PDA

View Full Version : Shanghai off V8 Supercar calender for 2004

fpv_gtho
04-04-2004, 02:46 AM
Its official, AVESCO have dropped the Shanghai Gran Prix circuit off the V8 Supercar calender and have delayed it till at least july 2005. The question that begs now is, what should replace Shanghai for Round 12 of the season? Most people would think that since Phillip Island had to make way for Shanghai that it should get first honours.

Falcon500
04-04-2004, 03:27 AM
Yeah im all for that phillip island...or prehaps simmonds plains....

fpv_gtho
04-04-2004, 03:30 AM
well 3 tracks are under consideration, phillip island being a definate, but i was thinking it would be good to give the tasmanian fans somewhere to go, so symmons plains fits in there doesnt it

fpv_gtho
04-05-2004, 02:57 AM
heres the official press release from AVESCO:

V8 Supercar Championship Series Goes Global And Beyond
Release Date: 04/04/2004
Australia’s third most watched sport will extend its international reach when the V8 Supercar Championship Series moves its entire operation to Shanghai for a race at the Shanghai International Circuit next year.

AVESCO chairman Tony Cochrane today announced that a deal had been reached with Shanghai promotor the Greenland Group to stage a V8 Supercar race at the Shanghai International Circuit from June 3-5 2005.

The V8 Supercar Championship Series will race at the circuit each year for the next five years.

AVESCO views China as the perfect new international partner given that it is now Australia’s third largest trading partner and by 2008 will provide Australia with more tourists than any other country.

“This is the dawn of a new era in a sport that has shown the largest growth of any in Australia,” Mr Cochrane said.

“Our sport has significant recognition and reach in Asia where 60 million people watch each round. China, through CCTV, increases our international television audience to 70 countries and brings V8 Supercars into more than 500 million homes.

“AVESCO would like to extend the championship even further across the world. China is a significant stepping stone into the world market and will form a blueprint should we decide to race in other countries.

“We are now recognised as a truly international sport and will only continue to grow.”

The event had been scheduled for November 12-14 this year but has been moved to ensure the event promotors had time to ensure the complex logistics of staging such an event were achieved to everyone’s satisfaction.

“At the end of the day I had to take the pragmatic decision on behalf of the entire championship with the number one priority being the teams themselves,” Mr Cochrane said.

“To move the amount of people and equipment to a new circuit thousands of kilometres away is a task of massive proportions. Some extra time will also allow the promoter to be more certain in capturing his live audience given the uncertain and often inclement weather in Shanghai in November.

Mr Cochrane said a V8 Supercar Series race will still be held on November 12-14 at a venue in New Zealand or Australia.

“That date cannot change. Our final decision on the location will be resolved in the next two weeks,” he said.

The Shanghai International Circuit will host its first event when Formula One takes to the track in September.

“This circuit and its facilities will be the best our teams will have seen. Teams, supporters and the media will be hosted in some of the best sporting facilities in the world, another great positive for our sport.”

The Shanghai International Circuit is a state of the art facility with spectacular architecture. It was designed by Formula One’s premier track designer Hermann Tilke.

fordfan2
04-05-2004, 03:19 AM
I'm Shanghai i mean as you just said it's going to make the sport bigger by being international and better as it will be available for so many people. Although i don't think it's very fair that they give Phillop Island the boot so....

fpv_gtho
04-05-2004, 03:24 AM
well theoretically, EC1 shouldve been dropped since they race again at EC for the main event series finisher, and Oran Park is under threat of housing development so that should be taken off before Phillip Island. you cant help worry though that tony cochrane wants to turn the V8 Supercars in to the World Touring Car Championship or something

fordfan2
04-05-2004, 03:46 AM
well theoretically, EC1 shouldve been dropped since they race again at EC for the main event series finisher, and Oran Park is under threat of housing development so that should be taken off before Phillip Island. you cant help worry though that tony cochrane wants to turn the V8 Supercars in to the World Touring Car Championship or something

Yer i guess that allowing other countries to view the v8's kind of is encouraging drivers to try and join from other countries and also i think that part of the reason why the v'8's are so popular here is because it is an Australian event and also if it did come to other countries being involved they would have to change the rules as they don't even make Holdens in other parts of the world. So maybe it was jus a big mistkae of tony cockrane's to even bring up the subject.

fpv_gtho
04-05-2004, 04:01 AM
well i cant really explain why so many people regard the sport as the worlds best touring cars, perhaps its because the organisers arent afraid to stick the drivers in powerful tanks that are a handful to control, but i like it because for one its V8's, its locally produced cars and its the ford vs holden rivalry thats been going on near 50 years. well several countries get to view the V8 Supercars, especially the Bathurst 1000 which theyre not afraid to send worldwide.

