PDA

View Full Version : Removal of stupid comments

Kudosdude
05-16-2003, 01:11 AM
For Ultimatecarpage to live up to its name, I think you must start considering removing some of the more ridiculous or abusive comments.

I've just read some of the comments on the chevrolet chevelle ss and having swear words on the title smacks of a lowering of standards . . . maybe it's just me?

Anyone else agree or am I just turning into a prune?

henk4
05-16-2003, 01:47 AM
well, first of all it is good to see the comments being refreshed. Obviously the forums took so much effort that dealing with the comments was somewhat neglected. I fully appreciate that there is a difference in level of the comments, after all any idiot has access to internet. Sometimes there is a filter on the comments, mine have been refused a couple of times, either for not adding anything to the discussion or for not being clear enough (the tongue was a bit too far in cheek). I personally regret the use of SMS speak and the general lack of care given to grammar and spelling (although typo's always occur when you are in a hurry and surfing in the boss' his time) but we also have to understand that part of the readers are still in the growing phase of their live (whether they will make it is not always obvious) and is reflected in their say less balanced comments I just looked again (I had already read it) at the comment on the Chevelle (by Chevy Man) and I think he was trying to paraphrase a lot of the real shitty comments. He might better have chosen another title but I think he was trying to be funny, and as far as I am concerned he succeeded.

Wouter Melissen
05-16-2003, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Kudosdude
Anyone else agree or am I just turning into a prune?

The quality of comments have forced me to reconsider the entire comment system. With the forums in place, there now is a place for visitors to spew their guts. Maybe the main page should only reflect our opinion and not those of visitors, but then there is the 10% of high quality comments that would go with the rest.

I am open for suggestions.

henk4
05-16-2003, 02:30 AM
My suggestion is that the comment section should be maintained. It will require some diligent scrutinising by the moderators, and as far as I know there are quite a few (on a voluntary basis), but I would prefer when the news section is added at the beginning of the week to be able to immediately make comments on the new cars. I always check whether people have already commented. I think relegating that to the forum section will be less effective. The forum section is more of a general nature and not to discuss individual cars. If i would like to read about what people think about the Porsche 934 i would like to see that in the section devoted to the car and not in the forum. If somebody would like to compare the 934 and 935 than the forum would be the place to go.

Kudosdude
05-16-2003, 03:23 AM
Personally I think the comments should be of a higher quality, while I have no problems with "I want this car when I'm older", I am not a fan of comments that don't add anything to the page.

Perhaps comments that don't meet the criteria should be returned with an attached comment, i.e. "do you want to rephrase that"

Otherwise perhaps the user should be directed to the forum to express their opinion? A forum is the sounding board afterall.

(Glad I'm not a prune afterall Wouter ;) )

IBrake4Rainbows
05-17-2003, 01:32 AM
Perhaps comment made should go through a moderation system like comments on the website, moderators sift through all the completely meaningless comments and thus save the reputation of the site. difficult to set up, maybe, but at least yoú'd save space otherwise used up by idiots ranting on about "My car will waste yours". who really cars if his reliant robin will waste the other dudes BMW Isetta?

ozexige
05-27-2003, 10:08 PM
Hi Kudos - can't email you (something about a block on sending you emails?) - thought you might like to reveiw your comments on slams and opinions? Maybe you'd like to read a few of 'henk4's posts, maybe not.

Anyway is this the correct forum?

Regards and best wishes,
Oz Exige

Kudosdude
05-28-2003, 01:18 AM
Hello Oz - Am not sure I quite understand what you mean by

thought you might like to reveiw your comments on slams and opinions

my comments?

Anyway I have no real say on this board I'm just a regular visitor.
As regards this thread I was more concerned with the threads on the car pages, rather than the forum.

Anyway I have no problem with Henk4, nor you, sorry if that got lost somewhere. . . (? I'm assuming you are referring to the favourite engine thread ?)

