PDA

View Full Version : Caparo T1 prototypes completed

lightweight
10-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Caparo Vehicle Technologies has built the first two production prototypes of its Caparo T1 road car. Completion of the "XP1" prototypes marks the beginning of a rigorous test program before production cars can be built and delivered to customers early next spring. The shake-down will include engine mapping and other specific tests as well as long-term durability and high speed trials.

A second prototype — the XP2 — is expected to be completed before Christmas and will similarly be tested for durability and performance. The highly experienced professional race driver Chris Goodwin will help to evaluate both vehicles for their all-important handling characteristics and dynamic performance on the track.

Mr.Tiv
10-02-2006, 02:27 PM
I thought it had a roof.

ferrarifreak013
10-02-2006, 02:45 PM
maybe its a hard top?

Coventrysucks
10-02-2006, 03:07 PM
The aero screen/canopy is optional.

:Exige:
10-02-2006, 03:08 PM
I thought it had a roof.
It would have to be removable, otherwise you wouldn't be able to get in. The roof to my knowledge was basically a glass dome. Personally I think it's no loss if it doesn't have a roof ... less weight, more performance :)

Mr.Tiv
10-02-2006, 03:11 PM
It would have to be removable, otherwise you wouldn't be able to get in. The roof to my knowledge was basically a glass dome. Personally I think it's no loss if it doesn't have a roof ... less weight, more performance :)
Shouldn't it have leass drag with the roof on it; in my opinion it is better looking with the canopy or roof or what have you.

h00t_h00t
10-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Less aerodynamic, not as cool :p

carsnut
10-02-2006, 03:19 PM
i don't see how jeremy clarkson will be able to test it on top gear, considering how small the cockpit is. Can't wait to see the production car

NSXType-R
10-02-2006, 03:40 PM
Wouldn't it be less rigid if it had no top?

2ndclasscitizen
10-02-2006, 04:54 PM
Not neccessairly. If it was designed to have a removable roof it can still be just as stiff. Though of course the roof would allow extra chassis stiffness

Mr.Tiv
10-02-2006, 04:58 PM
Not neccessairly. If it was designed to have a removable roof it can still be just as stiff. Though of course the roof would allow extra chassis stiffness
From what i can gather based on pictures, the roof, on this car, doesn't affect the rigidity of the chasis, it just slides on. Theorectically having an integrated roof would make it stiffer, but, as mentioned before, you couldn't get in.

aNOBLEman
10-02-2006, 06:22 PM
It looks nice already. Hopefully all the testing will go well.

Bob
10-02-2006, 06:42 PM
the center of gravity on this car is so low and the structure is such that a roof wouldn't help it be much stiffer. Also remember that the effect of chassis rigidity on handling is proportional to weight, so losing the roof could effectively increase the stiffness assuming that the roof doesn't help as a structural element. (Less Inertia/Mass means less torque on the chassis, hence less twisting.)

KonaGreen
10-02-2006, 08:27 PM
:eek: Holy Crap it's small!!!!

sicilian973-2
10-03-2006, 06:34 AM
that thing is ugly

LandQuail
10-03-2006, 06:50 AM
With the single-mindedness of this thing, rigidity is probably not going to be a problem.

It's all carbon monocoque... Monoqouc ... Mont Blanc? I don't know how to spell that stupid word...

Anyway, I'd imagine it's built with similar methods as a LeMans open prototype, and nobody ever complains about those lacking rigidity without a top.

Now, decaptiate a Camaro or Mustang... it's a different story.

I hope one of these finds its way onto the same track as an FXX someday. Would't that be a case of the scrappy underdog taking on old moneybags. Except the scrappy underdog would have a mere offshore bank account in Nassau rather than the far superior Swiss-managed funds of the FXX pilot.

Wacky Racers. What a world.

NSXType-R
10-03-2006, 01:06 PM
that thing is ugly

It's still a prototype... read the post.;)

Mr.Tiv
10-03-2006, 01:29 PM
that thing is ugly
I dig it.