PDA

View Full Version : 1992 3000GT VR4 VS. 2007 Mustang GT

KingNothing
01-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Im the hopefully soon to be owner(theres a fun story behind that) of a 92 VR4 and an aquaintance of mine is the owner of a 07 Mustang GT. On a drag track, who would be faster? My VR4 would have the resonator removed, open downpipe exhaust, K&N Proformance airfilter, and possibly an HKS "super mega flow" short ram intake. His Mustang is still stock except for the muffler being removed. Whos your money on?

IWantAnAudiRS6
01-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Probably the 3000GT... depends how well you can pedal your car. Prepare to lose about 500 miles off your clutch if you're going to dump it.

digitalcraft
01-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Your car is about 280 LBs heavier. I'd go with the mustang, sorry!

h00t_h00t
01-26-2007, 05:14 PM
His car also has AWD and a little more power (I think?) so it will come down to the driver.

digitalcraft
01-26-2007, 05:17 PM
I believe it has more power but less torque, so not much of a help.

I did forget about the 4wd though. being able to put the power to the road is definitely a bonus.

I'll be interested to see what other people think.

IWantAnAudiRS6
01-26-2007, 05:20 PM
Standard, the VR4 pumps out 320bhp. I don't know how much the mods would add powerwise, let's say a reserved guess of 25bhp. That's 345bhp, AWD, better aerodynamics, a 0-60 time of 5.4 seconds stock, and a total weight of 3781lbs.

The Mustang has 300bhp standard, probably 310bhp at a generous guess for the muffler being removed. RWD, worse aerodynamics, 0-60 time of 5.2 secs, and it weighs 3483lbs.

My money's on the VR4, if you know how to shift.

digitalcraft
01-26-2007, 05:25 PM
According to teh internets, a 2007 Mustang GT has a 0-60 time of 5.3 seconds (the 2006 had a 4.9) and a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 has a 0-60 of 5.4 (that's probably for a newer one than a 92 though)

These cars are surprisingly well matched.

johnnynumfiv
01-26-2007, 05:29 PM
It's hard to say, because it really comes down to the drivers.

Niko_Fx
01-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Friend of mine use to have a VR4, I've been in it, I've driven it, and I can guarantee you that it's definitely faster than a Mustang GT.

It use to have exhaust and an air filter and it was enough to give an 04 SMG M3 a run for its money.

KingNothing
01-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Probably the 3000GT... depends how well you can pedal your car. Prepare to lose about 500 miles off your clutch if you're going to dump it.
Id get in a ton of practice before i even tryed to race him, hes a damn good driver.

Your car is about 280 LBs heavier. I'd go with the mustang, sorry!
Yea, thought about that, i knew mustangs were heavy but i wasnt sure if mine would be heavyier.

His car also has AWD and a little more power (I think?) so it will come down to the driver.
Yea more power hp wise and the AWD helps it take off, im just worried that down the line the Mustang's RWD might catch it up.

I believe it has more power but less torque, so not much of a help.

I did forget about the 4wd though. being able to put the power to the road is definitely a bonus.

I'll be interested to see what other people think.
The stock torque is about 307 ft./lbs, its close up there with the stock hp. and the AWD the VR4 comes with i hear helps tons.

Standard, the VR4 pumps out 320bhp. I don't know how much the mods would add powerwise, let's say a reserved guess of 25bhp. That's 345bhp, AWD, better aerodynamics, a 0-60 time of 5.4 seconds stock, and a total weight of 3781lbs.

The Mustang has 300bhp standard, probably 310bhp at a generous guess for the muffler being removed. RWD, worse aerodynamics, 0-60 time of 5.2 secs, and it weighs 3483lbs.

My money's on the VR4, if you know how to shift.
Thanks for the specs, i wasnt sure how much any of that stuff would add but that sounds like a well rounded guess. But yea, i got some practicing to do before i race.

