PDA

View Full Version : Holden to export VE SS to US

TVR IS KING
01-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Up to 50,000 Holden Commodores a year will be exported to the US rebadged as Pontiacs in a second crack at the market first prised open by the Monaro three years ago.
http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0,20384,21032135-21822,00.html

clutch-monkey
01-10-2007, 12:55 AM
i thought the correct number was 30,000

Cyco
01-10-2007, 12:59 AM
30,000 was the number Bob Lutz gave and I posted 2 days ago......

IBrake4Rainbows
01-10-2007, 02:15 AM
Up to = 30,000.

As if they'd make/sell that many in the US.

motorsportnerd
01-10-2007, 03:11 AM
I'm surprised at those figures. I though that due to agreements with the automotive workers unions, only 15,000 cars could be imported by a US big 3 manufacturer?
Guess that is a voluntary figure, but I wonder if GM will face trouble from the unions?

adrenaline
01-10-2007, 07:00 AM
30,000 was the number Bob Lutz gave and I posted 2 days ago......

I remember him saying 50k.

BMW325
01-10-2007, 07:21 AM
If this means that they're killing off the Grand Prix and/or Bonneville and they're replacing it with the Holden, then thats great.

adrenaline
01-10-2007, 07:22 AM
IIRC the Grand Prix isn't getting the axe.

Timothy (in VA)
01-10-2007, 08:44 AM
The Bonneville was killed off a while ago, I believe. I think it'd be great to see the Commodore SS here as a Pontiac Bonneville, but from what I've heard, GM will drop that storied name in favor of Pontiac G8.

thatdbeme
01-10-2007, 06:31 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_G8

fpv_gtho
01-10-2007, 06:48 PM
I'm surprised at those figures. I though that due to agreements with the automotive workers unions, only 15,000 cars could be imported by a US big 3 manufacturer?
Guess that is a voluntary figure, but I wonder if GM will face trouble from the unions?

It was 18K, which held GM back from exporting both the Monaro and SS ute into America. As it turned out, the GTO's best figures were around 15K a year, so there still was room for the SS as a new El Camino.

Cyco
01-10-2007, 07:01 PM
Holden expects to export 30,000 Commodores annually, about half what it sells locally.

"We are seriously planning to import a lot of Commodore SS sedans as Pontiac G8s," Mr Lutz said, adding that Holden could export up to 50,000 Commodores a year if the model was priced correctly.

This is the statement - the plan is for 30,000 cars per year.

If things go well Lutz thinks there is the possibility for at most another 20,000.

The_Canuck
01-10-2007, 07:29 PM
There's a Pontiac dealer directly across the street, now Ill have something worth looking at ;)

fpv_gtho
01-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Other than your computer screen?

The_Canuck
01-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Other than your computer screen?
:( 'sniff

Don't make me bring up your post count!

Seriously though this is great news, finally a good looking RWD family car will be sold here. Might help the ailing Pontiac brand.

The_Canuck
01-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Just a question, what are the differences between the different Commodore models and what is the "VE" Commodore?

adrenaline
01-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Over here, cars are generally given a two letter prefix, such as VE. The 2005/6 model Commodore was a VZ, the one before that was VY, before that was VX...and so on.

The VE Commodore is special because it is an all new Commodore (On an all new Zeta architecture) And the fact that Holden spent more than a billion dollars making it perfect.

The differences between the models is equipment and power. The Omega and Berlina are separated by equipment/ safety features. Then the SV6 has a more powerful V6 and sports enhancements. The SS has a V8, as does the SS-V (a higher spec SS). The Calais and Calais-V are luxury models - the Calais V being uber luxurious.

www.holden.com.au

The_Canuck
01-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Over here, cars are generally given a two letter prefix, such as VE. The 2005/6 model Commodore was a VZ, the one before that was VY, before that was VX...and so on.

The VE Commodore is special because it is an all new Commodore (On an all new Zeta architecture) And the fact that Holden spent more than a billion dollars making it perfect.

