PDA

View Full Version : Mondeo at the top of Ford Oz's shopping list

adrenaline
10-31-2006, 10:20 PM
Ford targets mid-size Mondeo

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2006/10/30/30MondeoMain.jpg

The next-generation Mondeo launches in early 2007, and Ford Australia admits the mid-size sedan is at the top of its shopping list, reports JEZ SPINKS.

The Mondeo nameplate looks set to return to Australia after Ford admitted declining Falcon sales have forced it to seriously reconsider importing the medium-size sedan.

Ford last sold the Mondeo in Australia between July 1995 and December 2000, but while it sold only in small numbers before being axed, importing the next-generation version has hit the agenda because of the market shift towards smaller-engined cars.

Sales of Ford’s large, homegrown products have been hurt by the rise in petrol prices, with both the Falcon sedan and Territory 4WD down 18.6 and 17.9 per cent respectively year on year, based on September’s industry figures.

Ford Australia’s small-car imports, the Fiesta and Focus, in contrast, are enjoying a relative boom. Fiesta sales have risen by nearly 30 percent year on year, while 64 per cent more Focus models have been shifted since this time last year.

Ford is now one of the few manufacturers in Australia not to have a contender in the mid-size segment, and the company admits it's not taking advantage of customers switching from six-cylinder to four-cylinder cars.

Tom Gorman, Ford Australia’s president, said: “I think there’s enough evidence now that with the growth of the four-cylinder market that it’s an area where we’re not really maximising our position in. And Mondeo may in fact play that role for us.

“We think it’s an exciting product, and we’re giving Mondeo a lot more consideration than we would have done two years ago. It’s a product that has moved from the back-burner to the front-burner as we’ve watched the dynamics change in the Australian market.”

The fourth-generation Mondeo, which launches in Europe early next year, will be the biggest version yet – and its anticipated 2850mm wheelbase is even fractionally longer than the Falcon’s – but it seems Ford is just as concerned about losing out in the medium-size segment as it is with a new car potentially stepping on Falcon’s toes.

“The issue with us bringing in a new car is to strike the right balance between substitution with the Falcon and driving incremental business,” said Gorman. “But as you’ve seen the shift from six-cylinders to four-cylinders, other [manufacturers] are taking advantage of that and we’re not really fully participating.”

Those manufacturers also include Holden, which in early 2008 is expected to replace the European-sourced Vectra with the Korean-sourced (GM Daewoo) Epica.

The Vectra was one of the medium-sized rivals that was far more successful here in the late '90s than the Mondeo, which Ford struggled to get its marketing head around.

The all-new Mondeo should be an easier sell in a medium-size segment that has been revitalised in recent years by the likes of the Mazda6, Subaru Liberty and Honda Accord Euro.

Official pictures suggest it’s a better-looking vehicle than ever before, while the new Mondeo is also built on an extended version of the platform used by the dynamically adept Ford Focus, as well as the Mazda3 and Volvo S40/V50.

Volvo five-cylinders will also form part of the Mondeo’s engine line-up, including both the 125kW 2.4-litre naturally aspirated and 162kW 2.5-litre turbocharged petrols. The latter is used to great effect in Ford’s XR5 Turbo. There will also be Ford four-cylinder engines.

No specific details have been released yet for the Mondeo, but even if the car’s final dimensions are not significantly smaller than the Falcon’s, Ford can market the Mondeo as a four- or five-cylinder vehicle that sits above the Focus, while the Falcon continues to be a six- and eight-cylinder car only.

Gorman said that development of the next-generation Falcon – codenamed Orion and due in 2008 – was well underway, and that Ford chairman Bill Ford had been taken through the project on his recent visit to Australia during the last weekend of October.

“The [new Falcon’s] not done, but we have various levels of prototypes and Bill will get some exposure to those,” said Gorman.

