View Full Version : Vauxhall VXR8

Ferrer
02-26-2007, 03:49 AM
...or the Holden for brits.

Why can't we, continental europeans, have fun...? :(

IWantAnAudiRS6
02-26-2007, 03:55 AM
Oh yes :D I LOVE YOU GM!

Another well-priced muscle car with an average interior and Neanderthal driving characteristics... gotta love 'em :)

IBrake4Rainbows
02-26-2007, 04:05 AM
The VE is hardly a neanderthal driving experience, as MSN and Cyco will attest.

You guys have been spoilt. getting aussie cars. it's better than you deserve ;)

2ndclasscitizen
02-26-2007, 04:17 AM
...or the Holden for brits.

It's better than that, that's not a Holden, it's a HSV. In this case, the Clubsport R8, 6ltr LS2 V8, 307kw, 6spd, massive AP Racing brakes, 275 rear tyres.

:D

Ferrer
02-26-2007, 04:19 AM
Great, but the rear spoiler has to go...

IWantAnAudiRS6
02-26-2007, 04:28 AM
You csn't buy one though, so don't worry about it! ;)

And it IS Neanderthal compared to the more delicate pieces of machinery it is likely to be compared to. It's not a bad thing- it's brash, loud, and a bundle of fun. Think of the VXR8 as a primary colour, simple and designed to please, compared to the BMW M3- a secondary colour, a piece of technomachinery.

Wouter Melissen
02-26-2007, 04:36 AM
Great, but the rear spoiler has to go...

It needs more stickers though!

IBrake4Rainbows
02-26-2007, 04:40 AM
The Commodore Calais V has been compared to some marvellous pieces of German Engineering (BMW 550i, Mercedes E430) equivalent cars in engine size and general features. the car trounced the BMW, and was only marginally behind the Mercedes.

All for 1/2 the price. Sounds like a bit of a bargain to me. and to cap it all off you don't have to cop jokes about it being a blunt instrument, because while it can do things like that, it's also far more capable.

10 bucks says TG take this thing round the Nurburgring :)

Ferrer
02-26-2007, 04:42 AM
Mercedes-Benz E430?

IBrake4Rainbows
02-26-2007, 04:46 AM
Might have been an E500. a Mercedes E with a V8 thats not an E63.

motorsportnerd
02-26-2007, 05:08 AM

And it IS Neanderthal compared to the more delicate pieces of machinery it is likely to be compared to. It's not a bad thing- it's brash, loud, and a bundle of fun. Think of the VXR8 as a primary colour, simple and designed to please, compared to the BMW M3- a secondary colour, a piece of technomachinery.

I don't think it'll be compared with the M3. And only really patriotic Aussies would compare a VXR8 (or a HSV) here is the equal of a BMW M5, Audi RS6 or Mercedes E500 in pure outright terms. But as soon as value for money is added to the equation, the Holden looks pretty good. The VXR8 will be a good match with other cars in the same price or lower price brackets (Subaru WRX STi, Mits Evos, Golf R32), while being a value for money alternative to the high performance sedans.
I haven't driven this version of the Holden - only a base six cylinder version you guys won't get. As IB4R mentioned, I can say that the chassis dynamics are very solid. Up to very high speeds. The six cylinder doesn't have the grunt to exploit the chassis like the V8s. The handling limits of the six cylinder Commodore are so high that when combined with the relative lack of grunt, the six-cylinder car is actually a little boring to drive on the road within normal speed limits. The only real issue I have with the Commodore dynamically is that the steering is too light for my tastes. But that's not a serious criticism. Most professional Aussie motoring journalists think the steering has just the right balance between lightness and feedback. I'm sure the V8s are better anyway.

IWantAnAudiRS6
02-26-2007, 05:08 AM
The Commodore Calais V has been compared to some marvellous pieces of German Engineering (BMW 550i, Mercedes E430) equivalent cars in engine size and general features. the car trounced the BMW, and was only marginally behind the Mercedes.

All for 1/2 the price. Sounds like a bit of a bargain to me. and to cap it all off you don't have to cop jokes about it being a blunt instrument, because while it can do things like that, it's also far more capable.

The Omega was a fantastic piece of engineering, but because of the badge people were put off. Similar formula, but GM have learnt now- hence the lack of a slightly plusher model being available.

