alienated the SS.

charged
11-02-2006, 04:08 AM
Zr had been on the Toyota Celica since the mid 90's, its hardly a new ripoff.
The ZR plus the V6 in the Aurion = ZR6 not really rocket science.

"An Aussie six not inspired by touring cars, but by Formula 1"

Marketing hype, Ford and Holden dont make outlandish PR statements:rolleyes: eg the latest Fairmont Ghia and Commodore ad about being European or world beaters.

They owe them an apology for lying about 'not being invited to Bathurst' in their TV commercials. They not only lied, but attempted to degrade the image of V8 Supercars.

Mitsubishi has tried to enter and Toyota would if they could, AVESCO, Holden and Ford WILL never allow it, they have stated that many times in the press.
There take on it is they developed the V8 Supertaxis and its theirs only to participate in.

Like the V8's that race actually resemble the road cars:rolleyes: Although many motorsport guru's will tell you they are:eek:

Its amazing the different demographics at Bathurst when the V8 Supercars race and when the 24 hr production class is was raced there. I know which one I prefer.

2ndclasscitizen
11-02-2006, 04:17 AM
They really had no need to change it, if anything it alienated the SS.
How? They created the SV8 as a basic sports V8 and then made the SV6 to compliment it. It needed to be rebranded to get people away from the old idea of the S-pack as the SV6 was much higher-specced. It wouldn't have affedted the SS at all.

adrenaline
11-02-2006, 04:26 AM
Zr had been on the Toyota Celica since the mid 90's, its hardly a new ripoff.
The ZR plus the V6 in the Aurion = ZR6 not really rocket science.

I know they have had the name in the past, but applying it to a Large car where it's competitor's name differs by one letter it's going to confuse people. You can't say that they didn't have intentions of sounding like Ford and Holden.

Marketing hype, Ford and Holden dont make outlandish PR statements:rolleyes: eg the latest Fairmont Ghia and Commodore ad about being European or world beaters.

Worldbeaters? Never heard of that one...

Ford actually have European designed IRS and gearboxes in their cars. Saying it has Euro spirit is nothing like describing your Japanese Camry as an F1 car. And not letting Australia forget it. They won't let it rest.

Mitsubishi has tried to enter and Toyota would if they could, AVESCO, Holden and Ford WILL never allow it, they have stated that many times in the press.
There take on it is they developed the V8 Supertaxis and its theirs only to participate in.

Like the V8's that race actually resemble the road cars:rolleyes: Although many motorsport guru's will tell you they are:eek:

Its amazing the different demographics at Bathurst when the V8 Supercars race and when the 24 hr production class is was raced there. I know which one I prefer.

That doesn't change what Toyota said. "They weren't invited to Bathurst". It's ironic that in the very recent past Toyota couldn't give a sh*t about V8 Supercars, and now they are advertising about their sedans being too good for them.

And yes, V8s hardly resemble their road car cousins.

adrenaline
11-02-2006, 04:35 AM
How? They created the SV8 as a basic sports V8 and then made the SV6 to compliment it. It needed to be rebranded to get people away from the old idea of the S-pack as the SV6 was much higher-specced. It wouldn't have affedted the SS at all.

The SV8 only came one model series earlier, although I understand what you are saying...

thatdbeme
11-02-2006, 04:15 PM
Ever heard of AVALON?

Do you hear them saying that? No. What do you hear them saying? the CAR is inspired by Formula one. You obviously haven't seen their advertisements, where they fade away the Aurion sedan to reveal an F1 car.

I have heard of the avalon, which wasnt very successful, however you said that 'every' six they have released has failed.

If your looking for some discussion on how they link F1 to the development of the aurion then go to the aurion website.
F1 is a marketing program that Toyota use worldwide. That is why they enter F1, so they can use it to hype up their cars, but you can also expect them to gain some engineering knowledge from it for use in road cars. Not a lot in a family car, but some. They are entitled to dumb it down in TV ads if people will buy it.

Holden and ford are at least equally as dumb. I dont pay much attention however what was that commodore ad said recently? something along the lines of 'the most exciting car ever'?? come on its not exactly a veyron, lambo, ferrari (or whatever your lottery car is)

adrenaline
11-03-2006, 12:07 AM
I have heard of the avalon, which wasnt very successful, however you said that 'every' six they have released has failed.

If your looking for some discussion on how they link F1 to the development of the aurion then go to the aurion website.
F1 is a marketing program that Toyota use worldwide. That is why they enter F1, so they can use it to hype up their cars, but you can also expect them to gain some engineering knowledge from it for use in road cars. Not a lot in a family car, but some. They are entitled to dumb it down in TV ads if people will buy it.

Holden and ford are at least equally as dumb. I dont pay much attention however what was that commodore ad said recently? something along the lines of 'the most exciting car ever'?? come on its not exactly a veyron, lambo, ferrari (or whatever your lottery car is)

The difference is, the Avalon was targeting Commodore and Falcon, whilst Camry was more of a midsize challenger, never aimed at large cars.

