PDA

View Full Version : MS Vista goes on sale

taz_rocks_miami
01-30-2007, 12:39 AM
Well, it fanally went on sale to the general public. What are your thoughts on it? Is anyone here going to upgrade? If you are, why? If you're not, why not?

adrenaline
01-30-2007, 12:45 AM
From what I've read, it's essentially "a warmed over XP". I won't be upgrading for a while, XP Media Center is serving my needs quite well right now. I got Office Professional 2007 today, which launched alongside Vista. Can't say I like the new interface.

Rockefella
01-30-2007, 12:48 AM
I've been on the Vista Beta for a few months now. I like it a lot.

I'll prob. buy it eventually.

taz_rocks_miami
01-30-2007, 12:50 AM
From what I've read, it's essentially "a warmed over XP". I won't be upgrading for a while, XP Media Center is serving my needs quite well right now. I got Office Professional 2007 today, which launched alongside Vista. Can't say I like the new interface.

I have XP Media Center also on my desktop and I feel the same as you. I won't be upgrading for a while. Doesn't the Vista interface remind anyone of the Mac OS X interface?

Rockefella
01-30-2007, 12:52 AM
I have XP Media Center also on my desktop and I feel the same as you. I won't be upgrading for a while. Doesn't the Vista interface remind anyone of the Mac OS X interface?
They're definitely pretty similar in style. It's the 'glass' look that makes it seem like MacOS X, along with the 'gadgets', but that's just about it.

jediali
01-30-2007, 02:44 AM
They're definitely pretty similar in style. It's the 'glass' look that makes it seem like MacOS X, along with the 'gadgets', but that's just about it.
i would quite like vista home premium but its £166 what has it got over basic? i should see for myself..

Rockefella
01-30-2007, 02:56 AM
i would quite like vista home premium but its £166 what has it got over basic? i should see for myself..
A bunch of bells and whistles pretty much. It looks fancier, and you get more apps I believe.

drakkie
01-30-2007, 03:14 AM
Well I certainly won't be switching :)

At the moment I have a dual-boot setup with openSuse 10.2 and XP. I only have to have XP on,because of the school programs :o

I watched the video's and it doesnt seem to be offereing that much more,except a new interface. My mission is to keep my system as much as possible MS-free :D

Cotterik
01-30-2007, 03:20 AM
its all about performance for me, whether or not itll make the most of my dual core 64-bit setup or not so much for the money

mmm_aapls
01-30-2007, 03:58 AM
From my experiences with vista and reading some reviews this is what I have concluded:

Vista looks better and is better well behaved. How ever, it does not perform nearly as well. I say this because of these reasons:

1.) Lack of support for OpenGL. Anything that uses this will simply not run right on vista.
2.) resource intensive environemnt means alot of computing power just goes into running the system (this is to be expected I guess)
3.) Benchmarking in things like encoding, PCMark ect are actually slower in vista than XP. There is no perception of applications loading / working faster.

It will be interesting to see how things go. I am waiting, then I might consider to upgrade when the first patches are released.

Rockefella
01-30-2007, 04:09 AM
Didn't expect so much XP support here. If it helps at all, since I've been on Vista, I haven't, and don't want to use XP again. It's so, old fashioned. :)

NuclearCrap
01-30-2007, 06:25 AM
its all about performance for me, whether or not itll make the most of my dual core 64-bit setup or not so much for the money

Here you go: http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/index.html

There's almost no difference in benchmarking softwares, though there are some imcompatibilities with some softwares but they managed to get them working eventually. I've heard from somebody with a X1950XTX that he saw no difference in gaming performance between XP and Vista. Not bad for a brand new OS, but -1 because it conflicts with antivirus softwares until MS fixes this with SP1. :)

Even so I would switch because I love that Vista theme too much and it's the last thing I need for DX10, aside from the game itself. :p

baddabang
01-30-2007, 06:37 AM
Does this mean if you buy a new PC from a company you can get Vista in it? Or is it just for sale individually?

