10-28-2006, 08:14 AM
Blimey man, poor thing really...

coolieman1220
10-28-2006, 09:16 AM
was that real?

taz_rocks_miami
10-28-2006, 09:28 AM
Blimey man, poor thing really...

Yeah, poor animal. :( Was that on a race track?

NSXType-R
10-28-2006, 09:52 AM
Well, we need to worry about deer and moose, you guys worry about kangaroos and the Middle Easterners need to worry about camels. :D

There's nothing you can do about that. Make bigger fences perhaps.

BTW, is kangaroo meat any good?

jorismo
10-28-2006, 10:40 AM
Wow that's hard... I once saw a dog get hit, I felt bad the rest of the day.

And as NSX said, there nothing you can do about it...

NSXType-R
10-28-2006, 11:20 AM
I often see roadkill where I live. It used to be rural but now it's heavily populated. So, you see raccoons, squirrels and the occasional opossum. It's nasty, but it really gets nasty when they rot.

Timothy (in VA)
10-28-2006, 12:28 PM
Only tangentially related, but interesting nonetheless: There are more white-tail deer in the United States now than there were when Columbus landed in the Caribbean. Humans, while increasing in numbers dramatically, have simultaneously decreased the numbers of predators and increased deer-friendly habitat. Deer prefer forest edges, which are created in abundance by the breaking-up of blocks of forest for suburban development.

What this all means is that one should be careful when driving around dusk, when deer are most active. Hitting a deer with your car at speed is not only usually fatal for the deer, but can also severely damage the car and possibly injure or even kill its occupants.

Another fun fact: Roadkill deer in Northern Virginia are collected and sold to a glue factory. In other areas, they may be made into fertilizer.

NSXType-R
10-28-2006, 12:39 PM
Yeah, it sucks because the wolves and bear that prey on the deer aren't there anymore.:(

On your sidenote, yes, it could happen because I know that Jello is made from the bones of a cow to get collagen, which makes it stiff. So, glue and fertilizer from a deer isn't too far fetched.:D

coolieman1220
10-28-2006, 05:15 PM
my uncle has an auto body shop down in a maryland, close to DC and you should see some of the deer accidents he's seen. very bad some of them. a BMW 745, the roof line by the a pillar was dropped 6 inches. many ppl get killed by them too by him. u drive at night and for fun on a road where its about 4 miles long surrounded by trees, (actually the road that passes by NASA's Goddard facilty) u shine a flashlight into the woods and all you see in Green eyes. DEER!

clutch-monkey
10-28-2006, 05:47 PM
Well, we need to worry about deer and moose, you guys worry about kangaroos and the Middle Easterners need to worry about camels. :D

There's nothing you can do about that. Make bigger fences perhaps.

BTW, is kangaroo meat any good?
bigger fences lol :D you can get speakers attached to the front of your car that emit sounds to scare 'roos away.
we have to worry about camels too since there are many feral herds of them out west..
kangaroo meat is like a leaner, healthier beef. people use it in mince as a beef substitute.

Mr.Tiv
10-28-2006, 05:55 PM
kangaroo meat is like a leaner, healthier beef. people use it in mince as a beef substitute.
Like buffalo?

clutch-monkey
10-28-2006, 06:09 PM
it's not as strong as buffalo meat.
edit: uh...you mean water buffalo right? that's what i was comparing too... never had any other buffalo..

Mr.Tiv
10-28-2006, 06:12 PM
it's not as strong as buffalo meat.
edit: uh...you mean water buffalo right? that's what i was comparing too... never had any other buffalo..
Damn, forgot you guys don't have American Bison(buffalo to me) down under. I think I want a rooburger.

clutch-monkey
10-28-2006, 07:02 PM
technically, we're not supposed to have anything with hooves on this continent... on pest control operations half of the stuff we target has hooves, the other half is foxes, rabbits, and feral domestic animals..

NSXType-R
11-01-2006, 03:43 PM
bigger fences lol :D you can get speakers attached to the front of your car that emit sounds to scare 'roos away.
we have to worry about camels too since there are many feral herds of them out west..

Hmm... I gotta try it then. :D Is there any way to import it to the states without the FDA and Department of Agriculture going crazy on me?

I've seen some strange Japanese products that attach to the fenders of the cars to emit high frequency sounds (that we can't hear, but the deers can) and scare them off. I don't know exactly how effective they are though.

clutch-monkey
11-01-2006, 04:15 PM
Hmm... I gotta try it then. :D Is there any way to import it to the states without the FDA and Department of Agriculture going crazy on me?

I've seen some strange Japanese products that attach to the fenders of the cars to emit high frequency sounds (that we can't hear, but the deers can) and scare them off. I don't know exactly how effective they are though.
well, they're suppsoed to work in frequencies that human scan't hear, yet sometimes you can still hear a high pitched buzzing lol

as for the meat, you could try and order some lol.... wouldn't be cheap :D

whiteballz
11-01-2006, 05:19 PM
good ol' bathurst.. oh how the surprises on that track never end!