According to teh internets, a 2007 Mustang GT has a 0-60 time of 5.3 seconds (the 2006 had a 4.9) and a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 has a 0-60 of 5.4 (that's probably for a newer one than a 92 though)

These cars are surprisingly well matched.
The 91-93s with the resonator removed are suppost to be almost if not exactly the same hp and torque as the later "2nd gens." So i guess thats another vote for "depends on the drivers" lol thanks

It's hard to say, because it really comes down to the drivers.
Another one for depends on driver

Friend of mine use to have a VR4, I've been in it, I've driven it, and I can guarantee you that it's definitely faster than a Mustang GT.

It use to have exhaust and an air filter and it was enough to give an 04 SMG M3 a run for its money.
Thats what i love to hear, gracias. Experience and a definate answer thats in my favor! lol

Quiggs
01-26-2007, 07:18 PM
I want pictures of your clutch after the race.

Rockefella
01-26-2007, 07:25 PM
And a before picture too.

KingNothing
01-26-2007, 07:25 PM
haha whos? mine or his? or both?

Rockefella
01-26-2007, 07:26 PM
haha whos? mine or his? or both?
Read the bold.

KingNothing
01-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Guess i should read the whole thing next time huh?

cmcpokey
01-26-2007, 07:29 PM
it helps to pay attention

KingNothing
01-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Yep, its a bad habit i've yet to break. But why pics of the clutch? and what about another friends Lexus IS 350? I dont expect to win against it, its pretty mean

Quiggs
01-26-2007, 07:43 PM
Because you're going to destroy it trying to launch it on a drag strip and I like carnage.

cmcpokey
01-26-2007, 07:46 PM
remember... every clutch can smoke for a few seconds before it implodes

KingNothing
01-26-2007, 09:40 PM
Because you're going to destroy it trying to launch it on a drag strip and I like carnage.
what makes you think its gonna be destroyed? whats the difference between it and other clutches? isnt it a proformance clutch made to handle that kinda stuff? Remember i am new to cars and this forum so you gotta explain to me whats gonna happen

johnnynumfiv
01-26-2007, 09:43 PM
High rpm launch = fried clutch

KingNothing
01-26-2007, 09:49 PM
ok what about middle or low rpm? he'll be doing the same thing wont he? unless he's willing to fry his

Turbo.Jenkens
01-26-2007, 11:04 PM
If I were a betting man.... but I'm not; I would put money on the mustang for two reasons:

1) driver experience. He is " a good driver," and you are "new to cars."

2) Vehicle age. I wouldn't expect the VR4 to perform as it did in 1992 because engines loose compresion, turbos loose boost, tranie parts wear out , etc....

KingNothing
01-26-2007, 11:52 PM
If I were a betting man.... but I'm not; I would put money on the mustang for two reasons:

1) driver experience. He is " a good driver," and you are "new to cars."

2) Vehicle age. I wouldn't expect the VR4 to perform as it did in 1992 because engines loose compresion, turbos loose boost, tranie parts wear out , etc....
He is a good driver, but ive been driving for longer i should have said that he has more experience with manual transmissions...and as ive said i will have practice before i ever race anyone. Im not just gonna go out and kill myself the first time.

And my car will be running fine, the mechanic thats working on it will make sure of that for me.

Slicks
01-27-2007, 12:02 AM
ok what about middle or low rpm? he'll be doing the same thing wont he? unless he's willing to fry his
There saying that since you have AWD, your tires will grab, causing the clutch to slip. The Mustang on the other hand will spin the tires at a high RPM clutch dump.
Back to topic, I vote it to be a drivers race. Like already mentioned it depends on what condition the 3000GT is.

KingNothing
01-27-2007, 12:22 AM
There saying that since you have AWD, your tires will grab, causing the clutch to slip. The Mustang on the other hand will spin the tires at a high RPM clutch dump.
Back to topic, I vote it to be a drivers race. Like already mentioned it depends on what condition the 3000GT is.
what would be a good way to keep it from slipping? do i gotta just take off slower or would buying a new clutch be the key?

