PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari Enzo VS MacLaren F1

D'ARTOIS
10-30-2006, 08:25 AM
Most exciting roadcars ever next to each other!

http://www.autoblog.nl/archive/2006/07/28/fifth-gear-ferrari-enzo-vs-mclaren-f1

http://www.bmwworld.com/models/mclaren.htm

Vaigra
10-30-2006, 08:42 AM
Not what I was expecting to see when I clicked the link.
In a good way, that is.
Thanks for the video link.

cmcpokey
10-30-2006, 08:45 AM
hadn't seen that one, very good

Coventrysucks
10-30-2006, 09:09 AM
http://www.bobbysbest.com/images/products/maclaren_volo_lightweight_umbrella_stroller.jpg

Err?

:Exige:
10-30-2006, 09:15 AM
The problem with the Fifth gear test is that they've used the wrong McLaren. They've used the LM, which is essentially the race car made road legal. Fun ... definitely, but not the one to compare with the Enzo.

D'ARTOIS
10-30-2006, 09:39 AM
I don't know both cars that good so that I can give some worthwile opinion, but on the other hand I know that it is very difficult for magazines in general to get hold of multimillion cars. Specifically automotive journalists are considered as pest when it concerns testdrives.
I remember when I was chief-editor of a magazine that we wanted to do an issue about the Alpine V6 then brandnew on the market and only 2 protypes excisted. One was already very soon returned by the autojournalist, unfortunately not in one piece.
We got the car finally but had to promise not to go to the limit. The Alpine V6 turned out to be not very exciting - now I can very well understand the fear when you hand over such sensitive cars - that require more than average drivers - to a over-enthousiastic journalist-driver.....

If you find somebody who owns such cars and willing to hand over the key to you, what do you say?.............

10-30-2006, 09:56 AM
The McLaren F1 has always been better than the Enzo for me, and the noise of it just sured that up!

derekthetree
10-30-2006, 10:01 AM
The problem with the Fifth gear test is that they've used the wrong McLaren. They've used the LM, which is essentially the race car made road legal. Fun ... definitely, but not the one to compare with the Enzo.

I don't think its the lm. the lm was 5 specially made cars rather than ones converted later or so I thought. feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)

10-30-2006, 10:26 AM
I don't think its the lm. the lm was 5 specially made cars rather than ones converted later or so I thought. feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)
The one in the video is an LM. I've heard a lot about the person who owns the cars; there was an article about him and his LM in a magazine (the McLaren F1 issue of Classic and Sportscar I believe).

The converted cars had the road going interior and the aero package was quite different. If you look closely on this car you can actually see the LM insignia plastered about too. This is a genuine LM and not a convert like Nick Mason's.

taz_rocks_miami
10-30-2006, 10:41 AM

Tiff mentions right before he gets in the F1, that it's the race version converted back to road use, it's the LM.

Thanks for the vid link D'ARTOIS. :)

D'ARTOIS
10-30-2006, 10:56 AM
To start with, I am not totally a stranger to Ferrari's, I hate them and I love them dearly - in any case I observed both cars closely and - frankly - I would feel more comfortable in the Ferrari, that I can tell you now. Although - the F1 sounds like a real racing car - the sound of this car warns you like "Be careful, I am not a pussy car" - what will happen if you push such a car to it's extreme limits?

Coventrysucks
10-30-2006, 04:14 PM
Tiff mentions right before he gets in the F1, that it's the race version converted back to road use, it's the LM.

The LM was never a race version though - it did share some of the components, but it was never a conversion of anything - they were built that way.

Sultan of Brunei has 3, I believe Ralph Lauren has one, so this would be the only other?

Can't be arsed to sit through the vid to find the quote - but does Tiff say that one of the seats is taken up with all the electronics?

I'm pretty sure the LM had use of all 3 seats.

Sauc3
10-30-2006, 04:25 PM
This car a 1996 GTR. #016R to be exact. I have seen this car when it was in Maranello Motorsport last year, it has since been sold and is now residing in England. The owner posts an F1 related forum.

The car previously wore a BMW FINA livery, and participated in the 1996 Le Mans, where it placed 11th.

http://www.maranellomotorsport.com/sold.asp

fisetdavid26
10-30-2006, 05:14 PM
If you look closely on the wheels of the McLaren you can see it's written GTR.