Toyota can scream F1 all they want. I would be happy if their ads actually outlined this supposed F1 input, but instead they market the whole car - chassis and all - as F1 technology. Japanese Camry F1 FTW!!

Ford and Holden have their fair share of TV advertising garbage, but they don't go nearly as far as Toyota. Trying to make V8 Supercars (AUSTRALIA's most loved motorsport division) look crappy is not only a dumb move, but something I won't forgive. Holden's claim isn't completely crazy, as they didn't say "THE" most exciting cars, they said "ONE OF". And benchmarking against BMW and Merc is a testament to this.

STREETFIRE
11-03-2006, 03:04 AM
I agree. With ADRENALINE. Even if I'm a Holden fan. You could benchmark the Calais V against an Audi A4 and not be kicked into a mental asylum. But screaming F1?http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/228/lamejg9.gif

QBridge
11-04-2006, 10:05 AM
The new Camry is just as boring as previous generations but with decent power...and I'll add to that... decent FWD power.
Honda and Toyota both need to grow up and get rid of anything transversly mounted.

2ndclasscitizen
11-04-2006, 06:04 PM
and I'll add to that... decent FWD power.
Honda and Toyota both need to grow up and get rid of anything transversly mounted.
Annoyingly, they've already started

http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/06/honda_nsx-r_front.jpg

http://www.edmunds.com/media/seo/500/2005.toyota.mr2.spyder.jpg

But unfortunately, GM dropped this nearly 40 years ago

http://www.1motormart.com/gallery/68olds01.jpg

Oh no! He's Back!

SMP!

Ingolstadt
11-10-2006, 07:34 AM
Or to align with the SV8 nameplate, and away from the old S-pack

Please, Z,R,V,T,G,X ..... these alphabets are always associated with 'sporty' cars. I couldn't imagine some V8 Supercar named POF... or QDJ

jcp123
11-14-2006, 10:44 AM
I'd just prefer a name rather than meaningless alphanumeric stuff. Although something like GT or SS is fine IF it's attached to an actual name, like Mustang GT or Impala SS.

gikaseixas
11-26-2006, 02:06 PM
My Accord Coupe EX V6 rocks, better than a Solara any day...

Toyota's rep is in danger in the last year because of some issue with late models, they better fix it soon. I really like the new Camry's and the entire Lexus Line but i prefer Honda & Acura

man 430gt
11-26-2006, 02:09 PM
This is great thread that I have some how manged to miss, but for me I'd go Honda.. Honda S2000>Toyota Supra>Honda NSX>Toyota who?

El Toro Furioso
11-28-2006, 12:52 AM
honda = better then toyota. lexus = better then acure

honda=HistoryOfNoDramaticAcelleration

Acura=A CuteUnderpoweredRecreationalAutomobile

Prelude=PistonsRattleEngineLocksUpDiffrentialExplo des

El Toro Furioso
11-28-2006, 12:53 AM
This is great thread that I have some how manged to miss, but for me I'd go Honda.. Honda S2000>Toyota Supra>Honda NSX>Toyota who?

I raced a NSX once... Guess who won :D :p he he he

i did but im just playing with you :D

Honda=rice

Shivs
05-08-2008, 01:56 AM
:)Hey guys, im from South Africa...In all honesty, honda is a better looking car, is a tad quicker BUT, overall toyota has the best reliablilty, fuel economy, safety and more

My dad had driven a 1989 160GLS, it had 380 000km on the clock, the tappet cover has never been opend, the only problem we had a thermostat trouble, which was replaced, easily and cheaply....after that toyo was sold, dad bought another toyota, which i currently drive, 300000km on the clock and it still sticks with a bwm 320i coming off the line while maintaining 12.5km per litre of gas.

I am a toyota fan but also appreciate the achievment of Honda...Japanese cars rock:)

Shivs
05-08-2008, 01:57 AM
OH i forgot to mention, the tappet has never been opened and the only trouble i had with the car was the regulator in the alternator, it was promtley sorted out

faksta
05-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Well, AFAIK all Central Africa drive Land Cruisers - they're VERY reliable and behave much better than even Land Rovers in those terms, serving for many decades in sands. Moreover, the old ones are very cheap to handle and repair.
Also, Toyota has plants in SAR (as opposed to Honda?), so they can adjust their cars more easily for 'hot' conditions...

h22a
05-09-2008, 10:43 PM
I raced a NSX once... Guess who won :D :p he he he

i did but im just playing with you :D

Honda=rice

Was the NSX parked?:rolleyes:
lol, name a current toyota sports car....celica?aurion TRD? pffft toyota's are rental cars. i do like the hilux's and LC 78 series
Atleast honda makes something that resembles a sports car;)

Slicks
05-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Was the NSX parked?:rolleyes:

Its not exactly a miracle beating a 13 second car...