PDA

View Full Version : gto or 350z

rgibbs205
01-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Hi, Members! I've recently watched fast and the furious tokyo drift and I was thinking of buying a 2004 poniac gto but I liked the nissan 350z in the tokyo drift movie. Can the gto do what the 350z did in the fast and the furious tokyo drift movie? I mean drifting and horse power. You thought will help me decide on which car to get this year.

mclaren_crazy
01-14-2007, 03:18 PM
they are two compleatly different cars, one is a big heavy high horsepower sedan, while the other is a light agile coupe

Welcome to UCP

DesmoRob
01-14-2007, 03:23 PM
Get a 350Z. This shouldn't be a tough decision for you:p. One is cool, the other is not. Had they made the GTO with the style and purpose of the old ones, then there'd probably be some competition. Other than the fact that the GTO accelerates pretty decently, its got nothing going for it imo.

IWantAnAudiRS6
01-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Unless you're buying a 1965 Pontiac GTO, then get the 350Z.

clutch-monkey
01-14-2007, 03:26 PM
they are two compleatly different cars, one is a big heavy high horsepower sedan, while the other is a light agile coupe

Welcome to UCP
1500kg is not 'light'.
i'd go the 350Z with an APS kit.
or, i'd go the GTO and talk to one of the aftermarket shops in the US that fit OEM holden parts onto it, so it doesn't look like ass. GTO is more practical and faster, but ugly.

Ferrer
01-14-2007, 03:48 PM

Welcome to UCP
The GTO isn't a saloon.

The_Canuck
01-14-2007, 04:01 PM
2004 GTO, Is it the one with 400 horsepower, or less?

IWantAnAudiRS6
01-14-2007, 04:02 PM
The GTO isn't a saloon.
It counts as a "2-door-sedan", for some reason. It's based on the Commodore, IIRC.

Ferrer
01-14-2007, 04:07 PM
It counts as a "2-door-sedan", for some reason. It's based on the Commodore, IIRC.
Well yes, but the Monaro is a coupe, isn't it? Well at least so I tought. Anyway saloon or coupe it still is a muscle car.

2004 GTO, Is it the one with 400 horsepower, or less?
In 2004 the 6-litre (400bhp) GTO was introduced, altough apparently the 5.7-litre (340bhp) was still produced in 2004, which was its last year.

Slicks
01-14-2007, 04:09 PM
Hi, Members! I've recently watched fast and the furious tokyo drift and I was thinking of buying a 2004 poniac gto but I liked the nissan 350z in the tokyo drift movie. Can the gto do what the 350z did in the fast and the furious tokyo drift movie? I mean drifting and horse power. You thought will help me decide on which car to get this year.
Please tell me this is a joke...

Mr.Tiv
01-14-2007, 04:11 PM
Please tell me this is a joke...
sadly, I don't think it is.

The_Canuck
01-14-2007, 04:11 PM
In 2004 the 6-litre (400bhp) GTO was introduced, altough apparently the 5.7-litre (340bhp) was still produced in 2004, which was its last year.
Well then if its the 400bhp one, I'd go for that.

clutch-monkey
01-14-2007, 04:19 PM
is the GTO rarer as well?

The_Canuck
01-14-2007, 04:20 PM
Around here it would be...

cmcpokey
01-14-2007, 04:22 PM
Z's are evrywhere.. you dont see that many GTO's, maybe thats partly because they blend in so well.

NSXType-R
01-14-2007, 04:30 PM
I think it depends on you. The 350Z is sort of on the heavy side, but it's an altogether better product than the GTO. But, based on power, the GTO is way better.

rgibbs205
01-14-2007, 05:11 PM
Thanks you guys. Your thoughts have definetely made my decision easier. I felt the power of a v8 from a 2001 trans am. I was hooked. Thats why i asked about the gto against a nissan 350z. Even with the 350z suped up can it out do the gto? I wanted that power. I like the nissan 350z because to me it is a cooler looking car with a kit and I hope that I can achieve close to the gto's horsepower with engine work. I've wishe over a thousand times that american cars would acheive the same great-stylish looks as foreign cars because they already have the power. The gto is a great looking car but not as sleek and stylish as the 350z.

rgibbs205
01-14-2007, 05:13 PM
so the gto is all around better than the 350z?

clutch-monkey
01-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Thats why i asked about the gto against a nissan 350z. Even with the 350z suped up can it out do the gto?
that's a silly question. of course it can. depends on how much you want to spend.... the GTO will be much easier and cheaper to get more power out of.