Take care

henk4
05-28-2003, 03:47 AM
[
Anyway I have no problem with Henk4

Thank you KD, and, yes it is absolutely necessary for you to remain as anonymous as you are? If need be rsvp through a private message.

henk4
06-02-2003, 10:40 AM
when looking at the contributions I see a lot of rubbish being sent by either motorhead or motormaniac. Most of the time they are discussing between themselves without contributing anything meaningful to the forum. Especially motormaniac has a tendency to contribute nonsense to every thread. Noting that both motor's are from singapore and another prolific contributor, the already banned hotflank also came from singapore I have the suspicion that this is one and the same person, using three aliasses just to communicate with himself, in the absence of anybody else to talk to. If this is the case it would pity him, but would seriously request him to refrain from infesting the forums.

DSM owner
06-02-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Wouter Melissen

Delete the user comments before I delete you.

IBrake4Rainbows
06-02-2003, 08:55 PM
Mr. DSM Owner, your more likelly to get deleted than Wouter....

DSM owner
06-03-2003, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by IBrake4Rainbows
Mr. DSM Owner, your more likelly to get deleted than Wouter....

I'll delete you too.

kinan.f
06-03-2003, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Wouter Melissen

Dear Wouter,
You're absolutely right,the comments quality vary according to the person's behavior,education,mood...etc
It will be a time burner to revise every single comment for every user and this will slow the server down.
The best solution,in my opinion,is to filter the ANNOYING users posts instead of filtering all users posts.

henk4
06-03-2003, 02:05 PM
define annoying so it can be programmed as a filter, otherwise somebody has to do it manually just as the comments.

IBrake4Rainbows
06-03-2003, 09:11 PM
Sorry For going slightly Off topic here for a second, but how in the Hell do you plan to delete me DSM Owner? You should have more respect for your elders :D As for the Filter thing, I just ahd a brain wave that you can just randomly select a post from each use,and then judge them on that, and stick a filter or even a limit on there posts, if you do it once a month or so you should be able to figure out everyone......

ChevySucks
06-04-2003, 12:05 PM
Everyone worrying about the coments people make need to jus be quiet, everyone herre has the right to post what they want wether it adds anything to the page or not, there is nothing wrong with a lil arguing about whos car will beat whos, thats the fun part, and quit worrying about any cuss words, i think we are all man enough to read it, if you dont like it dont read it, dats dat....

ozexige
06-04-2003, 05:53 PM
As for the Filter thing, I just ahd a brain wave that you can just randomly select a post from each use,and then judge them on that, [/B]

I judge your post as ridiculous.

ChevySucks
06-04-2003, 09:43 PM
There was nuthin wrong with ibrakeforrainbows post, leave it alone...

DSM owner
06-05-2003, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by ChevySucks
Everyone worrying about the coments people make need to jus be quiet, everyone herre has the right to post what they want wether it adds anything to the page or not, there is nothing wrong with a lil arguing about whos car will beat whos, thats the fun part, and quit worrying about any cuss words, i think we are all man enough to read it, if you dont like it dont read it, dats dat....

I think Wouter can decide who has the right to post what. You don't have the right to post anything he doesn't want you to.

Nash
06-05-2003, 10:52 AM
If you all don't shutup, I'm going to ban all of you.

ozexige
06-05-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Nash
If you all don't shutup,

You shutup!

ChevySucks
06-05-2003, 07:30 PM
Yeah what ozexige said!

ozexige
06-05-2003, 10:59 PM
Yeah - so there. :p

Nash
06-06-2003, 06:13 PM
My heart is broken.

Rob
06-09-2003, 03:09 AM
these are some nice examples of stupid replies/comments, thanks guys, but I thougt people where thinking about solving this stupid comments problem, I don't realy know how, but discusions like this are not going to solve anything.

ozexige
06-09-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by ozexige
Yeah - so there. :p

IBrake4Rainbows
06-09-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Rob
these are some nice examples of stupid replies/comments, thanks guys, but I thougt people where thinking about solving this stupid comments problem, I don't realy know how, but discusions like this are not going to solve anything.