Wow, I would love to see the Mondeo come here! IF they decided to go through with it, I would assume it wouldn't arrive until late next year - and would screw with the Orion Launch.

brandisher
10-31-2006, 11:01 PM
I just don't understand why ford sells their good sedans and what not in foreign countries and the US gets their big trucks and row after row of ugly, ugly vehicles. There are some exceptions . . .

fpv_gtho
10-31-2006, 11:48 PM
They'd have to make sure they get the marketing right. They screwed up when they brought the Focus in, first by releasing it with BA, then with expecting it to flourish because thats what the market was doing. They need to make sure buyers are aware otherwise they'll continue to get overlooked. They may even get lucky in that if the marketing works, the odd buyer thinks they might want the bigger Falcon instead. Win-win situation for Ford.

2ndclasscitizen
10-31-2006, 11:53 PM
Ford already has a great selling mid sized sedan on sale here. It's called the Mazda 6.

adrenaline
11-01-2006, 03:17 AM
Key word being Mazda. With Falcon sales falling, the Ford nameplate needs a midsizer in showrooms.

syko
11-01-2006, 04:50 AM
Ford already has a great selling mid sized sedan on sale here. It's called the Mazda 6.

Well techniquely ford can only claim 30% of the mazda sales

IBrake4Rainbows
11-01-2006, 05:02 AM
the last mondeo was a shocker of a sales slug, correct?

Mondeo will steal sales from Falcon and render the Euro look and feel the ad's have been talking about useless.

it's not going to happen without a serious rethink of the falcon, essentially.

adrenaline
11-01-2006, 05:06 AM
It sold slow in the past, but that was at a time when fuel was lower, so people opted for Falcon. These days the midsize is booming, so it only seems logical to jump in the arena with Europe's latest midsizer. IIRC Gorman actually acknowledged that it could eat Falcon sales, but with Falcon declining sharply they have nothing to lose.

IBrake4Rainbows
11-01-2006, 05:08 AM
They have thousands of Aussie Jobs to lose.

Tout an efficient engine to put in the Falcon = Instant sales success.

fpv_gtho
11-01-2006, 05:15 AM

Mondeo will steal sales from Falcon and render the Euro look and feel the ad's have been talking about useless.

IIRC Holden never had a problem flogging off Vectra's alongside the Commodore.

adrenaline
11-01-2006, 05:17 AM
They have thousands of Aussie Jobs to lose.

Earlier this year FoMoCo looked at completely shutting down ford Oz, not just local operations, but completely withdrawing them.

IBrake4Rainbows
11-01-2006, 05:22 AM
IMHO the introduction of a Mondeo into the country would be the first step of such a plan.

IBrake4Rainbows
11-01-2006, 05:24 AM
IIRC Holden never had a problem flogging off Vectra's alongside the Commodore.

Vectra's operate in a different market I believe - people who would buy a vectra would never consider a commodore.

There not on sale anymore anyway, correct?

How telling.

adrenaline
11-01-2006, 05:27 AM
IMHO the introduction of a Mondeo into the country would be the first step of such a plan.

Yes, the last Mondeo was an attempt to replace the local falcon with an import.

IBrake4Rainbows
11-01-2006, 05:29 AM
I think that was the Taurus - the americans wanted to see if Aussies would take to a fully imported product.

turns out we don't but Sh*t :p

syko
11-01-2006, 05:30 AM

What they should do is expand the focus range to what the europeans get, diesel plus all 4 cylinder engines plus more options. That would give them more sales.

IBrake4Rainbows
11-01-2006, 05:32 AM
I think the Focus is a little small for Aussie tastes to be the Volume car - even with rising fuel costs.

fpv_gtho
11-01-2006, 06:03 AM
Vectra's operate in a different market I believe - people who would buy a vectra would never consider a commodore.

There not on sale anymore anyway, correct?

How telling.

