PDA

View Full Version : Honda S2000 Type R

lightweight
01-31-2007, 07:17 AM
According to some sites, Honda is considering building an S2000 Type R variant. This idea is not entirely new, as there was a plan back in 2004 to build one.

The S2000 Type R model year 2004 proposal (official document from Honda) consisted of:

* target of 100kg weight reduction
* balanced engine internals (Type R treatment)
* Type R exclusive interior
* air conditioning becomes a factory option
* SRS air bag becomes a factory option
* sound deadening material deleted
* front tire: 205/55R16 to 205/45R17 (implemented on AP2)
* rear tire: 225/50R16 to 245/40R17 (implemented on AP2)
* Type R exclusive suspension tuning
* Type R exclusive uprated brakes
* Type R exclusive body color(s)
* spare tire deleted
* smechanical LSD
* spower soft top deleted
* lightweight carbon hard top
* audio becomes factory option

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/honda-s2000-type-r-ar26316.html

Vindesh17
01-31-2007, 07:42 AM
I doubt Honda would change the S2000 that much. Especially if its going to look that ugly.

NSXType-R
01-31-2007, 08:04 AM
Yup, I heard rumors about this in a Honda forum. Sounds cool.

I think they're going to do it with the current body.

That ugly chop is a supposed picture of the next generation S2000. I doubt that it looks anything like the next S2000.

lightweight
01-31-2007, 08:47 AM
That ugly chop is a supposed picture of the next generation S2000. I doubt that it looks anything like the next S2000.

They say that it will be built to compete with the MX5, but it will be sportier with a 200-220 hp K20A engine. That's why the looks will be a bit toned down, not so edgy.

Sounds a good business move, but hardcore enthusiasts will always want a sport special like the S2000, especially now that Honda competes in F1

ScionDriver
01-31-2007, 09:04 AM
I like the idea, I like the current S2000 and always felt it was underrated.

NSXType-R
01-31-2007, 11:03 AM
They say that it will be built to compete with the MX5, but it will be sportier with a 200-220 hp K20A engine. That's why the looks will be a bit toned down, not so edgy.

Sounds a good business move, but hardcore enthusiasts will always want a sport special like the S2000, especially now that Honda competes in F1

Yes, I heard about that too. What's wrong with aggressive styling? They want to make another hairdresser's car?:D

I really liked the S2000 and wished they made a coupe version of it.

I also thought that the Type R package thing is supposed to be on the current generation as a parting gift, sort of.

jediali
01-31-2007, 11:31 AM
I like the idea, I like the current S2000 and always felt it was underrated.
i love the current s2000, this one isnt as pretty

NSXType-R
01-31-2007, 11:38 AM
i love the current s2000, this one isnt as pretty

It's just a concept anyhow. A car with barely any windshield is not going into production.:D No chance, unless it's a kit car or something.

I like the way they did the headlights and rear, I just wish it was a coupe.

EDIT: I was meaning this by the way.

http://www.autoweek.nl/newsdisp.php?ID=5834&cache=no

But yeah, back to jediali, the one they're planning is quite ugly.

jcp123
01-31-2007, 11:41 AM
It'd be awfully hard to get a 100kg weight reduction with a/c in there, that's for sure.

lightweight
01-31-2007, 12:18 PM
It'd be awfully hard to get a 100kg weight reduction with a/c in there, that's for sure.

I think that the 100 kg reduction refers to the stripped out basic version. That won't be that hard with deleted A/C. Maybe they can remove electric windows and mirrors. Also the roof will be hardtop (maybe C/F?), so the 100 kg target is pretty much feasible.

What worries me is the cost. The original S was incredible value for money, but if you get the Type R for extra $10,000 (just a guess, no clues whatsoever), then it won't be that appealing to it's already small target audience.

lightweight
01-31-2007, 12:33 PM
EDIT: I was meaning this by the way.

http://www.autoweek.nl/newsdisp.php?ID=5834&cache=no

This concept is made by Mugen. They have done such design exercises on the S2000 before (the SS2000 IIRC).

I doubt that this will make it into production, as it's not diversified enough from the actual Honda product. Honda would never license Mugen to produce a "copy-cat" version of their intellectual product.

On the other hand, if Mugen decides to pay Honda royalties, the cost of the Mugen S2000 would be stratospherically high, considering that it will be sold in small quantities

jcp123
01-31-2007, 02:30 PM
I think that the 100 kg reduction refers to the stripped out basic version. That won't be that hard with deleted A/C. Maybe they can remove electric windows and mirrors. Also the roof will be hardtop (maybe C/F?), so the 100 kg target is pretty much feasible.