I've wishe over a thousand times that american cars would acheive the same great-stylish looks as foreign cars because they already have the power.
the Monaro was a stylish looking car until pontiac uglified it.

The gto is a great looking car but not as sleek and stylish as the 350z.
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/1058/hsvcoupe403on1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
i guess it's personal preference, but i find the 350Z design a bit awkward from certain angles..

rgibbs205
01-14-2007, 05:17 PM
Thanks you guys. You all have really educated me on the two vehicles but please don't stop there, ok. I know that were running out of things to say about these to cars if we haven't already, but educate me as much more as you like.

Slicks
01-14-2007, 05:18 PM
Thanks you guys. Your thoughts have definetely made my decision easier. I felt the power of a v8 from a 2001 trans am. I was hooked. Thats why i asked about the gto against a nissan 350z. Even with the 350z suped up can it out do the gto? I wanted that power. I like the nissan 350z because to me it is a cooler looking car with a kit and I hope that I can achieve close to the gto's horsepower with engine work. I've wishe over a thousand times that american cars would acheive the same great-stylish looks as foreign cars because they already have the power. The gto is a great looking car but not as sleek and stylish as the 350z.
1.) Any engine can be tuned for some high power, but it takes money. The GTO would be easier, and less expencive to get high hp than a 350Z, it has a larger aftermarket (thanks to sharing the LS1/LS2).
2.) The GTO is as much "American" as the 350Z is. It's a Holden Monaro(australian car) with a pontiac grille.
3.)Please dont put any nasty body kits on your cars... ugh so tacky...

How much do you exactly have to spend? You can get a used C5 Z06 for under $30,000, 405hp LS6 and 3100lbs, it would run circles around these two cars.

Slicks
01-14-2007, 05:19 PM
so the gto is all around better than the 350z?
Go test drive both cars and decide which is better for you.

TVRs4eva
01-14-2007, 05:29 PM
dude, no offence, but i really don't think you wanna base the purchase of an automobile off of a low-budget movie on japanese drifting. go test drive them both (preferrably without drifting), and see which one fits YOU better, not which fits movie actors

clutch-monkey
01-14-2007, 05:33 PM
Thanks you guys. You all have really educated me on the two vehicles but please don't stop there, ok. I know that were running out of things to say about these to cars if we haven't already, but educate me as much more as you like.
uh..you can find the full specs of both cars on this very website. But as the others say, test drive both before deciding

01-14-2007, 06:38 PM
there's a 640hp twin turbo c5 corvette z06 selling for about 50,000-60,000 cant be bothered to find the ad

Daz27
01-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Hmmm, me thinks its a 14yo asking the questions here. So a test drive might not be wise hehe. I hate Fast and the furious movies.... ****en ricer shit. Id buy the GTO, and pull all those god damn pigdog ugly spoilers and that lame arse nostril vented bonnet off it. Pontiac MURDERED the Monaro. They are a good, reliable, fast, and without the stupid body kit, a sexy looking piece of machinery. The 350 looks like a mutant cross between a celica and a daihatsu sirion... I imagine it goes like a piece of shit off a shiny new shovel but that alone doesnt do it for me. Besides, its rice.

monaroCountry
01-14-2007, 08:13 PM
1500kg is not 'light'.
i'd go the 350Z with an APS kit.

I would go with the GTO, or wait for the upcoming Pontiac G8.

The GenTTR uses stock internals, quality products and a very reasonable price (join the LS1GTO site). I think that the GenTT and Gen TTR kits are cheaper and more powerful than the APS TT kit.

As for driftability, watch topgears drift review, look at the drift GTO in america or the Drift monaro in Australia.

$$$$ wise its easier to make the GTO into a powerful monster drift machine than the 350Z.

Try both cars, good luck.

