PDA

View Full Version : Most Powerful Diesel Engine

mehrshadvr4
12-09-2006, 03:16 PM
http://people.bath.ac.uk/ccsshb/12cyl/

Maximum torque: 5,608,312 lb/ft

Rockefella
12-09-2006, 03:18 PM
I think this is a repost, but, it's still pretty damn impressive.

hercmostar
12-09-2006, 03:20 PM
I wonder how big that turbocharger has to be? Hmmmm...

car_fiend
12-09-2006, 04:02 PM
ya, i remember this was posted, but it was posted quite a while ago, so i guess for the new members to c...eh. ne ways ya, very impressive.

ZeTurbo
12-09-2006, 04:26 PM
What gets to me is how efficient it is despite its large size.

hercmostar
12-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Some ricer will try fit it in his Skyline...

Edit: Simular to this: (Warning: Don't try this at home!)

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/1199/bidskylinemf7.jpg

jediali
12-09-2006, 05:16 PM
i worked on a ship and i seen a 20,000hp 2 stroke twin turbo 6 cyl diesel every day, it had a capacity of around 20,000 litres and ran at 90rpm. stroke was over 2 metres, bore was about 620mm. This engine (and 3 other smaller 2000hp diesel generators) consumed about 50 tonnes of marine diesel oil (lowest in the distilaation process) a day. quite a noisy brute

cmcpokey
12-09-2006, 05:48 PM
that stuff those engines use is barely refined crude... we use better stuff than that in our ships. the one i am going to uses jet fuel. most of those huge diesels they don't like to accelerate, just start going one speed, then stay there.

hec16
12-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Some ricer will try fit it in his Skyline...

Edit: Simular to this: (Warning: Don't try this at home!)

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/1199/bidskylinemf7.jpg
jajaja maybe not on a skyline but I bet you some idiot did tought about it in a Honda CRX:D

"Clevor" Angel
12-09-2006, 10:29 PM
Gives a whole new meaning to the term "engine building".

jediali
12-10-2006, 01:58 AM
that stuff those engines use is barely refined crude... we use better stuff than that in our ships. the one i am going to uses jet fuel. most of those huge diesels they don't like to accelerate, just start going one speed, then stay there.

if it uses jet fuel, it aint a big diesel its probably a gas turbine, as for where marine fuel oil come from:
http://www.iupac.org/didac/Slide%20Images/Didac%2002/Thumbs/D2%20P01.jpg

The MV Brasil Star i was on had no gearbox or intermediate drive, the engine just powerd the prop. But the engine had several speeds ranging from 1 to 22 knots. The ship is a reefer (refridgerates) so uses a lot fuel cooling the cargo so a fast ship uses more less because it refridgerates for shorter periods.

cmcpokey
12-10-2006, 08:50 AM
if it uses jet fuel, it aint a big diesel its probably a gas turbine, as for where marine fuel oil come from:

The MV Brasil Star i was on had no gearbox or intermediate drive, the engine just powerd the prop. But the engine had several speeds ranging from 1 to 22 knots. The ship is a reefer (refridgerates) so uses a lot fuel cooling the cargo so a fast ship uses more less because it refridgerates for shorter periods.

correct on the gas turbine. i am going to a frigate, the USS TAYLOR, powered by 2 GE LM2500 gas turbines. i am actually at school in Rhode Island right now learning how to run them.

not having reduction gears is crazy to me, but then again, our engines spin at a lot higher RPMs.

jediali
12-10-2006, 08:56 AM
correct on the gas turbine. i am going to a frigate, the USS TAYLOR, powered by 2 GE LM2500 gas turbines. i am actually at school in Rhode Island right now learning how to run them.

not having reduction gears is crazy to me, but then again, our engines spin at a lot higher RPMs.

sounds like you will have a great time. yes gas turbines spin very fast and gain torque through reduction gearing wheras big diesels have a fair amount at the flywheel.

cmcpokey
12-10-2006, 09:00 AM
its like a 450 foot speedboat. much faster than the boiler powered ship i am coming from.

jediali
12-10-2006, 09:04 AM
yes, do you know the fuel consumption (tonnes/day) out of interest?

johnnynumfiv
12-10-2006, 09:11 AM
yes, do you know the fuel consumption (tonnes/day) out of interest?