What worries me is the cost. The original S was incredible value for money, but if you get the Type R for extra $10,000 (just a guess, no clues whatsoever), then it won't be that appealing to it's already small target audience.

Ah, gotcha. I misread and thought they wanted a/c to be standard in there, not optional.

Other than that, I agree, I wouldn't think 100kg would be too hard to get rid of either. I'd ditch the radio, carpet, and power stuff to begin with - kind of the way I'd build a sports car if I ever had the opportunity. I'd almost consider ditching power steering, too, but with tires as wide as those...maybe not.

2ndclasscitizen
01-31-2007, 05:47 PM
So, less powerful than it is now

Niko_Fx
01-31-2007, 06:27 PM
Looks horrible, hopefully just a $h*tty drawing.

Ferrer
02-01-2007, 03:57 AM
Wasn't the replacement of the S2000 canecelled?

lightweight
02-01-2007, 09:22 AM
According to Winding Road, The S2000 successor may be an Acura.

Honda is moving well away from the hardcore, high revving uncompromising feel of the S2000, more towards the mainstream with the current proposal also fitted out with a retractable power hard top.

The rear-drive proposal is still at the ‘maybe’ stage, there definitely is a market for a more accommodating S2000 successor, especially with a bigger, better cabin.

http://news.windingroad.com/countriesmarkets/japan/japan-report-s2000-successor-to-get-acura-badge/

jcp123
02-01-2007, 01:13 PM
To my mind, if they got rid of the digital gauges, I think the S2000 interior was pretty ideal.

NSXType-R
02-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Wasn't the replacement of the S2000 canecelled?

Guess not. But if the new one is going to be a lower performing one than the current one, then why bother?

jcp123
02-01-2007, 01:55 PM
Less power doesn't have to mean lower performing. If they can get a meaningful reduction in weight, they can make it just as fast in a straight line while improving its tossability, etc - takes it closer to the roots of sportscars, IMHO, although all the options they're gonna do it up with kind of muddles that picture.

Ferrer
02-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Guess not. But if the new one is going to be a lower performing one than the current one, then why bother?
Lower price... ;)

NSXType-R
02-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Ferrer, you're right.

Back to jcp123- I meant it as an overall performance. Each generation should be an evolution of some sort of the next. The S2000 was somewhat ahead of the Mazda MX-3. If it becomes its equal (which is what they're planning to do), then that means it probably gains in weight and loses in power. Then what's the point of building a car that decreases in overall performance from the original? It doesn't make sense. It was a hot seller as it is. Keep it that way, don't mess with a winning formula. If you want to, make two versions, one hardcore, the other softer. Why make the enthusiasts suffer?

jcp123
02-01-2007, 02:10 PM
I understand what you mean...I don't really know what they're planning to do with the car, but even though I'm no fan of the S2k, I respect it and hope they don't water it down.

I have often thought similarly to you, that there should be real, strippo hardcore performance versions of so-called performance cars - they type of thing where the options list is limited to a heater, radio, maybe a/c. I'd love to do that with Pontiac, and then leave the more plush versions of the car to other dicisions to make their own. Think Chevrolet with a Miata-killer, Pontiac taking the same thing, stripping it down, and putting it in the performance class of the BMW M3 and selling it for ~$25-30.000, and Oldsmobile doing yet another rendition of it that's roughly equivalent to a Z3 (or Z4 or whatever) - kind of luxurious, kind of sporty, not overly loaded with either. As long as the styling doesn't reveal the whole badge-engineering thing GM seems to be so fond of, it's an idea that could work.

lightweight
02-01-2007, 04:27 PM
It was a hot seller as it is.

It sold well, but it was never a hot seller. The intention was not to sell, anyway. It served as a halo car, improving the brand image of Honda, a role it accomplished rather successfully.

The MX-5 is a hot seller.

But, I agree with you NSX, they should not water it down. Get a better interior, update the exterior, keep the motor and the recipe for success is still there:)

NSXType-R
02-01-2007, 05:04 PM
I think it still exceeded sales expectations. They weren't expecting it to sell that well.

Let's just hope the next S2000 will stay mostly the same. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, do you guys think the Acura concept of the next supercar is any good?
(maybe I should make a new thread for this?)

lightweight
02-02-2007, 02:26 AM
Do you guys think the Acura concept of the next supercar is any good?

I don't like the fact that they went front engined for their "supercar". After the HSC concept I expected a V10 NSX successor..

Apart from that I don't really like the design language of the car, but that's personal opinion

NSXType-R
02-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Yes, I feel the same. It's different, even with all these electronic gadgets and stuff like that on it. It's not the same. Stick with the original formula please. And ditch that SH-AWD for pete's sake. :D