PDA

View Full Version : Ford Focus ST for sale in Mexico

taz_rocks_miami
02-22-2007, 11:54 PM
I was just browsing Ford's web site here in Mexico and came across the surprise that the Focus ST is for sale here. :) Cost depending on the exchange rate is about $29,000.00 USD.

Link: http://www.ford.com.mx/vehicles/know/photogallery.asp?idModel=FST

I wonder if it'll be sold in the US also?

KonaGreen
02-23-2007, 01:12 AM
:eek:
Wok da Heck!!! Thats a burn and a half. It should be sold up here, maybe then Ford would make money instead of bleed it.

Quiggs
02-23-2007, 08:04 AM
Ford's not gonna sell many $30,000 Focii in the States... There's too many better cars at lower price points.

Wouter Melissen
02-23-2007, 08:55 AM
:eek:
Wok da Heck!!! Thats a burn and a half. It should be sold up here, maybe then Ford would make money instead of bleed it.

In the real world the niche market vehicles really will not contribute to any form of profit. A good affordable family car is what would stop Ford bleeding, not some idiotic hot hatch.

McReis
02-23-2007, 08:59 AM
A good affordable family car is what would stop Ford bleeding, not some idiotic hot hatch.
Specially one that had such a huge gestation period and is full of out-sourced equipment.

Ferrer
02-23-2007, 11:21 AM
In the real world the niche market vehicles really will not contribute to any form of profit. A good affordable family car is what would stop Ford bleeding, not some idiotic hot hatch.
But hot versions of regular products would help improving the image of the brand and that particular model, helping at the same time increase the sales.

What they should do is screw the Mk I Focus altogether and bring the Mk II to the US.

digitalcraft
02-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Something like the Ford Five-Hundred, Ford Fusion, or the wagon/sedan versions of the Focus? :P You can't fault them for not trying.

(there's also all the volvos, mazdas, mercurys, lincolns)

Wouter Melissen
02-23-2007, 11:50 AM
But hot versions of regular products would help improving the image of the brand and that particular model, helping at the same time increase the sales.

What they should do is screw the Mk I Focus altogether and bring the Mk II to the US.
They launched an all new Focus last month.

blackcat77
02-23-2007, 02:30 PM
A good affordable family car is what would stop Ford bleeding, not some idiotic hot hatch.

Yep, Chrysler got out of the hole back in the 80s with K-cars and minivans, not Vipers and Chargers...

Lets Gekiga In
02-23-2007, 02:50 PM

Too bad the U.S. Focus is still going to be using the same platform!

taz_rocks_miami
02-23-2007, 04:48 PM
Ford's not gonna sell many $30,000 Focii in the States... There's too many better cars at lower price points.

How does the Focus ST compare to the new Golf GTI? Price wise they are about the same here.

Quiggs
02-23-2007, 05:00 PM
A fully loaded 4 door GTI is $32,145. DSG, Package 2, Nav, iPod adapter, 18" Hufs, Votex kit. But most of the GTIs sold aren't sold that way. They're mostly Pack 1 cars, the 18's, and maybe the Votex kit. Which is around $26,000.

Then there's the competition- Mazda MS3, Civic SI. Hell, at $30k they're competing with the Mustang GT. At that pricepoint, I don't see them selling many ST's here.

BMW_Trance
02-23-2007, 06:34 PM
so is this awd?? if so, i know what car im going to buy if i move to Mexico in the future :D ;) :cool:

carsnut
02-23-2007, 06:34 PM
who cares about the price the point is if you live in the states and you want a Focus ST now you know where to go.

Disclaimer: If you get carjacked there, I don't accept responsibility.

taz_rocks_miami
02-23-2007, 06:48 PM
A fully loaded 4 door GTI is $32,145. DSG, Package 2, Nav, iPod adapter, 18" Hufs, Votex kit. But most of the GTIs sold aren't sold that way. They're mostly Pack 1 cars, the 18's, and maybe the Votex kit. Which is around $26,000.

Thanks for the info Quiggs, I guess I should have specified, I was talking about how they match up performance wise.

Then there's the competition- Mazda MS3, Civic SI. Hell, at $30k they're competing with the Mustang GT. At that pricepoint, I don't see them selling many ST's here.

Depends, the Mustang GT is in that price range here too and I've seen quite a few GTI's along with Mustangs on the road here. Guess it comes down to personal preference. :)

who cares about the price the point is if you live in the states and you want a Focus ST now you know where to go.

Along with other non US sold cars, I'm glad I moved here. :)

Disclaimer: If you get carjacked there, I don't accept responsibility.

Ditto. ;) Just stay out of Mexico City, you'll be fine.

Mr.Tiv
02-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Along with other non US sold cars, I'm glad I moved here. :)

Ditto. ;) Just stay out of Mexico City, you'll be fine.
What else is sold there that's not sold here, French cars? Where did you move from? How bad is Mexico City?

taz_rocks_miami
02-23-2007, 07:24 PM
What else is sold there that's not sold here, French cars? Where did you move from? How bad is Mexico City?

Well, for example was have Renault (including the Clio Sport and Megane Sport) Peugeot, SEAT, Smart, Opel (Sold under the Chevy badge), Fiat...

I moved from Miami to Mexico to start a business, which has been profitable. :) I was born in Mexico moved to the US when I was 7 years old and came back recently. My father ( a former Mexican Diplomat) was born in San Francisco, hence I have dual citizenship. Long story...:D

As far as Mexico City goes, yes, it's bad. Unfortunately, it has the highest crime rate in the country. To give you an idea...150 cars are stolen every day. 30% are car jackings. :(

Mr.Tiv
02-23-2007, 07:31 PM
Well, for example was have Renault (including the Clio Sport and Megane Sport) Peugeot, SEAT, Smart, Opel (Sold under the Chevy badge), Fiat...