Vectra and Mondeo have always competed in their home markets. Their current sales status also has more to do with Holden chasing maximum profitability from their imports than any clash with the Commodore.

syko
11-01-2006, 06:43 AM
I think the Focus is a little small for Aussie tastes to be the Volume car - even with rising fuel costs.

well the Corolla sells pretty damn well and the focus is better than it. So maybe a greater range would sell it better.

motorsportnerd
11-01-2006, 07:40 PM
The last Mondeo that sold here was a direct competitor to the Vectra and never in danger of stealing Falcon sales. It was too small. In fact the current Focus sedan is about the same size.
The new Mondeo however, has the same wheelbase as the Falcon - so there is a danger it will cannibalise Falcon sales. I used to have a Mondeo. If Ford Australia had bought in the current model Mondeo when it was released in 2000, I would've bought one to replace my old Mondeo. Instead I bought a Falcon. If Ford brings in the new generation Mondeo next year, I'll buy one at some point, rather than a Falcon. If they don't bring it in, I'm likely to stick to Falcon. So, I can see how Mondeo would cannibalise Falcon sales. Admittedly, I buy second hand cars, not new ones, but I'm still the sort of person who would prefer the more economical Mondeo as I don't need the extra power of the Falcon. However, if I can't get a Mondeo, I'll still stay with Ford and buy a Falcon, since I want more space than a Focus.

IBrake4Rainbows
11-01-2006, 09:47 PM
well the Corolla sells pretty damn well and the focus is better than it. So maybe a greater range would sell it better.

The Corolla sells because of fleet discounts and it's key qualities - the Focus is a relative newby in the sector that sells well because of it's euroness and quality.

Vectra and Mondeo have always competed in their home markets. Their current sales status also has more to do with Holden chasing maximum profitability from their imports than any clash with the Commodore.

Methinks the vectra no longer being imported has a lot to with keeping people directed to their new $1 Billion Baby.

Although there have been whispers of a Korean replacing the Vectra in the Holden Line up. It just strikes me as odd that when a New Commodore comes out the internal competition is no longer imported - despite a facelift ???

fpv_gtho
11-01-2006, 09:58 PM
Its not a whisper, look up the Epica.

IBrake4Rainbows
11-01-2006, 10:01 PM
if there dead serious about the epica I have no respect for holden. at all.

Monty_Burns
11-01-2006, 10:31 PM
In NZ there seems to be space for both the Falcon and the Mondeo. Both are usually at the pointy end of sales.

IBrake4Rainbows
11-01-2006, 10:50 PM
I didn't think Falcons and Commodores sold very well there anyway - most people just buy japanese imports:confused:

nota
11-01-2006, 11:29 PM
I used to have a Mondeo. If Ford Australia had bought in the current model Mondeo when it was released in 2000, I would've bought one to replace my old Mondeo. Instead I bought a Falcon.
Happened to see a current-model 'police style' Mondeo sedan, shown in Midsomer Murders on the teevee. Imo this model Mondeo looks an exceptionally clean and maturely styled unit, much more attractive than locally-available oppposition including Mazda 626 etc

Also probably a better looker imo than the upcoming extended-snout Mondeo

fpv_gtho
11-01-2006, 11:50 PM
I didn't think Falcons and Commodores sold very well there anyway - most people just buy japanese imports:confused:

For new cars though they still do alright.

motorsportnerd
11-02-2006, 12:30 AM
Happened to see a current-model 'police style' Mondeo sedan, shown in Midsomer Murders on the teevee. Imo this model Mondeo looks an exceptionally clean and maturely styled unit, much more attractive than locally-available oppposition including Mazda 626 etc

Also probably a better looker imo than the upcoming extended-snout Mondeo

Better looking than the last Mazda 626, sure. But of the current mid-size locally available opposition, the Mazda6 is the best looking in my opinion, and much better looking than the Mondeo. Accord isn't bad looking either. Still, in NZ they had sports version of the Mondeo with a 2.5 litre V6 known as the ST. Based on the 5-door, lowered over the base models, with a subtle body kit and big (17-inch IIRC) alloys, the ST looked pretty tough. Noticed that Ford NZ withdrew it from the market earlier this year - probably competed too closely on price with the XR6.

fpv_gtho
11-02-2006, 02:35 AM
Sounds similar to the ST24 Ford sold when your model was still on sale here. The 2.5L though really wasnt enough with only 125kw.

nota
11-02-2006, 03:21 AM
Better looking than the last Mazda 626, sure. But of the current mid-size locally available opposition, the Mazda6 is the best looking in my opinion, and much better looking than the Mondeo.
Sorry, I meant the Mazda6 which for looks imo is not too bad - except for those 'Tokyo by night' tail lights which I find intolerable. But I accept that others don't mind them :)

A lot of otherwise worthy UK-sourced vehicles seem to have a long history of being unsuitable for our local market. The Brits have often appeared unable to supply competitively on price (eg Fords) and/or quality (eg pommy Peugeots)

charged
11-02-2006, 03:51 AM
Its not a whisper, look up the Epica.

