PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear 2007

Matra et Alpine
01-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Looks as good as ever.

http://www.topgear.com/content/timetoburn/sections/galleries/other/tg_preview2/01/

Can't wait to see "Hillbilly Stig" and the Hamster in the Renault :)

Drive America in a $1000 car !!! ha-ha

Who do you think is driving which in the Coupe test ????
http://www.topgear.com/content/timetoburn/sections/galleries/other/tg_preview2/11/main.jpg

Gtek-i
01-25-2007, 03:46 PM
I want a Brera

Matra et Alpine
01-25-2007, 03:47 PM
I want a Brera
which unfortunately looks naff with the offset front plate :(

Gtek-i
01-25-2007, 03:48 PM
Screw the front plate...I only need the back:p:D

Ferrer
01-25-2007, 03:59 PM
Looking forward to this series. Regarding the Coupe thing I bet JM in the TT, JC in the Brera and RH in the RX-8.

Matra et Alpine
01-25-2007, 04:12 PM
Looking forward to this series. Regarding the Coupe thing I bet JM in the TT, JC in the Brera and RH in the RX-8.
yeah that's what I reckoned. Def Hamster in the Rex. Maybe JUST JC woudl have the Alfa, but I think May will more be the "classic Italian"

Ferrer
01-25-2007, 04:16 PM
yeah that's what I reckoned. Def Hamster in the Rex. Maybe JUST JC woudl have the Alfa, but I think May will more be the "classic Italian"
Yes but remember that when they had the Brera in the studio JC praised it highly. Then again May is the one who will be doing the 159 review, so maybe he will be driving the Brera too.

NSXType-R
01-25-2007, 04:37 PM
I think Jeremy will be in the RX-8 because he liked it. Hamster in the TT, and James in the Brera.

carsnut
01-25-2007, 05:14 PM
I want to see this new series. Sounds interesting, as most Top Gear seasons are! Hopefully there'll be some supercars too.

clutch-monkey
01-25-2007, 05:20 PM
wow, that plate is bigger than my front grille by the looks of it lol

blingbling
01-25-2007, 11:38 PM
Matra et Alpiune, ur avatar is geometrically impossible!

Cotterik
01-26-2007, 02:21 AM
i absolutely cant wait for the new series. its been too long.

jorismo
01-26-2007, 04:25 AM
i absolutely cant wait for the new series. its been too long.

I couldn't agree more...

jediali
01-26-2007, 05:18 AM
This is the first televisual feast of the year for me

Rockefella
01-26-2007, 07:37 AM
It's too bad I won't get to see any of it, unless I download it. :(

NSXType-R
01-26-2007, 09:08 AM
Matra- what happened to pictures and the Egg Nog of the PZ? :rolleyes:

JRodrigues
01-26-2007, 09:48 AM
I think Jeremy will be in the RX-8 because he liked it. Hamster in the TT, and James in the Brera.

My guess is the same ;)

Rockefella
01-26-2007, 09:52 AM
Jeremy in the Brera, Hammond in the Rx-8, May in the TT.

jediali
01-26-2007, 10:03 AM
jc - rx-8
jm - tt
rh - brera

VtecMini
01-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Jeremy in the TT, May in the Alfa and Richard in the hairdresser's car...

:p

Rockefella
01-26-2007, 10:06 AM
Jeremy in the TT, May in the Alfa and Richard in the hairdresser's car...

:p
Shot at Peter there I assume? :D

dydzi
01-26-2007, 10:08 AM
jeremy - TT
james - RX8
hammond - brera

NSXType-R
01-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Thinking of the possibilities makes me think about math- There's only 9 combinations, one of them has got to be it. :rolleyes:

I hope I got my math right this time though.

Edit: I think I did do my math wrong. There should be six combinations. This shows how bored I am.

Rockefella
01-26-2007, 10:21 AM
Thinking of the possibilities makes me think about math- There's only 9 combinations, one of them has got to be it. :rolleyes:

I hope I got my math right this time though.