Rybitron
01-27-2007, 02:15 AM
AWD is much harder in the clutch than rear wheel.

i remember hearing a bit about that in a top gear episode. murcielago vs zonda i believe. i love that show.

Quiggs
01-27-2007, 08:03 AM
AWD cars aren't made for drag racing. You'll do one of two things- overrev it and burn some clutch material, or underrev it and bog it down, in which case the race will be over.

And where are you going to be practicing these launches? Launching on the street is completely different from the track. Tracks have so much rubber built up on them it's ridiculous.

neema_t
01-27-2007, 08:36 AM
the thing is, AWD was introduced in the audi quattro not because of its ability to launch quicker than other cars, but because it allowed faster cornering, better acceleration out of corners and was generally a better idea than rear or front wheel drive when driving in mud, gravel, ice, grass or whatever. then along came LSD's and AYC and OMG and ROFL and so on, basically evolving the AWD system, and then mitsubishi put their VR4 drivetrain (also seen in the lancer evo street and rally cars, and the galant VR4 (surprisingly)) in their supercar, the GTO/3000GT, and that was the end of that.

my point is AWD is designed for anything other than drag racing, theoretically it would be better than RWD if the clutch could never ever slip, but it does and AWD makes it do so. you could, if you just wanted to beat your friend, get a VCD controller and set a very heavily rearward biased torque split, like 95% rear 5% front, but i've heard those are very expensive.

Slicks
01-27-2007, 11:27 AM
what would be a good way to keep it from slipping? do i gotta just take off slower or would buying a new clutch be the key?
I would suggest joining a 3000GT specific forum, and asking owners there the best way to launch the car.

KingNothing
01-27-2007, 01:01 PM
I would suggest joining a 3000GT specific forum, and asking owners there the best way to launch the car.
Might do that once i get it, thanks.

Niko_Fx
01-27-2007, 03:13 PM

If there's one thing that sucks about a heavy ass AWD car is that....

My friend's clutch was messed up all the time :o

h00t_h00t
01-27-2007, 04:57 PM
How to do it in an Evo IX (According to Evo magazine):

"...The secret is to hold the car against the handbrake, clutch biting, engine boosting , any slack on the drivetraintaken up, before simply releasing the handbrake and punching away from the line. Its disconcerting at first but surprisingly kind to the car."

Something to try I suppose.

Sledgehammer
01-28-2007, 04:51 PM
It will also depend on the track. 3000gt will be better for a track with turns ranging in elevation and negative pitched corners. The mustang will be better for the straights, and possibly sweeping corners where the carrying speed would be higher. It also will depend heavily on how you drive each car (skill). Around a tighter course my money would be on the 3000gt, on a longer track such as Road Atlanta, the race would be tighter, but it would be great watching the race, (onboard camera :) ).

Check out this forum HERE (www.3si.org) for a good 3000gt webring

h00t_h00t
01-28-2007, 04:53 PM
I'm quite sure they are going to be street racing, probably in a straight line too.

Sledgehammer
01-28-2007, 04:58 PM
Well that figures... In that case, my votes for the mustang. I would rather see a track race than any straight line 15 second accelerator mashing.

KingNothing
01-29-2007, 09:27 AM
How to do it in an Evo IX (According to Evo magazine):

"...The secret is to hold the car against the handbrake, clutch biting, engine boosting , any slack on the drivetraintaken up, before simply releasing the handbrake and punching away from the line. Its disconcerting at first but surprisingly kind to the car."

Something to try I suppose.

Thanks that kinda sounds like it would work, im not sure but its worth a shot.

It will also depend on the track. 3000gt will be better for a track with turns ranging in elevation and negative pitched corners. The mustang will be better for the straights, and possibly sweeping corners where the carrying speed would be higher. It also will depend heavily on how you drive each car (skill). Around a tighter course my money would be on the 3000gt, on a longer track such as Road Atlanta, the race would be tighter, but it would be great watching the race, (onboard camera :) ).

Check out this forum HERE (www.3si.org) for a good 3000gt webring

If i can get him on a track, id love to do that. But i have a feeling we'll be drag racing on a drag strip...not street and actual track. And ive seen 3si.org, its good but i dont wanna pay til i actualy get the car.

