PDA

View Full Version : Ricing my ride

brandisher
10-05-2006, 11:28 AM
A few days ago I was talking with my buddies and they suggest ricing my ride.:eek: I am thinking of just adding more power to it, maybe a turbo and a stock spoiler since I've seen some with the pedistal spoiler for the IS300s and it looks good. Other than that I don't know wheather to rice it any further.

I am also thinking of just leaving it stock since it just looks good to my eyes

IWantAnAudiRS6
10-05-2006, 11:35 AM
Obviously the turbo!

Then you can feel that irresistable kick in the small of your back when you floor it... yum :)

Do not rice it :p

Piacki_117
10-05-2006, 11:38 AM
Buy the turbo but not the spoiler. Ricing sucks.

lightweight
10-05-2006, 11:53 AM
I suggest you buy a faster stock car. Don't mess with aftermarket kits, as they aren't tested extensively. In a few years time you WILL get reliability problems. Also the fuel consumption will be higher in the aftermarket car compared to a similar stock motor.

Quiggs
10-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Turbo all day every day.

brandisher
10-05-2006, 12:01 PM
I suggest you buy a faster stock car.

:eek: I can't sell my baby!! It is my first car that I have bought with my own money!! That thing is going to be with me for a long time. Even if I get married and my wife makes me sell it.

It will never be sold!!:D

Also I can't buy another ride I can't afford a car faster than this one because I will get killed by higher insurance rates and college is putting a hole in my wallet!:(

kingofthering
10-05-2006, 12:19 PM
bigger exhaust system. a Borla Exhaust, or a HKS/Greddy/Apex'i one won't be a bad choice.

jorismo
10-05-2006, 12:27 PM
bigger exhaust system. a Borla Exhaust, or a HKS/Greddy/Apex'i one won't be a bad choice.

Yeah it will... he will become one of those noobs whos car makes one hell of a sound but doesn't have the speed to go with it.

First get the turbe then maybe an exhaust...

Quiggs
10-05-2006, 12:37 PM
On second thought, everyone and their mothers are doing turbo setups these days. I say build a NA beast. Raise the compression to 12:1, P+P the head, get a short runner intake manifold, balance the block and make it spin to 9 grand.

And please, not every aftermarket exhaust setup is just for the 'sound.'

jorismo
10-05-2006, 12:39 PM

Yeah I know... perhaps he should get both (a turbo and an exhaust)

Quiggs
10-05-2006, 12:48 PM
If he decides on the turbo, he should most definitely get a full turbo-back exhaust. Turbos rely on bigger exhausts to make their power.

pAinTrAin
10-05-2006, 01:12 PM
IS 300 look good stock, but a lip kit, lowered with a nice set of rims make it look so nice. There is one in town that has all that done and omg so nice, but maybe you should make a sleeper out of it.

This looks nice just don't change the rear lights.
http://www.quebectuning.qc.ca/images/newsMgr/$%20Lexus%20IS300%2004.jpg

This is ricer although it doesn't look like crap.
http://pscars.phuxxx.com/todayscar/Lexus_is300_Evo_1.jpg

P.S. this car loosk so much nier without a rear spoiler unless your going to be tracking(racing) the car a lot.

Zytek_Fan
10-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Get a turbo and a new exhaust. DO NOT BUY COFFEE CAN EXHAUST THOUGH.

ferrarifreak013
10-05-2006, 01:14 PM
On second thought, everyone and their mothers are doing turbo setups these days. I say build a NA beast. Raise the compression to 12:1, P+P the head, get a short runner intake manifold, balance the block and make it spin to 9 grand.

i agree also because people who know alot about cars will have mopre respect for your car if its a N/A and has mass amounts of power

Zytek_Fan
10-05-2006, 01:25 PM
I'm going to be getting a 2000 something Ford Focus hatch in a few months, and I was thinking of getting a WRC kind of exhaust and make it look like the Ford Focus rally cars of 2001-2002.

http://www.ilkansivu.net/Neste_Rally_Finland_2003/107_0797_EK_2_Jukojarvi_1_Janne_Tuohino_ja_Jukka_A ho_Ford_Focus_RS_WRC_02.jpg

pAinTrAin
10-05-2006, 01:40 PM
I'm going to be getting a 2000 something Ford Focus hatch in a few months, and I was thinking of getting a WRC kind of exhaust and make it look like the Ford Focus rally cars of 2001-2002.

