PDA

View Full Version : Egg Nog's 4-question Quiz

Egg Nog
04-04-2004, 08:40 PM
Try these... Please answer only ONE question! If you know them all, this lets other users have a go at the rest!

1. Name 3 car companies that have used another company's engine in one of their models while using one of their own engines in another model.

2. Name the [u]models[/] from the question above.

3. Name 2 cars whose high-performance versions use a smaller displacement engine than lesser variants.

4. Name 3 cars produced by major manufacturers who have had the suspension work done by another company.

Niko_Fx
04-04-2004, 08:51 PM
3. Name 2 cars whose high-performance versions use a smaller displacement engine than lesser variants.

I didn't really understand the question well. But here's a try to see if it is what you meant.

Subaru Impresa 2.5 RS has a 165hp engine (2.5 liters)

While the Impresa WRX has a 227hp engine but 2.0 liters.

Something like that?

Spastik_Roach
04-04-2004, 08:58 PM
Answer to 4: Proton Satria GTI (Lotus), Vauxhaul Carlton (Lotus) and the Proton Impian.(Lotus).

Not very much variety, but oh well!

kiwitt
04-04-2004, 09:02 PM
1988 BMW M3 2304cc and 1988 BMW 325i 2496cc

Egg Nog
04-04-2004, 09:33 PM
#3 - Kiwitt and Niko_fx each got one for this, so it's been answered. I was personally thinking of the Thunderbird Super Coupe and the VX220 Turbo.

#4 - Spastik_Roach got this one. I was personally thinking of the Asuna Sunfire/Toyota MK1 MR2 by Lotus, and the Mercedes SLR by McLaren.

#1 and #2 are still up for grabs.

Spastik_Roach
04-04-2004, 11:23 PM
I didn't realise Mclaren did the suspension! I just stuck with ones I was certain with :)

BTW I'm not allowed to guess any others am I? Cause I know the answers to No.1 :P

Egg Nog
04-04-2004, 11:49 PM
I didn't realise Mclaren did the suspension! I just stuck with ones I was certain with :)

BTW I'm not allowed to guess any others am I? Cause I know the answers to No.1 :P

Post it later on tomorrow if nobody else does. That should give them plenty of time.

henk4
04-05-2004, 05:28 AM
RE: Question one and two.

This is a bit of a tricky one, many car companies (Russian, Japanese) have used for instance PSA diesel engines, besides their own petrol engines, but what about Saab using the Opel diesel which is actually an Isuzu diesel, so it's basically General Motors as are their petrol engines. All the subcompanies of VAG (Audi, Seat Skoda) using the same VW diesel? Volvo has been using Renault diesels and even Audi diesels for a while. So here is a plethora of possible answers but I am sure you are having some specific examples in mind.

Matra et Alpine
04-05-2004, 05:39 AM
Volvo has been using Renault diesels and even Audi diesels for a while. So here is a plethora of possible answers but I am sure you are having some specific examples in mind.
PRV was a joitn developmetn for engines, does that count ??
Peugeot - Renault - Volvo.
best engine (biased) being the 3litre V6 :) Used by everyone including
Venturi and DeLorean.

henk4
04-05-2004, 05:47 AM
PRV was a joitn developmetn for engines, does that count ??
Peugeot - Renault - Volvo.
best engine (biased) being the 3litre V6 :) Used by everyone including
Venturi and DeLorean.

But that was not the question, as Venturi and DeLorean did not produce any engines by themselves.

Matra et Alpine
04-05-2004, 06:22 AM
But that was not the question, as Venturi and DeLorean did not produce any engines by themselves.
Sorry, I wasn't claiming that. Guilty of adding superfluous information to my question.
Whcih still stands, does it cound if the companies who used the engine collaborated in the development - liek the PRV ??

drakkie
04-05-2004, 07:03 AM
citroen
Fiat
Ford

Question 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
flying without wings

cp01ae
04-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Question 1 answer:

GM
Lotus
Lancia

Names of models will be provided if anyone asks, I just want to leave it open to someone else if they want to answer. :)

Batmobile_Turbo
04-05-2004, 08:54 PM
1. Name 3 car companies that have used another company's engine in one of their models while using one of their own engines in another model.
Saturn
Lotus
Saleen

GT500
04-05-2004, 09:40 PM
damn...got here late...
#1 & 2....half of 2 lol
Lotus (Ford Lotus Cortina)
Saleen (The Stangs)
And I believe Saturn did....not sure about them though :o

Egg Nog
04-05-2004, 10:59 PM
For #1, There are dozens of possibilities. You all got them right :)

Here's two possible examples:

The Elise was made at a time when the Esprit V8 was still being produced. (I've heard it was a Lotus-designed and built engine, correct me if I'm wrong).

Koenigsegg uses Ford's 4.6 for the CC/CCS, and (will) use a personalised non-Ford 4.7 for the CCR. It's not produced by them, but it's the only car that will use this engine. :)

Batmobile_Turbo
04-05-2004, 11:23 PM
damn...got here late...
#1 & 2....half of 2 lol
Lotus (Ford Lotus Cortina)
Saleen (The Stangs)
And I believe Saturn did....not sure about them though :o
yes saturn, think about the Vue.

Ferrari Tifosi
04-06-2004, 11:32 AM
Honda
Chevy
Saturn

Egg Nog
04-06-2004, 06:53 PM
Honda
Chevy
Saturn

Honda and Chevy?

Spastik_Roach
04-06-2004, 07:25 PM
Honda and Rover is what he might be possibly talking about?

BTW Egg Nog, is it time you post a new set of questions?

Egg Nog
04-06-2004, 10:45 PM
BTW Egg Nog, is it time you post a new set of questions?

Are you referring to this thread, or the next "What is it?" quiz? The latter was posted for the week of April 6th already. :)

I'll post something more here when I think of it :D