I'm not surprised that it trounced the BMW, as making the perfect car (the E39) was too much for them, so they raped it. Ther fact it came close to the Merc surprises me, but Merc's build quality of late may lay testament to that. And if it's an Aussie magazine, you can expect some margin of bias to come into it- no matter how professional they are. They do it in Britain with German cars, you know.

And on the subject of that- I don't know about the 'Ring, but it'll definitely get on the programme. We love cheap, fast speed. A shame there isn't much that's really cheap here.

motorsportnerd
02-26-2007, 05:13 AM

Wheels magazine compared the Calais V with the BMW 550i and Mercedes E500 and said that the Calais V was better than the 550i regardless of cost and while not as good as the E500, it was much closer than it had any right to be.
Motor magazine compared the HSV Senator with the Audi S6 and Mercedes E63 and thought that it compared favourably - though gave the nod to the E63.

2ndclasscitizen
02-26-2007, 05:18 AM
^ I've got that article and shall scan it tomorrow

Ferrer
02-26-2007, 05:25 AM
Some facts:

-6.0-litre normally aspirated V8, 420bhp and 550Nm.
-0-60 in 4"9 seconds.
-Available with an automatic gearbox.
-On sale in July, priced at £34,995.

Clivey
02-26-2007, 07:16 AM
Awesome. Can't wait for this. It looks fantastic...the only thing is, to be recogniseablt as a Vauxhall it needs Vauxhall's 'V'-grille, and possibly a slight light cluster redesign (I realise the rear lights arent the same as the Aussie versions but these ones don't really fit what's on other Vauxhalls right now).

Shame about our petrol prices.:( I guess that's the only good reason why the Monaro VXR isn't flooding our streets.

ruim20
02-26-2007, 12:32 PM
A 6 liter car in portugal would be DOA... our automotive taxes are great!

Pando
02-26-2007, 05:07 PM
-Available with an automatic gearbox.Available as in only or also?

IWantAnAudiRS6
02-26-2007, 05:10 PM
Available as in only or also?

I'm guessing it's an 'also' ;) the Monaro was a huge hit because of it's manual capabilities. Although I'm sure the market will be flooded with bloody auto VXR8s if it takes off...

2ndclasscitizen
02-26-2007, 05:23 PM
I realise the rear lights arent the same as the Aussie versions but these ones don't really fit what's on other Vauxhalls right now

They are actually the Aussie-spec lights on the R8

whiteballz
02-26-2007, 06:42 PM
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=231468&stc=1&d=1172540427

taken on my phone the other week, R8 clubsport at the lights with brake lights on :)

adrenaline
02-26-2007, 09:45 PM
^ Awesome.

clutch-monkey
02-26-2007, 10:22 PM
6spd manual or 6spd auto iirc..take your pick
with that engine you don't need an auto lmao

crisis
02-26-2007, 10:23 PM

Its a mans car. If you wanna drive around in a Ford Focus or a Golf GTI and think you have a sport car fine! Plenty of girls do! http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a313/chris80857/moon.gif:D

crisis
02-26-2007, 10:26 PM

Axually my mate who works at a dealership said the opposite. He rekons he wouldn’t bother with a manual after driving a GTS auto. And he owns this!

Ferrer
02-27-2007, 12:08 AM
Strangely these days, you get the choice of a manual or an automatic.

IWantAnAudiRS6
02-27-2007, 12:37 AM
Its a mans car. If you wanna drive around in a Ford Focus or a Golf GTI and think you have a sport car fine! Plenty of girls do! http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a313/chris80857/moon.gif:D

My point precisely :D unless you're trying to burn me, in which case bite me and we'll have a guitar showdown to find the loser... ;)

IBrake4Rainbows
02-27-2007, 04:09 AM
oh that was a double burn - your cluelessness leads us to conclude you are in fact a blonde woman.

that is all.

Pando
02-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Easiest.choice.ever.

Ferrer
02-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Actually I have read somewhere that the auto is a 5-speed unit... :confused:

nota
02-27-2007, 01:27 PM
Actually I have read somewhere that the auto is a 5-speed unit... :confused:
:)

Base V6 = 4-sp auto (or 6-sp manual in utes)
Upspec V6 = 5-sp auto or 6-sp manual
V8 = 6-sp auto or H/D 6-sp manual (Tremec)

crisis
02-27-2007, 05:56 PM
My point precisely :D unless you're trying to burn me, in which case bite me and we'll have a guitar showdown to find the loser... ;)

I will loose the playing contest but my guitar looks cuter!

