PDA

View Full Version : Change of tactics

fpv_gtho
02-02-2007, 07:56 PM
http://drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=23256&vf=2

Change of tactics
Richard Blackburn, The Sydney Morning Herald, 02/02/07

Holden’s new Epica medium car marks a turning point in the Holden versus Ford struggle, writes RICHARD BLACKBURN.

Holden Epica

The perennial battle between Holden and Ford will switch to a new front this year, with both manufacturers to re-enter the medium car market. Holden this morning unveiled its new Epica mid-sized sedan at the Brisbane motor show, while Ford is expected to announce it will bring back the Mondeo at next month’s Melbourne motor show.

With Commodore and Falcon sales at their lowest for more than a decade, both brands are keen to increase their exposure to the booming medium-car market.

The Epica will go on sale in early April, while the Mondeo is likely to be launched before the end of the year.

The Epica will be powered by the only 2.0-litre six-cylinder engine on the market.

The in-line six-cylinder 105kW engine is less powerful than its four-cylinder rivals in the segment but more fuel efficient, using just 8.2 litres/100km, compared with 9.9L/100km for the top-selling Toyota Camry. The Epica also will be available with a 2.5-litre engine producing 115kW and using 9.3L/100km. It will have a five-speed automatic only.

Holden’s fourth Korean-built vehicle is expected to be priced from $25,000 and fleets will get even sharper deals, putting added pressure on Camry sales.

The European-sourced Mondeo is likely to be aimed at retail customers and pitched against the Mazda6, Subaru Liberty and Honda Accord.

Ford refuses to confirm any details about the car, other than the fact that it is under consideration for the local market. ‘‘We are not prepared to discuss our plans for Mondeo at this stage,’’ spokeswoman Sinead McAlary says.

But it is believed Ford Australia will give the green light to the Mondeo next month. Once the announcement is made, it would be logical for the car to arrive in Australia soon after, as the new Falcon will be launched early in 2008 and Ford will not want the launches to clash.

Expect a diesel Mondeo to be part of the lineup, as a diesel version of the Falcon is still some way off. This would allow Ford to meet the growing demand for diesel engines in passenger cars.

Holden is also considering a diesel Epica.

The medium-car market is dominated by Toyota’s locally built Camry, which has long held close to half the market. In recent years, however, the Japanese-built Mazda6, Honda Accord and Subaru Liberty have benefited from the switch to smaller four-cylinder cars.

The Japanese brands are also carving out a slice of the fleet market, as more company car owners are being given the freedom to choose their own model.

Subaru has logged double-digit growth in fleet sales for the past few years.

Sales of mid-sized cars defied the downward sales trend in the second half of 2006. Since the launch of a new model Camry in August, sales of medium-cars are up by 15.4 per cent, compared with a drop of 9.2 per cent for the large-cars since the launch of the new Holden Commodore.

Holden boss Denny Mooney says the Epica will be aimed at the value end of the market.

It is built at GM’s Bupyong plant in South Korea but locally tuned by Holden engineers.

Unlike the Commodore, the Epica meets Euro IV emission standards.

The Epica range will have three models – the 2.0-litre CDX, which comes only with a manual transmission; the 2.5-litre, automatic CDX and the more luxurious CDXi automatic, which has a leather trim option.

The Epica comes reasonably well equipped, although it does not get stability control, which is a standard feature on the Commodore and Captiva soft-roader. Standard features include 16-inch alloy wheels, front and rear power windows, cruise control, air-conditioning, a six speaker CD, anti-lock brakes, traction control and front and side airbags.

The CDXi models add 17-inch alloy wheels, sports body kit, climate control air conditioning, side curtain airbags, trip computer, upgraded audio system, fog lamps and leather-wrapped steering wheel and gearshift.

Meanwhile, Mitsubishi’s plans to launch a four cylinder version of the locally built 380 sedan have stalled due to supply problems. The manufacturer had planned to buy in a four-cylinder engine from Malaysian car maker Proton.

Mr. Jinx
02-02-2007, 08:22 PM
In CDXi guise it looks kinda fat and bloated. But like the VE, I'm hoping that it looks much better in the metal.

Being Korean, many people are going to be outwardly against it, going on about how it won't be able to match the Accord or Camry in quality...but for the price, it might just be worth it.

