PDA

View Full Version : Going for a ride in an Audi S8!

jorismo
10-10-2006, 05:31 AM
Ow yeah!... A friend of me was invited by the local Audi dealer to test drive either the Audi S4, S6, A6 Allroad, Q7 or S8. He signed in for the S8 and this friday the car is ours for 1 hour :D

We are going to have a ride in the S8 5.2fsi pro line Quattro with 450 bhp. I'm really excited about this one and of course I will take my camera with me :)

Gtek-i
10-10-2006, 05:41 AM
have fun:)

IWantAnAudiRS6
10-10-2006, 06:13 AM
Freakin' sweet :D

Get some good pictures... and I'm interested to hear how it sounds... maybe some videos? :)

Lovely car, though. Even if it has suspension from a rock.

jorismo
10-10-2006, 06:14 AM
Freakin' sweet :D

Get some good pictures... and I'm interested to hear how it sounds... maybe some videos? :)

Lovely car, though. Even if it has suspension from a rock.

I'll see what I can do... I can only make vids with my phone and those can't be attached here. If you catch me on MSN I'm happy to send them to you...

IWantAnAudiRS6
10-10-2006, 06:20 AM
I'll see what I can do... I can only make vids with my phone and those can't be attached here. If you catch me on MSN I'm happy to send them to you...
This place hosts videos :D (http://www.youtube.com)

I have far too many people on MSN already :( I'm trying to delete some of you ****ers :p

Vaigra
10-10-2006, 06:24 AM
This place hosts videos :D (http://www.youtube.com)

I have far too many people on MSN already :( I'm trying to delete some of you ****ers :pYou're not even online! :rolleyes:

jorismo
10-10-2006, 06:27 AM
You're not even online! :rolleyes:

That's even worse... He's going to delete everyone who is never online whilst never being online himself :p

IWantAnAudiRS6
10-10-2006, 06:27 AM
*giggles* You are the weakest link... goodbye!! :p

LotusLocost
10-10-2006, 06:28 AM

Take the hint??

Vaigra
10-10-2006, 06:38 AM
Take the hint??bye bye...
B & D...

;)

McReis
10-10-2006, 07:26 AM
S8? Sounds boring even with 450bhp.

jorismo
10-10-2006, 07:38 AM

What's boring about it? I think the S8 is a great car and I think everybody at this site would like to have a ride in it? or do you drive 150.000 euro cars everyday?

Piacki_117
10-10-2006, 07:50 AM
of course I will take my camera with me :)
Cool! I'm looking forward to seeing the photos! :)

Sure, I wouldn't buy a one even if I has the money, but having a ride in a V10 engined sedan is still a good thing.

McReis
10-10-2006, 08:07 AM
What's boring about it? I think the S8 is a great car and I think everybody at this site would like to have a ride in it? or do you drive 150.000 euro cars everyday?
Take less coffee, please.
150.000 or 450bhp are numbers that mean nothing to me. Expensive cars aren't always good or fun, and 450bhp on a heavy car can be less exciting than 150 in a Clio.
Fat cars are not my type.

jorismo
10-10-2006, 08:10 AM
Take less coffee, please.
150.000 or 450bhp are numbers that mean nothing to me. Expensive cars aren't always good or fun, and 450bhp on a heavy car can be less exciting than 150 in a Clio.
Fat cars are not my type.

Actually I don't drink coffee at all... But I see your point and I respect it. I didn't mean to be rude or anything and if I was, then I'm sorry about that.

I know the engine isn't that good for such a big car but I'm just thrilled do get a ride in it and experience (especially) the sound of it. I hope I can convince my friend to drive to some empty parking to let me get a drive in it, after all it has tiptronice so I shouldn't be that hard :p

Viper007
10-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Ow yeah!... A friend of me was invited by the local Audi dealer to test drive either the Audi S4, S6, A6 Allroad, Q7 or S8. He signed in for the S8 and this friday the car is ours for 1 hour :D

We are going to have a ride in the S8 5.2fsi pro line Quattro with 450 bhp. I'm really excited about this one and of course I will take my camera with me :)

Jorismo for president after just one line of campaigning he wins my vote.

McReis
10-10-2006, 01:19 PM
Jorismo for president after just one line of campaigning he wins my vote.
That's the usual: politics being moved by personal interests! :D

IWantAnAudiRS6
10-10-2006, 03:43 PM
<someone> for president after just one line of campaigning he wins my vote.
What most of America said when George Bush said, "I'm proud to be American", no doubt :D

NSXType-R
10-10-2006, 04:23 PM
I actually would prefer the Audi uber-sedan than the Mercedes or BMW. If anything, I'd get the RS4 because it offers stick, but I find that the Audi is all I'll ever need in an uber-sedan comparo between the S 63 (65?) AMG, 760Li and the S8. Will the RS6 have a stick also?

Have a nice ride!