IWantAnAudiRS6
02-28-2007, 02:57 AM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/S65-AMG/IMG_1894.jpg

Eat dirt ;)

whiteballz
02-28-2007, 04:27 AM
http://www.rocknrollvintage.com/prodimages/1983%20fender%20stratocaster%20elite%20guitar%20s. jpg

My dads guitar FTW :)

fpv_gtho
02-28-2007, 04:54 AM
taken on my phone the other week, R8 clubsport at the lights with brake lights on :)

The fit and finish around those lights is going to get absolutely murdered by the UK press, i can forsee it already.

crisis
02-28-2007, 04:13 PM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/S65-AMG/IMG_1894.jpg

Eat dirt ;)

Prick! That’s sweet but I still love George and I wouldn’t trade him for anything. It would be like selling a kid.
How old is the single cut and what do you play through?

IWantAnAudiRS6
02-28-2007, 04:44 PM
Prick! That’s sweet but I still love George and I wouldn’t trade him for anything. It would be like selling a kid.
How old is the single cut and what do you play through?

:D Well, what can I say? ;)

Yeah, I get what you mean. This one is called Pippa, I wouldn't swap her for the world.

It's actually a Singlecut Trem, the one that was made just before they were outlawed by Gibson- and it's also an Artist Pack. 2003 model, made on May 11th- just a week after my birthday. We get on well. I can make her scream, beg for more, she talks to me in a way that I didn't think possible. It's a guitarist thing!

At the moment, she goes through a Line 6 POD 2.0 and Bose TriPort headphones, as I left my band. When I still played in a band, the setup was a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, plugged into a BOSS Mega Distortion MD2 & BOSS Digital Delay DD3, plugged into Pippa, who in turn plugged into me... ;)

crisis
02-28-2007, 04:52 PM
:D Well, what can I say? ;)

Yeah, I get what you mean. This one is called Pippa, I wouldn't swap her for the world.

It's actually a Singlecut Trem, the one that was made just before they were outlawed by Gibson- and it's also an Artist Pack. 2003 model, made on May 11th- just a week after my birthday. We get on well. I can make her scream, beg for more, she talks to me in a way that I didn't think possible. It's a guitarist thing!

At the moment, she goes through a Line 6 POD 2.0 and Bose TriPort headphones, as I left my band. When I still played in a band, the setup was a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, plugged into a BOSS Mega Distortion MD2 & BOSS Digital Delay DD3, plugged into Pippa, who in turn plugged into me... ;)

F#@*! x2. Not only is it sweet but entirely collectable = $$$. Pity that won’t mean anything to you as you have no intention of giving it up.;)
BTW that needs to be plugged into a triple Recto at some stage.http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a313/chris80857/guitarist1.gif

john14
03-01-2007, 03:10 AM
Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
It's better than that, that's not a Holden, it's a HSV. In this case, the Clubsport R8, 6ltr LS2 V8, 307kw, 6spd, massive AP Racing brakes, 275 rear tyres.

Amen brother! any HSV Clubsport > Monaro... but I have never liked the Monaro. I've seen black and dark blue HSV Clubsports that have been lowered and have gold-coloured rims. They look brilliant and "oh so" tough. :D I'm sure this Vauxhall VXR8 will be great fun to drive and own.

h00t_h00t
03-01-2007, 04:50 PM
It isn't nearly bling enough to get people to stop buying BMWs and Mercs.

h22a
03-01-2007, 10:57 PM
bang for your bucks the HSV is hard to beat but im ****en sick of hearing any sort of comparison to a german luxo as it gets its arse kicked in everything with the exception in some cases of straightline speed. Its only peasant journo's in aus that are rating the HSV better than the M5 etc. Im an aussie and i can confidently say Germans build a superior car.

nota
03-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Its only peasant journo's in aus that are rating the HSV better than the M5 etc.
perhaps that's because 'peasant journos in aus' are the only english-speaking journos who have yet been able to test Holden VE against BMW 5?

clutch-monkey
03-01-2007, 11:35 PM
Im an aussie and i can confidently say Germans build a superior car.
unless it's a BMW
i mean honestly, the HSV should win on looks alone over the M5 :D

Ferrer
03-02-2007, 05:17 AM
perhaps that's because 'peasant journos in aus' are the only english-speaking journos who have yet been able to test Holden VE against BMW 5?
That's going to change now, with americans and brits getting their hands on it... ;)

h22a
03-04-2007, 06:57 PM
unless it's a BMW
i mean honestly, the HSV should win on looks alone over the M5 :D

personal opinion i guess, I prefer the subtle styling of boot spoilers, skirts & pumped guards as opposed to wild body kits.

crisis
03-04-2007, 11:20 PM
personal opinion i guess, I prefer the subtle styling of boot spoilers, skirts & pumped guards as opposed to wild body kits.