The interior looks quite good - even though its very conservative.

There seems to be plenty of standard gear, although I'm dissapointed at the absence of a stability program.

SlickHolden
02-03-2007, 12:51 AM
I was the same i went onto holdens websight too look up some info on the vectra dimensions, And looked down and seen a overseas model of the VE. Then looked again and seen Epica:eek: Thought it was a chev badged VE.

After looking at it it seems too be more similar too the old and new Camry.
The engines are way to small, A 2.8lt version of the allytech would be a later option but they want people to buy them and not choose them over a Ve i guess;).

Blitz_
02-03-2007, 01:20 AM
"In a world of look-alike, drive-alike sedans"

..they sure hit the nail on head there, the Epica certainly isnt any much different from what I see on the road today.

Donthcya just love silly marketing gimmicks :D

fpv_gtho
02-03-2007, 02:13 AM
After looking at it it seems too be more similar too the old and new Camry.
The engines are way to small, A 2.8lt version of the allytech would be a later option but they want people to buy them and not choose them over a Ve i guess;).

Its surprising me how many people have been critical of the power outputs, labelling it as gutles for a 6 cylinder. Sure, the 2.5L with 115kw is hardly competitive, but the 2L with 105kw is right about what it needs to be. Too many people though seem to be overlooking the size of the engines, and thinking its the piston count that matters.

As for the car, i hope it has a rough go in the market. Holden are kidding themselves with all these ex-Daewoo's, and its a credit to their marketing team that they somehow manage to market the VE as a "world beater" and serve us crap in other market segments.

Mr. Jinx
02-03-2007, 02:46 AM
You've got to give the Captiva and Epica more credit that "ex-Daewoos" though. Sure, they are by no means segment leaders, but they're not total trash either.

Both cars have been developed for the world, and consequently, have recieved a lot of global input. I expect that it will be of some competency.

I suppose Holden is doing what in needs to survive. They had to ditch the European products (which I sorely miss) because they were becoming too expensive. The Vectra failed dismally, even though it was a good car; and Barinas were selling at a loss.

Its a shame that GM went to Korea for cars, but I think that given time, they'll have some great products out there.

fpv_gtho
02-03-2007, 02:56 AM
Its harsh, i'll admit that, but it'll take time for GM to turn their Korean operations into more than where Daewoo left them. Even then, GM has no intention for them other to remain as low cost options.

charged
02-03-2007, 03:56 AM
Epica or Mondeo ? ,give me the mondeo thanks:D class leading chassis dynamics, build quality and looks. Hopefully the 2.2 T/Diesel makes its way here
Duratorq TDCi Diesel 2198 cc
(Stage IV) 4 cylinders in-line; DOHC; 16 valves; alloy cylinder head; direct injection with high-pressure, common-rail, multi-point fuel injection system; turbocharger with intercooler and transient torque overboost function; electronic throttle; dual-mass flywheel 114 kW
(155 PS) at 3500 min-1 (rpm) 360 / 400* Nm at 1800 min-1 (rpm)

http://www.carpages.co.uk/ford/ford_images/ford_mondeo_16_08_05.jpg

http://news.caradisiac.com/IMG/jpg/Chevrolet-Epica-3.jpg

fpv_gtho
02-03-2007, 04:22 AM
We should be getting the new Mondeo by all rights, which looks a little like this

charged
02-03-2007, 04:30 AM
Bonus that looks even better:D

Mr. Jinx
02-03-2007, 04:36 AM
If the Mondeo does make it here (and it probably will), the price gulf between it and the Epica will make the game quite interesting.

I'd take Mondeo over an Epica anyday, but I wonder how value-conscious buyers will react...and from what I can imagine, its in the Epica's favour.

fpv_gtho
02-03-2007, 04:38 AM
Well i wouldnt be too surprised to see Holden flog off 1500 Epica's, whilst Ford sell maybe 1000 Mondeo's. Both optimistic figures.

adrenaline
02-03-2007, 04:39 AM
If the Mondeo does make it here (and it probably will), the price gulf between it and the Epica will make the game quite interesting.

I'd take Mondeo over an Epica anyday, but I wonder how value-conscious buyers will react...and from what I can imagine, its in the Epica's favour.