The_Canuck
10-10-2006, 04:26 PM
I actually would prefer the Audi uber-sedan than the Mercedes or BMW. If anything, I'd get the RS4 because it offers stick, but I find that the Audi is all I'll ever need in an uber-sedan comparo between the S 63 (65?) AMG, 760Li and the S8. Will the RS6 have a stick also?

Have a nice ride!
Umm why not M5? 760 is boring...

NSXType-R
10-10-2006, 07:34 PM
The M5 is too small and it's not in the same class. If you were comparing the M5's classes, it would be the E55 AMG and the RS4.

Believe me, I thought about it. :D

McReis
10-11-2006, 02:52 AM
The M5 is too small and it's not in the same class. If you were comparing the M5's classes, it would be the E55 AMG and the RS4.

Believe me, I thought about it. :D
You thought but you also need to read about the issue. ;)
Audi set the M3 as direct opponent of the RS4. They belong to the same market. The M5 or the E55 are far away in terms of concept.
I do agree the S8 is not a M5 competitor. That would be the RS6.
However both RS6 and RS4 fail to meet their Bavarian rivals level of excitment due to the Quattro system. I understand it's Audi's trademark, but understeer is never as exciting as a pointy front end and a certain amount of throttle steer (here come the Audi fans to beat me up). :D

jorismo
10-11-2006, 03:13 AM
You thought but you also need to read about the issue. ;)
Audi set the M3 as direct opponent of the RS4. They belong to the same market. The M5 or the E55 are far away in terms of concept.
I do agree the S8 is not a M5 competitor. That would be the RS6.
However both RS6 and RS4 fail to meet their Bavarian rivals level of excitment due to the Quattro system. I understand it's Audi's trademark, but understeer is never as exciting as a pointy front end and a certain amount of throttle steer (here come the Audi fans to beat me up). :D

No no, I think you are completely right. I would chose a M5 above a RS6 anytime. The Quattro system leads to the fail of excitement in the Audi. I mean it would kick ass to have an oversteered RS6/ RS4...

BTW Viper, now I know how Bush got the power in the US. One good line and they all love you... :D

McReis
10-11-2006, 04:36 AM
No no, I think you are completely right. I would chose a M5 above a RS6 anytime. The Quattro system leads to the fail of excitement in the Audi. I mean it would kick ass to have an oversteered RS6/ RS4...
I totally agree. Specially because the RS4 engine is a masterpiece.

clutch-monkey
10-11-2006, 04:37 AM
i'd love to see the RS4 engine in something lighter :(

whiteballz
10-11-2006, 04:56 AM
like.. perhaps my silvia?

Vaigra
10-11-2006, 05:20 AM
With the new 60:40 torque split, the RS4 doesn't understeer as much as previous Audis but it is possible to get it to drift around a corner at 90 degrees :D;)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1908065500288838794&q=rs4+vs+m3

McReis
10-11-2006, 05:37 AM
With the new 60:40 torque split, the RS4 doesn't understeer as much as previous Audis but it is possible to get it to drift around a corner at 90 degrees :D;)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1908065500288838794&q=rs4+vs+m3
If you wanted to defend the Audi's cause you shouldn't have shown that video. :D Efficience is not always fun. I'd still go with the M3. But I admire the RS4 for what it is.

Vaigra
10-11-2006, 05:43 AM
Hey, did you, or did you not see an RS4 at 90 degrees? ;)

IWantAnAudiRS6
10-11-2006, 06:03 AM
No. I'm blind :p

whiteballz
10-11-2006, 06:08 AM
AWD has that ability unlike RWD cars... its not really all that special... :p

IWantAnAudiRS6
10-11-2006, 06:17 AM
I see AWD as a useful way to have slightly more control of my car as I pummel it around. The Quattro system isn't actually split exactly between the wheels- I think there's a rear bias. 60:40, as was earlier mentioned.

Anyways, I know what I'd rather have when the British winter sets in- something with Quattro, so I won't end up in a tree/ditch/oncoming car/Triassic era :D

McReis
10-11-2006, 07:02 AM
I did. But I also see a Piaggio Ape 50 sideways on my avatar.

Vaigra
10-11-2006, 07:05 AM
ah it may well be sideways, but I'd say that's about 40 degrees, you're missing 50 degrees :D

McReis
10-11-2006, 07:16 AM
ah it may well be sideways, but I'd say that's about 40 degrees, you're missing 50 degrees :D
My point is, you need no good handling to get a thing with wheels very sideways. The hard thing is to do it with elegance and pleasure. :)
I even laughed when I saw that unbelievable angle of the RS4. That's beyond sideways! But it doesn't stay there, obviously. Lancer EVO's do it though. Feels and looks strange.

quattro_20v
10-11-2006, 07:22 AM
Maybe on the track rwd is more fun but quattro is fine by me on the road. In a country with different weather conditions it's quite usefull, and you can take corners sick high speeds aswell.
And really nice for you Jorismo. This would be a car I would consider buying if I had that much money. And the sound(for me also very important for the exerience) is also amazing if you floor it. Cant say that of a 4 banger clio really.
I dont hate clios tho I am planning on buying one as my next car.

