PDA

View Full Version : V8 Atom

johnnyperl
11-09-2006, 04:12 AM
Hartley 2.8L V8 (using bike cylinders and heads)
375hp @ 10K rpm
210 lb-ft @ 6.5K
Ford MTX75 gearbox

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=218474&d=1163070234

johnnyperl
11-09-2006, 04:13 AM

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=218481&d=1163070828

IWantAnAudiRS6
11-09-2006, 04:28 AM
My God. That must be... unbelievably quick.

Egg Nog
11-09-2006, 04:56 AM
Oh man that is going to be cool.

Where can we find information on this "Hartley" V8? I've never heard of it, and a quick google search doesn't really help. Looks ridiculously sweet.

rev440
11-09-2006, 05:02 AM
Id imagine it has the same pistons and head as the ninja ZX14. It defiantly should be quick car.

D'ARTOIS
11-09-2006, 05:40 AM
It might be the fastest of the fastests, how would you keep it on the road?

jorismo
11-09-2006, 06:33 AM

He isn't. He's going to commit suicide but he wanted to do it on a special way :p

Sauc3
11-09-2006, 07:36 AM
For information see www.dpcars.net, it's a customer's specific order, not an as yet officially available engine spec.

The main reason for the V8 is because he is also having a similar engine in his own project car, the DP1, so an Atom is a perfect starting test-bed.

It's not road legal, it's going to be a track toy.

lightweight
11-09-2006, 10:16 AM
The most intriguing part of the website is the 700 lb / 300 hp / 4WD prototype!!!!

Slicks
11-09-2006, 11:28 AM
Amazing... only a matter of time now before an LS2 finds its way in there...

:Exige:
11-09-2006, 11:37 AM
Yes, once they widen the car by about 4 metres. The V8 they have put in is a fairly compact 2.8. From what I know, the LS2 isn't small at all.

taz_rocks_miami
11-09-2006, 12:30 PM

I don't see the advantage to that honestly. The LS2's weight would hurt the Atom's handling.

Quiggs
11-09-2006, 12:43 PM
In before this gets ugly.

The LS2 is not nearly as big as you all seem to think it is.

Edit: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-247771.html

LS1 = 383 pounds fully dressed. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the LS2 is very similar, since it's just the next generation motor.

Slicks
11-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Yes, once they widen the car by about 4 metres. The V8 they have put in is a fairly compact 2.8. From what I know, the LS2 isn't small at all.
Then you know very little, the LS2 is the same dimensions as the LS1, which is very small for a V8. I wouldnt be surprised a bit if it would fit right in.

Slicks
11-09-2006, 01:21 PM
I don't see the advantage to that honestly. The LS2's weight would hurt the Atom's handling.
Its hardly any heavier than the Honda 4 banger in it (actually, with the supercharger, the Honda 4 may be heavier than an LS2 (roughly 390lbs, and easily can be knocked down 50+lbs with lighter headers, which will also get you around 30-40hp)

Egg Nog
11-09-2006, 01:36 PM
Look, I'm a huge LS1/LS2 fan, but there's no way it can be compared in this situation. The bike-engined V8 probably weighs half of what it does, and the 4-cylinder definitely weighs significantly less as well, even with the supercharger. Keep in mind that even a 50kg difference is huge in a car of this mass, especially considering how far back in the car that it's mounted.

It doesn't seem like that great of an idea to have the huge torque of an LS2 in an Atom. Save those engines for Porsche 944/Mazda RX-7 swaps.

Slicks
11-09-2006, 02:05 PM
Look, I'm a huge LS1/LS2 fan, but there's no way it can be compared in this situation. The bike-engined V8 probably weighs half of what it does, and the 4-cylinder definitely weighs significantly less as well, even with the supercharger. Keep in mind that even a 50kg difference is huge in a car of this mass, especially considering how far back in the car that it's mounted.

It doesn't seem like that great of an idea to have the huge torque of an LS2 in an Atom. Save those engines for Porsche 944/Mazda RX-7 swaps.
Touche, but looking at the weights now, Honda's F20 is 350lbs(w/o the supercharger), the LS2 is only 40lbs heavier, which can be 'fixed' with some aftermarket headers.
Also now looking at dimensions, the LSx is just 4in longer, 7in taller, and 0.5in wider than the 2.8L V8, Im sure much less than anyone would expect.

johnnyperl
11-09-2006, 02:11 PM
For information see www.dpcars.net, it's a customer's specific order, not an as yet officially available engine spec.
thanks, forgot that in the original post. thats what happens at 3:30am

Quiggs
11-09-2006, 02:16 PM
Touche, but looking at the weights now, Honda's F20 is 350lbs(w/o the supercharger), the LS2 is only 40lbs heavier, which can be 'fixed' with some aftermarket headers.
Also now looking at dimensions, the LSx is just 4in longer, 7in taller, and 0.5in wider than the 2.8L V8, Im sure much less than anyone would expect.
And a blower, even a centrifugal, with all the extra plumbing and an intercooler (we're doing this the right way, right?) would add at least another 60 pounds.

And let's not start on that whole linear torque thing. :)

Waugh-terfall
11-09-2006, 02:36 PM
Veyron. Eat your heart out

11-09-2006, 04:02 PM
hey if the LS1 can fit in a Seven it can probably fit in this thing.

"Clevor" Angel
11-09-2006, 04:40 PM
I'm in love with this car!