I'm quite sure they are going to be street racing, probably in a straight line too.

Street, probably no...straight line yea, track would be better and more fun but he wouldnt do that.

Well that figures... In that case, my votes for the mustang. I would rather see a track race than any straight line 15 second accelerator mashing.

it would be less than 15 lol give the cars some credit. Yea id rather do a track race, it would give me the advantage and would be more fun.

Sledgehammer
01-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Yeh mid to high 13's I imagine. Good luck, bring back a slip.

KingNothing
01-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Yeh mid to high 13's I imagine. Good luck, bring back a slip.

sounds about right, i did see a clip of some guy who got his stealth to do mid to high like 7's or 8s...i would imagine 8's cus 7 is just insane. Ill try to find it.

h00t_h00t
01-29-2007, 05:10 PM
Street, probably no...straight line yea, track would be better and more fun but he wouldnt do that.
I don't blame him, overtaking on a track with two equally matched cars is difficult and usually ends up with contact. Look for some Touring car videos and you'll see what I mean.

cmcpokey
01-29-2007, 06:30 PM
settle it on the autocross track. tests the car and the driver. and both of those cars provide entertainment for the rest of the scca crowds. namely they laugh uncontrollably. but seriously, it is a great way to see what your car can do, and would give you a safe way to pull a straight up competition, timed to within a thousandth of a second.

h00t_h00t
01-30-2007, 05:26 PM
I wish we had the kind of autocross you get in America, what we call autocross is actually a weird combination of Rallycross and time trials. Autotesting (the one with the cones) involves handbrake turns, reversing and other low-speed car control skills. Neither are a brilliant way to test a car.

KingNothing
01-31-2007, 09:13 AM
I wish we had the kind of autocross you get in America, what we call autocross is actually a weird combination of Rallycross and time trials. Autotesting (the one with the cones) involves handbrake turns, reversing and other low-speed car control skills. Neither are a brilliant way to test a car.
Sounds like it tests the driver more than the car, still might be fun

Sledgehammer
01-31-2007, 11:24 AM
At various driving schools, they put you through the same maneuvers. In a Top Gear episode, they did similar things. Basically it gives you training to perform stunts and such things similiar to the ones you see in car commercials (at least thats what I guess).

jcp123
02-01-2007, 02:01 PM
In a drag, my money would be on the Mustang. AWD gives you a better launch, but the extra weight means the Stang will pull on you quickly - AWD is not really that well suited for drag racing, you need to have a ton of HP to really put the AWD to use AND make up for the weight gain.

Juggs
02-01-2007, 02:55 PM
if the mustang guy knows how to drive he'll have you. i have taken out a couple vr4's in my turd even.

mehrshadvr4
02-01-2007, 04:04 PM
good way to make you'r car faster. put catback,and boost controller and boost gauge.they are cheap in ebay.boost the car up to 14 psi (not more than that) and then you have a mid 12 sec car.don't forget to not launch the car hard if you don't have bracket for TC.launch from 4500rpm,or slip te clutch a little to reduse the stress from TC.you can use hand brake to bilt boost befor take off.it'll recuse the stress from TC.how good you turbos are?
edit. don't shift from red line.stock turbos are really small and you'll loos power after 5000 rpm.shift around 5500 to 6000 rpm.tht'll help you to hold the boost.

h00t_h00t
02-01-2007, 04:44 PM
A boost guage isn't going to make his car any faster, infact I think the VR4 will already have one.

Also 15 year old engine + 14psi + drag racing = blown engine.

mehrshadvr4
02-01-2007, 06:40 PM
A boost guage isn't going to make his car any faster, infact I think the VR4 will already have one.