The differences between the models is equipment and power. The Omega and Berlina are separated by equipment/ safety features. Then the SV6 has a more powerful V6 and sports enhancements. The SS has a V8, as does the SS-V (a higher spec SS). The Calais and Calais-V are luxury models - the Calais V being uber luxurious.

www.holden.com.au

Thanks man :) I had gathered most of it from the website but VE was confusing the hell out of me :p

thatdbeme
01-11-2007, 10:16 PM
for our uninitiated canuck friend, i guess to give you an idea the calais V V6 based on the exchange rate sells for about 49K canadian dollars, so your looking at chrysler 300C level luxury rather than say Merc S class luxury.

Daz27
02-17-2007, 12:25 AM
The VE Commodore is special because it is an all new Commodore (On an all new Zeta architecture) And the fact that Holden spent more than a billion dollars making it perfect...:D How do they explain all those nasty little recalls and being dubbed in the media as being :rolleyes: a lemon, if its so damn perfect?

adrenaline
02-17-2007, 04:25 AM
:D How do they explain all those nasty little recalls and being dubbed in the media as being :rolleyes: a lemon, if its so damn perfect?

How can anyone justify calling the car a lemon. It's the greatest car Australia has ever produced. Yes it has had minor recalls, and as a Ford fanatic a part of me loves to hear the competitors having to recall cars. Is it perfect? I say no. But it's bloody close.

2ndclasscitizen
02-17-2007, 04:56 AM
:D How do they explain all those nasty little recalls
And they're the first company ever to have to recall a few hundred or thousand new model cars

and being dubbed in the media as being :rolleyes: a lemon, if its so damn perfect?

What media? Stop reading the Telegraph.

SlickHolden
02-17-2007, 08:19 AM
:D How do they explain all those nasty little recalls and being dubbed in the media as being :rolleyes: a lemon, if its so damn perfect?
A recall is nothing to boast about for sure as it does make hard work look bad. But if we went back say 10 or more years it would never have been recalled for these problems because they just don't put up a fuss like they do now.
But as for a lemon i call anyone that says that a fool and that's fully unbiased that's speaking as a car guy 100%. Like adrenaline said it's not perfect nothing is we have all questioned it's base model power train on here and noone would defend the 180 engine and 4 speed auto as cutting the mustard in anything other then driving miss daisy driving style, But after that it just gets better and better.

How can anyone justify calling the car a lemon. It's the greatest car Australia has ever produced. Yes it has had minor recalls, and as a Ford fanatic a part of me loves to hear the competitors having to recall cars. Is it perfect? I say no. But it's bloody close.
Right on brother David;)

TVR IS KING
02-18-2007, 12:10 AM
Wow. This thread.

This reminds me of a VE Commodore. Am I the only one?
See that? That's me in the Pontiac G8 thread, surprised that it looks so much like a Commodore. I made this thread! But I completely forgot that it was being exported.
I need a catscan -.-

SlickHolden
02-18-2007, 03:07 AM
You **** head hahahahahahaha:D We have all done it lol no big deal just funny:D

adrenaline
02-18-2007, 03:20 AM
Wow. This thread.

See that? That's me in the Pontiac G8 thread, surprised that it looks so much like a Commodore. I made this thread! But I completely forgot that it was being exported.
I need a catscan -.-

I forgot about this thread. Which makes the thread that Daz27 recently made a double repost :p

His thread was deleted, so when he didn't see it I guess he did a long overdue search and found this one, bringing it back to life.

Falcon500
02-18-2007, 11:36 PM

Idividual cars can be dubbed a lemon but for the most part a most part i beleive in the 2 in 10 rule 1 is extremly good 8 are average and one was spewd from the pit of hell. Not a scientific explinations but it works most of the time.

The one that gets me is how the seats brake if you go over a speed bump too fast ive never heard anything like it since datsun 1200s of the 70s.....

And at the moment id prefer an SS over most things in the ford stable.

adrenaline
02-18-2007, 11:53 PM
Idividual cars can be dubbed a lemon but for the most part a most part i beleive in the 2 in 10 rule 1 is extremly good 8 are average and one was spewd from the pit of hell. Not a scientific explinations but it works most of the time.

The one that gets me is how the seats brake if you go over a speed bump too fast ive never heard anything like it since datsun 1200s of the 70s.....

And at the moment id prefer an SS over most things in the ford stable.

