PDA

View Full Version : People are reviving old, dead threads again!

carlover
04-02-2004, 03:12 PM
I think if it's been 4 or 5 months, people don't care about a reply!!!! It has been getting kind of annoying lately... Anyways, don't revive old threads! You can tell if it's an old dead thread if nobody posts in it for a long time. I think we had a thread like this once and then for some time we stopped but now it's happening again. Maybe we could have a huge pop-up whenever a new member signs in that says "Don't revive old threads! You can tell if it's an old dead thread if nobody posts in it for a long time!". I may be overreacting, but I think this is getting out of hand.

whiteballz
04-02-2004, 04:15 PM
i agree totally, forgive me for i have sinned! i revived an old topid about 2 weeks ago! may i be forgiven? :p

NoOne
04-02-2004, 04:17 PM
Personally I do think you are over-reacting. There is a lot of good info in quite a few of those old threads, not to mention great pictures. Remember that old threads are only "old" threads to those who have not seen them, take a look at members "join date" and you'll see that a lot have joined in the past 2-3 months.

Besides, its fun re-reading old threads, I have found that my opinions on a few things have changed slightly since my own join date, funny how misconceptions and misinformation can do that. ;)

Batmobile_Turbo
04-02-2004, 05:16 PM
i don't like it when old threads are rvived, but it is just fine to keep them around for reference purposes, but nobody cares about the C6 Corvette spy pics anymore :D
(but i heard it will look like this) :D

henk4
04-03-2004, 05:26 AM
Well, the forums are now running for one year, so nothing is really "old". We get new members everyday, and as No-One said, they might also benefit from the wealth of information (and stupid points of view) that have been already posted.
Actually I see a lot of new threads passing by on subjects that have already been extensively dealt with in previous threads, so I would favour a mechanism where new thread posters would be alarmed with a flash-up saying: "Don't repeat old threads"

kiwitt
04-04-2004, 03:26 PM
I think if the Thread is considered "closed" it should be closed by a Moderator after a PM is sent from the originator of the thread. However, if a new member joins, like me :D, and I come across a thread which I have an opinion about, I would like to raise it. Otherwise, I would be forced to open a new thread, further cluttering up the discussions.

Just my Opinion

Egg Nog
04-04-2004, 03:28 PM
The simplest way to get rid of these problems is to get rid of the "related threads" links at the bottom of the page. They are what's causing all of this annoyance.

Misho
04-04-2004, 06:46 PM
The simplest way to get rid of these problems is to get rid of the "related threads" links at the bottom of the page. They are what's causing all of this annoyance.

total agreement here. i think these links cause 99% of reviving old dead threads.

crisis
04-05-2004, 12:19 AM
As has been stated, old threads are only old to those who have not viewed them . If it annoys you, dont read it. I have noticed many new members and these people may have something useful to add. For my part I dont mind reading them . The only ones that are annoying to me are the "which is better" crap. But those types of threads shit me anyhow.

henk4
04-05-2004, 12:22 AM
As has been stated, old threads are only old to those who have not viewed them . If it annoys you, dont read it. I have noticed many new members and these people may have something useful to add. For my part I dont mind reading them . The only ones that are annoying to me are the "which is better" crap. But those types of threads shit me anyhow.

I fully agree, I also don't mind reading older car magazines.