Also 15 year old engine + 14psi + drag racing = blown engine.

you don't buy boost guage to make more power,you use it to masure the boost when you add manual boost controller.vr4 has one ,but it's fack and it dosn't show the right boost.as long as engine is healthy it'll be safe.so even if it's 15 years old or maybe 130k miles on engine,it'll handle the boost .15psi with stock turbo on a vr4 is like adding cold air intake on a honda,o it dosn't hurt anything

h00t_h00t
02-02-2007, 04:15 PM
.15psi? As in 0.15psi? Thats like moving down to sea level.

15psi would be around double what the car normaly uses, just how many of these mega horsepower cars have been built using 15 year old parts? There are loads of other Japanese turbo cars that are supposed to reliably take two or three times their original rated power and its just not true. Go and look on the autotrader websites there are far more tuned cars with lunched engines than there are that are reliably putting out 400-500hp.

mehrshadvr4
02-02-2007, 06:02 PM
i need to add my new car has 166k miles on it right now.it has about 450hp to the engine on 15psi using two wrx turbos.now stock turbos compare to those are nothing.as i said if the engine is healthy i'll handle the power ,if it's not then it'll go down soon or later even if it's stock.i don't know what you mean by 15 years old parts.i have seen one pushing close to 1000 hp to the engine using all old parts,but it wasn't really high mileag engine.

KingNothing
02-02-2007, 10:58 PM
yea ive heard that they stand up pretty well to decent hp upgrades. Just what ive heard thou. They say you can get em up to 750-800 hp if you know what your doin. althou i wont ever get it that high...maybe 450-500 max over the course of its whole life.

Edit: As for the drag track and car, the rich little punk is getting a new Camaro which i know i cant keep up with, and im gonna insist on a track with turns haha, im more of a cornering kinda guy anyways.

mehrshadvr4
02-03-2007, 08:28 AM
yea ive heard that they stand up pretty well to decent hp upgrades. Just what ive heard thou. They say you can get em up to 750-800 hp if you know what your doin. althou i wont ever get it that high...maybe 450-500 max over the course of its whole life.

Edit: As for the drag track and car, the rich little punk is getting a new Camaro which i know i cant keep up with, and im gonna insist on a track with turns haha, im more of a cornering kinda guy anyways.

if you do what i said,you'll smoke him,unless he sprays. if you have a healthy engine ,you can get 650whp safly with right turbo.

h00t_h00t
02-03-2007, 05:01 PM
i need to add my new car has 166k miles on it right now.it has about 450hp to the engine on 15psi using two wrx turbos.now stock turbos compare to those are nothing.
Any proof? Particulaly of the power?

Rockefella
02-03-2007, 05:13 PM
if you do what i said,you'll smoke him,unless he sprays.
Oh noEz, d4ng3R 2 t3h m4n1f0LD! !!11 lol 1!!1elvn!

mehrshadvr4
02-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Any proof? Particulaly of the power?
what do you want me to do? you pay me i'll take it to dyno.it'll put down 350AWHP.

Oh noEz, d4ng3R 2 t3h m4n1f0LD! !!11 lol 1!!1elvn!

there is no danger to manifold.LOL

h00t_h00t
02-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Don't make claims you can't prove, and don't say your car is reliable when according to your own thread you've owned it for almost two months. TVRs can last two months without breaking FFS.

mehrshadvr4
02-05-2007, 09:05 AM
Don't make claims you can't prove, and don't say your car is reliable when according to your own thread you've owned it for almost two months. TVRs can last two months without breaking FFS.

i bought the car with this much WHP.it has been making that much power befor i buy it.i had my othere car makingsame power,but it had only 70K miles on it.

h00t_h00t
02-05-2007, 04:48 PM
So the previous owner provided you with proof then? How hard is it to post that on here?

70cuda88
02-05-2007, 05:01 PM
well, i think the mustang would win, first of all, the guy has experience, and has just as much time to get even more ready than you (not that he will) but the mustangs have pretty good accell but i do think youll come off first if you practice timing. but watch out for him catching up, and so you can shift a little better get a light. helps a load

mehrshadvr4
02-05-2007, 07:36 PM
So the previous owner provided you with proof then? How hard is it to post that on here?

no proof,but i can see the boost gauge goes up to 15psi.i really don't care how much this car makes now.i'm just waiting till weather gets warmer then i'll put bigger turbos and my new engine in.

h00t_h00t
02-06-2007, 04:45 PM
My car's speedometer goes up to 120 and revcounter 8,000 and it does neither of these.