SPY!!!!

cmcpokey
12-10-2006, 09:12 AM
i dont know as of yet, and if i did, i am pretty sure its confidential. but its not very efficient. typically the ship will operate on only one engine, both are not necessary except to go really fast.

jediali
12-10-2006, 09:13 AM
SPY!!!!
<screw silencer to pistol and shoots johnynumfiv>

johnnynumfiv
12-10-2006, 09:15 AM
<screw silencer to pistol and shoots johnynumfiv>
<Blows jediali's head off with shotgun while he's fiddling with his pea shooter>

cmcpokey
12-10-2006, 09:20 AM
<Blows jediali's head off with shotgun while he's fiddling with his pea shooter>
all this while i train my 76mm gun at you both

jediali
12-10-2006, 09:21 AM
james bond and his silenced pp7 never lose

johnnynumfiv
12-10-2006, 09:21 AM
all this while i train my 76mm gun at you both
Cheater. I would be really scared if you were using the 16" battleship guns.:D

cmcpokey
12-10-2006, 09:24 AM
Cheater. I would be really scared if you were using the 16" battleship guns.:D
so would i....

jediali
12-10-2006, 09:26 AM
i dont know as of yet, and if i did, i am pretty sure its confidential. but its not very efficient. typically the ship will operate on only one engine, both are not necessary except to go really fast.

thanks. i asked because the fuel consumptions can be phenomenal! the diesel i worked on was 60% thermal ly efficient (cars are only 25-35) yet it drank 50 tonnes a day, which only allowed 20 days range for us!

cmcpokey
12-10-2006, 09:31 AM
my last ship, an Austin class LPD, used 600psi boilers, powered by F44 DFM, and it had a phenomenal range, we could get from the US to the Indian Ocean, by way of the Med and Suez, on one tank of gas. Thats really far for a navy ship. But this new one is much smaller, and if you practice good fuel economy, i think it can go from the suez all the way home, but that would be about the max.

drakkie
12-10-2006, 10:36 AM
I have been lucky enough to have seen those engines as well :) When my grandfather still worked at one of the largest shipyards in the world,i went along sometimes. For a kid it is all very impressive :) I cant remember exact sizes and stuff,but it was the then 2nd largest ship in the world,some container vessel.
Those machines are absolutely amazing :D

most of those huge diesels they don't like to accelerate, just start going one speed, then stay there.

True. Very nice example perhaps here:
In port they remove the drive from the prop through some system. The engine will typically remain running on the largest vessels in the world. I have seen the 5 largest ones and they all were unloadng with running engines. Apparently doing this is cheaper as to stop/restart the engine. Perhaps one of you two can explain this a bit more ?

This is a VERY simplified scheme. I checked and marine fuel uses 2 of these distilling colloms. Tarmac and such comes from all but mainly the first "crack-collom" . For car diesel 3 or sometimes 4 stages are required with 2 heaters. Petrol 5-7 with 4 heaters. Kerosine even more.

johnnynumfiv
12-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Drakkie, marine engineer and fuel expert.

Mr.Tiv
12-10-2006, 10:54 AM
Drakkie, omniscient Dutch God.
Correction

johnnynumfiv
12-10-2006, 11:08 AM
Correction
Very true.

jediali
12-10-2006, 01:56 PM
Drakkie, marine engineer and fuel expert.
he is on his way

johnnynumfiv
12-10-2006, 01:58 PM
he is on his way
To world domination?

jediali
12-10-2006, 03:20 PM
to knowledge domination!