Your gonna stick decals all over your car?

Zytek_Fan
10-05-2006, 01:41 PM
Your gonna stick decals all over your car?
Maybe some BP Ultimate ones on the front bumper :D

baddabang
10-05-2006, 02:16 PM
I chose "rice" just to asume that your going to give into peer pressure and try to make yourself look cool to your friends.

Plus nobody else voted for it and I wanted to be the first :p

coolieman1220
10-05-2006, 02:56 PM
2JZ begs to be blown! its a Supra engine

IWantAnAudiRS6
10-05-2006, 03:21 PM
I suggest you buy a faster stock car. Don't mess with aftermarket kits, as they aren't tested extensively. In a few years time you WILL get reliability problems. Also the fuel consumption will be higher in the aftermarket car compared to a similar stock motor.
Oh really.

I know of a Cosworth around here that's had an aftermarket turbo kit fitted (the old turbo was used as a living room ornament), and it's running fine after 8 years.

Also, as a decent turbo can get you a 60bhp power hike with a slight penalty in fuel economy, I don't see how a natuned, bigger engine will better it for mpg. For example... VW's 1.4 Twincharged engine with a turbo AND supercharger produces more power and better miles to the gallon than the 2.0FSI, which also has worse performance.

kingofthering
10-05-2006, 03:29 PM
2JZ begs to be blown! its a Supra engine
no, that's the 2JZGTE, this is the 2JZ GE. Changing it to a Supra engine will require extensive mods.

clutch-monkey
10-05-2006, 03:47 PM
i say rice it, if you can appreciate irony.

h00t_h00t
10-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Ironic rice is always the best ¬_¬

You should buy the turbo if you want more power. Trying to get NA power is much much more expensive and you end with less power and usually less reliable engine than a turbo.

Vindesh17
10-05-2006, 04:18 PM
I say leave it stock. I've had the urge to mod my car since I got it but I've held back... so far. Think about your insurance rates after you install a turbo. If that doesn't deter you nothing else will.

Rockefella
10-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Rice it and get tons of chicks! That's at least my opinion anyway.

pAinTrAin
10-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Changing it to a Supra engine will require extensive mods.

And makeing one hell of a project:D

Rice it and get tons of chicks! That's at least my opinion anyway.

The chicks don't love the ricer crap anymore, I get more chicks driving my muscle car then guys can with there ricer's

Rockefella
10-05-2006, 05:15 PM
The chicks don't love the ricer crap anymore, I get more chicks driving my muscle car then guys can with there ricer's
OMG NO! All da chikz luv my ricer-ride!! They say, "Lemme see you're 2JZ-GTE" and I say "yeah!"

The_Canuck
10-05-2006, 07:29 PM
OMG NO! All da chikz luv my ricer-ride!! They say, "Lemme see you're 2JZ-GTE" and I say "yeah!"
Chicks are afraid of AXB...

zeppelin
10-05-2006, 08:36 PM
I say leave it stock. I've had the urge to mod my car since I got it but I've held back... so far. Think about your insurance rates after you install a turbo. If that doesn't deter you nothing else will.

You could just not tell them about the turbo.

brandisher
10-05-2006, 08:55 PM
Holy! Virtually everybody is pro-turbo here.:rolleyes:

Right now I am leaning to just leaving it stock because there is a lot of things to do to have the best output for a turbo.

exhaust
bov
recaliberate ecu
turbo gauges (to know things)

what else is there do I need to do to get the turbo to perform at its best?

PerfAdv
10-05-2006, 09:15 PM
Build the suspension and brakes before you build too much power into it. Power wise, consider intake, exhaust, and re-flashing the ECU. Exhaust, do cat-back so you aren't wasting an expensive header when you go Turbo...

brandisher
10-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Thats going to cost quite a few grand!

PerfAdv
10-05-2006, 09:38 PM
That's why it's usually best to enjoy a car as-is.