Why did you buy a car that claims to have 400hp if you are going to throw away the engine in three months?

rev440
02-06-2007, 05:04 PM
My car's speedometer goes up to 120 and revcounter 8,000 and it does neither of these.

Why did you buy a car that claims to have 400hp if you are going to throw away the engine in three months?

To make more then 400hp?

mehrshadvr4
02-06-2007, 08:39 PM

so i can sell the turbos that are already on it.:D it has some othere extra parts too.

KingNothing
02-07-2007, 09:34 AM
Ok new question. New proformance cams, complete downpipe(no cats at all), the K&N airfilter, and a boost controller if it doesnt already have one on it. Think that could put down close to 400 awhp? and will this still be ok for daily driving to school and work and anywhere else?

mehrshadvr4
02-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Ok new question. New proformance cams, complete downpipe(no cats at all), the K&N airfilter, and a boost controller if it doesnt already have one on it. Think that could put down close to 400 awhp? and will this still be ok for daily driving to school and work and anywhere else?

no.the stock turbos are too small.if you buy 15Gs and 550cc injectors and fule pump then you can.you can but 13gs too but you need to run race gas to get 400whp and the price is about the same as 15gs.you don't need cams unless you have big turbos.cams are not cheap and you can buy turbos for that price.you can get 650whp on stock cams.they cost about the same.you don't need any othere modification to put 15gs on.they are bolt on turbos and you can put them on if you have tools.it cost you $500 $600 or maybe more to put the cams on.remember if you don't know much about cars i highly recomend to take it to tuning shop to tune it.i can sell you my fuel pump ,turbos , injectors and S-AFC for $1800+ shipping.that's all parts you need for your car to get 400whp + down pipe and y pipe and MBC .but you need to wait till i part the car out.i can sell you the MBC and boost gauge for $50 shipeed if you want to. my turbos have 1500 miles on them before i total the car and injectors and fuel pump have about 5k miles on them.you can buy turbos before catback as well and .it'll get you to 400whp with stock cat,but i recomend to buy down pipe and y pipe.i have the y pipe too and you can buy ebay down pipe for $100.

KingNothing
02-07-2007, 03:38 PM
no.the stock turbos are too small.if you buy 15Gs and 550cc injectors and fule pump then you can.you can but 13gs too but you need to run race gas to get 400whp and the price is about the same as 15gs.you don't need cams unless you have big turbos.cams are not cheap and you can buy turbos for that price.you can get 650whp on stock cams.they cost about the same.you don't need any othere modification to put 15gs on.they are bolt on turbos and you can put them on if you have tools.it cost you $500 $600 or maybe more to put the cams on.remember if you don't know much about cars i highly recomend to take it to tuning shop to tune it.i can sell you my fuel pump ,turbos , injectors and S-AFC for $1800+ shipping.that's all parts you need for your car to get 400whp + down pipe and y pipe and MBC .but you need to wait till i part the car out.i can sell you the MBC and boost gauge for $50 shipeed if you want to. my turbos have 1500 miles on them before i total the car and injectors and fuel pump have about 5k miles on them.you can buy turbos before catback as well and .it'll get you to 400whp with stock cat,but i recomend to buy down pipe and y pipe.i have the y pipe too and you can buy ebay down pipe for $100.

