PDA

View Full Version : TVR Fighting back with new super car

matek
01-11-2007, 10:07 PM
New TVR Typhoon:

Extract from EVO:

"
Powered by a supercharged version of TVR's 4-litre straight-six, further developed by Ricardo to produce 600bhp and 500lb ft, the Typhoon will be the fastest production TVR ever, and at around £120,000 the most expensive too.
Built to celebrate the firm’s 60th anniversary, the car will be officially unveiled at the Geneva show in March. It will be built in strictly limited numbers and only in right-hand drive, the lucky 60 customers taking delivery during 2007.
The Typhoon is the first TVR to be designed entirely by CAD, a move which has brought substantial aerodynamic advantages, enabling the new car to easily exceed 200mph, according to company sources. Expect a sub-4sec 0-60 time, aided by an uprated limited-slip diff and the adoption of the T56 six-speed manual transmission as used by the Corvette.
Like lesser TVRs, the Typhoon has a tubular steel backbone chassis with an integral rollcage, but like the ill-fated T400R/T440R (just one was built) and the later Typhon (of which three were made) the body panels and floor are constructed from carbonfibre, helping keep weight down to 1100kg.
Behind the 19in alloys are six-pot AP Racing callipers up front, and although there’s no anti-lock or traction control, TVR is looking to fit both to future mainstream models – expect announcements later this year. Other trick details on the Typhoon include adjustable Bilstein dampers, carbon-shelled Sparco seats and even satnav!
The Typhoon’s chassis is much longer than that of a Tuscan, allowing the fitment of genuinely usable rear bucket seats, though the truncated tail means that it’s actually shorter overall than the Tuscan. However, TVR is confident it will be even more imposing, with its Ferrari 599-aping stance and aggressive front-end, the distinctive grille of which will be shared by all future TVRs.
At around £120K it will be competing head-on with cars as diverse as the Aston Martin DB9, Lamborghini Gallardo and Ferrari F430.

As you've read TVR is now going up in themarket which is pretty cool as long as they keep the lower end models :)

A query i do have is the vent on the side of the car they have the normal two panel vent from the door to the bonnet but they also added a little black one in front of it which for me ruins the flow of the lines??? why

matek
01-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Here are some pics:

Jack_Bauer
01-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Looks a LOT like the proposed Melling Hellcat (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25978&highlight=melling+hellcat) supercar from the front. That was the first thing that came to mind when I saw it, which isn't a great start for a company like TVR known for their individuality and originality.

http://www.wlct.org/trustnews/news%20images/hellcat2.jpg

The rear kinda looks like like the back end of the Vauxhall VX200 with those tail lights.

And the side view just looks a bit of a mess IMO. :(

matek
01-11-2007, 10:49 PM
What happened to the fluid agressive design that we all know and love?

hec16
01-11-2007, 11:47 PM
well I like the tail light but I'm not sure about the front of the car

TVRs4eva
01-11-2007, 11:58 PM
yea i'm personally not a fan, if they're going for a supercar look they should keep the beautiful flowing style of the speed 12, maybe mixed with the radical-ness of the sagaris. this is majorly disappointing, i don't think i'll be buying one :)

bruxell
01-12-2007, 12:20 AM
yea i'm personally not a fan, if they're going for a supercar look they should keep the beautiful flowing style of the speed 12, maybe mixed with the radical-ness of the sagaris. this is majorly disappointing, i don't think i'll be buying one :)
Speed 12=beautiful? Not that this doesn't look like crap...

Egg Nog
01-12-2007, 12:23 AM
They should really just put that engine into the Sagaris and call it a day. It's already a great-looking car with incredible originality. Why bother wasting more development costs when they've clearly already got an awesome supercar with a suitable chassis just waiting for more power? Especially at a company like TVR.

If they build this, it will be nothing but bad for the company.

jediali
01-12-2007, 02:04 AM
Al melling (the A in TVR'sAJP straight 6) developed the original engine, now hes building a new sports car - the Hellcat and it looks like the pictues above.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?f=23&t=272970
http://www.mcdeng.co.uk/html/profile.html

TVR IS KING
01-12-2007, 03:53 AM
Are those pics from TVR? Or just artists impressions? I would bet the second until I hear otherwise. I'll be waiting for March..Feb and March will be quite exciting for me ;)

jediali
01-12-2007, 05:15 AM
Are those pics from TVR? Or just artists impressions? I would bet the second until I hear otherwise. I'll be waiting for March..Feb and March will be quite exciting for me ;)
i have an inkling thats Al Mellings car, his long awaited V10 hellcat design

TVR IS KING
01-12-2007, 05:50 AM
It doesn't look the same...And why would it be on a TVR page?

jediali
01-12-2007, 05:57 AM
It doesn't look the same...And why would it be on a TVR page?

Al Melling's Hellcat looks very similar

:Exige:
01-12-2007, 06:01 AM
What next? TVR employing Chris Bangle? I've never had a bad thing to say about TVRs styling until now. This design is incohesive an just plain odd ... if the production car is like this, I will be very disappointed with TVR. Would most likely mark the very end of TVR.

Ferrer
01-12-2007, 06:34 AM
I don't like the styling, however this is just a rendering so I wouldn't worry. Still with the situation the company is going through I'm not holding my breath until I see the real deal.

sicilian973-2
01-12-2007, 07:32 AM
tvr sucks

Street_Dreamer
01-12-2007, 09:39 AM
TVR doesn't at all suck, i like the profile of this car, but just don't like the rest that much, but it won't look much like that, if they make it it'll look the balls, as all TVRs do. I think they need to go back to the good ol' days and put naked women on their cars at release! Hopefully TVR can come back stronger than ever.

derekthetree
01-12-2007, 09:56 AM
They should really just put that engine into the Sagaris and call it a day. It's already a great-looking car with incredible originality. Why bother wasting more development costs when they've clearly already got an awesome supercar with a suitable chassis just waiting for more power? Especially at a company like TVR.

