PDA

View Full Version : Asian Languages

kingofthering
01-17-2007, 08:29 PM
Anyone study Asian languages? I've studied edit...speak Mandarin for the past 2 years.

Interestingly, I live in the US but I use an Australian Chinese textbook, complete with the Chinese translation of Australia and places like Ayer's Rock.

clutch-monkey
01-17-2007, 08:31 PM
i tried indonesian back when i was 12, but i've forgotten everything except how to ask for fried rice.

car_fiend
01-17-2007, 08:45 PM
i've tried japanese back when i was in high school cuz it was offered as a college credited course during high school, but i had to drop out of the program cuz it was interfering wit my hs classes, and i started mixing words with spanish and japanese. it was okay, but this was about 3 or 4 years ago. other than that, at home, since my parents are Pakistani, i know the language, and growing up i was taught to write it. its been a while since i've written but i can probably still write , maybe read it too, but it'll b really hard.

IBrake4Rainbows
01-17-2007, 08:51 PM
I speak VERY basic Japanese and Indonesian.

I can count in Indonesian and call someone a cow in japanese.

taz_rocks_miami
01-17-2007, 09:25 PM
I know how to answer the phone in Japanese....mushi mushi. :)

fisetdavid26
01-17-2007, 10:06 PM
I once tried to learn japanese by myself, with books and things like that. I wanted to learn katakana so I could play video games imported from Japan. It was a complete failure so I let go. Too complicated for me.

Lagonda
01-18-2007, 02:06 AM
I tried Japanese once but I just couldn't wrap my head around it. Germanic/roman languages FTW.

NoOne
01-18-2007, 08:04 AM
I know a bit of Tagalog (national Phillipine language), learning from my many phillipino co-workers .... most important phrase I learned is .... Hindi ko alam ang sinisabi mo (I don't understand what you're talking about) :)

Pando
01-18-2007, 08:32 AM
+1 for everyone who has been/is studying foreign languages!

I know some really basic Korean: a handful of phonetic words, and I know how to count. I'd really like to learn more, but it's really not the most available language to study here.

kingofthering
01-18-2007, 09:19 AM
I know how to answer the phone in Japanese....mushi mushi. :)
baka, moshi moshi. :D owned.

silverhawk
01-18-2007, 11:46 AM
i'm from Pakistan so my mother tongue is Urdu. i lived in dubai for 20 years and there ive seen people from all over the world either speak or understand it because Urdu is so easy. i also know a few words of arabic.

NSXType-R
01-18-2007, 01:27 PM
I'm Chinese, so I know Cantonese fluently, but I can't write at all. My grammar and writing skills totally suck. On the other hand, I'm pretty good at Latin and okay with French.

blingbling
01-18-2007, 04:18 PM
I'm Chinese, so I know Cantonese fluentlyHardly a consistent conditional statement.

I am surprised that the most common Asian Languages of Mandarin, Hindi, and Arabic have not been spoken here, interesting.

The_Canuck
01-18-2007, 04:49 PM
I am surprised that the most common Asian Languages of Mandarin..................... have not been spoken here,
First post?

NSXType-R
01-18-2007, 05:34 PM
Hardly a consistent conditional statement.

I am surprised that the most common Asian Languages of Mandarin, Hindi, and Arabic have not been spoken here, interesting.

What do you mean by that?

I'm sure Mandarin, Hindi and Arabic are spoken here, it's just that English is much easier for all of us to read. There's a lot of people from those areas on this forum.

carsnut
01-18-2007, 06:06 PM
I'm Chinese, so I know Cantonese fluently, but I can't write at all. My grammar and writing skills totally suck. On the other hand, I'm pretty good at Latin and okay with French.

lol I'm Chinese too. :eek: Only I speak mandrian. Very hard to learn.......................................:D

NSXType-R
01-18-2007, 07:38 PM
lol I'm Chinese too. :eek: Only I speak mandrian. Very hard to learn.......................................:D

Haha, nice to see a fellow Asian here.:p

I speak Cantonese pretty fluently because my parents forced me to. Turns out it paid off, since I was able to blend right in when I went to Hong Kong. :D

But yeah, Chinese is hard to learn. I love my culture, but could there be an easier way to learn how to write? There's no way I'm memorizing 4,000 plus characters.

kingofthering
01-18-2007, 07:39 PM
So did I, so did I, people thought I was in my late 20's and was Korean.

taz_rocks_miami
01-18-2007, 07:54 PM
baka, moshi moshi. :D owned.

I said I knew how to answer the phone, not spell it. But if it makes you feel better...:p

DieFrage
01-19-2007, 04:07 PM
I tried learning Mandarin for about a year from a friend of my family whose parents are straight from China. Gave it up after they moved away about 3 years ago, don't remember much. However, and this really doesn't apply in this thread but I started learning German about 5 months ago and recently I've started dabbling with Dutch.

h00t_h00t
01-19-2007, 05:08 PM
Can't do english me.

"OI! MANWELL!! ANOTHER LARGER POOR FABOOR" Is the closest I get to foreignish.

blingbling
01-20-2007, 05:51 PM
First post?He said that he studies not, not speak it :S
I'm sure Mandarin, Hindi and Arabic are spoken here, it's just that English is much easier for all of us to read. There's a lot of people from those areas on this forum.Yes, but nobody says that they speak it in this thread. I obviously know this is mainly and english forum...:mad:
There's no way I'm memorizing 4,000 plus characters.TRAITORjoke

clutch-monkey
01-20-2007, 06:16 PM
i tried to learn American/yankee. i failed.