Thanks i may take you up on that offer if you still have em when and if i ever get it, its iffy right now

hermitageVR4
02-08-2007, 11:16 PM
new turbos and such are a bit extreme for basic mods heres what you need to do, look up the "free boost mod" its simple and safe and it will bring you to 320hp/315tq

cheap easy install mods: ebay y pipe,stillen downpipe, cone filter, boost gauge, boost controller

with these mods you will walk the stang if you dont do it already stock

KingNothing
02-09-2007, 09:31 AM
new turbos and such are a bit extreme for basic mods heres what you need to do, look up the "free boost mod" its simple and safe and it will bring you to 320hp/315tq

cheap easy install mods: ebay y pipe,stillen downpipe, cone filter, boost gauge, boost controller

with these mods you will walk the stang if you dont do it already stock

free boost mod is suppost to make it equal to the 2nd gen 3kgt vr4s right? i heard it was just a little restrictor in some tube? as for down pipes i found this one its stainless steel, its a pretty much straight thru and i believe its 3" diameter. It didnt give me a brand but once i get home ill get the link off my bookmarks. Y pipes you say just get off ebay? how much do you think all off this will be if you had to guess?

mehrshadvr4
02-09-2007, 10:54 AM
free boost mod is suppost to make it equal to the 2nd gen 3kgt vr4s right? i heard it was just a little restrictor in some tube? as for down pipes i found this one its stainless steel, its a pretty much straight thru and i believe its 3" diameter. It didnt give me a brand but once i get home ill get the link off my bookmarks. Y pipes you say just get off ebay? how much do you think all off this will be if you had to guess?

ebay y pipe sucks.the y pipe won't add much power as i experienced ,but you'll need it to run more than 15 psi.they made the oem y pipe some how to blow up if you pass 15psi. yea free boost gives you same power as 2nd get vr4 so if you add MBC there is no need to do it.about down pipe.i have ebay down pipe on my car,it's cheap and works great.it's much lighter than oem as well.i made 352 awhp with 15gs and that down pipe @ only 13psi.i gained 55 whp from 11.5 psi to 13 psi.my EBC was broken and i couldn't pass 13psi.i was sure i could get 420 to 440 awhp on pump gas and 17 to 18 psi.i bought a new ebc but my car jumped timing ,and after that i got t bone.lol:D

jediali
02-09-2007, 11:07 AM
ebay y pipe sucks.the y pipe won't add much power as i experienced ,but you'll need it to run more than 15 psi.they made the oem y pipe some how to blow up if you pass 15psi. yea free boost gives you same power as 2nd get vr4 so if you add MBC there is no need to do it.about down pipe.i have ebay down pipe on my car,it's cheap and works great.it's much lighter than oem as well.i made 352 awhp with 15gs and that down pipe @ only 13psi.i gained 55 whp from 11.5 psi to 13 psi.my EBC was broken and i couldn't pass 13psi.i was sure i could get 420 to 440 awhp on pump gas and 17 to 18 psi.i bought a new ebc but my car jumped timing ,and after that i got t bone.lol:D
are you just trying to lose us? Do you have a dyno in your drive? otherwise your a fine mechanic. (no sarcasim intended):)

mehrshadvr4
02-09-2007, 12:22 PM
are you just trying to lose us? Do you have a dyno in your drive? otherwise your a fine mechanic. (no sarcasim intended):)
i did it last year,but i might be able to find it.i guess i have to bring the dyno shit next time when i dynoed my car.:D

KingNothing
02-09-2007, 04:38 PM
heres the downpipe i found, tell me what you think of it?

http://www.ssautochrome.com/search.itml?icQueryTitle=3000gt

Worked88GT
02-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Granted The 3000GT has the Advantage of the AWD but Like everyone is saying You will either fry or glaze a Clutch. I know In Subaru They have a Primary Drive Gear in the Trans for the AWD and when you do burnout its not good for it cause you can blow a trans apart. I dont know if they have the same Mitsubishi. Im assuming its something pretty close. The All the Mustang has to Do is rev it up to 2 1/2K Let the Clutch out 1/2 and than right before the Tree turns gree. Let it out. He wont Smoke his tires they will just Chirp. my GT has clost to 400HP And I rev mine up to 2k and let the clutch 1/2 out and dont have a problem. Best place for you to practice is on the strip if thats where your gonna be racing. Because that other guy is right there is alotta rubber built up on the strip which makes your launch alot different than on the street. Oh and if you have any other questions about your car you can ask me. Im a Mechanic. Later.