If you are going to build it up then it's best to make the car a better driver not just a better 1/4 mile car. That's best done with a more responsive car without changing the car's inherent character. Don't do anything drastic.

H&R makes OE sport springs that are just a little stiffer than stock and only lower the car slightly. Springs and shocks would be a good start. ....Or, if you want something more noticeable, do cat-back exhaust.

NuclearCrap
10-05-2006, 10:43 PM
I have something in my mind: don't add any crazy bodykits to it, just leave it stock and have it painted bright red, then get a small carbon fiber lid spoiler on the trunk and wheels of you choice, hopefully not the bling-blings. Adding power to FF cars won't help much, consider getting new suspensions and tires to get rid of some of that understeer instead.

acemotorsport
10-05-2006, 11:34 PM
as nuclear crap sed (or some of it) set your car you as a handling car don't do power upgrades except for exhaust and ecu

pAinTrAin
10-06-2006, 12:30 AM
You could just not tell them about the turbo.

You wont have to, they will hear the spoil up or BOV:rolleyes:

clutch-monkey
10-06-2006, 01:06 AM
You wont have to, they will hear the spoil up or BOV:rolleyes:
except neither of those things are necessary :confused: you can have a turbo with out the accompanying acoustics... i.e. bluey's S14

fpv_gtho
10-06-2006, 01:27 AM
If it was my car i'd look around at maybe a 4L or 4.3L Lexus V8, especially if you want to go for alot more power.

How much money are you planning on spending though? If youre on a limited budget, maybe you should just stick to an exhaust and maybe chip, then worry about making the car look how you want. If youve got someone bankrolling the whole project then you should think of things like turbo's, V8's or even mega NA engines like Quigg's suggested.

If its your only car you'll probably be alot more satisfied with it if its got more than stock, sounds alright outside, sounds alright inside and just generally looks alright than if it only had a 2Krpm powerband, chewed through twice as much fuel, was a hassle to keep reliable etc. Think about how youre gunna drive it etc and how youre gunna care for it. If youre gunna drive it until it breaks then definately dont look at turbo's and highly strung motors.

IWantAnAudiRS6
10-06-2006, 01:51 AM
Holy! Virtually everybody is pro-turbo here.:rolleyes:

Right now I am leaning to just leaving it stock because there is a lot of things to do to have the best output for a turbo.

exhaust
bov
recaliberate ecu
turbo gauges (to know things)

what else is there do I need to do to get the turbo to perform at its best?
Just so long as you do it in the future :D

Perhaps the most important thing to keep in mind is cooling. Turbos work at very high temperatures, and the last thing you need is to overheat your engine. Make sure you have a lot of possibilities for cooling the engine down- an intercooler does this with a little more power, but is also quite expensive...

Make sure you buy the right turbo for your car, too. Does your car naturally have a bias to perform well at high revs, or does it pull well from low down?

If your car needs a boost nearer the bottom of the rev range, you should buy a small turbo. It will spool up quicker, and then you can rely on your engine's natural power further up the rev range. However, if your engine feels like it's running out of puff nearer the top of the rev range, buy a larger turbo that will cut in at about 3,000rpm.

For a small turbo, I recommend a Garrett T24. Ridiculously low cut-in, and it has a nice dollop of power to go with it. A large turbo- you can have either a Garrett T35 or, if you want to be ridiculous, a T88...

Get either a larger exhaust, or another one. The bigger your exhaust, the better the turbo will 'breathe'. Having a small exhaust can actually limit the power you get out of your engine.

Rockefella
10-06-2006, 03:07 AM
Just so long as you do it in the future :D

Perhaps the most important thing to keep in mind is cooling. Turbos work at very high temperatures, and the last thing you need is to overheat your engine. Make sure you have a lot of possibilities for cooling the engine down- an intercooler does this with a little more power, but is also quite expensive...

Make sure you buy the right turbo for your car, too. Does your car naturally have a bias to perform well at high revs, or does it pull well from low down?