I moved from Miami to Mexico to start a business, which has been profitable. :) I was born in Mexico moved to the US when I was 7 years old and came back recently. My father ( a former Mexican Diplomat) was born in San Francisco, hence I have dual citizenship. Long story...:D

As far as Mexico City goes, yes, it's bad. Unfortunately, it has the highest crime rate in the country. To give you an idea...150 cars are stolen every day. 30% are car jackings. :(

You guys are lucky. I wish we still got Renaults here. I wish we got the ST here...

That's pretty cool, the dual citizenship and what not. I always like to hear that someone is doing well, so congrats on the profitability.

It's a shame to hear that Mexico City is that bad. I've always wanted to visit Mexico; now, I know to stay out of Mexico City.

taz_rocks_miami
02-23-2007, 07:37 PM
You guys are lucky. I wish we still got Renaults here. I wish we got the ST here...

I'm glad too. :) I'm just sad that we didn't get the Pontiac GTO when it was in production and you have to special order the Shelby GT 500, it goes for $90,000.00 USD here!! Import tax and all. :o

That's pretty cool, the dual citizenship and what not. I always like to hear that someone is doing well, so congrats on the profitability.

Thanks dude. :)

It's a shame to hear that Mexico City is that bad. I've always wanted to visit Mexico; now, I know to stay out of Mexico City.

It's really too bad, it's a beautiful city with lots to do and see. And it's huge, 20,000,000 people!! If you ever come to Mexico let me know.

Mr.Tiv
02-23-2007, 07:52 PM
I'm glad too. :) I'm just sad that we didn't get the Pontiac GTO when it was in production and you have to special order the Shelby GT 500, it goes for $90,000.00 USD here!! Import tax and all. :o
Wow, that's obnoxious. That's I think I'd rather a SVT Cobra R for that money.

It's really too bad, it's a beautiful city with lots to do and see. And it's huge, 20,000,000 people!! If you ever come to Mexico let me know.
I have heard that's a really interesting city and country for that matter, my neighbor is immigrated from Mexico so I'd say he's a reliable source.

With 20,000,000 people the crime isn't that shocking, but it's still a terrible thing, and it makes me sad to hear it. I'll definately get in touch if I ever make it down there, and I hope I do.

clutch-monkey
02-23-2007, 08:27 PM

thats like...the entire population of Australia, in one city. sweet jesus

Quiggs
02-23-2007, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the info Quiggs, I guess I should have specified, I was talking about how they match up performance wise.Car & Driver tested the GTI at 6 seconds flat to 60 and the 1/4 in mid 14's; .84 on the skidpad. They list the ST at 6.5 to 60. I'm having some trouble finding more stats on the ST.

Depends, the Mustang GT is in that price range here too and I've seen quite a few GTI's along with Mustangs on the road here. Guess it comes down to personal preference. :) True enough.

taz_rocks_miami
02-23-2007, 09:37 PM
thats like...the entire population of Australia, in one city. sweet jesus

Haha, you ain't kiddin'. Traffic is just nuts, if you can drive and Mexico City, you can drive anyware!!

Car & Driver tested the GTI at 6 seconds flat to 60 and the 1/4 in mid 14's; .84 on the skidpad. They list the ST at 6.5 to 60. I'm having some trouble finding more stats on the ST.

Hmm, the GTI has 200 hp, the ST 220 hp. The GTI must be lighter I guess.

Quiggs
02-23-2007, 09:48 PM
Hmm, the GTI has 200 hp, the ST 220 hp. The GTI must be lighter I guess.

Stock 2.0T's dyno regularly at 190+whp. They're very underrated from the factory.

taz_rocks_miami
02-23-2007, 10:26 PM
Stock 2.0T's dyno regularly at 190+whp. They're very underrated from the factory.

I would love to stick that engine in my Pointer GTI. :)

2ndclasscitizen
02-23-2007, 10:31 PM
Car & Driver tested the GTI at 6 seconds flat to 60 and the 1/4 in mid 14's; .84 on the skidpad. They list the ST at 6.5 to 60. I'm having some trouble finding more stats on the ST.

A lot of that 0-60 would be down to the DSG, also GTI = 1364kg and ST = 1442kg. Though the ST has 40nm more torque.

KonaGreen
02-23-2007, 11:20 PM
*sigh*
For an old guy I suppose I should keep my over exuberance in check.:(

taz_rocks_miami
02-24-2007, 12:37 AM
A lot of that 0-60 would be down to the DSG, also GTI = 1364kg and ST = 1442kg. Though the ST has 40nm more torque.

Ok, so the GTI is a bit faster 0 - 60, what about handling and braking? Anyone have info?

2ndclasscitizen
02-24-2007, 12:48 AM
Pretty much just as good as each other pretty much from most reviews I've read

taz_rocks_miami
02-24-2007, 01:25 AM
I found this TG review on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQM1NUmK3qA

If I have time, I'll go out and test drive it. :)

IWantAnAudiRS6
02-24-2007, 06:27 AM
I personally love that car to pieces. I think it's brilliant. Especially in orange. I've seen plenty around now, and can't wait for the used prices to plummet... it just seems to be a very good all-rounder. Doesn't look that bad as a 5-door, either... just a bit... sanitised.

Ferrer
02-24-2007, 10:58 AM
I don't think a facelift qualifies as an all new car.