McReis
10-11-2006, 07:27 AM
Maybe on the track rwd is more fun but quattro is fine by me on the road. In a country with different weather conditions it's quite usefull, and you can take corners sick high speeds aswell.
It's more fun everywhere. Obviously it's not as safe or fast. But that's was never my point. I know the advantages of 4wd. 4wd is usefull, but so are scooters and bus tickets.
Cornering fast is not necessarily fun. It's fun when you feel the car alive and you feel your role behind the wheel is important.

Vaigra
10-11-2006, 07:27 AM
My point is, you need no good handling to get a thing with wheels very sideways. The hard thing is to do it with elegance and pleasure. :)
I even laughed when I saw that unbelievable angle of the RS4. That's beyond sideways! But it doesn't stay there, obviously. Lancer EVO's do it though. Feels and looks strange.EVO's manage it? I'll have to look into getting my hands on one again...in a more controlled, safer enviroment of course :)
Like quattro_20v said, RWD may equate to more fun on the track, but I feel safer in a quattro on the road.

McReis
10-11-2006, 07:29 AM
RWD may equate to more fun on the track, but I feel safer in a quattro on the road.
So if you prefer safety to fun, why not having a Volvo V70 AWD? :)

PerfAdv
10-11-2006, 09:04 AM
For me an S8 doesn't make sense. The A8 is a fantastic car, tuned the way a large, powerful luxury sedan should be tuned. The S8 seems like it's an overweight weight-lifter trying to play beach volley ball with the hard bodies, trying to compete where it hasn't a chance of keeping up. That's why, smartly, BMW doesn't make a M7, kinda defeats the purpose by making a two-and-a-half ton throw about.

The manufacturers seem to be stuck making compromised designs just to save face in the horsepower war. Make a car rediculously powerful then suspend it stupid stiff so it doesn't lurch about like a Lincoln.

No thanks, I'll wear my balls inside my Armani suit. :D

IWantAnAudiRS6
10-11-2006, 09:55 AM
For me an S8 doesn't make sense. The A8 is a fantastic car, tuned the way a large, powerful luxury sedan should be tuned. The S8 seems like it's an overweight weight-lifter trying to play beach volley ball with the hard bodies, trying to compete where it hasn't a chance of keeping up. That's why, smartly, BMW doesn't make a M7, kinda defeats the purpose by making a two-and-a-half ton throw about.

The manufacturers seem to be stuck making compromised designs just to save face in the horsepower war. Make a car rediculously powerful then suspend it stupid stiff so it doesn't lurch about like a Lincoln.

BULLSEYE!!

Thank you, someone else has sense :D

Vaigra
10-11-2006, 10:29 AM
So if you prefer safety to fun, why not having a Volvo V70 AWD? :)Because I'm an Audi fanboy? :rolleyes:
You really are picking holes now aren't you? :p

BULLSEYE!!

Thank you, someone else has sense
But you like the 2nd generation S8...:p

McReis
10-11-2006, 10:45 AM
Because I'm an Audi fanboy? :rolleyes:
Sure!

You really are picking holes now aren't you? :p
It really took you that long to get that? :D

Vaigra
10-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Sure!

It really took you that long to get that? :DYou really know how to take a thread off topic don't ya, Hugo? :p

McReis
10-11-2006, 02:26 PM
You really know how to take a thread off topic don't ya, Hugo? :p
Yes, and I'm very proud of my skills. But I did have point. :D

quattro_20v
10-12-2006, 07:27 AM
So if you prefer safety to fun, why not having a Volvo V70 AWD? :)

Volvos arent the most sporty cars and a V70 weighs 2 tons I think. I know audis are heavy too but not the one I've owned (just sold it) was only 1300 kgs and it was just great fun to drive. And in snow its just very much fun because then its really easy powersliding at low speeds.

McReis
10-12-2006, 07:46 AM
Volvos arent the most sporty cars and a V70 weighs 2 tons I think. I know audis are heavy too but not the one I've owned (just sold it) was only 1300 kgs and it was just great fun to drive. And in snow its just very much fun because then its really easy powersliding at low speeds.
I was kidding about the Volvo.
In snow, everything is easy to powerslide at low speeds but 4wd cars are the only to do it safely, that's for sure.

NSXType-R
10-12-2006, 04:34 PM

So then how do you justify Mercedes making the AMG S classes and big horsepower Maybachs?:D

Back on McReis, the M3 is great as a RWD vehicle, but as far as I know, they're not making any new ones in four doors.:D

You're right about the RS6 and the M5 though, they are the right competitors. I can't wait until it comes out. Hope there's a manual too.

PerfAdv
10-12-2006, 07:32 PM
So then how do you justify Mercedes making the AMG S classes and big horsepower Maybachs?:D

I did say "manufacturers" that includes Mercedes. I guess though, a super, super luxury car buyer today wants to better even dedicated sports cars, atleast in acceleration.