F1_Master
10-30-2006, 06:39 PM
Why not? The Enzo is always resorted to as the closest to getting a Formula 1 car street legal. It's basically a race car in itself.

Coventrysucks
10-30-2006, 06:43 PM
Why not? The Enzo is always resorted to as the closest to getting a Formula 1 car street legal. It's basically a race car in itself.

Are you thinking of the F50?

I wouldn't say that the Enzo shares much in common with an F1 car, certainly not a current one anyway.

Certainly no more than, say, a Koenigsegg.

F1_Master
10-30-2006, 07:47 PM
Are you thinking of the F50?

I wouldn't say that the Enzo shares much in common with an F1 car, certainly not a current one anyway.

Certainly no more than, say, a Koenigsegg.
Hmm, you're right. The F50 may be a better "comparison" given it was the one I was thinking of that's called a "F1" legal car.

I believe it also made in the same year as the LM, 1995.

Sauc3
10-30-2006, 07:49 PM
Hmm, you're right. The F50 may be a better "comparison" given it was the one I was thinking of that's called a "F1" legal car.

I believe it also made in the same year as the LM, 1995.
Doesn't matter, because this is a 1996 GTR...

Bbgunmaster
10-30-2006, 08:44 PM
the mclaren has a lot of buttons and switches lol

the ferrari has a pretty awesome engine noise

Their both pretty nice cars

adrenaline
10-31-2006, 02:26 AM
I loved the sound of that Maclaren.

IMO the Maclaren is better, far better. It's just so fucussed.

Coventrysucks
10-31-2006, 02:45 AM
http://www.bobbysbest.com/images/products/maclaren_volo_lightweight_umbrella_stroller.jpg

Eh?

Vaigra
10-31-2006, 03:17 AM
huh..?

10-31-2006, 05:56 PM
wha..?

Rockefella
10-31-2006, 06:11 PM
Erm..?

Sauc3
10-31-2006, 07:23 PM
Pickle..?

LandQuail
11-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Squawk!

I read somewhere, or maybe just saw in a vision, that the LM's engine was restricted to make less power than the roadgoing version. That's something I'm sure most LM owners couldn't resist putting right by removing the little restrictor plate. In most cars this would be a thirty second job, but with an F1...

It probably takes a team of 15 highly trained Castrato-singing eunochs raised from pups in some McLaren nursery just to get the air filter off.

Which is better than the Enzo, which you have to ship back to Modena for any service. I've been told by "a source close to the factory" that a team of mysterious faceless hooded figures to fall upon the car from an ancient tree growing out of Enzo's grave near the factory, envelop the vehicle with their cloaks and writhe frantically for a few seconds, and swoop back into the night, leaving you with new wheel center caps and a new wiper blade. If you're lucky, they'll maybe give it a wax while they're down there.

kingofthering
11-01-2006, 04:23 PM
Squawk!

I read somewhere, or maybe just saw in a vision, that the LM's engine was restricted to make less power than the roadgoing version. That's something I'm sure most LM owners couldn't resist putting right by removing the little restrictor plate. In most cars this would be a thirty second job, but with an F1...

It probably takes a team of 15 highly trained Castrato-singing eunochs raised from pups in some McLaren nursery just to get the air filter off.

Which is better than the Enzo, which you have to ship back to Modena for any service. I've been told by "a source close to the factory" that a team of mysterious faceless hooded figures to fall upon the car from an ancient tree growing out of Enzo's grave near the factory, envelop the vehicle with their cloaks and writhe frantically for a few seconds, and swoop back into the night, leaving you with new wheel center caps and a new wiper blade. If you're lucky, they'll maybe give it a wax while they're down there.
This reminds me of a video on youtube where a guy who filmed an enzo being parked claims it needs fighter jet oil from F16s. (The factory requires special Shell forumula oil sold only at Ferrari dealers)
Oh great, next someone will say these hooded figures are related to the brotherhood of jelly

Cyco
11-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Oh great, next someone will say these hooded figures are related to the brotherhood of jelly

This is untrue. BoJ mechanics will work on Koenigseggs, Zondas, Astons and the P4/5. Enzos are beneath their standards