I guess it will be the difference between the Barina and the Fiesta. The Mondeo will come at a premium, so it's Ford's job to communicate to the consumers that the premium is worth it.

Mr. Jinx
02-03-2007, 04:41 AM
I guess it will be the difference between the Barina and the Fiesta. The Mondeo will come at a premium, so it's Ford's job to communicate to the consumers that the premium is worth it.
Heh, in the end, it is.

adrenaline
02-03-2007, 04:47 AM
An issue I have come across on these Euro Fords is the indicator stalk. Ford are lazy and leave it on the left side. I don't know where many people stand on this issue, but that alone would turn me off the car. It was the primary reason my mum got an Astra over the new Focus in December (Holden do a proper conversion job).

fpv_gtho
02-03-2007, 04:49 AM
Im not too bothered by it really, surely not enough to let it be a deciding factor in a purchase.

adrenaline
02-03-2007, 04:55 AM
If you're constantly changing between cars it would get irritating. It feels un-natural. The wipers would get workout if you're not thinking :)

SlickHolden
02-03-2007, 08:33 AM
LOL i had so much to say and as i was going along saving bit by bit i lost the past:p..

So i'll have to wing it ****!

I didnt that engine was a little prick dick 6:p..

Yes GM only thinks of Daewoo as a low price budget carmaker and nothing else.. But the Captiva and not the CAP! T! VA! lol Is there first above there quality car. And with the Epica is it a new built car? Or just a old daewoo with new teeth??.

Also price the mondeo and epica would be apart in price, Could the Mondeo be the new Vectra?.
My mum has always wanted a Vectra, And only until now as there second hand and not brought here anymore she has been able too dream of one.

I also hate the indicator on the left side it does throw you off at first, But if you own the car and only drive that one car you will be ok, But if your in this car as a work car but have another or the wife's car or the 2nd car you will get caught out at times.

And them epica pic's are crapo need some better ones.
http://picsorban.com/upload/epica.jpg
People will buy them on vaule for money more then quality for money, Just like the Viva they will have huge options and standard gear.

syko
02-03-2007, 09:02 AM
If you're constantly changing between cars it would get irritating. It feels un-natural. The wipers would get workout if you're not thinking :)

My mum does that sometimes when swapping from the territory to the focus, though i don't have a problem with it.

Ferrer
02-03-2007, 10:21 AM
I suppose there's one good thing for the Epica in its segment, straight six smothness. I don't think anyone elses offers a straight six engine without going premium, and such small ones at that. Altough pretty much everything else seems to be a bit rubbish.

Then again it seems that the Mondeo will have Volvo's 3.2-litre straight six engine, altough that means it will the most expensive version of the range, as opposed to GM's policy of sixes for eveyone...

Mr. Jinx
02-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Yes GM only thinks of Daewoo as a low price budget carmaker and nothing else.. But the Captiva and not the CAP! T! VA! lol Is there first above there quality car. And with the Epica is it a new built car? Or just a old daewoo with new teeth??.
Like the Captiva, the Epica is a new car, not just a rebadged Daewoo.

Like Slick suggested, I think the Mondeo will possibly become Holden's Vectra. Because of its somewhat premium pricing, it became invisible to the market.

The Mondeo will probably become Ford's Vectra, but it should probably fare better. Because of the petrol price fear, it will be favoured in a downsizing market. But will it face the same fate as Holden's near-premium Vectra?

I find in unfortunate, and also surprising that the Vectra failed. It was a good car, and it wasn't THAT expensive. It had the quality and European flair to match the price though. Maybe it was the CDXi's near $50K asking price and the PULP drinking 3.2 V6.

adrenaline
02-03-2007, 06:49 PM
My mum does that sometimes when swapping from the territory to the focus, though i don't have a problem with it.

LOL that's the exact combo we would have had, except now it's Territory and Astra :) Soon it will be Territory Turbo...

SlickHolden
02-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Like the Captiva, the Epica is a new car, not just a rebadged Daewoo.

Like Slick suggested, I think the Mondeo will possibly become Holden's Vectra. Because of its somewhat premium pricing, it became invisible to the market.

The Mondeo will probably become Ford's Vectra, but it should probably fare better. Because of the petrol price fear, it will be favoured in a downsizing market. But will it face the same fate as Holden's near-premium Vectra?