If your car needs a boost nearer the bottom of the rev range, you should buy a small turbo. It will spool up quicker, and then you can rely on your engine's natural power further up the rev range. However, if your engine feels like it's running out of puff nearer the top of the rev range, buy a larger turbo that will cut in at about 3,000rpm.

For a small turbo, I recommend a Garrett T24. Ridiculously low cut-in, and it has a nice dollop of power to go with it. A large turbo- you can have either a Garrett T35 or, if you want to be ridiculous, a T88...

Get either a larger exhaust, or another one. The bigger your exhaust, the better the turbo will 'breathe'. Having a small exhaust can actually limit the power you get out of your engine.
All of the information above is incorrect.

Step 1: Get two huge tanks of Nitrous Oxide. NOS brand is highly recommended.

Step 2: Buy 5" stainless-steel exhaust tip.

IWantAnAudiRS6
10-06-2006, 03:13 AM

I think I should have your mod position, to be honest... :rolleyes:

Rockefella
10-06-2006, 03:19 AM
I think I should have your mod position, to be honest... :rolleyes:
Yeah, in Hell!

Damn British are starting to become German these days. :cool:

Disclaimer: I'm just having my fun. When it comes to taking care of business, I do a lot of dirty work.

acemotorsport
10-06-2006, 03:22 AM

you forgot to say where to put it i recommend to put it under the seat it double as a ejecto-seato

IWantAnAudiRS6
10-06-2006, 03:25 AM
you forgot to say where to put it i recommend to put it under the seat it double as a ejecto-seato
Haha...

Hahahahahahaha...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

ROFLMAOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!

Shut up. :p

2ndclasscitizen
10-06-2006, 03:32 AM
Adding power to FF cars won't help much, consider getting new suspensions and tires to get rid of some of that understeer instead.Oooo, don't you hate it when you saying something stupid! (The IS300 is RWD)

fpv_gtho
10-06-2006, 04:41 AM
Going for too big an exhaust can be more of a problem for a turbo than an NA actually, IIRC the backpressure from the exhaust has alot to do with the max boost the turbo will produce, so if you go too large you'll have alot of lag etc.

IWantAnAudiRS6
10-06-2006, 06:26 AM
Going for too big an exhaust can be more of a problem for a turbo than an NA actually, IIRC the backpressure from the exhaust has alot to do with the max boost the turbo will produce, so if you go too large you'll have alot of lag etc.
Yes, you're right. I was considering editing my post to include that... but I couldn't be bothered :p

Not too small... not too big... a tricky thing to balance! 3.5" should be enough.

magracer
10-06-2006, 07:36 AM
As some have said, i think you should concentrate on other areas before going turbo. I would start with some professional driving instruction, then go with suspension, brakes and tires, and finally I would be hitting all the track days I could.

My friends an I have this theory about the "turbo sindrome". People with turbos simply go fast on the straights and then almost stop to a crawl to take the turns. This was proven on a local hillclimb where we on "stock" cars, beat the turbo cars (we had Swift GTi's and Clio RSIs and beat the Turbo GTI's. The turbo guys simply couldn't believe it).

All this, given that you don't live your life "a quarter mile at a time".

kingofthering
10-06-2006, 08:28 AM
As some have said, i think you should concentrate on other areas before going turbo. I would start with some professional driving instruction, then go with suspension, brakes and tires, and finally I would be hitting all the track days I could.

My friends an I have this theory about the "turbo sindrome". People with turbos simply go fast on the straights and then almost stop to a crawl to take the turns. This was proven on a local hillclimb where we on "stock" cars, beat the turbo cars (we had Swift GTi's and Clio RSIs and beat the Turbo GTI's. The turbo guys simply couldn't believe it).

All this, given that you don't live your life "a quarter mile at a time".
Turbos are pretty expensive too. A turbo will set you 5-6K for a full turbonetics kit. Stick with the suspension and tires and brakes. Get rid of some of the unneeded things for a free weight reduction.

IWantAnAudiRS6
10-06-2006, 09:37 AM
The Lexus already has a nice setup, why buy more for it when it already handles tidily?

Quiggs
10-06-2006, 10:23 AM
The cylinder pressures alone insure that a turbo setup will wear a motor faster.