Individual cars, yes. However, it's pure stupidity to call a whole series 'a lemon', especially when it's these dick heads in the Daily Telegraph :)

And at the moment id prefer an SS over most things in the ford stable

Calais V > All Falcons (except the 'Phoon) :)

Zytek_Fan
02-19-2007, 12:43 AM
What the hell is with the The Matrix avatars right now? :p

adrenaline
02-19-2007, 01:30 AM
I've decided to theme my avatars for each month. This month is the Matrix :)

SlickHolden
02-19-2007, 01:39 AM
What the hell is with the The Matrix avatars right now? :p
what's wrong with the matrix? free your mind:)

adrenaline
02-19-2007, 02:23 AM
"If you're not one of us, you're one of them"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/ff/Matrix_Agents_(Second_Generaton).jpg/300px-Matrix_Agents_(Second_Generaton).jpg

Falcon500
02-19-2007, 04:15 AM
Individual cars, yes. However, it's pure stupidity to call a whole series 'a lemon', especially when it's these dick heads in the Daily Telegraph :)

Calais V > All Falcons (except the 'Phoon) :)

I rember a story about an audi drive day from a friend of mine i used to work with. They where testing the new awd v8 wagon audi (as6? Rs6? i dunno it was fast, v8, AWD, audi and wagon) and the people at the drive day where sent there to thrash this carand the journo from the telegraph putterd around like a pensioner going to church and the germa rally ace they had there went up to the windo and loudly annaounce "Get out of ze car get into the passenger seat! and fasten your seat belt!" went tearing through the course and left half the traffic cones teetering set a phenominal time and made the dude from the dayly telegraph turn white as a sheet and the german dude look at him and loudly declared "that is how it iz done NOW GO DO IT!"
that is a true story and 2 morlas are to be learned from it.

1 Germans do NOT have a sense of humor

2 no journos from the telegraph are even motoring enthusiest ask me to thrash an audi and I would do my best to land it on its lid :D j/k but you get what im saying right?

And calais nice car bit soft and auto i should been more specific I like the SS :p the rest can burn but i like the ss lol

Zytek_Fan
02-23-2007, 06:42 PM
I've decided to theme my avatars for each month. This month is the Matrix :)

Next month should be Donnie Darkko :D

TVR IS KING
02-23-2007, 07:19 PM
OR 2 Fast 2 Furious. Because it's such a good movie.

adrenaline
02-23-2007, 09:48 PM
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/224276/

This may be of interest.

2ndclasscitizen
02-23-2007, 11:39 PM
Vauxhall doesn't do things by half when they're giving the Poms Holden's, going straight to the VEs with the GTS

Zytek_Fan
02-24-2007, 12:34 AM
Might as well rip off the Pontiac emblems and stuff and put on Holden ones :D

SlickHolden
02-24-2007, 01:21 AM
Next month should be Donnie Darkko :D
Oh please no:o

fpv_gtho
02-24-2007, 03:30 AM
Vauxhall doesn't do things by half when they're giving the Poms Holden's, going straight to the VEs with the GTS

Well theyre going to need something to replace the VXR Monaro's, so it kinda makes sense theyre interested in the GTS

2ndclasscitizen
02-24-2007, 03:51 AM
Yeah, but they took the normal Monaro as well, haven't heard any mention of the SS going over there

Mr. Jinx
02-24-2007, 05:58 AM
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/02/geneva07opelconcept.jpg
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/22/geneva-preview-opel-planning-surprise-that-will-please-saturn-f/
Anyone else think this has an amazingly simillar silhouette to the VE?

IBrake4Rainbows
02-24-2007, 06:11 AM
The wheel arches are a close match, but it's had some work done on the front and mirrors. so i don't know what to think.

It's more than likely, at least from what the article is suggesting, that it's actually the new Vectra. so it's a smaller car that might just have taken styling cues from the VE, or even the Insignia concept from a little while back.

SlickHolden
02-24-2007, 08:44 AM
Seems like GM is taking cues from the VE now all over the place. About time to:p Live outside the box:)

Zytek_Fan
02-24-2007, 12:33 PM
Whatever happened to that Saturn that was supposed to be a rebadged Vauxhall VX220?

SlickHolden
02-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Heah you know what is funny, Many years ago i see that car with holden badges, This is a long time ago got me thinking who designed it and when?.

Ferrer
02-25-2007, 09:18 AM
Whatever happened to that Saturn that was supposed to be a rebadged Vauxhall VX220?
Has been replaced by the Sky. VX220/Speedster is out of production.