PDA

View Full Version : want to save an E30

ripper46
02-14-2007, 08:01 AM
A few days ago I came across an e30 318is, which ( at first sight) seems to be OK. I live 70 kilometres away from it (I live in Belgium and the car is located in Holland)
It had 150000 kilometres on the clock, year: 1990,previous owner claims that he is a big E30 fan(25 years old) and he wants to sell because he wants to buy a 320is. Asking price was 4000 euros but I allready said (via msn) that that was too much and he agreed that price movement was possible. Servicing has been done by himself and an independent garage (fully documented) but no record of previous owners :( (isn't it possible in holland to track the owners, because over there the cars have a numberplate for life??:confused: ) he had the car for 1.5 years and kept it in a closed garage and claims zero rust. last year he put a new muffler, new springs, new shockabsorbers(don't know if it is the correct english term :o )and the rear brake pads. He thus claims perfect mechanical order. 2 weeks ago he passed a technical inspection at an official bmw dealer (think this is obligatory in holland:confused: )

My unexperienced eye thinks this might be worth considering, if I am going to undertake the 140 km trip I will also bring a "touring" inspector who will investigate the car on 250 points. Has my untrained eye missed something? would it be worth going over there and paying about 100 euro's on the inspection ?
I am planning to do about 10000 kilomtres a year and I can spend max 4000-5000 euro's per year on it. (this would be my first car:D) I only buy a car for its fun factor but a little reliability would be appreciated:) .

Lagonda
02-14-2007, 08:41 AM
For 4k, you can get something newer, safer and more reliable.

But if it has to be a BMW then well yeah, it looks to be in good condition... You'll have to drive it before you know for sure..

bmwpower
02-14-2007, 09:57 AM
Well good thing you're bringing a mechanic along, some people try to save on that and then the car costs them an arm and a leg. The car looks very clean, no noticable rust or scratches, as for the price i'm not too sure. If it ends up going through though nice job and i hope you leave it looking like u got it.

McReis
02-14-2007, 09:59 AM
The 318is is not only a rare car and very interestin car, as is it stronger and more reliable than the even rarer 320is.
While the 318is might not be the dream e30, it is certainly the best 4 pot after the M3 and 320is, which are virtually the same car.
138bhp are more than enough for the 318is to be hugely fun. Specially because being a 4 cylinder engine it is light. The 16 valve engine requires revs, but is very nice and strong. The car has M-Technik suspension, making the ride a bit harder but favouring the handling. With an LSD I suppose that is a perfect car to gain driving experience, as long as you don't forget it's a pure car that has to be driven carefully.
That interior is one of the things I like most about the 318is, ans it seems to be perfect. That usually says a lot about the way people treat their cars.
4000€ might be a bit. But I can't imagine you buying anything more special, interesting and well made for that sort of money. You will avoid depreciation too. ;)
Go there and see the car in person. Have a little drive if you can and talk to the owner. There's nothing like meeting the owner to judge a 2 hand car.
Good luck.

IWantAnAudiRS6
02-14-2007, 10:01 AM
Beautiful car, I say buy it if it's sound. Looks awesome; a true '80s icon.

McReis
02-14-2007, 10:02 AM
a true '80s icon.
That only went on sale in 1990. :D

The_Canuck
02-14-2007, 10:36 AM
That only went on sale in 1990. :D

I think he's referring to E30's in general :p

McReis
02-14-2007, 10:42 AM
I think he's referring to E30's in general :p
I got that, but I like to annoy! :D

Clique
02-14-2007, 11:47 AM
ahhh a pendantic portugese man...:D

digitalcraft
02-14-2007, 03:54 PM
Why does it have an M on the front? >.>

nizaam
02-14-2007, 11:41 PM
I'm a huge E30 fan...own my 3rd one now...all 6 cylinders though...323i, 325i & now the 6 cyl 320i....if I can get an E30 318iS in that condition over here..I'd buy it immediatley....but take it for a spin...if there's no suspension or drivetrain damage...those cars are perfect....esp with the LSD....

IWantAnAudiRS6
02-15-2007, 12:38 AM

*pokes in eye*

You know what I meant! :p

henk4
02-15-2007, 01:15 AM
The 318is is not only a rare car and very interestin car, as is it stronger and more reliable than the even rarer 320is.

you are talking about a special version of the 318 is, that was only available in Portugal and Italy, if i am not mistaken. "Ours" was a much more civilised one, not as powerful as the 320.