A face only a mother could love:eek:, hope it drives better than it looks.

IMHO holden is doing itself a diservice bringing in all these daewoos and rebadging them as Aussie ocker holdens;) . Look at the quality of the Fiesta/Focus compared to the Barina/Viva, I know which one Id buy.
Holdens putting profit in front of quality, it may come back and haunt them in the long term.

fpv_gtho
11-02-2006, 04:02 AM
Well i was saying to my brother before, Holden, the company any normal person on the street would think is the only manufacturer producing cars locally, and some would think they build all their cars here, actually imports more models now from Korea than they do from Japan or Europe, let alone what they produce here.

SlickHolden
11-02-2006, 06:25 AM
Still nothing wrong with the Viva. My mates Viva is still in 1 peace and running perfect.

Actually ford could only have themselves too blame for anyone thinking holden is the only car maker here that Aussie. I remember a comment that came from someone at 888 at bathurst when they won, They said we did it for all ford fans around the world and here. That comment could imply ford being global not Australian, Also the name doesn't help when it's a global name. Too me there as Aussie as holden they did the hard work and deserve too be dinky die, But sometimes there comments can let the mind wonder.

2ndclasscitizen
11-02-2006, 10:43 PM
I find it funny that the team that won Bathurst isn't even Australian, I wonder how many Ford fans know that? It'd be gold to tell some die-hard Ford V8SC fan that they tune Vauxhalls and run Astras in the BTCC in the UK.

adrenaline
11-03-2006, 12:18 AM
What does it really mean though? What part of their operation isn't Australian? They didn't use an Astra to win Bathurst ;)

fpv_gtho
11-03-2006, 12:27 AM
I find it funny that the team that won Bathurst isn't even Australian, I wonder how many Ford fans know that? It'd be gold to tell some die-hard Ford V8SC fan that they tune Vauxhalls and run Astras in the BTCC in the UK.

Whats so funny about it? Its fairly common these days for teams not to be Australian. FPR, SBR, HRT, HSVDT all have international links.

2ndclasscitizen
11-03-2006, 12:33 AM
Whats so funny about it? Its fairly common these days for teams not to be Australian. FPR, SBR, HRT, HSVDT all have international links.It's the least Australian team of all (excluding the NZ teams of course). FPR was started by Ford and FPV IIRC, SBR - created, owned and run by the Stone brothers, HRT - started by Holden (though owned by a Scot), HSVDT - used to be Gibson motorsport. 888 really has no Australian links at all. I just think it's funny.

fpv_gtho
11-03-2006, 12:37 AM
888 used to be Briggs Motorsport though.

SBR - Owned by a pair of Kiwi's

Manufacturers arent allowed to own any of the teams, so FPR and HRT are 100% TWR/TWG and Prodrive. Both are British companies. 888 really arent that different to the front running teams in that respect. What might surprise more people though is Holden Motorsport is now controlled by Walkinshaw, a Scot.

adrenaline
11-03-2006, 12:38 AM
The same kind of funny as Holden being owned by GM, and importing Korean Daewoos :p

2ndclasscitizen
11-03-2006, 12:49 AM
The same kind of funny as Holden being owned by GM, and importing Korean Daewoos :p
I'll see you your Holden Daewoos, and raise you a Kia

http://www.marque.com.au/usedcars/images/1997%20Ford%20Festiva.jpg

But can you imagine how much some mega Ford bogan would flip if you rocked up in a 888-tweaked Astra? It'd be hilarious!

adrenaline
11-03-2006, 03:07 AM
It's not really a huge issue to me about where the team comes from...I actually think it's cool that they are more of a global operation. I don't know the reactions of die hard Ford fans, it has the potential to be funny though.

