PDA

View Full Version : Spied: Nissan Skyline GT-R

lightweight
10-09-2006, 04:13 PM
Spy photographers caught what appears to be a production prototype of the 2008 Nissan GT-R. The car was seen in testing at the Nürburgring this week in Germany.

The car is based on the highly popular Nissan GT-R concept, first unveiled in late 2005. Earlier this year, the Japanese automaker announced the GT-R would be badged as a Nissan, much to the disappointment of Infiniti dealers. Since unveiling the concept, Nissan has tried to limit the car's exposure to prevent tiring the public.

Pricing is expected somewhere around $70,000. When Nissan first previewed the concept, it said the show car was 80 to 90 percent representative of the final shape. Rumors have indicated the car will feature a 3.2 liter twin turbo V6 engine with 480 horsepower. It is scheduled to go on sale in Japan in Fall 2007, followed by the U.S. and Canada in Spring 2008.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/10/09/spied-2008-nissan-gt-r/

coolieman1220
10-09-2006, 04:31 PM
love at first sight

Viper007
10-09-2006, 04:36 PM
I am actually really excited about this one coming out, I finally see something I would love to get my hands on and modify modify modify the engine that is.

kingofthering
10-09-2006, 05:07 PM
well... so much for total secrecy..... :D
It's going to be badass when it comes out. Great. Then the next generation of ricers will embrace this and 6Speed will come back as MR.Skyline and get banned again like he did in the Skyline thread.

Birdman002
10-09-2006, 05:20 PM
omg i love it i hated the concept but this is badd ass

10-09-2006, 05:22 PM
it looks good
hope it's not 350Z/G35 clone
but I hope a 350Z turbo comes out with more power

magracer
10-09-2006, 05:37 PM
An this is in European cars because... :p ;)

I like it! It has a 350Z aura (the c pillar?) about it, that I hope they get rid off before production.

crisis
10-09-2006, 05:40 PM
It does appear to be similar to the 350Z in overall appearance and size. One would ask where is Toyota now that Nissan is building two rear wheel drive (possibly AWD) legitimate sports coupes?

NSXType-R
10-09-2006, 05:49 PM
I love the fact that it's changed so little since it was unveiled as a concept. Can't wait until it comes out.

Toyota and Honda are cooking up their versions of a sports car. Be patient and give them a couple more years. :p

fpv_gtho
10-09-2006, 05:51 PM
The 350Z links are no surprise, Nissan would be building this on the same platform as the 350Z/Skyline

Vindesh17
10-09-2006, 06:05 PM
This is one car I can't wait to see. Anyone know what series engine this is going to have? I mean like VQ and RB series.

Slicks
10-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Looks really good IMO.

fpv_gtho
10-09-2006, 06:10 PM
This is one car I can't wait to see. Anyone know what series engine this is going to have? I mean like VQ and RB series.

Probably the VQ. Everyone is talking about a 3-3.5L engine which falls inline with the VQ.

The_Canuck
10-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Looks like its going to be one heavy son of a bitch....

mehrshadvr4
10-09-2006, 06:53 PM
those muffler tips are big.

2ndclasscitizen
10-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Looks very cool. And as for the engine/tranny, have a look at the one in the Renault Nepta

ferrarifreak013
10-09-2006, 08:03 PM
does anyone want them to keep with the straight six? i think they have had a good history with it dn why change it? will it be awd or rwd?

2ndclasscitizen
10-09-2006, 09:51 PM
It will be AWD. And why change the engine? The RB26 is nearly 20 years old, and is a big, heavy iron block. The V6 will be lighter and they'll be able to put it furhter back in the chassis as it'll undoubtedly be shorter

KonaGreen
10-09-2006, 09:53 PM
WOW!!! That is sexy.

PerfAdv
10-09-2006, 11:22 PM
Looking Gooood!!! Can't wait for the big reveal. :)

capone
10-10-2006, 01:57 AM
I find it ugly just like the previous GT-Rs. It will probably have Porsche 911 performance but it just doen't do it for me. It will probably look better when the "masking covers" are not on. What I have seen in mags, they have copied the traditional Ferrari 4 tail lights or close to it.

fpv_gtho
10-10-2006, 02:37 AM
Yeah but how long have Skylines also had the quad tailights. Its one of their trademarks

Gtek-i
10-10-2006, 04:05 AM
That looks awesome! It's cleaner than the concept. But I'm guessing it weighs about 4000-4500 lb. I'm not saying it's gonna be slow though.

P4g4nite
10-10-2006, 05:06 AM

Probably the VQ. Everyone is talking about a 3-3.5L engine which falls inline with the VQ.
The RB series were all the inline 6 Nissan motors, the VQ are the new high tech, lighter and more compact V6 series. This skyline is most likely to be powered by an engine called the VQ32DETT.