True, but at least were having fun.........

Nash
06-10-2003, 02:24 AM
True, but at least were having fun.........

That's the whole point, noone should be taking these boards too seriously.

BPx
07-23-2003, 12:06 PM
Eh, instead of removal of stupid comments, how about stupid members? Guyt_x should be the first to go.

ozexige
07-23-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by BPx
Eh, instead of removal of stupid comments, how about stupid members? Guy_tx should be the first to go.

Yes - he is a wanker of the first degree...
but I really think he might be waking up to himself - I could be wrong.
I guess I'm trying to give him a second chance but if he persists in his inane simplistic crap we should take a trip to SA and take him hunting. :D

BPx
07-23-2003, 07:03 PM
I guess I'm trying to give him a second chance but if he persists in his inane simplistic crap we should take a trip to SA and take him hunting. :D

Been a while since I've been hunting... I think that's a good idea. ;)

ozexige
07-25-2003, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by BPx
Been a while since I've been hunting... I think that's a good idea. ;)

Can't live without the odd kill (only introduced species of course, like rabbits foxes and feral cats :D) - my kids love it - the youngest wants to mount a 50 cal. on the roof of the Wrangler - it must be the redneck in me.

You might be interested to know that most of the noxious weeds that plague our farms were introduced by Sth Afrikaans!

:D :D :D

Homem de Gelo
07-25-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by BPx
Eh, instead of removal of stupid comments, how about stupid members? Guyt_x should be the first to go.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

ozexige
07-27-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Arcanjo

BPx
07-27-2003, 09:00 PM
I would've posted a little thumbs up, too... But, it seems a little redundant. Great job guys. ;)

ozexige
07-27-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by BPx
I would've posted a little thumbs up, too... But, it seems a little "redundant". Great job "guys". ;)
what's rotund... redumdum... redgumbum... red-gump-ant?
- stuff it, I can't spell it -
I MUST be a redneck!:(

Hey - I just thought of somethin'
are all us guys 'guys' or are some of you just pretendin'?

:confused:

crisis
07-28-2003, 12:08 AM
I will miss Guyt. He was good for a laugh. A little repetative and prone to the occasional generalisation but good fun just the same. Are you sure you people dont take yourselves a little too seriously?

BPx
07-28-2003, 03:16 AM
what's rotund... redumdum... redgumbum... red-gump-ant?
- stuff it, I can't spell it -
I MUST be a redneck!:(

Hey - I just thought of somethin'
are all us guys 'guys' or are some of you just pretendin'?

:confused:

Go drive around in circles, you redneck!

BPx
07-28-2003, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by crisis
I will miss Guyt. He was good for a laugh. A little repetative and prone to the occasional generalisation but good fun just the same. Are you sure you people dont take yourselves a little too seriously?

His idiocy was amusing at first... But, it just gets annoying. If he had varied his posts a bit more instead of going back to "silly american, u drive teh nascarz" he wouldn't have become stale.

ozexige
07-28-2003, 05:17 PM
You're both right

ozexige
07-28-2003, 05:25 PM
Very profound and sensitive statement there - crisis -
are you sure you're not a girl or, heaven forbid, 'gay'
Sorry 'bout that -
it seems I just can't keep the redneck in me under control.

:)

BPx
07-29-2003, 09:03 AM
Very profound and sensitive statement there - crisis -
are you sure you're not a girl or, heaven forbid, 'gay'
Sorry 'bout that -
it seems I just can't keep the redneck in me under control.

:)

Well, gosh darn, Billy Bob Joey Jr, I jus' done got back from a date wit' mah cousin, an' I was wonnerin' if you wanna go shoots us some squirrels and have a bar-bee-cue?

ozexige
07-31-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by BPx
Well, gosh darn, Billy Bob Joey Jr, I jus' done got back from a date wit' mah cousin, an' I was wonnerin' if you wanna go shoots us some squirrels and have a bar-bee-cue?
'night John Boy, night Mary Anne, night Bob Job, night Sue Anne, night Blow Job, night.............
................... zzzzzzzzzzzz

crisis
08-15-2003, 12:40 AM
Anyone want Guyt back. This site has lost a bit of its edge since he's been gone. It needs some stupid statements that you can shoot holes in to get everybody interested. Even Ozexige has been quiet. Maybe he shot himself with one of his big guns.