APS TT 350Z KIT

http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/350z/front1.jpg

http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/350z/aps_tt.gif

APS TT GTO KIT

http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/ls1/ls2/engine2.jpg

http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/ls1/ls2/gto_front_500.jpg

http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/gto/gto_545.gif

LS1TURBO GENTTR GTO KIT

http://www.ls1turbo.com.au/matttr3.jpg

Turbocharger:Twin KKR380 turbochargers
Boost Pressure: 0.85 Bar (12psi) @ 2900rpm
Power: 550kw (730hp) @ 6000rpm
Torque: 1020Nm (710ft/lb) from 2800 - 5800rpm

Monty_Burns
01-14-2007, 08:39 PM
You've gotta hand it to the Aussies - nobody does the big, cheap, rear drive V8 like 'em nowadays......and considering the budget they had to work with, they came up with a pretty kick-ass car with the Monaro. A real pity that Pontiac felt the need to rape the front end...:(

However, the 350Z would be my choice, as it's a proper sports car....not as quick in a straight line, but superior through tight corners. There's no escaping the GTO's origins - essentially a 2-door version of the previous generation Commodore....which in turn was based on the Opel Omega.

And yes....Fast and the Furious be damned! :D

Bob
01-14-2007, 09:43 PM
I love the 350Z personally. Quick, sexy curves, and the potential for quite a bit more hp. The GTO is just an ugly beast, and in my opinion if massive hp is what you're looking for there are much better routes to get it.

rev440
01-14-2007, 10:16 PM
I love the 350Z personally. Quick, sexy curves, and the potential for quite a bit more hp. The GTO is just an ugly beast, and in my opinion if massive hp is what you're looking for there are much better routes to get it.

Explain? There are not many new cars that can beat that GTO for the price. The LS2 is a monster of an engine and it reacts well to mods.

kingofthering
01-14-2007, 11:01 PM
Naw, for mad dorifto! You need 350 wit Twn Turboz and NOZZZZ!!!

IWantAnAudiRS6
01-15-2007, 12:34 AM
I think if you bought the GTO and then uprated the looks tastefully- say, some Boyd Coddington Smoothies (http://www.billetwheel.com/cgi/wheels.cgi?cmd=show_image&path=Classic_Collection&img=4&tn=1) and a full Holden bodykit, it could look the shit. Check this beastie out, and tell me that the 350Z looks better:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/S65-AMG/VauxhallMonaroVXR500.jpg

Monty_Burns
01-15-2007, 01:03 AM
Yeah....agreed. I dont know what they were thinking when they were redesigning the front of the GTO...they said it wasnt aggressive enough for a GTO - meanwhile, HSV (Holden's tuning arm) had been doing a far better job of giving the Monaro a gaudy look - and they've been exporting it to the UK rebadged as the VXR for some time now......poor America :)

IWantAnAudiRS6
01-15-2007, 03:46 AM
Yeah....agreed. I dont know what they were thinking when they were redesigning the front of the GTO...they said it wasnt aggressive enough for a GTO - meanwhile, HSV (Holden's tuning arm) had been doing a far better job of giving the Monaro a gaudy look - and they've been exporting it to the UK rebadged as the VXR for some time now......poor America :)
The GTO looks tame to me- pretty boring, actually. When I saw the first Monaro in Britain, I thought it looked wild. After the 400bhp and 500bhp VXR versions, I kinda changed my mind, that one I posted just looks badass :D

STREETFIRE
01-15-2007, 04:36 AM
I like the 350Z too. GTO's ugly. But LS2 pwns. And so does the VXR 500, because LS2 V8 + supercharger = 503hp pwnage.
BTW, twin turbos on the 350Z wouldn't hurt either.
And Vauxhall dyno'd the VXR 500 at 503bhp, they just like to understate power figures.

IWantAnAudiRS6
01-15-2007, 06:05 AM
And Vauxhall dyno'd the VXR 500 at 503bhp, they just like to understate power figures.
3bhp is hardly a cause for consternation... :p

sicilian973-2
01-15-2007, 09:00 AM
ill go for the gto.6.0 v8 over the overused 3.5l nissan engine

SlickHolden
01-15-2007, 11:10 AM
If it's drifting the sleeping giant is the Monaro GTO;).
Plus you can fit fatty s in it and get the girls in the back easier:D. And it's going too sound better and be cheaper in the long run.

digitalcraft
01-15-2007, 01:34 PM
screw them both. You need a Honda. And stickers. Lots and lots of stickers.

LandQuail
01-15-2007, 06:17 PM
The 350 looks like a mutant cross between a celica and a daihatsu sirion... I imagine it goes like a piece of shit off a shiny new shovel

Very nice. I've not heard that one before, and will try to use it at least once this week in mixed company.