That looks awesome! It's cleaner than the concept. But I'm guessing it weighs about 4000-4500 lb. I'm not saying it's gonna be slow though.
Current technology can lower the weight using composites and materials which are more economically viable now but also the market has been demandind more in the way of luxuries and equipment that drag up weight also.
The GTR will be a compromise between performance and meeting as large a market as possible.

Even the GT3 has air conditioning standard nowdays....

jorismo
10-10-2006, 05:20 AM
Looks like its going to be one heavy son of a bitch....

I'm afraid too... And if they don't look out it will be its biggest problem. Can't say much about the looks yet, have to wait for a pic without disguise...

fpv_gtho
10-10-2006, 05:44 AM
Well the 350Z is about 1550kg and the Infiniti G35 coupe/Skyline GT is about 1600kg. I'd guess that the GTR ends up being around 1650-1700kg.

jump15vc
10-10-2006, 11:59 AM
based on how much carbon fiber was on the concept i'd say it can't weigh more than 3400 lbs, and with 480hp it should have no problem going fast

RazaBlade
10-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Car looks goddamm gorgeous, 480bhp sounds like a very very very healthy dose of power! And I just love the industrial-sized quad pipes - whoever decided on that in Nissan is a legend!

I saw a very cool tuned Rx7 today, totally black, tinted windows and all, no spoiler, but a very bassy and loud exhaust, sends shivers down the spine sort. Look forward to a few more of those in new-skyline guise!!

McReis
10-10-2006, 12:53 PM
I am actually really excited about this one coming out, I finally see something I would love to get my hands on and modify modify modify the engine that is.
If you need to modify that much, the car must be a total crap.
Why do people immediately talk about modifying when they see a Skyline and they don't do the same when they see a Porsche 911? It's just bad taste or everyone thinks Skylines are made by Lego?

Viper007
10-10-2006, 01:04 PM
I would modify any car regardless if it was a skyline or a hummer. I personally seem to have a taste in taking modern day fast cars and making them faster. And as for you saying that I people as a whole just think modify that is not what I thought just for skylines. If you ever felt really bored and looked at my past posts I usually always right after a car that has potential is debuted say this tuner plans on doing this or that tuner has already done that to the car with such improvement. I would modify pretty much any decently fast car....not your cup of tea, well its mine. PS I AM FAR FAR FAR FAR FROM A SKYLINE LOVER/MODIFIER, in fact I hated them for a long time. In addition I wouldnt modify the looks only performance modifications, I would keep the body stock to keep a sleeper aspect of it. I believe you jumped the gun to criticize me that fast.

McReis
10-10-2006, 01:16 PM
I believe you jumped the gun to criticize me that fast.
I didn't criticize. I was bored. And yes, I was generalizing. :D
However I can't see the enthusiasm about a car that needs to be bettered to meat your expectations. I love cars wich I think are fine. Not cars that I think must bettered. Tuning is great for those who don't have the chance to dream with "the real thing".

I personally seem to have a taste in taking modern day fast cars and making them faster.
Sorry but I had never realised that. You use to do that? What cars have you modified?

clutch-monkey
10-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Why do people immediately talk about modifying when they see a Skyline and they don't do the same when they see a Porsche 911? It's just bad taste or everyone thinks Skylines are made by Lego?
well, in the past it mainly was because the skyline was limited to 280hp and could make much more quite easily. It appears this one is coming out with quite a lot of power so imo people wouldn't have to tune it like the last one.

NSXType-R
10-10-2006, 01:55 PM
I'm afraid too... And if they don't look out it will be its biggest problem. Can't say much about the looks yet, have to wait for a pic without disguise...

Until you actually put it on a scale, you can't say that yet. :p How come you guys don't think the Porsche 911 Turbo is heavy?

Viper007
10-10-2006, 03:40 PM
Not actually modified any just always been my taste dont really have sufficient funding! One day though I will hopefully get my hands on something worth putting a couple of hair dryers on! Sorry if it seemed like I was attacking you, no hard feelings.

2ndclasscitizen
10-10-2006, 05:16 PM
Well the 350Z is about 1550kg and the Infiniti G35 coupe/Skyline GT is about 1600kg. I'd guess that the GTR ends up being around 1650-1700kg.350Z = 1485kg

crisis
10-10-2006, 05:32 PM
Why do people immediately talk about modifying when they see a Skyline and they don't do the same when they see a Porsche 911?.....
I love cars wich I think are fine. Not cars that I think must bettered. Tuning is great for those who don't have the chance to dream with "the real thing".

http://www.autocult.com.au/img/gallery/997GT3422.jpg

mehrshadvr4
10-10-2006, 07:12 PM

i am not sure if i am correct,but it's becouse people see alot of highly modifyed skylines than the stock one.that's why most people love them and they don't know that car has $100k+ in it to be that fast.

fpv_gtho
10-10-2006, 10:17 PM
350Z = 1485kg

Pretty sure thats tare weight. When i went looking on Nissan Oz's site, they had a figure like that but it was tare weight, so i had to go looking on some US sites for the kerb weight.