Well this aint exactly riced!

IBrake4Rainbows
03-04-2007, 11:25 PM
since when did HSV decide retro grey plastic was cool? that just kills the look of this car......

fpv_gtho
03-04-2007, 11:51 PM
since when did HSV decide retro grey plastic was cool? that just kills the look of this car......

Since people started dropping VT Exec V8's 2 inches and got a maximum of 5000km's from a set of rear tyres.

Seriously, it still amazes me no one at HSV felt it looked like the black mouldings around the bottom of the VT.

SlickHolden
03-05-2007, 09:55 AM
It isn't nearly bling enough to get people to stop buying BMWs and Mercs.
But it can be blinged and then they can buy something to make themselves look good after they saved a packet and a half:p. Maybe a new wig or bot ox for 5 years:D.
http://picsorban.com/upload/ve-calais-v.jpg

bang for your bucks the HSV is hard to beat but im ****en sick of hearing any sort of comparison to a german luxo as it gets its arse kicked in everything with the exception in some cases of straightline speed. Its only peasant journo's in aus that are rating the HSV better than the M5 etc. Im an aussie and i can confidently say Germans build a superior car.
What were you upset that a car from OZ stuck it up the germans:p.
Both a Holden and HSV have now come ahead of 2 Audi's and a couple of BMW's. But it's the Merc it can't match at the end of the day. But it gave it a fright.
If the test was rigged it would have won all the comparisons.
Even the FPV Force 8 was only a whisker behind the Audi S6.

nota
03-05-2007, 10:30 AM
But it can be blinged and then they can buy something to make themselves look good after they saved a packet and a half:p. Maybe a new wig or bot ox for 5 years:D.

Or maybe use the savings to get pissed 24/7 :D

(That dead stubbie laying on the ground lends a charming ambience to your stylish VE pic Slick)

SlickHolden
03-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Or maybe use the savings to get pissed 24/7 :D

(That dead stubbie laying on the ground lends a charming ambience to your stylish VE pic Slick)
I was going to kick it away but i might have kicked it into it:eek:..
That was down at the western bulldogs, So there are some rich guys in the west lol:D

nota
03-05-2007, 10:50 AM
That Holden (Calais?) is a far more attractive car than the hideous BMWs

And one things for sure is the germans prestige marques cannot built a better (or even class-equivalent) car at anywhere near Holden price levels

Ferrer
03-05-2007, 11:00 AM

And one things for sure is the germans prestige marques cannot built a better (or even class-equivalent) car at anywhere near Holden price levels
You're completely right on the looks. Just wish we could have that.

I don't agree on the price issue though. I'm sure that what the actual BMW (or Merc or Audi) costs isn't that different from what a Holden costs. But because the prestige they have they can price it a lot higher and still sell a lot of cars.

nota
03-05-2007, 11:22 AM
I don't agree on the price issue though. I'm sure that what the actual BMW (or Merc or Audi) costs isn't that different from what a Holden costs. But because the prestige they have they can price it a lot higher and still sell a lot of cars.
We are told that Holden's VE range cost 600m euro to deliver an exportable clean-sheet design in many permutations - how would those manufacturers you mention compare on developmental costs?

Ferrer
03-05-2007, 12:01 PM
We are told that Holden's VE range cost 600m euro to deliver an exportable clean-sheet design in many permutations - how would those manufacturers you mention compare on developmental costs?
I don't know the exact figures, but knowing the cost reductions german brands underwent in the 90's and 00's I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't much of a difference.

monaroCountry
03-05-2007, 02:37 PM
I don't know the exact figures, but knowing the cost reductions german brands underwent in the 90's and 00's I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't much of a difference.