And those canister style exhausts we all love to hate so much are the most efficient design out there. There's a reason you see them on 1000hp Supras and the like.

kigango123
10-06-2006, 10:32 AM
you definetely need the turbo,
maybe a lip kit there, sideskirts here
not full on rice

The cylinder pressures alone insure that a turbo setup will wear a motor faster.

And those canister style exhausts we all love to hate so much are the most efficient design out there. There's a reason you see them on 1000hp Supras and the like.

it does increase wear, but not by that much, worst thing comes is you would need to put some cylinder sleeves for the wear. and that would still mean more power

Juggs
10-06-2006, 02:09 PM
you definetely need the turbo,
maybe a lip kit there, sideskirts here
not full on rice

it does increase wear, but not by that much, worst thing comes is you would need to put some cylinder sleeves for the wear. and that would still mean more power

uhhh a turbo will wear out a motor faster because of the extra stress on parts like the main bearings, rod caps and bolts, the rods themselves, crank journals ect. it wont just make ur pistons start sanding ur cylinders away at an incredible rate tho...so i guess technically your both wrong.:p

that being said i say turbo too :) but do you have an idea how much a turbo kit costs? to do it right at least. you buy the kit (i'm assuming your buying a kit and not building your own turbo system) then u gotta have it installed (also assuming you couldnt handle a somewhat involved process like a turbo install correct me if im wrong). then you have to get it dyno tuned. some kits wont come with other things you'll need either like larger injectors, more powerful fuel pump, bigger fuel rail ect. and then you get all that and then your going to need a stronger transmission if you plan on pushing any serious amount of boost, and you'll need an LSD and who knows what else. if you can swing it tho a turbo kit is the best way to make power on a car if you ask me. i think somebody on here said buy a faster stock car...that might be your cheapest alternative and possibly your best bet too. for what you'll pay to do a turbo you could definatley buy a faster car, something that will be faster than your car with a turbo even if you know what to look for and depending on what kind of driving you plan on doing. i wish you luck but heres the best advice you will hear from me, turn off need for speed and start doing a little research into what it takes to make a well running turbo car.

Egg Nog
10-06-2006, 02:32 PM

"I need NOS! The big ones. Two of 'em."

:D

h00t_h00t
10-06-2006, 04:13 PM
But beware of effeminate gun wielding triads.

"NAWZZZ!!!"

*BOOM*

*Green fire*

happens to me every Friday night.

Quiggs
10-06-2006, 06:03 PM
uhhh a turbo will wear out a motor faster because of the extra stress on parts like the main bearings, rod caps and bolts, the rods themselves, crank journals ect. it wont just make ur pistons start sanding ur cylinders away at an incredible rate tho...so i guess technically your both wrong.:p
And that extra stress comes from the higher combustion pressures and temperatures. I win. :)

NuclearCrap
10-07-2006, 07:57 PM
Oooo, don't you hate it when you saying something stupid! (The IS300 is RWD)

Damn you've spoiled it, now that he know he's got a RWD he's gonna put big exhausts and NOS on it for sure!

brandisher
10-07-2006, 11:15 PM
I think I am going to leave it stock:rolleyes:
I really want this car to last as long as it can last because it is my first car that I have bought with my own money. So it has a lot of sedimental value to it. Like the saying "Why fix it when it is not broken." Adding turbo seems really tempting since I can smoke people but to do so would slowly affect my engine more than normal wear and tear would do to it. I just can't seem to part from it. . . .

IWantAnAudiRS6
10-08-2006, 02:58 AM
I really want this car to last as long as it can last because it is my first car that I have bought with my own money. So it has a lot of sedimental value to it. Like the saying "Why fix it when it is not broken." Adding turbo seems really tempting since I can smoke people but to do so would slowly affect my engine more than normal wear and tear would do to it. I just can't seem to part from it. . . .
You can still smoke people with it... just not as many :D

One day you'll have the chance to do it again. I suggest you do. :)

h00t_h00t
10-08-2006, 04:18 PM
Most people's first car gets crashed soon after purchase, or in my case, it will be part-exed for an older, less reliable but still cheaper to run and more fun car.