Rockefella
01-30-2007, 06:46 AM
Does this mean if you buy a new PC from a company you can get Vista in it? Or is it just for sale individually?
I would think you get Vista, if not now, fairly soon.

dracu777
01-30-2007, 07:35 AM
I am extremely disappointed with how they are going about their "content protection". This alone would give it a worse rating in most benchmarks. I am sure that there are other unadvertised resource draining "features" embedded in Vista:
http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsid=7675

drakkie
01-30-2007, 07:51 AM
I am extremely disappointed with how they are going about their "content protection". This alone would give it a worse rating in most benchmarks. I am sure that there are other unadvertised resource draining "features" embedded in Vista:
http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsid=7675

So if I understand correctly from the article, you have to download your music from Microsoft sources or get crap quality ? :o

I guess MS is lucky the Linux interfaces are still not as n00b-proof as XP or they will lose a lot of customers.

jediali
01-30-2007, 08:03 AM
So if I understand correctly from the article, you have to download your music from Microsoft sources or get crap quality ? :o

I guess MS is lucky the Linux interfaces are still not as n00b-proof as XP or they will lose a lot of customers.
absolutley. what happened to the healthy marketplace. Maybe linux could develop a more competitive product for the average PC user - (or are they being payed off not too). I want a Mac for PC personally!

Wolf03
01-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Both my computer and laptop have legit copies of Windows XP and honestly, it is unworthy of buying Vistam since only my computer will be able to support it. I'll wait awhile until the protection is fully cracked and I may give it a shot then.

I did however get Office 2007 Enterprise. I must say I love the new "Ribbon" interface and all the documents are half the size of the previous versions. (Due to the new file format). :)

Office is one of those things Microsoft did really well.

VtecMini
01-30-2007, 10:22 AM
I had a beta of Office 2007 and it was bloody brilliant. Then it stopped working. I cried for a while. It's not something I like to dwell on for too long.

I'm sure it'll crop up somewhere soon. Then the world will be shiny again.

car_fiend
01-30-2007, 11:54 AM
i wont b upgrading quiet soon. i have an able laptop, and have ordered my free copy (yet its still to arrive) but i use my laptop for everything, school work, games, music, etc... and from what i've heard the new sound setup for vista throws sound cards out of whack. http://pc.ign.com/articles/759/759538p1.html .

blackcat77
01-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Yes it is a warmed over XP. Yes I am getting it today and installing it on both our desktop computers.

Why? Because every time since Win 95 that MS has released a new OS, I've gotten it on day one. And I *swore* that I wasn't going to do it this time but over the weekend, I caved in to the hoopla...

Vindesh17
01-30-2007, 12:35 PM
I would think you get Vista, if not now, fairly soon.

Im guessing they would make it an option just to milk the market.

drakkie
01-30-2007, 12:43 PM
absolutley. what happened to the healthy marketplace.

Basically MS has a monopoly. By keeping the source-code a secret there is no way another OS like Linux cannot give competability with many different pieces of hardware. For example my WLAN-card gives big trouble with it.

Luckily Neelie Kroes and the EU give MS pretty big fines. I heard that they allready had a case running against them for the latest Vista :D

This picture captures it pretty good:
http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/foto/07669669_kophouden.jpg

SlickHolden
01-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Some of my computer shops have been using Vista for more then 2 months now. My last stop too one about 6 weeks ago was a total shock too me, I was looking at the OS and thinking WTF is this, It's Vista already? Then last night i seen Big silly billy gates on TV just about too release Vista.

He spoke of some upgrades i like in the OS system, Parental control not just content but time as well, No need too buy this software it's in the OS..
If i was using a AMD 64 X2 5200 right now i'd buy 64 Vista. But since I'm still in the world of 32 i wont..

jorismo
01-30-2007, 01:56 PM
I have XP Media Center on my new notebook. The shop called me today to inform me that I can have a free upgrade because my notebook is new. I said I wanted to think about it...

I think that because it's so new, it's still full with some small failures and errors. I think I'll wait for 2 years or so and then get it by my dad's work...

Spastik_Roach
01-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Nope, i'm still getting an apple come the next computer upgrade.

VtecMini
01-30-2007, 02:29 PM
Nope, i'm still getting an apple come the next computer upgrade.I have a lid. It has a sticker on the top that says "For usage only on worm cans". I'm not sure where it came from or what it's for, but here, you can have it. I hope you find a use for it.

