PDA

View Full Version : SLR-Like Camera?

Revolution
11-30-2006, 11:08 PM
Recently I've been looking to replace my Nikon Coolpix point and shoot with something a little better and more advanced. There are quite a few SLR-like cameras popping up around the market, which seem to offer some of the more advanced options of true SLR cameras but without the hassle of interchangable lenses or the mammoth price.
Ideally I'd like it to be fairly cheap, preferably under $500 AUD. It should be a big-zoom style lens, with shutter speed, aperture, ISO etc all adjustable.
One which has caught my eye is the Fujifilm Finepix S5600 (S5200 in America I believe), which looks like a pretty good camera for only about $350 AUD, any opinions on it or recommendations on something better?

johnnynumfiv
11-30-2006, 11:21 PM
I'd recommend the canon S3 IS, 6mp, 12x zoom, fully manual operation to fully automatic. Not sure on the price in AUD.

Revolution
11-30-2006, 11:31 PM
The S3 IS tends to be a bit out of my pricerange. If you look around, it can be had for as cheap as $550, but ranges anywhere up to $750. :\

charged
12-01-2006, 02:07 AM
Ive been looking at a 6mp+, 10x+ didg cameras as well.

heres a website for more info
http://www.dpreview.com/

HTH
Cheers

drakkie
12-01-2006, 02:46 AM
I can really recommend my Fuji Finepix S5600. It matches your description perfectly and can be bought for 250-300€ :)

Piacki_117
12-01-2006, 10:57 AM
I'd say a Panasonic DMC-FZ7, or FZ30 (I think you can get a reduction on the FZ30, since it's no longer made) ; or a Sony DSC-H5. According to some reviews, the lens quality of the Fuji S5600 isn't very very good.

zeppelin
12-01-2006, 02:04 PM
Sony DSC is definitely a good choice, I looked into it a lot before ultimately deciding to go DSLR. For prosumer however, the Sony won me over.

Revolution
12-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the responses.
It turns out I might just be able to stretch to the S6500fd, which offers a few good features that the 5600 lacks, such as manual zoom and focus rings, ISO up to 3200 (probably unusable, but its nice to know its there, I tend to do a bit of night photography) and the higher 6.3mpx sensor.
My current Nikon Coolpix 5600 is a 5.1mpx point and shoot, and whilst its done a great job, I find myself wanting more than the almost fully automatic settings it offers.
@Charged - Thanks for the link, its a very useful site when it comes to choosing a camera :)
@Piacki - I had a look at both of them, and unfortunately the FZ30 is still way out of my pricerange, with Australian prices starting at the $750-800 mark. The FZ7 looks like a good camera with alot of features, I'll look into it some more.
@Zeppelin - I must be honest and say I don't really like the design of the DSC range much, despite the good features, and another turn-off is the fact that is uses Sony Memory Stick, which is not compatible with my card-reader.

Waugh-terfall
12-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1
I'm gonna start saving for one soon.
Sony's seem to be pretty good, I'm very pleased with my Cyber-shot DSC-W70black

although it's a pain that it doesn't come with a Sony MemoryStick PRO DUO...

At least I have a new Sony Vaio laptop with a built-in MagicGate, VERY usefull!

zeppelin
12-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the responses.
@Zeppelin - I must be honest and say I don't really like the design of the DSC range much, despite the good features, and another turn-off is the fact that is uses Sony Memory Stick, which is not compatible with my card-reader.

Fine, whatever. See if I care. Last time I try to help someone out.

Just kidding, it's all about what suits your needs best and is most comfortable. Check out a local camera store with your potential choices and test them out, talk to the staff. Most good places (i.e. not Best Buy) know what they're talking about and can be loads of help.

The_Canuck
12-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Most good places (i.e. not Best Buy)

Hahaha Quiggs :p