Edit: I think I did do my math wrong. There should be six combinations. This shows how bored I am.
6 Combinations.

1. JC - TT, JM - Brera, RH - RX-8
2. JC - TT, JM - RX-8, RH - Brera
3. JC - Brera, JM - RX-8, RH - TT
4. JC - Brera, JM - TT, RH - RX-8
5. JC - RX-8, JM - Brera, RH - TT
6. JC - RX-8, JM - TT, RH - Brera

Matra et Alpine
01-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Waiting for the personal plates to come through :)
AND been out enjoying it far too much.

http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/files/scotmeet_039_545.jpg

Already had it airborne :D
I'll e-n it tomorrow for all the sceptics.
Esp those who think a PZ is a hairdresser's car !!
Fast and damn good handling even in the wet borders run at the weekend.
Done nearly 800 miles now and great fun driving it "on the beep" - change-reminder at 9500 rpm :D

henk4
01-26-2007, 11:32 AM
Done nearly 800 miles now and great fun driving it "on the beep" - change-reminder at 9500 rpm :D

mileage?:confused:

Dantera22B
01-26-2007, 11:33 AM
seriously cannot wait for this. it's been a ritual for years now for me and me mate to watch it every sunday night. its what i need to cheer me up after last week.

Matra et Alpine
01-26-2007, 11:40 AM
mileage?:confused:
It started at 7 :D

Or did you mean MPG -- it's a rotary, I don't want to know :)
[ well I reckon I was getting 15 on the fast twisties in the border run - but I was also "alledgedly" getting 110mph :D ]

NSXType-R
01-26-2007, 12:36 PM
6 Combinations.

1. JC - TT, JM - Brera, RH - RX-8
2. JC - TT, JM - RX-8, RH - Brera
3. JC - Brera, JM - RX-8, RH - TT
4. JC - Brera, JM - TT, RH - RX-8
5. JC - RX-8, JM - Brera, RH - TT
6. JC - RX-8, JM - TT, RH - Brera

Yup, I fixed it.

Good to hear that Matra.

coolieman1220
01-26-2007, 02:20 PM
yeah downloading is my best frined when i get what i want!

Matra et Alpine
01-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Done http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=661089&postcount=414

Matra et Alpine
01-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Great new trailer on the beeb site ..... http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/topgear/top-gear_season9?size=16x9&nbram=1&bbram=1

MAN LOVE RULES OK ---- rofl

Coventrysucks
01-27-2007, 02:14 PM
Thanks to the unique way in which the BBC is funded, the clip won't stream.

jediali
01-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks to the unique way in which the BBC is funded, the clip won't stream.
i refuse to install realplayer...

Matra et Alpine
01-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Go to www.bbc.com/topgear and click for yourself.

( No reason NOT to have realplayer :) it isnt' iTunes :D )

jediali
01-27-2007, 03:33 PM
well if i didnt like itunes i might use winamp, mediaplayer or something. however i dont have an ipod but use itunes.

Cyco
01-27-2007, 05:20 PM
It works for me.

Will be good to download it, if I waited for it to air here I wouldn't see it till 2009.

jediali
01-27-2007, 05:21 PM
It works for me.

Will be good to download it, if I waited for it to air here I wouldn't see it till 2009.
it will be on torrent by monday:)

Coventrysucks
01-27-2007, 07:44 PM
Go to www.bbc.com/topgear and click for yourself.

Tried that.

Tried it in Opera and FF, just in case.

Still wouldn't stream, hi res, low res...

( No reason NOT to have realplayer :) it isnt' iTunes :D )

I have VLC, I don't need or want Realplayer with its countless MBs of bundled toolbars and "utilities".

PerfAdv
01-27-2007, 07:55 PM
Hoping some kind souls will eventually post them on YouTube, at least the good bits.

Matra et Alpine
01-28-2007, 02:44 AM
I have VLC, I don't need or want Realplayer with its countless MBs of bundled toolbars and "utilities".Streeming fine for millions of others ..... so are you sure you don't have a firewall blocking rstp packets ?
If not, then I think you've found the case for installing Real and unticking the box for all the "helper" and "add-ons" :D

jediali
01-28-2007, 03:23 AM
Streeming fine for millions of others ..... so are you sure you don't have a firewall blocking rstp packets ?
If not, then I think you've found the case for installing Real and unticking the box for all the "helper" and "add-ons" :D
i totally understand and agree, i didnt install it because there is nothing else i would use realplayer for and am a bit of a geek in the sense i would like to keep my pc as light' as possible.

Matra et Alpine
01-28-2007, 09:18 AM
The Alfa, TT, RX-8 test will be week 2.
Hope they give them to the Stig :)

Coventrysucks
01-28-2007, 09:21 AM
Streeming fine for millions of others ..... so are you sure you don't have a firewall blocking rstp packets ?

No, its Real that's the problem.

I just tried watching a clip of Ray Mears, the first alternative link to clips I came across; options for Windows Media Player or Real;
- Windows works fine for both hig/low res
- Real doesn't stream properly, its just a series of still images.

So, even without the bloat installed, I still have 26MB of Real Player sat on my hard disk, and the first time that I have used it for about 6 months it doesn't work.

Still; 3 1/2 hours to go!

Matra et Alpine
01-28-2007, 10:45 AM
No, its Real that's the problem.

I just tried watching a clip of Ray Mears, the first alternative link to clips I came across; options for Windows Media Player or Real;
- Windows works fine for both hig/low res
- Real doesn't stream properly, its just a series of still images.

So, even without the bloat installed, I still have 26MB of Real Player sat on my hard disk, and the first time that I have used it for about 6 months it doesn't work.

Still; 3 1/2 hours to go!
So this is an OLD installation of Real ?
First, recommend getting the recent updates ( better decoder performance ).
Also, check that all the settings are at automatic.
Specifically make sure that the bandwidth settings match your reality.
I've seen what you describe on low speed broadband when set to be LAN :D

THere really is nothing "wrong" with Real, it's just another company trying to make money with a patented compression :)

Coventrysucks
01-28-2007, 12:47 PM
So this is an OLD installation of Real ?

No, v.10.5, only dl'd & installed a few months ago because it was refusing to work for something else.

Specifically make sure that the bandwidth settings match your reality.
I've seen what you describe on low speed broadband when set to be LAN :D

The bandwidth settings are correct, as all of the other media players I have are set to the same speed and they all work.

THere really is nothing "wrong" with Real,

I'd accept that it was something wrong with me/ my system if nothing else worked; but that's the point:

Everything else is fine, and works flawlessly. Real doesn't. QED - that's where the problem lies.

I just did a clean install of the latest version, all updates etc, and tried again:

Worked for all of 10s before it stopped streaming properly.

Lagonda
01-28-2007, 12:51 PM
Real player has always been a POS. The mac version is somewhat better but still a POS.

Anyway, 8 more minutes to go !

jediali
01-28-2007, 02:01 PM
just seen it, episode 1, bit of a tear jerker as hammond comments on his video

Lagonda
01-28-2007, 02:07 PM
Wasn't really a great episode but meh, I'm glad the best show on TV is finally back ! And with all of the presenters alive and well.

adamfraser
01-28-2007, 02:07 PM
Bloody hell - he is LUCKY to be alive.

THat was one hell of a crash.

jediali
01-28-2007, 02:14 PM
Bloody hell - he is LUCKY to be alive.

THat was one hell of a crash.
Richard looked quite tearful ; this is about as emotional as TG gets..

man 430gt
01-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Couldn't help finding the first couple of minutes abit cheesy but it then all fell in to place... Another great epi IMO....