hermitageVR4
02-09-2007, 11:55 PM
you wont kill your clutch after just a couple of launches here and there but is certainly not recomended on a regular basis, as for the downpipe the all seem the same so I really couldnt tell you whats good and bad, just keep in mind they will keep you from passing emissions(I think anyway) Instead of a downpipe you could get a test pipe its a hell of alot cheaper (70$ 3sx.com), it will remove the cat and help free up the flow, but if you have the money buy a dp

the cost of all the stuff (filter,test pipe,manual boost cont., ypipe) can easily be had for 150-250$ check out 3sx.com for a huge selection of 3000gt specialty parts.Shop around

Rockefella
02-10-2007, 12:33 AM
Lolol i have a skyline that i race likez every weekndd. da best ting 2 do is to rev it up to like 11000 rpmz and den drop da cluch. mah skyline has abowt 500 bhpz so i nevar lost but i chalenge evryone else!!!11 lolz!!

kingofthering
02-10-2007, 12:38 AM
Dude... what the hell was that for?

cauz mA CoZIn GoT Da LeXUZ wiT engINe and EXHauSTZ kiT and LiCENSe PLAtE fRamEZ We SMOkz ViPor and FErrare aT stopliGHtZ iN BuzY ReZIdenTIal AreAZ.

mehrshadvr4
02-10-2007, 11:31 AM
heres the downpipe i found, tell me what you think of it?

http://www.ssautochrome.com/search.itml?icQueryTitle=3000gt

too expencive for what it is.see i bought same thing here in ebay.keep your old down pipe so you can put it back when you want to do emition test.those down pipes are like 20lbs lighter than stock down pipe with cat.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-99-Mitsubishi-3000GT-VR-4-Turbo-Down-Pipe-Downpipe_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33633QQihZ014Q QitemZ330084680462QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

KingNothing
02-10-2007, 10:04 PM
too expencive for what it is.see i bought same thing here in ebay.keep your old down pipe so you can put it back when you want to do emition test.those down pipes are like 20lbs lighter than stock down pipe with cat.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-99-Mitsubishi-3000GT-VR-4-Turbo-Down-Pipe-Downpipe_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33633QQihZ014Q QitemZ330084680462QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
so basicaly ebay everything i need? and yea i planned on keeping the whole stock exhaust system.

mehrshadvr4
02-11-2007, 05:09 PM
so basicaly ebay everything i need? and yea i planned on keeping the whole stock exhaust system.

no just the down pipe from ebay.i wouldn't buy y pipe from ebay.go to dynamicracing.com or 3sx.com for y pipe.

wanker rotary
03-02-2007, 08:55 PM
well, simply, the 3000Gt will have better traction in 1st gear, if you're courageous in your launch procedure, and then the mustang will win. No matter what you've done, the engine has probaly lost horsepower by now, and the 3000gt is very, very heavy. tires, hummidity, mileage, and condition of the turbo internals.

KingNothing
03-03-2007, 06:51 PM
well, simply, the 3000Gt will have better traction in 1st gear, if you're courageous in your launch procedure, and then the mustang will win. No matter what you've done, the engine has probaly lost horsepower by now, and the 3000gt is very, very heavy. tires, hummidity, mileage, and condition of the turbo internals.

So your saying that even if someone gets a 3kgt vr4 to that crazy 850+ AWHP mark its still gonna get smoked up by a stock '07 barn door nosed Muststain? Kinda the impression i got when i read "No matter what you've done..." Not to mention the stock times on both cars are a few tenths of a second difference, so one would assume that sticking 25-50 more hp on one would push it over. Am I right?

IWantAnAudiRS6
03-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Yes, you are right. His handle is a little too fitting... ;)

Quiggs
03-03-2007, 09:29 PM
This thread sucks without pictures of destroyed differentials.

KingNothing
03-03-2007, 11:57 PM
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s285/kingpresto/Blowndifferential.jpg

Just to make you happy, i got one off the interweb...enjoy