PerfAdv
10-10-2006, 10:34 PM
i am not sure if i am correct,but it's becouse people see alot of highly modifyed skylines than the stock one.that's why most people love them and they don't know that car has $100k+ in it to be that fast.
Partly correct. To be fair to the Skyline, it's engineered well enough to take a $100K worth of modification. Try tripling the horsepower in most cars and they will fall apart. The fact that a Skyline can handle enormous amounts of power is testament to just how over-engineered it is.

Personally, I wouldn't modify a car to have too much more than 25% of the power it came with from the factory. Silly levels of modification point to some kind of complex imo.:D

McReis
10-11-2006, 02:44 AM
Sorry if it seemed like I was attacking you, no hard feelings.
It didn't seem like that, and I was aonly teasing you guys for some healthy discussion.
In fact the 286bhp or so, were very low for such a complex car. But by tunning it, people were just making the car was it was meant to be in the first place. The engine was only a base for what could be done. And however I understand the pleasure of doing something to our car to make it meat our expectations, i can't help thinking that I would prefer a car that came from factory like I want it: agile enough, powerful enough, sharp enough. Because no matter how good the skills of a tuner are, they can never reach the level of scientific intervention of the factory experts IMHO.

clutch-monkey
10-11-2006, 02:48 AM
Because no matter how good the skills of a tuner are, they can never reach the level of scientific intervention of the factory experts IMHO.
but sometimes factory experts have to make compromises to meet emissions/noise regulations and budgets, and some people like their car to be better than others like it, or more personalised. Also a car made for a market might not be quite specific enough for an owner willing to trade ride comfort for handling etc etc

McReis
10-11-2006, 04:35 AM
but sometimes factory experts have to make compromises to meet emissions/noise regulations and budgets, and some people like their car to be better than others like it, or more personalised. Also a car made for a market might not be quite specific enough for an owner willing to trade ride comfort for handling etc etc
I don't want to brake much emission/noise regulations either.
When it comes to sportscars, sometimes tuners trade comfort for even worst handling. That's not rare to see people stiffen and lower theirs cars and, in the end, their corner no better than with standard settings. The same goes with engine tuning too, sometimes.

whiteballz
10-11-2006, 04:56 AM
commonplace on RX-7's around the world is a turbo/intake/exhaust change that kills fuel economy, but gives the RX a much deeper whine..

that is an example of what levels people in todays world are willing to go to have a car customised to suit them.

fpv_gtho
10-11-2006, 04:58 AM
Well its a given that unless youre increasing the efficiency of the engine then youre going to chew through more fuel by increasing power. Rotaries benefit greatly from porting and such so changes to how the engine breathes which have bad economy effects arent too much of a surprise.

Ingolstadt
10-11-2006, 06:20 AM
....... some how i miss the ricy looks of 90's Jap bad boys. I have to admit i hated Too Fast Too Furious TOO MUCH because of the damage it done to Jap racers, but hey, somehow it boost up the repo of Jap racers in US (albeit kinda ricey way)

I'm still in love with the early 90s with a fleet of RX7s, Evo3s, Skyline R32, Supra, 300ZX Fairlady.... those were the days.

Now every damn product from Jap was trying wayyy too hard to look like the next Euro sports car however IMO they really failed bringing out the heritage that made them so famous.

fpv_gtho
10-11-2006, 07:38 AM
Well early 90's they werent as wrapped up in the power war as they were in the late 90's. Then it was at the stage where Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Subaru etc truly were lying about their cars putting out 206kw.

People say the best cars are made when the company is under the strongest competition, but i guess when a company is also simply making a car for the market and not trying to outdo someone, they come up with some good ones as well.

Ingolstadt
10-11-2006, 11:36 AM
The thing with 90s is that since Skyline R32 smoked a couple of porsches in races, and with other major competitors requesting R32 to carry weight penalties before any race for the following season... Japs realized they actually could beat Euro racers; hence 90s is the era where all major Jap makes race each other to produce something that resembles them strongly, hence getting the recognition they purely lacked that period. They made it, eventually, Lexus topping the charts of quality surveys, users in UCP asking Suzuki or Volkswagen; meaning R32 had brought Jap makes to a whole new era. Hence dubbed "God of War" in Jap.

(Expect something like that to happen in Chinese cars in a couple years ??!? lol ~~ )

kigango123
10-11-2006, 12:22 PM
well... so much for total secrecy..... :D
It's going to be badass when it comes out. Great. Then the next generation of ricers will embrace this and 6Speed will come back as MR.Skyline and get banned again like he did in the Skyline thread.

i already hate it and i am supposed to be a ricer, i could have bought a z and gotten a better deal. goodbye to the GT-R legacy

kingofthering
10-11-2006, 12:30 PM
i already hate it and i am supposed to be a ricer, i could have bought a z and gotten a better deal. goodbye to the GT-R legacy
right, but does the Z have AWD and 480(rumored) HP?

Tomodachi
10-11-2006, 01:07 PM

Actually Car&Driver and MotorTrend both said it was rumored around 500bhp and something like 550 of tourqe. I havent heard anything under 500. Also i hear cosworth is working with nissan to get all they can out of the VQ. In the end they are just rumores so who knows.

kigango123
10-11-2006, 01:38 PM

but the z is not a heavy bastard, and if i wanted 480 hp from a Z i could have gotten it easily. not to mention more cost effectively. since Vq35 is also the same motor in the Z.

i prefer the older rb26 turbo motor to be truthful since with 2.6 liters it made a stock figure of 320 hp, this motor with a twin (turbo)3.5 liters makes a total of 480hp. weak, totaly weak

Mr.Tiv
10-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Did you just call 480bhp weak? It's not astounding but is certainly respectable.

kigango123
10-11-2006, 01:59 PM
Did you just call 480bhp weak? It's not astounding but is certainly respectable.

all i am saying is 480 horses from 3.5 liter motor is not really amazing, the previous GT-R motor perfomed more of a miracle compared to this engine. and that was like 10 years before this one.

NSXType-R
10-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Do any of you guys think the new Skyline will still have that same overengineered engine/chassis as its predecessors?

Mr.Tiv
10-11-2006, 02:34 PM
all i am saying is 480 horses from 3.5 liter motor is not really amazing, the previous GT-R motor perfomed more of a miracle compared to this engine. and that was like 10 years before this one.
I can't speak on the previous engine, I don't knoe the stats. I will say that, 480 Horses out of 3.5L engine is more than enough. It is more than respectable, and I see nothing wrong with it-after all, the car has to maintain usability.

h00t_h00t
10-11-2006, 03:54 PM
480 is alot for a 3.5, Mercedes, BMW and GM all have V8s that are around 5.5 to 6 litres and none of them can make even 400hp.

I don't think the GT-R and the 350z will be able to survive side by side, they have the same low slung coupe styling and both will be very fast and a lot of fun so the 350z may end up with a "skyline for povs" reputation similar to the one the Porsche Boxter got to begin with or the skyline could be seen as overpriced when you can get a car with just as much kit for alot less.

Slicks
10-11-2006, 05:10 PM
jesus christ! Who cares about hp/l???? The fact of the matter is the car is making MUCH more power than before, and now the engine is probably under less strain, and makes a decent torque curve.

Slicks
10-11-2006, 05:12 PM
480 is alot for a 3.5, Mercedes, BMW and GM all have V8s that are around 5.5 to 6 litres and none of them can make even 400hp.

Any more ignorance like this and im flipping the switch, i swear.

Mr.Tiv
10-11-2006, 05:54 PM
Yum, kitten juice.

Coventrysucks
10-11-2006, 05:55 PM
this motor with a twin 3.5 liters makes a total of 480hp.

7-litres?

all i am saying is 480 horses from 3.5 liter motor is not really amazing,

I'm sorry, you were expecting 4800bhp or something?

You may wish to take notice of the fact that the 3.6-litre Porsche 911 Turbo has 480bhp, AWD, and weighs close to 1700kg and is still, so I hear, quite fast.

What is "ignorant" about pointing out that many companies have engines over 3.5-litres in capacity that produce less than 480bhp?

That is what we scientists call a "fact".

DesmoRob
10-11-2006, 06:19 PM
I don't like that roof. I think they could've done a better job of it. It just looks clumsy IMO.

fpv_gtho
10-12-2006, 02:12 AM

Jesus i dont know which cloud youve got your head in, but the VQ35 making 480hp is a bigger achievement than the RB26 making 320hp.

McReis
10-12-2006, 02:37 AM
I don't think the GT-R and the 350z will be able to survive side by side, they have the same low slung coupe styling and both will be very fast and a lot of fun so the 350z may end up with a "skyline for povs" reputation similar to the one the Porsche Boxter got to begin with or the skyline could be seen as overpriced when you can get a car with just as much kit for alot less.
That's absolutely absurd. The 350Z is a completely different car in concept. It's a n/a RWD for a start and it has completely different drive. It's cheaper because it's less complex. It doesn't mean worst or less fun.
And by saying the Porsche Boxster is the poor man's 911, is ignorance. It's a car with a totally different layout and a very efficient car on it's own. Maybe that's why a Boxster S is faster round a track than a 997 Carrera 2

Quiggs
10-13-2006, 08:49 AM
Turnaround CEO Carlos Ghosn pins his hopes on an $85,000 revamped classic.

By Kevin Kelleher, Business 2.0 Magazine
October 13 2006: 8:03 AM EDT

(Business 2.0 Magazine) -- Nissan has long lagged Toyota in sales. But in the world of high-performance racing cars, Japan's second-largest automaker leaves its rival in the dust.

That's thanks to the Skyline GT-R, which has been the hot rod of choice in Japan, with nearly 70,000 sold since 1990. In the United States, the car gained an underground following: Paul Walker drove one in the film 2 Fast 2 Furious, and 100 or so have been imported and adapted to meet U.S. safety standards during the past decade.

Now, Nissan is preparing a new-generation GT-R, to be sold in the United States in 2008.

CEO Carlos Ghosn, who's spent the past five years turning Nissan around, is hoping the GT-R will burnish his company's reputation for performance in the States, just as the 1990s version put Nissan on par with Ferrari and Porsche back home.

The rollout will start small, with word-of-mouth marketing and a few thousand cars, which people close to the company say will cost about $85,000.

A prototype unveiled at the Tokyo Motor Show in 2005 sported a sleek, aerodynamic design; the finished product is expected to preserve many of the car's legendary characteristics, like four-wheel drive and a customizable chassis.

Will its cult following make it a Stateside hit?
They're out of their effing minds. http://images.zeroforum.com/smile/emthdown.gif

Slicks
10-13-2006, 08:58 AM
What is "ignorant" about pointing out that many companies have engines over 3.5-litres in capacity that produce less than 480bhp?

That is what we scientists call a "fact".
Once again, learn to read in context:

"480 is alot for a 3.5, Mercedes, BMW and GM all have V8s that are around 5.5 to 6 litres and none of them can make even 400hp."

None of them CHOOSE to make over 400hp. Its not about peak power, its about the power under the curve.

Coventrysucks
10-13-2006, 09:37 AM
They're out of their effing minds.

No they aren't, because they know people will pay that much for them.

Once again, learn to read in context

So, basically, you are calling him ignorant because of a poor choice of phrase, and insulting me because I'm asking why you're calling someone "ignorant" for no substantial reason?

Slicks
10-13-2006, 12:09 PM
So, basically, you are calling him ignorant because of a poor choice of phrase,

I doubt it was just a poor choice of phrase...

and insulting me because I'm asking why you're calling someone "ignorant" for no substantial reason?
That was the 2nd time you quoted me without reading what I was replying to, its getting annoying.

kingofthering
10-13-2006, 12:19 PM
They're out of their effing minds.
no, the black market R34s were more expensive.

Coventrysucks
10-13-2006, 12:39 PM
its getting annoying.

Unlike your permenantly offensive attitude against any/all who dare not to share your opinions?

Slicks
10-13-2006, 01:21 PM
Unlike your permenantly offensive attitude against any/all who dare not to share your opinions?
Please give an example.

Quiggs
10-13-2006, 01:24 PM
Inbeforethisgetsreallyugly.

Rockefella
10-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Inbeforethisgetsreallyugly.
PostCountBoosterAndQuotedForTruth.

Coventrysucks
10-13-2006, 02:20 PM
Please give an example.

Aside from calling someone "ignorant" for erroneously using the word "can't" instead of "don't"?

Or calling someone "ignorant" for saying they'd prefer to have a European car over an American one?

Even if someone is being ignorant, there are better ways to respond which aren't so curt, dismissive or disparaging.

Slicks
10-13-2006, 02:42 PM
Aside from calling someone "ignorant" for erroneously using the word "can't" instead of "don't"?
Do you know he meant "cant" instead of "dont"?

Or calling someone "ignorant" for saying they'd prefer to have a European car over an American one?

Show me where I called someone ignorant for simply wanting car x over car y.

Even if someone is being ignorant, there are better ways to respond which aren't so curt, dismissive or disparaging.
Sometimes I try and respond a little nicer, but it gets old when in one thread I explain a bunch of things to someone, then a thread later comes up with the same ignorance.

IWantAnAudiRS6
10-13-2006, 02:45 PM
Show me where I called someone ignorant for simply wanting car x over car y.

OK...

*shoots himself in the face...*
Ignorance really is bliss eh?
Do your self a favor and research some things before you make comments like these.

Sorry, son :rolleyes:

Just because we like Euro...

fpv_gtho
10-13-2006, 03:00 PM
They're out of their effing minds. http://images.zeroforum.com/smile/emthdown.gif

If theyre really aiming for 911's they shouldnt have a problem. People will just have to realise what theyre getting for double the price over a C6 or GT500.

Quiggs
10-13-2006, 03:13 PM
If theyre really aiming for 911's they shouldnt have a problem. People will just have to realise what theyre getting for double the price over a C6 or GT500.
But in the American market, brand name is everything- from soda, to shoes, to cars. Sure, that pair of $20 WalMart shoes may work just as well as the $80 Nike's but which one has better street cred?

Same goes here. I really don't see how the people who are in the market for $60,000+ sports cars (the 40+ male making well into 6 figures) is going to want this. Because at the end of the day, it's still a Nissan. The people who know the heritage of the Skyline name are mostly the true enthusiasts- most of which would rather have the Porsche or Vette anyway- and GT/FnF kids- who can't afford to pay off their 95 Civic.

If they sold it through their Infiniti dealer network, it may have a shot. But I don't see it happening.

NSXType-R
10-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Nissan made a good name for themselves with the 350Z. It has a good reputation and with a decent advertising scheme I'm sure it'll do fine.

IWantAnAudiRS6
10-13-2006, 03:41 PM
Nissan made a good name for themselves with the 350Z. It has a good reputation and with a decent advertising scheme I'm sure it'll do fine.
... They've had a good name in the States since the earlier Datsuns- 240Z, right the way through to the 280Z, then the Nissan 300ZX (1990's one) was met to large acclaim- the Fairlady convertible was a Pace Car for the Indy 500 at one point.

Then came the Skyline, and the 200SX... how long have you got?!

Slicks
10-13-2006, 04:10 PM
OK...

Sorry, son :rolleyes:

Just because we like Euro...
Reading out of context are we?
Take a look at the facts, the LSx engines are LIGHTER, and SMALLER. Im not calling him ignorant because he likes Audi V8s (I love them, they're great) Im calling him ignorant because of his comment that he likes "light V8s" yet he names off Audis heavy V8s :rolleyes:

IWantAnAudiRS6
10-13-2006, 04:15 PM
Reading out of context are we?
Take a look at the facts, the LSx engines are LIGHTER, and SMALLER. Im not calling him ignorant because he likes Audi V8s (I love them, they're great) Im calling him ignorant because of his comment that he likes "light V8s" yet he names off Audis heavy V8s :rolleyes:
Not at all. You wanted an example, I gave you one. You'd work great in the Bush administration.

Er... the 4.2 FSI V8 is very light indeed.

As is the 4.2 Biturbo fitted to the RS6, IIRC.

Aren't most of the Yank offerings cast-iron blocks? The Viper is aluminium... but...

Slicks
10-13-2006, 04:28 PM
Not at all. You wanted an example, I gave you one. You'd work great in the Bush administration.

Er... the 4.2 FSI V8 is very light indeed.

As is the 4.2 Biturbo fitted to the RS6, IIRC.

Aren't most of the Yank offerings cast-iron blocks? The Viper is aluminium... but...
:rolleyes:
Read my post in the GT500 vs C6 thread.
I take it back though, I didnt mean to say the Audi V8s were heavy, just heavier than the lsx engines.
LSx engines are al. The mustang GTs block is al, but the GT500s is iron (forced induction friendly).

2ndclasscitizen
10-13-2006, 11:49 PM
But in the American market, brand name is everything- from soda, to shoes, to cars. Sure, that pair of $20 WalMart shoes may work just as well as the $80 Nike's but which one has better street cred?

Same goes here. I really don't see how the people who are in the market for $60,000+ sports cars (the 40+ male making well into 6 figures) is going to want this. Because at the end of the day, it's still a Nissan. The people who know the heritage of the Skyline name are mostly the true enthusiasts- most of which would rather have the Porsche or Vette anyway- and GT/FnF kids- who can't afford to pay off their 95 Civic.

If they sold it through their Infiniti dealer network, it may have a shot. But I don't see it happening.
There's been rummours Down Under that the GTR will be the flagship for Infiniti's return into Australia

NSXType-R
10-14-2006, 10:27 AM
... They've had a good name in the States since the earlier Datsuns- 240Z, right the way through to the 280Z, then the Nissan 300ZX (1990's one) was met to large acclaim- the Fairlady convertible was a Pace Car for the Indy 500 at one point.

Then came the Skyline, and the 200SX... how long have you got?!

You get my point...:p

I sorta meant it as in recently.

mehrshadvr4
10-15-2006, 10:40 PM
Partly correct. To be fair to the Skyline, it's engineered well enough to take a $100K worth of modification. Try tripling the horsepower in most cars and they will fall apart. The fact that a Skyline can handle enormous amounts of power is testament to just how over-engineered it is.

Personally, I wouldn't modify a car to have too much more than 25% of the power it came with from the factory. Silly levels of modification point to some kind of complex imo.:D

lol.they didn't engineered to handle power.there is planty of after market parts for that car to make that much power.you can do it on any car with having enough after market parts.

fpv_gtho
10-15-2006, 10:43 PM
Theres a big difference though between being able to stick $10K into a car and getting 600hp, and needing $30K to get the same from another car because youve had to replace the gearbox, diff, engine internals etc.