IWantAnAudiRS6
01-28-2007, 02:17 PM
I think he looked very haunted, James looked shocked, and Jeremy for once didn't make tasteless jokes. Until it was out of the 'safety' zone.

I'm glad he's back, a much better presenter than James May and a brave bloke- an ordinary human being who was strong enough to fight for his life.

Lovin' the XKR and the AMV8 with black wheels, too :)

Waugh-terfall
01-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Legend... 'And possibly the worst crash you have ever seen..." No. 1 - Thing's you DON'T want to say when driving a jet car...

Ferrer
01-28-2007, 02:31 PM
...a much better presenter than James May...
I actually think James is a very underrated presenter. I think he is just brilliant and looks at cars from a different perspective. Sometimes speed and power isn't important

adamfraser
01-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Link to the BBC clip of it -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/media/programmes/topgear/bb/topgear_280107_clip1_16x9_bb.asx

Click link and Media/Winamp will open and stream it.

derekthetree
01-28-2007, 02:46 PM
I'm glad he's back, a much better presenter than James May

:eek: OMG, really? I reckon that James if the best one of them all. He provides a dose a common sense to proceedings and seems like a real person rather than a bloated ego on legs.

IWantAnAudiRS6
01-28-2007, 02:51 PM
:eek: OMG, really? I reckon that James if the best one of them all. He provides a dose a common sense to proceedings and seems like a real person rather than a bloated ego on legs.
I don't like his manner. He seems far too set in his ways. And he reads the Telegraph.

derekthetree
01-28-2007, 03:02 PM
And he reads the Telegraph.

well nobody's perfect :)

Coventrysucks
01-28-2007, 04:41 PM
And he reads the Telegraph.

well nobody's perfect :)

You say that as if it is somehow negative.

Cracking review of the Jag, but I can't help but think that a Vantage with PPP would be very difficult to walk away from, given the opportunity.

Still, one could hardly be disappointed with the XK either.

Ferrer
01-28-2007, 04:52 PM
Cracking review of the Jag, but I can't help but think that a Vantage with PPP would be very difficult to walk away from, given the opportunity.

Still, one could hardly be disappointed with the XK either.
But the Jaguar is significantly cheaper. A shame that it isn't offered with a manual gearbox.

NSXType-R
01-28-2007, 08:06 PM
Done http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=661089&postcount=414

Looks real good there buddy. :D

man 430gt
01-29-2007, 12:00 AM
I actually think James is a very underrated presenter. I think he is just brilliant and looks at cars from a different perspective. Sometimes speed and power isn't important
I completely agree, I think there just all a great team, without one or the other it just wouldn't be the same....

derekthetree
01-29-2007, 10:10 AM
You say that as if it is somehow negative.

indeed I did :)

Waugh-terfall
01-29-2007, 11:13 AM
XKR in red = vomit, why ruin a stunning car by painting it red. Grey for the win!!!
James May is a great presenter!

Ferrer
01-29-2007, 11:18 AM
XKR in red = vomit, why ruin a stunning car by painting it red. Grey for the win!!!
British Racing Green is better. But I agree red is awful on a car like this.

Jack_Bauer
02-02-2007, 09:50 AM
Seems Top Gear can't do anything these days without falling foul of someone...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6324129.stm

The handling of Richard Hammond's return to Top Gear has been branded "insensitive" and "insulting" by a charity for people with brain injury.

Headway said it had been inundated with complaints particularly over comments made by presenter Jeremy Clarkson.

At the start of Sunday's show, Mr Clarkson asked Mr Hammond if he was mental, while James May offered him a tissue in case he started dribbling.

The BBC said the show was not intended to cause any offence.

It really was offensive and insulting to all those people living with brain injuries
Peter McCabe, of Headway

Headway chief executive Peter McCabe said: "This has created such anger among members of Headway. It really was offensive and insulting to all those people living with brain injuries.

"I think the whole way the show handled the issue was wrong. They should not have shown the crash.

