PDA

View Full Version : Drove my pals Cayman S!

Dino Scuderia
09-25-2006, 05:58 AM
Had a bunch of friends over Saturday one of which is the owner of one of the first 500 Cayman's made. It's white with dark blue interior, sport seats and steering wheel, 19 rims, close ratio shifter, and Chronos Sports Package.

The car is amazing in so many ways..from it's looks to it's rock solid feel. I'm 6' 2" tall so ingress and egress is a bit of a chore as the car sits very low. Once in you immediately notice how compact it is...and not just because of my size. It isn't claustrophobic at all...it gives you a very good field of vision and plenty of head room.

The sport seats and the whole cockpit fit like a glove giving the feeling of a car you wear instead of merely being in. The footbox is very tight and the pedals are close of course for heel/toe shifting. The shifting is precise and requires very little movement of the stick.

The key goes in the ignition left of the wheel and with a slight turn the engine fires. The sound took me by surprise...there was a whirring noise I could hear over the other mechanical sounds which was turbine like. Underway the car is plenty quite for conversation at normal levels but the engine sound was nicely in the background.

I live where the roads are curvy and hilly, the next best thing to being in the mountains! The suspension felt supple but certainly not washy and the steering tight and precise, the car is solid as an Abrams. The gauges are a nice mix of traditional needles and LCD information inserts.

After a short drive in regular mode I pulled into a parking lot and my pal was telling me about the Chronos. On the left of the steering wheel is a lever much like a turn signal stalk...he told me to push it forward...I did and the LCD panel revealed that the first stage of the Chronos was on.

The Chronos mode changes the engine mapping and firms the suspension..I could immediately tell the engine was more aggresive as soon as I let out the clutch. He said push the lever again...I did and the mapping changed again and the suspension stiffened more and lowered. Also a chronograph up on the center of the dash began to time the trip..of course that's really for using on track days.

Even in Chronos stage two the ride isn't terrible on normal roads. The engine was very responsive, it took less throttle to get more out of the engine...which has plenty of torque. I only ran it up to 75mph(in a 55mph speed zone) and of course it reached that speed in a flash. I can't even explain how the car feels in the turns, it has characteristics engineered into it that you can only experience in cars like that.

The drive was only a few miles and I didn't get anywhere near the cars limits...and I probably shoudn't not being the owner...but I did get to press it a bit thanks to my pal being a very generous person. The Cayman to my view is one of the best packages available...Porsche quality, 27mpg on the road, comfortable on long trips and stellar performance when you want it.

acemotorsport
09-25-2006, 06:04 AM
got pics?

Dino Scuderia
09-25-2006, 06:13 AM
got pics?

Here it is when it just arrived at the dealer.

acemotorsport
09-25-2006, 06:19 AM
nice.

Vaigra
09-25-2006, 06:26 AM
I'm a fan of this car, though I'm not a huge Porsche fan. The mid-engined layout and awesome handling (so I've heard) make it a good, not-too-expensive purchase. Kudos to the guy for getting it in white, I luv white cars :)
Let us know if you have any more experiences in it sometime :)

BTW, has acemotorsport stolen another avatar?!

ruim20
09-25-2006, 07:28 AM
So how about the clutch? still extra long like the boxter or 911?

Dino Scuderia
09-25-2006, 07:37 AM

Comparing it to the only other Porsche I've driven, the 996, it's much better IMO because the 996 clutch is hinged at the bottom, the Cayman's is at the top which I much prefer. Didn't seem long at all.

The 996 feels heavy, this car just feels light and solid.

McReis
09-25-2006, 08:17 AM
the 996 clutch is hinged at the bottom, the Cayman's is at the top which I much prefer. .
That has nothing to do with the car model. Try driving 2 996 or 2 Cayman's and you'll probably notice the same difference.

Dino Scuderia
09-25-2006, 08:21 AM
That has nothing to do with the car model. Try driving 2 996 or 2 Cayman's and you'll probably notice the same difference.

I agree the clutch travel could be the same with either, I was mainly saying I don't like the bottom hinged clutch pedals.

Yellowbird
09-25-2006, 09:40 AM
I had a test drive in it too and I must agree, the handling is absolutely mind-boggling! Porsche has a way of making few horsepower fell like a lot. Like the opposite of an old American car ;) The brakes in the Cayman S are also GREAT! I would love one of those, simply a fantastic car!

DesmoRob
09-25-2006, 09:48 AM
Sounds like quite the experience:). A friend of my dad's is planning on getting a 2003 Boxster sometime in the near future, so hopefully I will be able to have a little Porsche time myself:D.

RazaBlade
09-25-2006, 10:07 AM
awesome stuff dino, slightly jealous! Cannot wait for the day I have my first drive in a Porsche. Say congrats to your mate from me!!!

ruim20
09-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Comparing it to the only other Porsche I've driven, the 996, it's much better IMO because the 996 clutch is hinged at the bottom, the Cayman's is at the top which I much prefer. Didn't seem long at all.

The 996 feels heavy, this car just feels light and solid.

I've only driven the 996 Turbo, GT2 and the new Boxster. The turbo and the boxster clutch were very long and i think pretty soft clutches, passing from the Turbo to the GT2 you could really feel a much harder clutch but unfortunatly the travel almost remained the same wich in my oppinion isn't very helpfull in a sports car.

McReis
09-26-2006, 02:32 AM
I drove a Boxster for half a year, and honestly, didn't have a problem with that. As you probably know, clutches are self adjustable nowadays. So one day it can be picking lower and the next day higher. But with the use to drive you get to a point when you really don't think about that anymore. About the travel, it's not much of an issue. Most of the times you don't need to get the pedal all the way down to shift, and while on city traffic, the big travel makes the clutch easier to use.

clutch-monkey
09-26-2006, 05:47 AM
i don't find it extra long at all on the 911? :confused: