PDA

View Full Version : Saleen Intercooler Fix

dalton13
04-06-2004, 08:26 AM
Original Problem -
In the past 2 years since purchase, I have had intermittent issues with the battery light coming on when under SC load. I had issues such as a bad AC motor, and the smell of Radiator Fluid in the cabin, and aslo had the battery replaced. The battery light issue seemed to be resolved, but now lights up again while SC is engaged. I looked at the Intercooler Pump, and it seems to be leaking slightly, and when I tightened up the screws supporting it, and holding it together, the above issues went away for a week before reappearing. Anyone seen this type of thing before? Hopefully replacement of that Motor would help? Cost? Vendor if other than Saleen?

================================================== ====================
The Fix -
I thought I would touch base and let everyone know what the problem was. Just in case someone has this issue in the future.

After taking a close look at when, where, and how the Intercooler got so hot, I found several problems. The pump itself is loud and the tempurature gauge is hitting really high numbers. Even after topping off the fluids, it would only resolve the issue for a day. Once I climbed under the car, I began to notice that the Intercooler Pump had a slow leak. I drove around the block and hit the SC and came home to find the pump leaking heavily.

Long story short, the pump blew a seal, and would only cause problems under heavy SC load, especially if I am using the AC at the same time. Replacement pump arrived yesterday and I am changing that puppy out.

Hope this helps someone save the time I lost in troubleshooting.

mooseTSi
04-07-2004, 11:47 AM
intercooler pump? what would it be pumping?

TheOne
07-04-2004, 03:44 PM
the intercooler of the saleen is a water intercooler:) goes inside the intake manifold(cause its a roots supercharger).

how many horses that saleen doin?(rwhp)