PDA

View Full Version : All New Mitsubishi Lancer (official sketch)

adrenaline
11-12-2006, 02:51 AM
All New Mitsubishi Lancer Sports Sedan at NAIAS

Text & Photo edited by F. de Leeuw van Weenen
Source: Mitsubishi Motor Corporation
11-10-2006

http://www.japanesecarfans.com/news/2061110.002/2061110.002.1M.jpg (http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsID/2061110.002/pageview/photo/photo/1/page/1/lang/eng/country/jcf/mitsubishi/all-new-mitsubishi-lancer-sports-sedan-at-naias)

Built on new global platform

Ninety years after starting car production (with the 1917 Model-A), Mitsubishi has embarked upon its most ambitious automotive project ever through the launch of its first global platform.

Known as "Project Global", and already successfully previewed with the second generation Outlander, it will be showcased at the 2007 North American International Auto Show in Detroit by its highest volume variant: the all-new 4-door Lancer sports sedan.

Dynamic

Designed at Mitsubishi Motors studios in Europe and Japan, the Lancer sports sedan shares its stunning design language with the much-acclaimed Mitsubishi Design Europe-penned 2005 Concept-X and Concept-Sportback show cars.

Its low stance, long hood / short deck proportions, wide track, trademark "shark nose" and distinctively deep set "eyes", all bring a new meaning to the concept of sports sedans - very much in line with both Mitsubishi's "Japanese Modern" design philosophy and its peerless credentials within 45 years of racing.

To be launched progressively in world markets from Spring 2007 (North America), the Lancer sports sedan will form a full family of cars with dynamic qualities to match their looks all across the range: from entry models (1.5 litre 110 ps engine in Europe) right up to the all-new Lancer Evolution supercar, including diesel power (Europe), a high performance 2.0 litre turbo gasoline version and other variants.

Global

Representing a multi-million dollar investment, "Project Global" will support the launch of several new Mitsubishi vehicles over the next few years, designed from the outset for world markets, i.e.: with the built-in flexibility required to accommodate regional needs and regulations as well as market trends and new customer demands in markets as diverse as Japan, North America, Russia, Asia-Pacific and Europe.

As a further evidence of its adaptability, models from business partners DaimlerChrysler A.G. - with which it was co-developed - and P.S.A. Peugeot Citroen* are / will also be based on this global platform.

Along those lines, "Project Global" will also enable the introduction of the "World Engine" family of powerplants. Co-engineered with DaimlerChrysler and Hyundai Motor Company, the engines to be used in Mitsubishi vehicles have been modified by the company for individual market and model use.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Concept X, anyone? IMO the sketch doesn't look bad at all.

whiteballz
11-12-2006, 03:06 AM
sex. on. wheels.

IBrake4Rainbows
11-12-2006, 03:16 AM
That nose - <spew>

it's never going to work well on base models - something they need to sell more of.

Street_Dreamer
11-12-2006, 03:43 AM
it doesn't need to work well on base models. They could make the Evo X stand out from the rest, maybe? :confused:
but i agree with whiteballz - sex on wheels :D

2ndclasscitizen
11-12-2006, 03:44 AM
I think the high-po versions will be important cars for Mitsubishi. I've always thought they should have better sub-evo performance models, something to line up against the WRX. Bring back the GSR nameplate. The VRX nameplate never really cut it for me. Plus, those sort of models as well as luxury models are the ones private buyers will go for, rather than just fleet sales of povo-pack models.

IBrake4Rainbows
11-12-2006, 03:49 AM
I've yet to see a Lancer Sedan not owned by the government, actually. most of the lancers i see are tarted up coupe's.

perhaps theres a problem - they don't have a coupe, and thus those private buyers who want a fully sick car have to buy a sedan which looks dorky......

still, I'll wait till i see it in the flesh before passing judgement. i will say that bold styling off the bat makes for terrible facelifts.

2ndclasscitizen
11-12-2006, 04:28 AM
I've yet to see a Lancer Sedan not owned by the government, actually.
The new one's, yes, but the CE sold very, very well. I have one.

P4g4nite
11-12-2006, 07:35 AM
Will it come with those 40 inch wheels standard or will that be an option?

NSXType-R
11-12-2006, 01:18 PM
I've yet to see a Lancer Sedan not owned by the government, actually. most of the lancers i see are tarted up coupe's.

perhaps theres a problem - they don't have a coupe, and thus those private buyers who want a fully sick car have to buy a sedan which looks dorky......

still, I'll wait till i see it in the flesh before passing judgement. i will say that bold styling off the bat makes for terrible facelifts.

Which gives them more of a reason to bring an Evolution coupe to Mitsubishi.

While you're there, why not bring a 22B back to Subaru?;)

11-12-2006, 03:51 PM
nice and agressive but the grills too prominent and doesn't go well with the rest of the car

Quiggs
11-12-2006, 04:01 PM
What are those, 26's?