Falcon500
04-05-2004, 04:56 AM
Well as ambrose said in an interview that v8 supercars are the safest class of touring cars in the world! and hes been there and done that so ill trust his opion on that....and illstew even longer about how pissed off its makeing haveing the FIA but in and make our drivers wear fire proof under wear like in f1......
The cars them selves are hard to drive but the driver is quite safe....
I think people like the raceing because its close and fast...unlike the pommy touring cars....

motorsportnerd
04-05-2004, 08:47 PM
Well as ambrose said in an interview that v8 supercars are the safest class of touring cars in the world! and hes been there and done that so ill trust his opion on that....and illstew even longer about how pissed off its makeing haveing the FIA but in and make our drivers wear fire proof under wear like in f1......
The cars them selves are hard to drive but the driver is quite safe....
I think people like the raceing because its close and fast...unlike the pommy touring cars....

How about the German DTMs? They're V8s as well, and VERY quick...

2fastand2dumb
04-06-2004, 12:12 AM
i personally think that when avesco decides on which track should be put in it should be phillip park but then drop barbegello raceway from the calender and replace it with either a track in tassie or the act.
alos oran park can be dropped and then tassie and the act could both have one.

fpv_gtho
04-06-2004, 03:04 AM
How about the German DTMs? They're V8s as well, and VERY quick...

well its not just the performance of the cars that make an entertaining category or make it enjoyable for the drivers. i cant really explain it but my impression of the BTCC and DTM is its fast and flowing racing with alot of driver control. put fast and flowing into V8 Supercars, and the slightest hiccup will send cars off the track, and these elements put a huge challenge on the drivers, and also provide some good crashes for those unfortunate moments someone does go off

fpv_gtho
04-06-2004, 03:10 AM
i personally think that when avesco decides on which track should be put in it should be phillip park but then drop barbegello raceway from the calender and replace it with either a track in tassie or the act.
alos oran park can be dropped and then tassie and the act could both have one.

well as i said, Oran Park is under the threat of being ripped up and turned into a housing estate so they should get it off the calender if its pushing phillip island off. tasmania they could probably get some money from as they dont have the round there, theres a singnle round in SA, WA, NZ and NT so all of those are providing live action. last time they raced in the ACT it was a fairly narrow street circuit, im not aware of any tracks in the ACT capable of supporting V8 Supercars but if one was built, it should be built south of canberra in my opinion

2fastand2dumb
04-07-2004, 11:33 PM
well as i said, Oran Park is under the threat of being ripped up and turned into a housing estate so they should get it off the calender if its pushing phillip island off. tasmania they could probably get some money from as they dont have the round there, theres a singnle round in SA, WA, NZ and NT so all of those are providing live action. last time they raced in the ACT it was a fairly narrow street circuit, im not aware of any tracks in the ACT capable of supporting V8 Supercars but if one was built, it should be built south of canberra in my opinion

as you might already know that they were planing to build a dragway, velodrome and yes a race track that was going to be capable to support v8's on the big strip of land opposite the tip going down towards the round about at rose cottage. but residents of macauthor complained about noise but it did clear noise restrictions and would only be used on saturday nights.

fpv_gtho
04-08-2004, 12:15 AM
i wasnt aware of that, but all the concern has been risen over Oran Park being ripped up for housing development from Cecil Park near the track and the increasing popularity in the area. its the same story that killed the Mt Druitt track 5-10 minutes from where i live

2fastand2dumb
04-18-2004, 04:29 PM
were exactly is that track that you were talking about near u

fpv_gtho
04-18-2004, 06:55 PM
well Eastern Creek Raceway and the Western Sydney International Dragway are about 10 minutes East from where i live, Oran Park Raceway is about 30 minutes SE, the old Mount Druitt Raceway is about 5 minutes East from where i live and is now part of Whalan Reserve

brettjohnson
04-18-2004, 11:44 PM
I agree, Phillip Island should be the answer,

Just wondering if anyone has had the chance to look at Garth Tander's new website - looks pretty cool and is different from most other drivers websites cause it covers all motorsport categories - the section is called "Backfire" and gives fans the opportunity to air their views on all motorsport issues. www.garthtander.com is the site. Check it out!

fpv_gtho
04-19-2004, 02:43 AM
Tony Cochrane wants to globalise the motorsport, so dont be too surprised if a 2nd New Zealand round gets the nod over Phillip Islan returning and next year Oran Park gets pushed off to accomodate Shanghai

2fastand2dumb
04-19-2004, 04:07 PM
if they wanted to put in another round in new zealand they would have a hard time trying to dropp oran parck or phillip island because now the supporters are thinking that because shanghi is gone it will be replaced and noone wants to see an australian round get dropped except greg murphy fans back in new zealand.

fpv_gtho
04-20-2004, 12:27 AM
well if the did reinstate phillip island, it would just be pushed off again next year to make way for shanghai, again. if another new zealand round comes on, its highly likely oran park will get the push off or the calender will only see 1 eastern creek event

fpv_gtho
05-05-2004, 02:52 AM
not trying to revive a dead thread or anything but.....

.......so far the early predictions have it that Round 12 will see the V8 Supercars going around Symmonds Plains in Tasmania. The early predictions that Phillip Island would be back on the calender have been dealt a serious blow with reports that all the drivers except for Ambrose and Bowe voted not to go there, and Skaife gave a no comment. I would think AVESCO would get their act together about it all, its bad enough PROCAR have shut down, leaving 5 racing categories in limbo, now AVESCO have an open round at the end of the year