For a BMW one of things to watch for is blue smoke from the exhaust on the overrun. If that is visible your oil consumption will not only be high, but your engine is due for some major refurbishments:)

4000 is a rather steep price, even for a car that has been well maintained. You can check to see whether the car is in the database of the NAP (Nationaal Auto Paspoort) which would give you some ideas about its history and whether the 150,000 km is genuine. Apart from that, if it is the car shown in the pics, it looks rather nice, but indeed be sure to take somebody along that knows his stuff about beamers.

McReis
02-15-2007, 03:57 AM
Why does it have an M on the front? >.>
Because it has some M-technik equipment such as bumpers, seats and suspension.

you are talking about a special version of the 318 is, that was only available in Portugal and Italy, if i am not mistaken. "Ours" was a much more civilised one, not as powerful as the 320.
We had a 320is which was a full M car. It has exactly everything the M3 has (gearbox, differential, interior, suspension) with the regular body and a lesser capacity engine, due to tax issues. Our 318is was just like that Ripper is considering buying.

Ferrer
02-15-2007, 04:05 AM
We had a 320is which was a full M car. It has exactly everything the M3 has (gearbox, differential, interior, suspension) with the regular body and a lesser capacity engine, due to tax issues. Our 318is was just like that Ripper is considering buying.
The 320is had a 192bhp engine, hadn't it?

IBrake4Rainbows
02-15-2007, 04:13 AM
I'd be wary of anything with a 318 badge or engine. but this seems to be a pretty well maintained example. your buying from an enthusiast who obviously knows what he's talking about.

if you can talk him down to Three thousand it might just be worth considering.

Ingolstadt
02-15-2007, 06:27 AM
looks very clean ! get it if mechanic says yes.... :) one of my favourite BMWs. :)

Dantera22B
02-15-2007, 04:11 PM
i too have found a 318i in the local paper, its a k-reg though so i'm not sure whether its aan e30 or e36. can anyone tell me when they stopped produciing the e30? its red aswell by slight coincidence. any help would be welcome

Ferrer
02-15-2007, 04:15 PM
i too have found a 318i in the local paper, its a k-reg though so i'm not sure whether its aan e30 or e36. can anyone tell me when they stopped produciing the e30? its red aswell by slight coincidence. any help would be welcome
The saloons and estates were in production from 1982 to 1991. Convertibles lasted until 1993.

Dantera22B
02-15-2007, 04:30 PM
i've read that the touring was available until 1994 and that the saloons and coupes until 1992, making it eligible to be a k registered car in the uk. but i keep hearing different things from different people. not doubting you ferrer just want some confirmation thats all mate. cheers anyway though ;)

Ferrer
02-15-2007, 10:27 PM
i've read that the touring was available until 1994 and that the saloons and coupes until 1992, making it eligible to be a k registered car in the uk. but i keep hearing different things from different people. not doubting you ferrer just want some confirmation thats all mate. cheers anyway though ;)
Don't worry that's what I found. In fact technically the E36 was introduced in 1992, so there might still be some E30's registered in 1992.

ripper46
02-16-2007, 05:06 AM
Everything is set to go :)
the only thing that stands between me an the car is a 1 week snowboard trip
this is perticularly anoying because the owner won't keep it specially for me, so I will have to hope that he didn't sell in the meantime. I also got some more info on the servicing and history, so now I Know everything that happened to the car after it was imported from germany in 2005 (and from who he bought the car in 2005) I even know which parts he used for servicing and repairs( or at least he claims to have used). The owner also checked on what the car is going to be inspected, and he said that it will probably pass nearly flawless.

And now I play the waiting game :d

LandQuail
02-16-2007, 05:06 PM
My girlfriend bought a 1988 525i for $2,000. It's got 175,000 miles on the clock, but hasn't given a lick of trouble in six months. Also, it's sitting on M5 wheels circa 1995, so it looks the business.

I can't overrate the joy of owning an older high-class car over a modern econobox. Just stay away from Biturbos, and it's hard to go so far wrong you'll deeply regret buying it.

ripper46
03-03-2007, 01:36 PM
I went to see the car today
:( turns out that the car had numerous faults
the car needs new brake linings new springs and possibly a new diff
I wonder how much this would cost?

Quiggs
03-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Brakes and springs are cheap. The differential can be expensive. Find a used one out of a wrecked car, and have that put in.

All of these problems are excuses to upgrade.