"It just glamorised fast driving and gives the impression people can make a full recovery from head injuries.

"That is not always the case."

Complaints

The charity said it had received 50 complaints via the telephone helpline and through email from members and has now announced it will be making a complaint about the programme.

Mr Hammond, 37, was left fighting for his life in September following the crash in when his jet-powered car came off a runway near York at 280mph.

The BBC Two show featured footage of the crash.

A BBC spokesman said: "Top Gear's audience is familiar with the irreverent tone of the programme and this was typical of the type of exchanges that take place between the presenters. It was certainly not intended to cause any offence.

"The item showing Richard's crash could not have been a clearer illustration of the dangers and excitements of speed."

The programme has also fallen foul of Brake, the national road safety charity.

It said it was "shocked and appalled" by Mr Clarkson's comment that "speed kills" just after pointing at Mr Hammond following clips of the crash.

Jools Townsend, from the charity, said: "Clarkson's comment was highly irresponsible and offensive to anyone who has been bereaved or injured at the hands of a speeding driver.

"A shockingly disproportionate number of young male drivers are dying on our roads and it is highly irresponsible for the BBC to allow Top Gear, with its target audience of young males, to openly make light the deadly act of speeding."

Rockefella
02-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Bitch. Bitch. Bitch. Complain. Complain. Complain.

Can these people just stop crying over silly things Top Gear does that 90% of the viewing population considers funny, or just?

syko
02-02-2007, 10:13 AM
OMG 50 complains means 50 billion people didn't like it.

derekthetree
02-02-2007, 10:22 AM
so they all complained to the charity :confused:
why not to the BBC direct.

and the old adage still stands up.

if you don't want to watch it, don't watch it.

I'm sure ITV news/The Mirror will be running it as a story soon...

Matra et Alpine
02-02-2007, 10:28 AM
OMG 50 complains means 50 billion people didn't like it.
that's the theory used by supporters of 'vetes and cobras :D

Waugh-terfall
02-03-2007, 07:09 AM
I believe Richard is back because he wants to get back on with his life again. It's not as if they forced him back to work :S
Besides all the 'Are you a mental?' and the tissue stuff is just a joke. Surely by now people would know what Jeremy is like...

jediali
02-11-2007, 02:04 PM
Tonights Episode : Alabama Car Painting:

Was that for real. looked prettt scary. putting "hilary for president", "man love", "country music sucks" in paint on the cars seemed to stir up trouble. Its not often you see the film crew during final playback but they really seemed afraid. Fantastic episode though - especially the road kill cow on JC's camaro! One to d/l if you havent seen it lads.

Waugh-terfall
02-12-2007, 10:41 AM
It really was a classic. Smashing James's car, 'the boys' at the petrol station and Richard having to give James a jumpstart... Washing the slogans off with Banana Milk. Legendary.

derekthetree
02-12-2007, 12:29 PM
It really was a classic. Smashing James's car, 'the boys' at the petrol station and Richard having to give James a jumpstart... Washing the slogans off with Banana Milk. Legendary.

You could tell that from the grainy camera-phone images??

I'm still trying to work out if it was staged....

Waugh-terfall
02-12-2007, 01:59 PM
You could tell that from the grainy camera-phone images??

I'm still trying to work out if it was staged....

I think they said. Nah, I doubt it was staged. Definately not

VtecMini
02-14-2007, 12:47 PM
After seeing that godawful one with the caravans last season, I'm inclined to believe all of it was set up. Not that it matters though, cos it was great. Very, funny, with quite a poignant ending. I have to admit I was really surprised at the state of New Orleans.