If they build this, it will be nothing but bad for the company.

might not fit??

tvr sucks

and blows. and then the wheels go round ;)

jediali
01-12-2007, 10:33 AM
How can something suck and blow so much at the same time?
haha, TVR's are real bi-polarising cars!

Bob
01-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Okay excuse me if I'm wrong but no one has said this is the actual car. There's a 95% chance that those pictures came from evo and not TVR. Maybe I'm only saying that because I'm shocked that TVR would ever produce something like that.

VtecMini
01-12-2007, 12:03 PM
The roofline and the rear lights remind me of the Connaught Syracuse, though I'll be damned if I can find a side-on pic of it to prove my point.

I'll wait a little while longer for some more info before passing judgment. It's still vapourware as far as I can see.

ScionDriver
01-12-2007, 12:20 PM
I don't think its the best thing to come out of TVR but it isn't terrible. I have faith that the real thing will look a bit better.

h00t_h00t
01-12-2007, 05:07 PM
It'd be nice if they had somewhere to build it.

Cotterik
01-12-2007, 05:17 PM
I hate it. I hope this isnt what the russian has in mind for their design proposals. TVR is about swaying curves and original lines and these designs are straight lines like the latest ferrari's. Not good.

Egg Nog
01-12-2007, 05:37 PM
might not fit??

I doubt it. An added supercharger wouldn't take up that much space. I'm sure you could fit one in a Sagaris without making massive changes.

coolieman1220
01-12-2007, 07:29 PM
gotta love TVR styling!

rev440
01-12-2007, 08:39 PM
As a fan of the Tuscan Im disapointed. The tail lights look like there off a Nissan.

KonaGreen
01-12-2007, 09:08 PM
It's the Sagrais for me. That new car is just not as pretty or agressive as the current cars. It's well.... over designed?

01-12-2007, 09:21 PM
maybe the hellcat and typhoon are brand engineering?
But its hideous
the T400R/T440R/Typhon/Tuscan/Sagaris-well the rest of the modern TVRs looks much better

aNOBLEman
01-12-2007, 11:02 PM
This is NOT a step in the right direction for me, coming at a time when TVR needs something good. The first thing I thought when I saw this car was new Nissan Skyline and that Melling Hellcat. Thankfully these are most likely just artists renderings and I hope hope hope that TVR will make something much closer to the designs of their other modern cars, which IMO are some of the best looking cars around today (or even all time).

PerfAdv
01-13-2007, 12:13 AM
I actually like it.

I mean, it isn't immediately gorgeous looking but it is immediately recognizable as a TVR, which I think was a major design consideration. With the recent change in ownership and plans of building TVRs outside the UK, keeping the car looking familiar was a must. At the same time the shape has striking elements which tell of the changes at TVR. Sort of like saying, through design; this is the bold new TVR.

kingofthering
01-13-2007, 12:39 AM
tvr sucks
Thank you, and the line for narrow-minded idiots starts to your left.

clutch-monkey
01-13-2007, 01:18 AM
Thank you, and the line for narrow-minded idiots starts to your left.
you mean there's a line?
where does it go?? :eek:

Pando
01-13-2007, 03:40 AM
you mean there's a line?
where does it go?? :eek:
To the political threads obviously.

Matra et Alpine
01-13-2007, 03:51 AM
To the political threads obviously.
and I thought it was the "V8 into a Fiat Cinquecento" :)

Coventrysucks
01-13-2007, 05:18 AM
What happened to the fluid agressive design that we all know and love?

Kens Limos sacked the designers?

How're you finding Cov/TPD?

Are those pics from TVR? Or just artists impressions? I would bet the second until I hear otherwise.

They are "artists impressions" (CAD renderings) from TVR.

There's a 95% chance that those pictures came from evo and not TVR.

There's a 0% chance that those pictures came from evo.

Maybe I'm only saying that because I'm shocked that TVR would ever produce something like that.

I was more shocked by TVR turning itself into a car company with no facility to produce cars.

Would most likely mark the very end of TVR.

TVR "ended" on the 3rd of November 2006.

Rockefella
01-13-2007, 06:10 AM
TVR "ended" on the 3rd of November 2006.
Yeah, I thought TVR failed to exist at the moment..

Coventrysucks
01-13-2007, 06:55 AM
Yeah, I thought TVR failed to exist at the moment..

TVR still exists, technically, but the spirit of TVR is dead.

What happened was;

Kens Limos split TVR into several companies - One is in charge of design etc, one has the brand, and the IPR for all of their cars, and one was in charge of building the cars. (There may be some others, but I can't remember)

The one that built the cars was renamed "Blackpool Automotive", and with a move abroad in mind, Ken managed to get out of pesky inconveniences like - paying workers, suppliers, etc - by resigning as a director and promptly putting the company into administration. The latest news was that BA had been sold to someone, although who that is is currently unknown.

On the plus side, by law whoever bought the company should be paying the workers, which might be good as they haven't had any money since November.

There still seems to be some question over the cars that were "in build" when the factory closed - their "owners" haven't been told what is happening.

If TVR owns them, they may be released and finished off somewhere, if BA owns them, then it is difficult to see how they would be finished as there would be confusion as to whether they would be "TVR"s or not.

Meanwhile - with many customers in that limbo, Ken wants to appeal to even wealthier clientele...

There is to be a press conference in London on Wednesday.

Probably to announce their all new hover-car which runs on air and emits puppies and gold bullion by way of "pollution".