:)

jediali
01-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Basically MS has a monopoly. By keeping the source-code a secret there is no way another OS like Linux cannot give competability with many different pieces of hardware. For example my WLAN-card gives big trouble with it.

Luckily Neelie Kroes and the EU give MS pretty big fines. I heard that they allready had a case running against them for the latest Vista :D
thats really annoying, its like communist computers. Liken this to the russians having to drive crappy ladas when so much more is on offer. Im really angry now.:mad:

TVR IS KING
01-30-2007, 04:10 PM
I have a friend who bitches constantly about how this will just be annoying and slow. He may be right, but I'll be he's impressed when he finally sees it.
I won't be upgrading soon. If I could, I would get Windows XP. Windows 98 just doesn't cut it anymore, so Vista looks a long long way off for me.

Spastik_Roach
01-30-2007, 04:51 PM
I have a lid. It has a sticker on the top that says "For usage only on worm cans". I'm not sure where it came from or what it's for, but here, you can have it. I hope you find a use for it.

:)

Cheers.

*ITEM OBTAINED*

digitalcraft
01-30-2007, 05:21 PM
I'll probably keep XP on my laptop for games and put linux on my desktop again when I get it fixed.

If WoW worked in linux it'd be the end of microsoft in my personal world.

Timeh
01-30-2007, 06:44 PM
I'm hardly ever playing games, mainly internet and Photoshop etc. So as soon as the opportunity arises, I'm getting a Mac.

taz_rocks_miami
01-30-2007, 06:45 PM
I have XP Media Center on my new notebook. The shop called me today to inform me that I can have a free upgrade because my notebook is new. I said I wanted to think about it...

I think that because it's so new, it's still full with some small failures and errors. I think I'll wait for 2 years or so and then get it by my dad's work...

If there's a Vista Media Center edition I would consider the upgrade, as soon as they work out the bugs of course. :)

Rockefella
01-30-2007, 06:47 PM
If there's a Vista Media Center edition I would consider the upgrade, as soon as they work out the bugs of course. :)
I'm pretty sure it comes with a 'media center', especially if you have Vista Ultimate. Hold on, lemme check to see if my beta build has it.

Yep. It's there.

SlickHolden
01-31-2007, 09:24 AM
You know what worried me about Mac, The more they tell the world they are free of hackers and virus and are indestructible, Soon one day the worlds hackers might turn there attentions too them as a challenge, And i'd be very scared if they hit hard because they won't be prepared for it.. But at the moment they aren't too interested at all since more then 90% of the worlds Pc's are MS OS.

P3RG4R3C
01-31-2007, 09:50 AM
Here you go: http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/index.html

There's almost no difference in benchmarking softwares, though there are some imcompatibilities with some softwares but they managed to get them working eventually.

The difference may be insignificant with such high-end hardware... I'd like to see it run on a single-core P4 like mine and lose only ~3% in 3dmark06.

taz_rocks_miami
01-31-2007, 02:45 PM
I'm pretty sure it comes with a 'media center', especially if you have Vista Ultimate. Hold on, lemme check to see if my beta build has it.

Yep. It's there.

So, all Vista versions come with Media Center? Thanks for checking Rock. :)

Revolution
02-01-2007, 06:19 AM
Here's an excellent indepth review of Vista (http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista.asp). Judging by some of the responses in this thread some of should read it :P

Rockefella
02-01-2007, 09:32 AM
So, all Vista versions come with Media Center? Thanks for checking Rock. :)
Well, mine has it. I'm not sure if it comes w/ Vista Home Basic or Business, but it's on my Ultimate beta.

taz_rocks_miami
02-01-2007, 09:51 AM
You know what worried me about Mac, The more they tell the world they are free of hackers and virus and are indestructible, Soon one day the worlds hackers might turn there attentions too them as a challenge, And i'd be very scared if they hit hard because they won't be prepared for it.. But at the moment they aren't too interested at all since more then 90% of the worlds Pc's are MS OS.

Macs aren't totaly unprotected, I still have my old iMac, and I've always had Norton System Works complete with anti-virus just in case I came across an odd Mac (OS 9) virus. I've upgraded to OS X.3 so now I have that version of Norton on it.

So even if hackers suddenly started to go after Apple products, there is a way to protect them. :)