Batmobile_Turbo
08-20-2003, 12:39 PM
i think a removal of chevysucks would be in order because he cusses a lot and his politics thread is just stupid. why would anyone want to talk about politics in a car forum?

p.s. why is his name 'chevysucks' if he likes american cars so much

crisis
08-20-2003, 06:37 PM
I may not agree with all of Chevysucks sentiments ( particularly the name ) but I am not in favour of banning anyone really. The politics comments were in the miscellaneous section which to my understanding means anything. If you dont want to talk politics you should not read threads labelled POLITICS. Really idiotic comments take care of themselves. People know a ****wit when they read one. Sorry I cussed!

BPx
08-27-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by crisis
Anyone want Guyt back. This site has lost a bit of its edge since he's been gone. It needs some stupid statements that you can shoot holes in to get everybody interested.

Hey, hey, hey! Let's not get crazy here... I've been gone for a while because I dedicated a lot more time to another forum, and I started working on my car again (yeah, about time). I'll probably be on here a lot more, now that I have free time again.

Doza
03-11-2004, 08:14 PM
The quality of comments have forced me to reconsider the entire comment system. With the forums in place, there now is a place for visitors to spew their guts. Maybe the main page should only reflect our opinion and not those of visitors, but then there is the 10% of high quality comments that would go with the rest.

The comments seem to work like this.(In negative cases)
Fanboy makes Statement about car: The Skyline GT-R33 is the best car ever in the world, my friends makes 900whp.
Fanboy of some other vehicle makes rebuttall: The Skyline rims. You are so damn stupid. The rotary engine of the RX-7 will you alive any day because my neighbor's has 1000whp. You Skyqueer you.
Fanboy1 rebuttal.
Fanboy2 rebuttal.
Fanboy1 re-rebuttal.
etc.....

I think you should be registered in the forums to post the comments and that way, they can be regulated more. With the rep system. I'm not totally against swearing, but, the comments seem tasteless and brainless to me at times. Maybe all the comments could go to a subforum dump in the comparo forum.

crisis
03-11-2004, 09:56 PM
The comments seem to work like this.(In negative cases)
Fanboy makes Statement about car: The Skyline GT-R33 is the best car ever in the world, my friends makes 900whp.
Fanboy of some other vehicle makes rebuttall: The Skyline rims. You are so damn stupid. The rotary engine of the RX-7 will you alive any day because my neighbor's has 1000whp. You Skyqueer you.
Fanboy1 rebuttal.
Fanboy2 rebuttal.
Fanboy1 re-rebuttal.
etc.....

I think you should be registered in the forums to post the comments and that way, they can be regulated more. With the rep system. I'm not totally against swearing, but, the comments seem tasteless and brainless to me at times. Maybe all the comments could go to a subforum dump in the comparo forum.
Most amusing, sad, but true. Still you dont have to read them and you get a pretty clear picture early on. I will offer up some rep points with this comment but my overall impression is that the Euro forums are the one with the most consistently inane posts. Mostly revolving about who hates/loves BMWs and how hard Ferraris make them. Apologies to my innocent European freinds.

Batmobile_Turbo
03-12-2004, 02:00 PM
Most amusing, sad, but true. Still you dont have to read them and you get a pretty clear picture early on. I will offer up some rep points with this comment but my overall impression is that the Euro forums are the one with the most consistently inane posts. Mostly revolving about who hates/loves BMWs and how hard Ferraris make them. Apologies to my innocent European freinds.
yes idiotic fanboys junk up the forums, also there are people who sigh up just to be @$$holes, like this guy named CARS=SEX, all he did was make immature and slanderous posts, he was banned though.