I find in unfortunate, and also surprising that the Vectra failed. It was a good car, and it wasn't THAT expensive. It had the quality and European flair to match the price though. Maybe it was the CDXi's near $50K asking price and the PULP drinking 3.2 V6.
Cheapest CDXI Vectra i have seen is $27,000 now 2nd hand.

Told my mum the epica might be $29,000 new with similar options, She said it looks like a Camry:p But if she had the money she might consider a look but added the 115kw might be too light even for her as she tends to have a heavy foot, As she has blown smaller engines over the years but never a decent 6 with some power.

Mr. Jinx
02-03-2007, 08:21 PM
I found an 03 CDXi with 27 000kms for roughly that price. I'd hit it.

Heh, I think your mum needs a VE Slick :p

fpv_gtho
02-03-2007, 10:55 PM
Ford'll be trying to break into the Accord Euro/Mazda 6 part of the market when they bring the Mondeo in, and shouldnt have too many problems with the right strategy (as we know, a Ford weakness).

I think Holden ended up falling short with the Vectra as they were forced into pushing it upmarket when Europe decided thats where they wanted it, and perhaps underprepared.

motorsportnerd
02-03-2007, 11:44 PM
Yep - that Mondeo will be targeted at Mazda6/Accord Euro/Subaru Liberty. Not at the Epica or Camry.
Ford will need to market the Mondeo heavily to reach the target market. I suspect they'll need a different name to Mondeo (Telstar springs to mind...that had the appropriate following from the target market for more than a decade).
Also, Ford will have to get past the perception that Ford means "low quality" or "lowest common demoninator" from an image conscious market. The car itself will probably go straight to the top of the class (at least until the next gen Mazda6/Euro/Liberty arrive next year). Its the marketing and image associated with Ford products that will need to be overcome.
After all, most Mondeo sales will need to be conquest sales. Much of the Falcon market is fleet, so that's a different market.

As for the Epica - its two main selling points will be price and the plus of a smooth six-cylinder engine. It'll sell well. May even challenge the Camry as the market leader. And it'll compare well to the Sonata and Camry - which are going to be its main rivals.
What we will end up with are three mid-size segments - the value end (Epica, Camry, Sonata), the middle "quality/sports" end (Mazda6, Mondeo, Liberty, Euro) and the premium end (Passat, 318i, Audi A4) - each segment appealing to distinctly different buyers.

2ndclasscitizen
02-04-2007, 03:06 AM
It was the primary reason my mum got an Astra over the new Focus in December (Holden do a proper conversion job).
Really? They never used to. The old model had the left hand indicators.

Mr. Jinx
02-04-2007, 03:39 AM
GM use a universal system for such things to allow easy left/right hand drive conversions. Its called UNIBUS or CAMBUS or something like that.

2ndclasscitizen
02-04-2007, 03:51 AM
Must be new then.

Mr. Jinx
02-04-2007, 04:08 AM
Its been around since the 03 Vectra.

2ndclasscitizen
02-04-2007, 04:21 AM
Ah right. Never been in a Vectra, but heaps of the old model Astras, and they were all LH indicators

Spastik_Roach
02-04-2007, 04:45 AM
Epica looks good from that angle in the link in the 1st post, Silver with the bodykit.

Every other pic...not so good.

I'd still go with a Mondeo.

Mr. Jinx
02-04-2007, 04:54 AM
Ah right. Never been in a Vectra, but heaps of the old model Astras, and they were all LH indicators
Probably because of the older design.

adrenaline
02-04-2007, 05:38 AM
Really? They never used to. The old model had the left hand indicators.

I was surprised as well. The indicators are clever, they have two levels - a slight touch for 3 flashes (for lane changes) and a heavier touch for them to stay on. I don't know how many cars have that feature, but it's quite helpful.

Mr. Jinx
02-04-2007, 04:02 PM
I was surprised as well. The indicators are clever, they have two levels - a slight touch for 3 flashes (for lane changes) and a heavier touch for them to stay on. I don't know how many cars have that feature, but it's quite helpful.
Both the AH Astra and the ZC Vectra copped a lot of flack in reviews for that.

Blue Supra
02-04-2007, 04:30 PM
Id hit the mondeo. Just looks so much nicer.

I'd expect the epica to be in the mid 20's to low 30's if they want to be in the game. mondeo should be low-mid 30s.

fpv_gtho
02-04-2007, 07:45 PM
Well Camry is $28K to $39K, Sonata is $26K to $35K (or $31K for the top spec 4 cyl).

Mazda6 is $33K to $43K (no V6 option either) and Accord Euro is $34 to $43K (no V6 option either, but there is the other Accord line).

Epica should be a bit cheaper than the Camry, maybe even cheaper than Sonata if its going to really succeed. Mondeo however, will probably end up being more expensive than both the Accord Euro and Mazda6 by credit of the V6 option.

IBrake4Rainbows
02-04-2007, 08:05 PM
I'm used to LHD indicators simply because every car i've driven has them.

the Epica looks like ass. basically. Holden do such a wonderful job of styling the VE and then nothing else in their line up matches it because it comes from O/S.

it's going to do pretty well i'd imagine - provided it can overcome the Korean stigma. the Sonata seems to do a pretty good job of that so hopefully it's at least on par with that car.

motorsportnerd
02-05-2007, 05:35 AM
Mondeo however, will probably end up being more expensive than both the Accord Euro and Mazda6 by credit of the V6 option.

Assuming Ford provides the V6 option in the local Mondeo lineup. I've heard talk of standard 4-cylinder (2.0 or 2.3 litre I assume), a turbo-diesel option and a 5-cylinder 20v Turbo (same engine as the Focus XR5), but haven't heard anything about a V6.
Wouldn't a V6 option put it too close to the Falcon for comfort?

fpv_gtho
02-05-2007, 05:50 AM
The XR5 engine would basically negate the V6 option, at arount 300nm/160kw its very similar figures, but delivered differently by virtue of the straight layout and one less cylinder.

I'd imagine simply by Ford chasing the Mondeo theyve put its threat to the Falcon to the wind. Sure, the first few years may see 4 cylinder only vehicles to tie Falcon over till 2008 (which again, needs to survive till 2010 untill it can have the burden taken by heavy exports)

IBrake4Rainbows
02-05-2007, 06:01 AM
Isn't the falcon getting a bit smaller with Orion anyway? the Mondeo would only cannibalise sales from within the Ford group - people would most likely see it or the Mazda 6 as possible purchases.

as cool as the car looks and indeed is, it's not likely, if only due to simple economics, shouldn't happen.

If people want a 4 Cylinder premium sedan or hatch, send 'em Mazda's way. or better yet, come up with another Telstar style arrangement . it'd be cheaper for both parties :)

fpv_gtho
02-05-2007, 06:03 AM
The thing is, the current Mondeo/6 IS a Telstar arrangement. Theyre not made alongside each other, and not really a simple rebadge either, but theyre on the same platform.

And yes, Falcon should be smaller for 2008, but you'll probably be hard pressed to notice. Wheelbase will be the same, but overall length and overhangs are apparently shorter.

IBrake4Rainbows
02-05-2007, 06:06 AM
The platform may be the same but the costing and vehicle placement will be the key feature - as it stands the 6 does not directly compete with Falcon on sales - a Mondeo could very well.

Seeing as though the Falcon might be moving slightly upmarket regardless, we'll see how long this talk lasts.

fpv_gtho
02-05-2007, 06:10 AM
At the end of the day though, even if they lose 1 Falcon sale to every 2 Mondeo's sold, and even again if its even 1 Mazda6 sale lost to every Mondeo sold, thats more profit to Ford.

IBrake4Rainbows
02-05-2007, 06:13 AM
more profit to Ford Mo Co Worldwide - it does nothing for local manufacturing.

This will indeed be of primary concern to Ford AU - who no doubt are keen to sure up the secure future of Broadmeadows as a manufacturing, design and R&D element of Ford Global.

fpv_gtho
02-05-2007, 06:17 AM
Maybe on the surface, but one thing Toyota has over everyone is a clear structure in their models. Ford right now have nothing on offer for those stepping out of a Focus, but not into a Falcon. A sale lost now may be a sale gained in 5 yrs etc.

Broadmeadows' (well, Geelong really) R&D future is pretty secure. Theyve got Orion LHD on their plates atm, as well as the T6 light commercial platform. Now theres also some light rumours being spread of them receiving a $2B SUV program from the 'states.