PDA

View Full Version : Honda introduces A-VTEC

kingofthering
02-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Honda released info on the new "A-VTEC" several months back, and it's supposed to increase torque, power, and fuel economy, while reducing emissions.

Now, several months later, it has been discovered that they have filed patients for a Valvetronic-like system.

I spotted this off Autoblog.

So....
Fanboys... Get ready to wet dream for the next-gen VTEC system in your FlY Azz CiVIc tHATz GoT NOZZZZ and TUrBOz

Discuss

The_Canuck
02-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Discuss

If they aren't going to use it in a new RWD car, or perhaps a TSX Type S...I don't care.

:D

NSXType-R
02-17-2007, 08:18 PM
Yes, I got this news a while ago off another forum.

Here's a link from the patent office.

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT6968819&id=XRQUAAAAEBAJ&dq=6968819

I don't know how it works. Anyone care to explain from the patent?

Improving the VTEC system seems to be a good idea. Maybe we'll see it on the next supercar from Honda. :D

ruim20
02-18-2007, 06:28 AM
It looks pretty staright forward, an improvment on vtec, looks like a progressive valve adjustment, instead of the 2/3 stage valve openings, this new system, can do infinite adjustements to the valve openning instead of just 2 or 3.

Ferrer
02-18-2007, 10:01 AM
If they aren't going to use it in a new RWD car, or perhaps a TSX Type S...I don't care.

:D
I do care if it brings improvements in performance and fuel ecnomomy to normal cars.

Kitdy
02-18-2007, 10:09 AM
Yes, I got this news a while ago off another forum.

Here's a link from the patent office.

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT6968819&id=XRQUAAAAEBAJ&dq=6968819

I don't know how it works. Anyone care to explain from the patent?

Improving the VTEC system seems to be a good idea. Maybe we'll see it on the next supercar from Honda. :D

Why is the TL not RWD? That enrages and boggles my mind. I drive a TL very frequently, and it's lack of RWD is the only fault I really notice with the car.

h00t_h00t
02-18-2007, 04:50 PM
It looks pretty staright forward, an improvment on vtec, looks like a progressive valve adjustment, instead of the 2/3 stage valve openings, this new system, can do infinite adjustements to the valve openning instead of just 2 or 3.

I liked the way you got a surge of power when it changed cams, it was like a predictable turbo lag.

The_Canuck
02-18-2007, 04:54 PM
I do care if it brings improvements in performance and fuel ecnomomy to normal cars.

Pffft who drives normal cars? :rolleyes:

clutch-monkey
02-18-2007, 05:12 PM
great honda has new engine technology..now bring back the integra :mad:

Matra et Alpine
02-18-2007, 05:13 PM
I liked the way you got a surge of power when it changed cams, it was like a predictable turbo lag.
Yeah but all that really meant was that prior to the cam change the engine was NOT producing as much power as it could have.
I'd rather have the performance then the "kick" :D

Quiggs
02-18-2007, 05:15 PM
Yeah but all that really meant was that prior to the cam change the engine was NOT producing as much power as it could have.
You have no idea how many people don't get that...

Ferrer
02-18-2007, 05:25 PM
Pffft who drives normal cars? :rolleyes:
I don't, I drive a supercharged hot hatch... ;)

Matra et Alpine
02-18-2007, 05:42 PM
You have no idea how many people don't get that...
You think, maybe I should have included a dyno graph to demonstrate ....

Coventrysucks
02-18-2007, 06:19 PM

I think the idea was that for the 99% of the time when your other half was pootling round to the shops to get the latest copy of "CLoser" magazine, or when you were commuting along the M40, the engine was quiet, gentle and sipped the black stuff, then for the 1% of the time you were hooning down some B roads you had some extra juice on tap at the top of the rev-range.

A nice gesture, but as you say - if it is going to be powering a "performance car", then it does seem a rather redundant feature as you aren't going to be that fussed about it being "quiet and gentle".

NSXType-R
02-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Why is the TL not RWD? That enrages and boggles my mind. I drive a TL very frequently, and it's lack of RWD is the only fault I really notice with the car.

You go ask AHM. :p

On a side note, I saw a TL Type-S today, the '08 version. Looks good to me. Plenty of power, just lack of RWD. I'm hoping for RWD too. SH-AWD is a bit on the heavy side IMO. Look at the RL, for example. Not enough power. It's not that it's a bad product, it's a heavy car and people expect more for that money. :(

The_Canuck
02-19-2007, 08:14 PM
I don't, I drive a supercharged hot hatch... ;)

Exactly! :D

whiteballz
02-19-2007, 10:19 PM
matra, i dont mean to contradickt you, but this is what the legends' dyno sheet (stock) is meant to look like...

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8063/dynogy2.th.jpg (http://img84.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dynogy2.jpg)

Matra et Alpine
02-20-2007, 03:54 AM
matra, i dont mean to contradickt you, but this is what the legends' dyno sheet (stock) is meant to look like...
It's the same, just on a different scaling. THat looks lie a computer calculation rather than real world though as note how the torque starts at zero and the power go to zero ? Not in the real world they don't
THe point being made is clear in it too. See how it flattens before switching to the second valve timing and getting the "boost" ?
That's the point, with AVTEC, that won't be there, it will have the optimum fuel/air and timing across the full range with no "step".

Rockefella
02-20-2007, 04:03 AM
It's the same, just on a different scaling. THat looks lie a computer calculation rather than real world though as note how the torque starts at zero and the power go to zero ? Not in the real world they don't
THe point being made is clear in it too. See how it flattens before switching to the second valve timing and getting the "boost" ?
That's the point, with AVTEC, that won't be there, it will have the optimum fuel/air and timing across the full range with no "step".

Matra, look at the picture again, preferably from further away.

Matra et Alpine
02-20-2007, 04:14 AM
Matra, look at the picture again, preferably from further away.
explain the torque "kick" at 5000, especially relative to teh drop just before it.

Rockefella
02-20-2007, 04:19 AM
explain the torque "kick" at 5000, especially relative to teh drop just before it.

I can't, it's too phallic for me to interpret.

Matra et Alpine
02-20-2007, 04:32 AM
I can't, it's too phallic for me to interpret.
If yours looks like that, time to go get a check up at an STD clinic :D

Rockefella
02-20-2007, 04:41 AM
If yours looks like that, time to go get a check up at an STD clinic :D

It's not easy living in Jersey.

jediali
02-20-2007, 05:44 AM

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8063/dynogy2.th.jpg (http://img84.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dynogy2.jpg)
hilarious! get your 1.8T tuned like that and you can nev4r loose.

Matra et Alpine
02-20-2007, 07:00 AM
hah it finally clicked :D

Good one..... duh !!!!!!!!

jediali
02-20-2007, 07:17 AM
hah it finally clicked :D

Good one..... duh !!!!!!!!

"ughh..boss.."..you just got it?

jcp123
02-21-2007, 02:13 PM
I think the idea was that for the 99% of the time when your other half was pootling round to the shops to get the latest copy of "CLoser" magazine, or when you were commuting along the M40, the engine was quiet, gentle and sipped the black stuff, then for the 1% of the time you were hooning down some B roads you had some extra juice on tap at the top of the rev-range.

A nice gesture, but as you say - if it is going to be powering a "performance car", then it does seem a rather redundant feature as you aren't going to be that fussed about it being "quiet and gentle".

I'd agree with that 100%

BradG
03-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Doesn't the BMW 7 series have continuously variable valve timing AND continuously variable intake runner length?

What's taking Honda so long? (along with everyone else)