Anyway, you, the kid trying to decide between a GTO and Z whose name I can't remember, if you loved the Firebird, then go for the GTO.

I drove one of those damn things for a little while. It had tons of power and tons of grip, but the chassis was awful. It wallowed over crests and rolled and pitched like a truck, which you'd think would make it a willing companion on long trips out pock-marked country roads (much as an actual truck is), but no, the ****ing thing was an unmitigated and nightmarish failure on poorly-surfaced roads. The ride was terrible and, while you could pour all the power you wanted in billiards table-smooth second-gear corners, even the most minute mid-corner bump threw everything to hell in a cocked hat and you'd be lucky not to spin.

Doubtless, the Monaro is worlds better than the Firebird, with an even better engine (never a V-8 Firebird's weak suit).

Getting a 350Z to make V8 torque, while absolutely possible, is 'spensive and can spoil the car's drivability if done wrong. At any rate, you'll never get the "pulling out into traffic holeshot" of a deep-chested V8 from the Z's comparatively meager V6, and I think that's what you're looking for, rather than the chassis sophistication and subtleties of the Z.

If you take offense to my saying you wouldn't appreciate subtleties, well, you're looking to 3-Fast 3-Furious to base your $30,000 car choices.

Slicks
01-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Very nice. I've not heard that one before, and will try to use it at least once this week in mixed company.

Anyway, you, the kid trying to decide between a GTO and Z whose name I can't remember, if you loved the Firebird, then go for the GTO.

I drove one of those damn things for a little while. It had tons of power and tons of grip, but the chassis was awful. It wallowed over crests and rolled and pitched like a truck, which you'd think would make it a willing companion on long trips out pock-marked country roads (much as an actual truck is), but no, the ****ing thing was an unmitigated and nightmarish failure on poorly-surfaced roads. The ride was terrible and, while you could pour all the power you wanted in billiards table-smooth second-gear corners, even the most minute mid-corner bump threw everything to hell in a cocked hat and you'd be lucky not to spin.

Doubtless, the Monaro is worlds better than the Firebird, with an even better engine (never a V-8 Firebird's weak suit).

Getting a 350Z to make V8 torque, while absolutely possible, is 'spensive and can spoil the car's drivability if done wrong. At any rate, you'll never get the "pulling out into traffic holeshot" of a deep-chested V8 from the Z's comparatively meager V6, and I think that's what you're looking for, rather than the chassis sophistication and subtleties of the Z.

If you take offense to my saying you wouldn't appreciate subtleties, well, you're looking to 3-Fast 3-Furious to base your $30,000 car choices.
What firebird did you own?

Gtek-i
01-15-2007, 09:15 PM
Does the Holden count as a GTO? If so, I'll take it over the Z

Ferrer
01-15-2007, 10:58 PM
Does the Holden count as a GTO? If so, I'll take it over the Z
The Holden Monaro and the Pontiac GTO are the same car with some subtle differencem like the grille and where is the steering wheel...

clutch-monkey
01-15-2007, 11:00 PM
The Holden Monaro and the Pontiac GTO are the same car with some subtle differencem like the grille and where is the steering wheel...
...and the GTO is equipped with smaller wheels and has no cup holders, and the monaro was never sold in the US as is, so is not an option for Gtek-i to choose..

Daz27
01-16-2007, 01:54 AM
I wonder how the Munro would have looked with the VZ front end, or even the VX front, I always thought the VT front looked dated, even when it came out new. If I was to choose between the two, I'd still choose the GTO, but, I'd be getten in touch with a Holden dealer here in Oz, and arranging to have the stock bonnet, and body kit sent over, and, maybe all the suspension bits the yanks must have pulled out of the car to get that 'magic carpet' ride they love in big cars so much. Oh, I'd also get a set of Holden 19' rims maybe off a GTS...
Oh, and clutch, theres no point having cup holders in a car if they cant hold the 'cups' (buckets) the americans use... Super size me.... Suuuper dooooper doooooper size me on the coke maam....

Monty_Burns
01-16-2007, 02:16 AM
I wonder how the Munro would have looked with the VZ front end, or even the VX front, I always thought the VT front looked dated, even when it came out new.

Ditto. I reckon the VYII Calais front would look alright on the Monaro....and maybe bolt on those gorgeous 19'' VY Senator alloys - that real chunky 5-spoke design.