McReis
10-16-2006, 03:05 AM
Im calling him ignorant because of his comment that he likes "light V8s" yet he names off Audis heavy V8s :rolleyes:
You've called him ignorant anyway, and that's is way beyond what you are allowed to do.

charged
10-16-2006, 03:39 AM
Read my post in the GT500 vs C6 thread.
I take it back though, I didnt mean to say the Audi V8s were heavy, just heavier than the lsx engines.
LSx engines are al. The mustang GTs block is al, but the GT500s is iron (forced induction friendly).

The ls1 or 2 take to FI very well, you would need 30psi to start cracking blocks, or better go the lexus v8 they can crank out well over 1000hp on standard bottom ends:p

mehrshadvr4
10-17-2006, 03:06 PM
Theres a big difference though between being able to stick $10K into a car and getting 600hp, and needing $30K to get the same from another car because youve had to replace the gearbox, diff, engine internals etc.

you can make a civic to makes that much power with less money than that.

h00t_h00t
10-17-2006, 03:36 PM
Prove it, go and find some prices from legitimate performance parts websites, because a small supercharger that is advertised to fit a civic will cost $2-4000 depending on where you buy it.

deadkennedys180
10-17-2006, 04:21 PM
yeah i agree it does resemble the 350z and its bad A

Tomodachi
10-17-2006, 04:39 PM
Its a orgasm for they eyes.... Multimaple orgasms for the eyes....

fpv_gtho
10-17-2006, 09:02 PM

IM SPEAKING FIGURATIVELY

Blue Supra
10-17-2006, 09:54 PM
ill take one in black please.

with the optional in cabin boost controller.

if theyre shooting for 100k+AUD then sales in aus wont be great. not many people buy cars that expensive let alone a nissan. I own a nissan and love it and in maybe 5 years ill buy one of these.

fpv_gtho
10-17-2006, 10:08 PM
ill take one in black please.

with the optional in cabin boost controller.

if theyre shooting for 100k+AUD then sales in aus wont be great. not many people buy cars that expensive let alone a nissan. I own a nissan and love it and in maybe 5 years ill buy one of these.

For $100K i dont think being a Nissan will be a problem. People pay $100K for HSV's and IMO thats more of a psychological hurdle than this would be.

adrenaline
10-17-2006, 10:52 PM
The Honda Legend is like 70k here...WTF. I thought it was a 20k cheapy.

fpv_gtho
10-17-2006, 11:00 PM
Nah man, the Legend's always been some sort of luxury car here. Theyve got the Civic and Accord for the lower end of the market.

McReis
10-18-2006, 02:35 AM
In the end it would still be a Civic with a Civic chassis.

Ingolstadt
10-18-2006, 08:09 AM
Genrating 280hp, and spend loads of effort in making them as quick as possible is what Jap racers attract people. They have to work theire way around, rather than adding horses and displacement.

V12s are good, so were W16s, it'll never end. Seriously, I'm turned down by the 480hp horses.

2ndclasscitizen
10-18-2006, 06:31 PM
if theyre shooting for 100k+AUD then sales in aus wont be great. not many people buy cars that expensive let alone a nissan.
The huge amount of M3s and Boxsters I see around would disagree with that, and while the Nissan badge may not give it the cred of those 2, the GTR badge certainly does.

If Nissan can get it here for ~$100k-120k, they'll sell plenty

Slicks
10-18-2006, 06:43 PM
Genrating 280hp, and spend loads of effort in making them as quick as possible is what Jap racers attract people. They have to work theire way around, rather than adding horses and displacement.

V12s are good, so were W16s, it'll never end. Seriously, I'm turned down by the 480hp horses.
Most of the "280hp" cars were really making over 300, but rated at 280...

NSXType-R
10-18-2006, 07:39 PM
The Honda Legend is like 70k here...WTF. I thought it was a 20k cheapy.

Believe it or not, the TL is supposed to compete with the BMW 3 series. So, the Legend is supposed to compete with the 5 series. Thus the price.

mehrshadvr4
10-18-2006, 08:41 PM
In the end it would still be a Civic with a Civic chassis.

that's why i don't have civic.:D ;)

IWantAnAudiRS6
10-19-2006, 03:00 AM
Most of the "280hp" cars were really making over 300, but rated at 280...
Correct.

The official output of some cars is vastly underrated- some special edition Skylines made well in excess of 350bhp. Just that they were meant to quote 276bhp... keep the eco-weenies happy.

McReis
10-19-2006, 03:12 AM
Correct.

The official output of some cars is vastly underrated- some special edition Skylines made well in excess of 350bhp. Just that they were meant to quote 276bhp... keep the eco-weenies happy.
Theres nothing wrong with being ecological (your kids will be thankfull if they have some air to breed and some petrol to spare). And I think declaring lower outputs has, most of the time, more to do with taxes than anything else.
Power has nothing to do with ecology. Fuel-efficiency does.

IWantAnAudiRS6
10-19-2006, 03:25 AM
Theres nothing wrong with being ecological (your kids will be thankfull if they have some air to breed and some petrol to spare). And I think declaring lower outputs has, most of the time, more to do with taxes than anything else.
Power has nothing to do with ecology. Fuel-efficiency does.
I have kids??