Quiggs
12-10-2006, 03:24 PM
This thread is full of lies. The most powerful diesel engine in the world is the little brother to the most powerful gasoline engine in the world.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/1/10/250px-VAG_1.9_TDI_engine.jpg
1.9TDI can nevAr loose?

jediali
12-10-2006, 03:26 PM
This thread is full of lies. The most powerful diesel engine in the world is the little brother to the most powerful gasoline engine in the world.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/1/10/250px-VAG_1.9_TDI_engine.jpg
1.9TDI can nevAr loose?

the 1.9tdi sounds like repeating hammer

LotusLocost
12-10-2006, 03:39 PM
In port they remove the drive from the prop through some system. The engine will typically remain running on the largest vessels in the world. I have seen the 5 largest ones and they all were unloadng with running engines. Apparently doing this is cheaper as to stop/restart the engine. Perhaps one of you two can explain this a bit more ?

It's most likely the power generators that you heard.
Ships have separate engine to generate electricity.

Top 5 biggest ships in the world will certainly take some days to unload,
and I don't think the stop/restart theory holds for that amount of time.

Though I stand to be corrected..

jediali
12-10-2006, 03:54 PM

your sort of right. most ships have a main engine (if its on the ship moves, if not it stpos) and generating auxilary engines (2-4 usually) for electricity, refridgeration, (un)loading cranes etc. Furthermore the steam required for heating fuel for engines is produced in a diesel oil (not marine diesel oil) bolier.( this job is done by main engine exhaust gas boiler when ship is moving).:)

johnnynumfiv
12-10-2006, 04:03 PM
the 1.9tdi sounds like repeating hammer
Yes it does. My mom's new TDI beetle is very loud compared to her old '01 tdi, I wonder what the difference is.

jediali
12-10-2006, 04:06 PM
its because VW dont use common rail fuel injection, they use "pump-duse". ie unit injectors. The fuel injection pressure is not generated by a single continous pump (common rail) it is pressurised every time an individual injector is triggered for injection, therefore it is engineering sense to realise that fast pressure changes makes lots of noise.:D

common rail:
http://www.kfztech.de/images/kfztechnik/diesel/commonrail.gif

unit injectors (see spring for fuel compression):
http://www.boschautoparts.co.uk/images/product/pcDies/pcDies6.jpg

cmcpokey
12-10-2006, 06:24 PM

they actaully are unloaded in a relatively short time, a matter of hours, up to a day. mostly computer controlled, with the exception of the gantry operator. fascinating to see.

the commercial terminal is just up river from norfolk naval station, so we got to see all the huge Maersk, Evergreen, etc. ships going past. passing one of them in a tight channel is always entertaining.

NSXType-R
12-11-2006, 01:52 PM
When you can fit into a cylinder, I'd say that's pretty nuts. :D

That's freking huge. Cool stuff.

henk4
12-11-2006, 01:59 PM
its because VW dont use common rail fuel injection, they use "pump-duse". ie unit injectors. The fuel injection pressure is not generated by a single continous pump (common rail) it is pressurised every time an individual injector is triggered for injection, therefore it is engineering sense to realise that fast pressure changes makes lots of noise.:D

common rail:
http://www.kfztech.de/images/kfztechnik/diesel/commonrail.gif

unit injectors (see spring for fuel compression):
http://www.boschautoparts.co.uk/images/product/pcDies/pcDies6.jpg

the 2001 models also had pump jet injection.
VW has decided to phase out pump jets over the coming 5 years, and many Audis already have common rail engines, including the V12. They did so because emissions were more difficult to control, and most of all because they could not get the noise levels down enough for comfort.

henk4
12-11-2006, 02:01 PM
they actaully are unloaded in a relatively short time, a matter of hours, up to a day. mostly computer controlled, with the exception of the gantry operator. fascinating to see.

the commercial terminal is just up river from norfolk naval station, so we got to see all the huge Maersk, Evergreen, etc. ships going past. passing one of them in a tight channel is always entertaining.

Container ships never fully load or unload. They have multiple destinations and the cargo plan is optimised in such a way that turnaround time in ports is really limited to less than 12 hours.