IVEgotTHEblues
11-12-2006, 04:05 PM
hope it looks like the concept-x introduced earlier

h00t_h00t
11-12-2006, 05:06 PM
It looks like a more aggressive R34 Skyline.

digitalcraft
11-12-2006, 09:58 PM
And the middle bumper part isn't black! Yesssssss

clittle
11-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Nice. Seriously looks like the Concept they had for the X... I'm gonna like this one.

Kitdy
11-13-2006, 12:15 AM
You know, I am not much of an import fan, and I usually dislike how many Japanese cars look - but respect how they perform. However, I think that that sketch is pretty sweet and am willing to bet that it will be a good overall package.

lightweight
11-17-2006, 04:07 PM
First driving impression of the new model

http://news.windingroad.com/auto-news/we-drive-the-new-mitsubishi-lancer-just-dont-ask-us-about-it/

jediali
11-17-2006, 04:58 PM
could it be the first hansome evo?

Blitz_
11-18-2006, 01:42 AM
Sketches are just that, and when you consider the base models will be rolling on, say 16's, then slap some door handles, stanadard ride height and all of the other mumbo jumbo, it won't look so crash hot. Looks more promosing than the current model though.

SupraMan22
11-18-2006, 10:56 PM
looks like an eclipes on roids. i like it though. :)

adrenaline
12-11-2006, 06:57 AM
2008 Lancer Revealed

http://www.japanesecarfans.com/news/2061211.004/2061211.004.1M.jpg

Faithful to the previously released sketch, Lancer will bring the dynamic lines of the show-stopping Mitsubishi Concept-X and Concept-Sportback to the showroom. Both unveiled in 2005, they hinted not only at the next generation Mitsubishi compact sports sedans, but also at the next evolution of its design language.

This is readily apparent in Lancer’s front face. Whilst concepts (CZ2, Tarmac Spyder, Pajero* Evolution, etc,…) or production cars (Colt, current Lancer, Grandis, new Outlander etc,…) have clearly established the triangle-shaped 3-Diamond logo as the focal point, the recent US-only Eclipse and Raider brought a first evolution with a larger inverted gaping grille inspired by jet fighters´ air intake. Split into two separate elements (chrome-ringed for the upper part) this Lancer sports sedan grille goes one step further, staging Mitsubishi’s logo at the centre of a new and very iconic front face, highlighted by Concept-X and Concept-Sportback’s trademark shark nose and deep set “eyes”.

The new Lancer sports sedan uses a larger body than the current model, with an overall length of 4570 mm (35 mm longer), overall width of 1760 mm (65 mm wider), overall height of 1490 mm (60 mm taller) and wheelbase of 2635 mm (35 mm longer) is based on MMC’s “Project Global” platform, a new flexible architecture that also forms the foundation of the new Outlander.

With its sharp handling and 35 year Lancer sporting credentials, it will be in Europe a new alternative for customers of desirable, heritage-proud, non-mainstream brands in the C-segment: not premium, but different and legitimate.

To be launched in Europe from the fourth quarter of 2007, the Lancer sports sedan family will progressively expand to offer a complete line-up. Split into 4 powertrain levels (entry, mid-range, upper-range and supercar), it will propose 5 different engines, including the VAG-supplied 140 ps – 2.0 l Common Rail Diesel already fitted to Grandis Di-D and Outlander Di-D.

For the North American market, the powertrain mates a new high output (152 hp) low emission 2.0-liter DOHC MIVEC*1 engine to a 6-speed SportronicR CVT*2 transmission. This is the first Mitsubishi vehicle destined for the North American market to offer a CVT. Some trim levels are offered with steering wheel mounted paddle shifters that allow the driver to shift gears manually without taking his hand off the wheel. Delivering outstanding economy and environmental performance, the driveline is complemented by an equipment and appointments specification that elevates driving enjoyment to a new level in a total package that satisfies all the requirements for a next-generation sport sedan.

*Montero in Spain / Shogun in the UK

Key Dimensions:

Wheelbase: 2,635 m

Length: 4,570 m
Height: 1,490 m
Width:1,760 m

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2006/12/lancer_04.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2006/12/lancer_03.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2006/12/lancer_06.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2006/12/lancer_02.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2006/12/lancer_05.jpg

Not all that exciting, IMO.

jediali
12-11-2006, 07:31 AM
i think the IX looked better....shame really...plus Dodge are apparently getting to use this platform too, meaning its no longer bespoke.

TVR IS KING
12-11-2006, 08:07 AM
Wow...You can bet the sports models will look fantastic, but this is kinda vulgar.
The fronts too high and the backs too flat!

Blue Supra
12-11-2006, 03:23 PM
I love it!

Whens it due to be released here in Aus?

Timeh
12-11-2006, 03:43 PM
Looks good! That rear end doesn't really appeal to me though...

Zytek_Fan
12-11-2006, 05:05 PM
After retiring from WRC after 2005, Mitsubishi admitted it was a mistake to pull out of WRC, so I think we'll see a comeback in a few years time, maybe 2008...