But why go on about Kia? Name one Ford that is a Kia. None. Simple fact, Holden sells cheap, nasty Koreans. Ford sells Europeans, among others. It's almost laughable that someone bring up a car that ford axed five or so years ago and apply it to 2006. Holden are taking Koreans into the future. Ford has long left them in the past. Simple.

fpv_gtho
11-03-2006, 03:52 AM
But can you imagine how much some mega Ford bogan would flip if you rocked up in a 888-tweaked Astra? It'd be hilarious!

About the same as some mega Holden bogan finding out about TWR's origins i suppose.

In the end it doesnt make a grain of difference. Hell, if theyre really worried they should look into Prodrive's dealings in GT racing and WRC.

2ndclasscitizen
11-03-2006, 03:44 PM
But why go on about Kia? Name one Ford that is a Kia. None. Simple fact, Holden sells cheap, nasty Koreans. Ford sells Europeans, among others. It's almost laughable that someone bring up a car that ford axed five or so years ago and apply it to 2006. I just showed you a Ford that is a Kia. Holden's Korean cars might be cheap and nasty, but that's all some people want. A car with 4 wheels and somewhere to sit that will get them from A to B. And a cheapo Korean Barina will fill that purpose. That don't want/need something fancy and European with the latest suspension technology for inreased roadholding, they just wanna get to work. Me, personally, I'd prefer something European, but if I had to buy something new with my money today, I'd be looking at something cheap and asian. (Probably a Kwaka :p!)

Holden are taking Koreans into the future. Ford has long left them in the past. Simple. You do of course realise that Korea is much more technologically advanced country than Australia, don't you?

fpv_gtho
11-03-2006, 07:55 PM
Korea also has a very strong reputation for underdeveloping their cars.

Blitz_
11-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Just a littlesidetracking, im still feeling the effects of no more Australia WRC in western australia, no longer can i enjoy a world class motoring event so close to home (15min drive up the hill) it really is a shame the government sold it off...for what you say? the red bull air race and a, hold your breathe, world frisbee competition.

Mr. Jinx
11-03-2006, 08:22 PM
The Air Race requires more balls :p

fpv_gtho
11-03-2006, 09:03 PM
To be honest, im just pissed QLD took so long organising the replacement event that we've been turfed from next years calender.

adrenaline
11-03-2006, 10:32 PM
You do of course realise that Korea is much more technologically advanced country than Australia, don't you?

They are much more fucussed on nukes then they are vehicles. Korea would have to be one of the worst in the world when it comes to the automotive sector (after China).

syko
11-03-2006, 10:52 PM
They are much more fucussed on nukes then they are vehicles. Korea would have to be one of the worst in the world when it comes to the automotive sector (after China).

Your thinking of North Korea, South Korea make cars not sucky nukes.

adrenaline
11-03-2006, 10:55 PM
Yes, but 2ndClass referred to Korea as a whole...

syko
11-03-2006, 10:57 PM
Yes, but 2ndClass referred to Korea as a whole...

I'm sure he was refering to part of which actually works.

adrenaline
11-03-2006, 11:00 PM
Actually he referred to them as a country, being more techno then we are...

syko
11-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Well as far as i know only South Korea produce cars so that make North Korea and there nukes redundent.

As far as technology goes they seem to be getting their shit together. Don't see how you can measure the level of technology though.

adrenaline
11-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Don't see how you can measure the level of technology though.

2ndClass obviously knows how to... :D

fpv_gtho
11-03-2006, 11:48 PM
Alright guys leave the personal stuff at the door on the way in...

Adrenaline, as a heads up South Korea is infinetly ahead of North Korea in almost everything except for the obvious, nuclear weapons. Next time someone simply says Korea, think South Korea.

adrenaline
11-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Alright guys leave the personal stuff at the door on the way in...

Adrenaline, as a heads up South Korea is infinetly ahead of North Korea in almost everything except for the obvious, nuclear weapons. Next time someone simply says Korea, think South Korea.

What was personal??

Volvoman
11-03-2006, 11:59 PM
the red bull air race and a, hold your breathe, world frisbee competition.

It seems as though there is a world competition for everything these days. But frisbee is just sad.