PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Tacoma X-Runner

ENZOMAN
04-07-2004, 04:06 PM
This thing is awesome...

4.0 litre V6 6 speed
240 horse power
275 torque

toyota claims it has great power, the X-Runner makes use of the 4.0-liter V6 already found in the 4Runner sport-utility. Here, it's rated for 240 horsepower and 275 pound-feet of torque, and hooked up to a six-speed manual transmission. The 60-mph mark is said to come around in just 7 seconds. For those who require more, Toyota will offer a fully warranted TRD supercharger that raises horsepower to an even 300, while shaving "more than an additional second" off the 0-60 time. Handling should also be impressive, as Toyota claims the X-Runner can pull off 0.9g of lateral acceleration on the skid pad. Company executives even had the audacity to say that the truck's handling characteristics were benchmarked against Nissan's 350Z sports car
performance and handling

ENZOMAN
04-07-2004, 04:07 PM
one more pic...

whiteballz
04-08-2004, 04:00 PM
nice pics nice car... any info?

whiteballz
04-08-2004, 04:02 PM
let me rephraze that: have you got any 0-100 times (or 0-60 mph) etc?

ENZOMAN
04-08-2004, 06:00 PM
let me rephraze that: have you got any 0-100 times (or 0-60 mph) etc?

nope, in all the sites i went to, none had any performance figures yet, sorry

fpv_gtho
04-08-2004, 06:58 PM
i rather the X runner concept toyota australia came up with that was a ute version of the avalon

Spastik_Roach
04-10-2004, 08:15 PM
Hey! Thats just liek how the Ford Falcon has a ute counterpart, is that what its aimed at?

fpv_gtho
04-10-2004, 08:45 PM
it was merely a demonstration by toyota australia that they had the R and D facilities to come up with their own products and didnt have to rely 100% on Japan. the sportivo concept is the same philosophy

DodgeNitroBIRM
04-11-2004, 12:06 AM
it was merely a demonstration by toyota australia that they had the R and D facilities to come up with their own products and didnt have to rely 100% on Japan. the sportivo concept is the same philosophy

And 100% proof that Ford and Dodge are still more powerful and always will be. :cool: The 'yota needs a Supercharged V-8! :D

Spastik_Roach
04-11-2004, 01:23 AM
Whats it have to do with Dodge?

We have a fanboy on our hands

fpv_gtho
04-11-2004, 04:28 AM
And 100% proof that Ford and Dodge are still more powerful and always will be. :cool: The 'yota needs a Supercharged V-8! :D

100% proof that you dont know what your talking about. dodge and ford have nothing to do with the X-runner concpet toyota australia came up with.

IBrake4Rainbows
04-11-2004, 04:34 AM
The X-Runner concept from Toyota Oz was actually not that bad looking or sounding (As in what they said it could do) car. People like Nitroturd are from the mindset that foreign cars will never be truly accepted into the domain of the "Real American Truck" which most US manufacturers earn most of their profits from, now things like the Nissan Titan are cutting into this market, as it the Tacoma, this tacoma is cutting into the F-150 SVT Lightning market, and granted, it may have a way to go yet, but think of how much Japanese cars have progressed over 20 years or so, not only in tech but in Mindset of the public.

fpv_gtho
04-11-2004, 04:38 AM
well even Hyundai are considering entering an SUV-truck into the American market. and i thought their brand image couldnt get any worse.......

IBrake4Rainbows
04-11-2004, 04:41 AM
In America Hyundai have a slightly better reputation than in Australia, simply because americans love a good bargain, and Hyundais are just that, you do get a lot of car for your money. The Move to the Truck market would actually be smart for them, even if they have missed the boat on it slightly....

fpv_gtho
04-11-2004, 04:45 AM
i think i read somewhere that the reason Hyundai get away with $13,990 drive away price tags, is when some big player on the market like toyota or nissan put 3 years development on a car, Hyundai scribble out "years" and put in "months", thats a bit exaggerated but still, ive heard of them only spending 8 months on certain cars

IBrake4Rainbows
04-11-2004, 04:49 AM
As if they spend 8 months on a car! you couldn't get a scooter developed in that time. But i would imagine they would be consistantly doing about 18-24 months, which for most manufacturers is considered really good.

They also get away with $13,990 drive away by using cheaper construction materials, thinner glass, more part sharing etc...

fpv_gtho
04-11-2004, 04:55 AM
well anythings possible these days......i cant remember where i saw that bit about the 8 months but it probably was BS, at least you'd want it to be. the consumer ultimately gets the rough end of the deal when it comes to Hyundai putting their cars on the market, yet they still consistently win the "australia's best cars awards" that the NRMA, RACQ etc give away for the small category.

IBrake4Rainbows
04-11-2004, 05:00 AM
i don't trust those Best Car Awards Anyway, why give it to A Hyundai Getz when cars like the Honda Jazz show some real innovation in the class? unless there spending more than they earn.....

Also those awards are given to Subarus a lot, and i think the old Honda Accord (Correct me if i am wrong) recieved one for best luxury under $57,000?

fpv_gtho
04-11-2004, 05:04 AM
theyre always tainted in one way or another, i'd be surprised if they actually hopped into the cars and drove them or went off what the manufacturers told them about them. im not sure about the accord, but i agree with the RX-8, futura and M3 getting awards this year and the XT and XR6T getting awards last year. all the others i either cant remember or am against, like the accent getting one this year

IBrake4Rainbows
04-11-2004, 05:08 AM
Awards from Insurers are given for 2 reasons
1: a lot of people buy this car, meaning a lot of people insure it
2: it's an expensive car to insure
easy!

Nildo
04-12-2004, 06:51 PM
The RACQ awards are always best taken with a grain of salt. I think that too much emphasis is placed on the wrong things in many categories. One of the reasons the Hyundai's always do well in the smaller categories is because price (or value, which isn't the same thing but is used interchangably in these awards) is considered critical. I think it is funny, as they are cheap to buy, but nothing is mentioned of long term reliability. How is it cheaper to pay $3000 less for a Korean car in the first place, but spend $4000 more fixing it's various problems over the subsequent 5 years?

Back to the X-Runner....

I don't really like the American truck thing. It always seemed to be another expression of the excesses our consumer based societies consider mandatory to validate themselves. (Yeah, whatever). But seriously, I prefer utes and the Aussie X-Runner. I will admit that I do like the look of this new truck.