Shit...

Oh well, sod them. If it means I get to enjoy myself doing what I love- driving fast, playing with a band on stage, reading the newspaper and using the Internet. Who said I'm going to have kids anyway?

McReis
10-19-2006, 03:29 AM
I have kids??

Shit...

Oh well, sod them. If it means I get to enjoy myself doing what I love- driving fast, playing with a band on stage, reading the newspaper and using the Internet. Who said I'm going to have kids anyway?
On a second thought, you better not.

IWantAnAudiRS6
10-19-2006, 03:41 AM
On a second thought, you better not.
The last thing the world needs a smaller version of me. I don't think I'd want to have a kid who couldn't enjoy the thrill of pushing a straight-six to the limit, or play a Fender Strat through a Marshall stack trying to sound like Jimi. What's the point?

McReis
10-19-2006, 03:54 AM
The last thing the world needs a smaller version of me.
You know better than me! :D

I don't think I'd want to have a kid who couldn't enjoy the thrill of pushing a straight-six to the limit, or play a Fender Strat through a Marshall stack trying to sound like Jimi. What's the point?
Sounds like poetic BS. :rolleyes:

play a Fender Strat through a Marshall stack trying to sound like Jimi. What's the point?
Trying to sound like Jimmy can be very bad. Either you sound like it or you better not try. :D

IWantAnAudiRS6
10-19-2006, 04:17 AM
You know better than me! :D

Sounds like poetic BS. :rolleyes:

Trying to sound like Jimmy can be very bad. Either you sound like it or you better not try. :D
Bloody right I do. I'm the most offensive person I know.

It's not poetic BS, it's the stuff that makes me and a lot of friends tick. Are you telling me that you don't enjoy thrashing your car every now and then? Pfft!

I sound better than Jimi. End. :p

P4g4nite
11-22-2006, 08:17 PM
Just to sustain the hype a little longer..

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/nissan/nissan-gt-r-ar8651.html

Includes a Vid of the undisguised car and speculationj about it's spec.
I am interested to learn the eventual spec because, years ago when they were announcing a new GTR one of the things I remember is that they stated they were waiting so long to produce the new vehicle because they felt a GTR should have radical high tech separating it from the rest and they had to wait for it to be available.

Repost can bite my arse, I'm not going through a bunch of old skyline threads "shudder".

N15M0
12-07-2006, 06:06 PM
yea 350z /gtr look similar...nissan has done that before.../ 240sx S-14/ 95-96 with the skyline r32 very similar... i wonder what it sounds like... 350z ? ..damn. how would it sound like in the cockpit when your just ripping through the gears... like music.... if they make this car AWD...its over ....porsche eater/corvette eater...

The_Canuck
12-07-2006, 06:33 PM
....porsche eater/corvette eater...
That is wishfull thinking...

Viper007
12-07-2006, 06:48 PM
Corvette/Porsche Eater I doubt it. It's going to be more anyway isnt it by a bit?

TVR IS KING
12-13-2006, 04:44 PM
http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/1432/
...We have us a badge people. Its new and innovative as well...

STREETFIRE
12-13-2006, 05:45 PM
I think it's gonna eat some Porsches for breakfast... but not all of them.
The R35 GTR sure is a great piece of work.

Kitdy
12-13-2006, 08:09 PM
It looks sweet. This is one of the first Asian performance cars that really, really, looks awesome. I like the cuts down the side of the hood. Reinds me of another gorgeous car, the Volvo S40.

STREETFIRE
12-14-2006, 02:02 AM
You are sooooo right. :D

P4g4nite
12-14-2006, 04:57 AM
yea 350z /gtr look similar...nissan has done that before.../ 240sx S-14/ 95-96 with the skyline r32 very similar... i wonder what it sounds like... 350z ? ..damn. how would it sound like in the cockpit when your just ripping through the gears... like music.... if they make this car AWD...its over ....porsche eater/corvette eater...
Learn to write in sentence form.

That is wishfull thinking...
I don't see why, it's not going to be slow.

monaroCountry
12-14-2006, 02:43 PM

Yeah right, many of the bombed out GTR's running on the streets today would have less than the factory figure. This under rating of GTR power output by 100 or so hp is the same as the myth that stock skylines made a sub 8 minute lap around the ring.

Ferrer
12-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Yeah right, many of the bombed out GTR's running on the streets today would have less than the factory figure. This under rating of GTR power output by 100 or so hp is the same as the myth that stock skylines made a sub 8 minute lap around the ring.
It's not a myth. IIRC the R33 was one of the first production cars to ever lap the Nürburgring Nordschleife in under 8 minutes (the exact time was 7:56 I think).

kingofthering
12-14-2006, 05:57 PM
The R34 did it in 7:54.