Egg Nog
11-09-2006, 04:48 PM

Not sure where you got those figures. The dressed mass of the engines are:

F20C: 148kg (326 pounds)
LS2: 201kg (443 pounds)

The LS2 is lightweight and amazing engine, but it's definitely not as light as the 4-cylinder. The addition of the supercharger will bring it closer, but it's still not going to be as light. My favorite would still be the LS2 because of it's massive power/torque/efficiency, but I'd still argue that it's not really suited for this type of car. All that extra torque would just translate into rubber particulates ;)

Edit: I'm really not meaning to say that an LS2 Atom wouldn't be ridiculously awesome. It totally would be - in fact, someone should build one. Now. The fact that it doesn't make sense to overpower something doesn't detract from how wicked it is. :D

Jack_Bauer
11-09-2006, 04:56 PM
I have a question about the LSx engines...

Do they ever get used in transverse layouts in cars? People are talking like it'll be compatible with the Atom no problem because of its compact size/weight, but the major issue would surely be trying to find a suitable transaxle to fit the engine. I'm no expert on these engines, but all the ones I've seen use longitudinal layouts, usually FR. Trying to find a compact transaxle that would fit under the LSx engine and inbetween the Atom's relatively narrow wheelbase, and that would also be able to handle the torque would surely put the skids on the plan, would it not?

Therein lies the advantage of the Honda motor Ariel already use - it comes with a very compact and super-slick 6-speed transaxle straight out of the box. And with this RST V8 it's not blessed with humongous torque so doesn't need a big heavy duty gearbox. I just think the whole LS engine thing would be a whole lot of engineering headaches for not a lot of benefit, really can't see the point of anyone trying it.

Quiggs
11-09-2006, 04:56 PM
There's no such thing as too much horsepower.

clutch-monkey
11-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Edit: I'm really not meaning to say that an LS2 Atom wouldn't be ridiculously awesome. It totally would be - in fact, someone should build one. Now. The fact that it doesn't make sense to overpower something doesn't detract from how wicked it is. :D
New Zealand will do it. hell, they made an Sti ATV and a 400hp exige for shits and giggles, they'll jump at a chance to do that.

Egg Nog
11-09-2006, 05:30 PM
There's no such thing as too much horsepower.

OMG 3000hp VeyRoN

Quiggs
11-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Bwahahahahahhahahahahhaha...

So much torque it twisted the chassis coming off the line.

Slicks
11-09-2006, 05:39 PM
Not sure where you got those figures. The dressed mass of the engines are:

F20C: 148kg (326 pounds)
LS2: 201kg (443 pounds)

Bah, cant find the page now. It might have been weighed with fluids (although over 20lbs of fluids sounds a bit off...)
Here the LS1 weight:
http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/frame.html?/ChevySmallBlockV8s/LS1.html
390lbs out of crate.
Another:
http://www.toy-jet.ls1fun.com/about.html
Heres what Ive found for the LS2:
http://www.vestav8.com/FAQ.htm
"
The weight of the LS2 engine out of the crate with the heavy GM exhaust headers removed is 348 lbs. "
I think its safe to assume that its around 390lbs like the LS1 (which is basically the same engine), theres no way 2 headers close to 100lbs.

but I'd still argue that it's not really suited for this type of car. All that extra torque would just translate into rubber particulates ;)

I do agree.

Slicks
11-09-2006, 06:25 PM
I have a question about the LSx engines...

Do they ever get used in transverse layouts in cars? People are talking like it'll be compatible with the Atom no problem because of its compact size/weight, but the major issue would surely be trying to find a suitable transaxle to fit the engine. I'm no expert on these engines, but all the ones I've seen use longitudinal layouts, usually FR. Trying to find a compact transaxle that would fit under the LSx engine and inbetween the Atom's relatively narrow wheelbase, and that would also be able to handle the torque would surely put the skids on the plan, would it not?

Therein lies the advantage of the Honda motor Ariel already use - it comes with a very compact and super-slick 6-speed transaxle straight out of the box. And with this RST V8 it's not blessed with humongous torque so doesn't need a big heavy duty gearbox. I just think the whole LS engine thing would be a whole lot of engineering headaches for not a lot of benefit, really can't see the point of anyone trying it.

Its been done its just rare.
http://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/main.cgi
http://www.fastfieros.com/projects/tomkls1/tomkls1.htm
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/024804-34.html
http://public.fotki.com/8balls/car_stuff-1/ls1_fiero/

Kitdy
11-09-2006, 07:15 PM
I think the final product of this V8 Atom will be interesting anyways. I agree with Egg Nog above, trying to put huge crazy power in a car such as this is interesting and the chalenge will be: will the guys be able to make it work, and will the car actually perform well? I hope that the answer is yes, and I wish them good luck in their quest for insane speed.

aNOBLEman
11-11-2006, 09:23 AM
This will be one hell of a car when it's done. With the power, small proportions, and lightweight of that engine this will be one of the fastest and best handling Atoms around. That V-8 would be fun to stick in a Caterham CSR as well.

2ndclasscitizen
11-11-2006, 07:11 PM
That V-8 would be fun to stick in a Caterham CSR as well.That's been sort of done before. I remember there was a company that made an SV with a 'Busa V8 + 6spd sequential and slightly modified chassis/bodywork to make it a little wider around.

aNOBLEman
11-11-2006, 07:29 PM
That's been sort of done before. I remember there was a company that made an SV with a 'Busa V8 + 6spd sequential and slightly modified chassis/bodywork to make it a little wider around.

That would be awesome to see! :eek:

2ndclasscitizen
11-11-2006, 07:36 PM
Just looked like a yellow 7 SV IIRC. Nothing to special to look at, but to drive, probably :D! Though as it was the SV, probably not as good to drive as the CSR.

aNOBLEman
11-12-2006, 01:56 PM
Just looked like a yellow 7 SV IIRC. Nothing to special to look at, but to drive, probably :D! Though as it was the SV, probably not as good to drive as the CSR.

That's what I meant. :p :D