SlickHolden
01-16-2007, 09:29 AM
screw them both. You need a Honda. And stickers. Lots and lots of stickers.
Too hold it all together:D.

IWantAnAudiRS6
01-16-2007, 09:53 AM
Too hold it all together:D.
And let's not forget the ingratiating additional power of 50bhp from a NOS sticker ;)

And as for GReddy... phwoar!! :eek:

STREETFIRE
01-16-2007, 05:09 PM
3bhp is hardly a cause for consternation... :p
What the heck, then?

IWantAnAudiRS6
01-16-2007, 05:42 PM
What the heck, then?
You said that Vauxhall liked to understate their power figures.

3bhp is hardly understating it by a vast amount!

Also, '500' is much cleaner on a badge. The only cars that spring to mind in recent years as having the more insignificant number in the equation are the Clio hot hatches- 172, 182 and 197, respectively.

The MG ZT 260 V8 had 265bhp, the Elise 240R has 243bhp... just that normally the power figure (if it's included in the name) will be rounded to the nearest/most accurate zero.

The_Canuck
01-16-2007, 07:56 PM
The MG ZT 260 V8 had 265bhp, the Elise 240R has 243bhp... just that normally the power figure (if it's included in the name) will be rounded to the nearest/most accurate zero.

LP640? 639 I belive :p

nota
01-16-2007, 08:14 PM

Also, '500' is much cleaner on a badge. The only cars that spring to mind in recent years as having the more insignificant number in the equation are the Clio hot hatches- 172, 182 and 197, respectively.

Previous model HSVs developed 298kw but carried a '297' badge coz they reckoned it was a better looking number :rolleyes:

Ferrer
01-17-2007, 09:06 AM
Previous model HSVs developed 298kw but carried a '297' badge coz they reckoned it was a better looking number :rolleyes:
Similar thing happened with some Ferrari cars which were named after unitary cubic capacity. For instance the 250 in truth displaced 246cc per cylinder or the 275 dispalced 274cc per cylinder.

SlickHolden
01-17-2007, 09:25 AM
And let's not forget the ingratiating additional power of 50bhp from a NOS sticker ;)

And as for GReddy... phwoar!! :eek:
LOL I know all about sticking things down right now:p

STREETFIRE
01-17-2007, 05:27 PM

I don't get this:
500bhp = 373kW
In the Vauxhall, 503bhp = 368kW
What's going on?

IWantAnAudiRS6
01-17-2007, 05:44 PM
I don't get this:
500bhp = 373kW
In the Vauxhall, 503bhp = 368kW
What's going on?
Er... by my calculations, 503bhp = 375kW.

Now you explain to me what's going on! :p

LOL I know all about sticking things down right now:p
Yep, otherwise it increases aerodynamic drag and that makes your 10-second quarter mile fly outta the window ;)

I can go with that :cool: I see where they're coming from... what's wrong with a 300 badge? :p

LP640? 639 I belive :p
... thus proving my point ;)

STREETFIRE
01-17-2007, 06:28 PM
No, a 503bhp car was tested at 368kW. Those are the power figures for the VXR 500. Dyno prints show horsepower including drivetrain power loss, while kilowatts are normally measured at the flywheel - meaning no power loss. Drivetrain loss can vary, but it increases a lot if you have your air-fuel mixture out of whack. But having your ride spin the dyno to 500bhp normally means 373kW from the flywheel. ;)

The_Canuck
01-17-2007, 07:27 PM
... thus proving my point ;)

Hope I helped...:rolleyes:

monaroCountry
01-18-2007, 02:37 AM
Have a look at this drift monaro against an Toyota AE86 IN THE WET.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSnvNKhw_KQ

Better yet wait for the upcoming Pontiac G8.

midnightdorifto
01-26-2007, 05:21 PM
This thread is giving me a headache. The kid doesn't need a 350Z. He doesn't need a 240SX. I'm not sure I'd trust him with an old Altima. Let alone an LS* powered anything. Am I the only one who thinks this kid might need to grow up just a bit before even putting some thought into this? As much as I'd like to see some 16 year old get cocky and kill himself in a new and creative manner, this is just excessive.

Mr. rgibbs205, look, take my word for it. I've had some good friends get hurt doing what you want to do in a closed, safe environment. You've got too much to live for. Get something slow, light, and reliable. Neither of these cars fit that bill. I don't mean to offend you, but these cars are a bit above your skill level if I judged correctly.