Didn't like the cow bit though. Thought that was pretty awful. :(

And isn't there somebody on this forum with a Camaro just like that one? Might wanna keep an eye on that him... :)

syko
02-18-2007, 07:14 AM
They have updated there site quite a bit and even included a quiz that is quite are hard, how far can you get?

take the top gear quiz (http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/hardquiz.shtml)

derekthetree
02-18-2007, 08:33 AM
They have updated there site quite a bit and even included a quiz that is quite are hard, how far can you get?

take the top gear quiz (http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/hardquiz.shtml)

I had a look at that. Some are tricky but it keeps on repeating some questions :confused:

tuk3410
02-19-2007, 09:39 AM
Top Gear has been awesome so far this year. Everything from the crash being shown, the roadworks, the american car incident and the rocket robin have all been great to watch (well the crash wasn't great to watch but I am glad I saw it):o

Sledgehammer
02-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Hey, I remember several years ago top gear was doing a remake of an old car and they chose the Probe 16/15? and was wondering if they ever finished it cause I dont remember an episode where they did.

Ferrer
02-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Hey, I remember several years ago top gear was doing a remake of an old car and they chose the Probe 16/15? and was wondering if they ever finished it cause I dont remember an episode where they did.
They chose the rallying Mini in the end.

Sledgehammer
02-22-2007, 10:06 AM
damn, that probe was one unique vehicle.

jediali
07-23-2007, 09:25 AM
looks like a channel crossing feature wil appear in the new october 07 series. Yet again the VW van sinks and everyone complains about the stunt. http://www.kentnews.co.uk/kent-news/Clarkson-and-co_s-Top-Steer-to-France-newsinkent4405.aspx

Waugh-terfall
07-23-2007, 12:31 PM
Brilliant, Polar Special on Wednesday UK members

Duell
07-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Brilliant, Polar Special on Wednesday UK members

Not only for UK viewers. Here in Holland we receive the BBC just as good :D
Can't wait :p

Cotterik
07-24-2007, 08:02 AM
yep. my alarm is set :)

Waugh-terfall
07-25-2007, 03:00 PM
And boy wasn't it good?

'James, you could be the first person to be at the North Pole, that doesn't want to be there!'

Still can't believe that Team G&T made it after what Clarkson did to the poor boat, sorry, car..

Kitdy
11-22-2007, 01:18 AM
The Caparo T1 takes the powerlap record, only to be disqualified. From Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/20/caparo-t1-disqualified-after-taking-i-top-gear-i-lap-record/):

Performance figures don't give an accurate picture of just how well a car performs overall. A given car may be the fastest to sixty, but that doesn't mean it has the highest top speed, tightest cornering or sharpest brakes. Lap times around a given track paint a more accurate, comprehensive picture of a car's abilities, but picking one track as the gold standard is dicey business. That's where Top Gear's Power Lap board comes into play.

Although weather conditions can vary, BBC's Top Gear puts all the cars through the paces at the same test track outside their studio, and what's more is that they're driven – or at least, so we're lead to believe – by the same driver: The Stig.

The latest high-performance supercar to make a run for the top of the record board is the Caparo T1, which, at 1:10.6, easily trounced the previous record holder, the Koenigsegg CCX, by an astonishing seven seconds. Unfortunately the Caparo was disqualified because, in its track set-up, it lacked the adjustable ride height to enable it to clear a requisite speed-bump. Caparo insists they deserve a second chance with a road-spec version. If the show's producers give the Ultima GTR an official run, meanwhile, the Caparo's reign as king of the Power Lap could be short-lived, adjustable shocks or not.

Interesting news. I had thought that the Ultima GTR already lapped the course - what time did it get?

2ndclasscitizen
11-22-2007, 07:03 AM
The Ultima wasn't lapped by the Stig, they just rocked up and did it themselves. And good on them for buggering off the Caparo lap time, it was hardly the work of a road spec and road ready car.

VtecMini
11-22-2007, 10:51 AM
Apparently the finished article will have height adjustable suspension, so they're hoping to reclaim the title when the car's done.

nightracer
11-24-2007, 12:59 PM
I have the whole episode on my computer. I think I have all the TG seasons back to 2000 infact. LoL!