Well seing as some German cars are now made in South Africa, im sure that those cars would be cheaper to produce.

h00t_h00t
03-05-2007, 04:55 PM

http://media.funlol.com/content/img/chrome-bmw.jpg

Seriously though, its unlikely that this car will sell because image is everything and in this country the BMW 3-series was the best seller a year ago. As firther proof, there is an insurence company and a soliciters at the top of my street which has a car park (and half of my street :mad: ) lined with BMW 316's with M-Tech body kits, 17" wheels and cloth interior, cassette players and probably no air-con.

fpv_gtho
03-05-2007, 07:06 PM

I'd heard that the current E Class had some mega $3.5 Billion development, pretty sure thats in AUD. Also though, here in Aus we're paying grossly overcharged prices for Beemers and the like, largely due to various tariffs and taxes in place for imports and expensive cars. Theres the 10% import tariff and 25% luxury car tax (cars over $57K have to pay an extra 25% of their price for whatever sum their price is over $57K) which would be giving them a fair hit. I did some research awhile ago, and the US comparitively pays $AUD100K for a BMW M3, $AUD60K less than us.

SlickHolden
03-05-2007, 07:57 PM

Calais V, And in the flesh it was so filthy dirt from the rain, I was going off wash it you dirty bastard:p..
But holden have really got the car right in Calais V it's a very good looking car with plenty of options, Toss them 20" rims on it and it even looks lowered. I'd still drop it 1" more lol.
http://picsorban.com/upload/dump.jpg

http://media.funlol.com/content/img/chrome-bmw.jpg

Seriously though, its unlikely that this car will sell because image is everything and in this country the BMW 3-series was the best seller a year ago. As firther proof, there is an insurence company and a soliciters at the top of my street which has a car park (and half of my street :mad: ) lined with BMW 316's with M-Tech body kits, 17" wheels and cloth interior, cassette players and probably no air-con.
It's starting to make a move, Doctors i have noticed are saying goodbye to there expensive BWM Mercedes Benz in favour of buying a Holden Caprice, So when you pull into a Doctors rooms they now have A Caprice in there parks, It's a start. It's also got the sheiks of tweaks over in UAI etc buying into them.

But that beaner would need great insurance, So many will get blinded by the reflection and crash hahahaha:D

IBrake4Rainbows
03-05-2007, 08:07 PM
I have to say it's not often the Lesser priced car is the more subtle of the two, but in this case (in fact, comparing a Calais V to a 550i) it is. it appears bling has hit it's height.

but that Calais is very, very well done.

h22a
03-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Well this aint exactly riced!

what are you talking about, the original car is the VXR8(with wild body kit). not statesman/calais or whatever it is.

h22a
03-06-2007, 07:06 PM
What were you upset that a car from OZ stuck it up the germans:p.
Both a Holden and HSV have now come ahead of 2 Audi's and a couple of BMW's. But it's the Merc it can't match at the end of the day. But it gave it a fright.
If the test was rigged it would have won all the comparisons.
Even the FPV Force 8 was only a whisker behind the Audi S6.[/QUOTE]

Im not upset i just think its a biased aussie review, as you can see im not a fan of holdens but im not denying the value for money. In my opinion the holden really lacks in build quality and refinement and by no means look better than the m5.

crisis
03-06-2007, 09:47 PM
what are you talking about, the original car is the VXR8(with wild body kit). not statesman/Calais or whatever it is.

Yes well the thread strayed a little away from the VXR8 onto price/handling/quality comparisons with Calais and Senator which is what I was commenting on .

Wheels magazine compared the Calais V with the BMW 550i and Mercedes E500 and said that the Calais V was better than the 550i regardless of cost and while not as good as the E500, it was much closer than it had any right to be.
Motor magazine compared the HSV Senator with the Audi S6 and Mercedes E63 and thought that it compared favourably - though gave the nod to the E63.

I hadn’t realised you had only chimed in at post #41 and as you did not relate you’re comment to any particular post I thought it was following on the thread of the discussion.

Im not upset i just think its a biased aussie review, as you can see im not a fan of holdens but im not denying the value for money. In my opinion the holden really lacks in build quality and refinement and by no means look better than the m5.
Well you should offer something a little more objective and informed as to why you believe the test to be biased other than the fact that you are “not a fan of holdens”.
What do you base your opinion of the Holden (in question) “build quality and refinement”. Ownership, test drive, detailed inspection? And compared to which vehicle that you have similar intimate knowledge?

SlickHolden
03-07-2007, 01:18 AM
Build quality and refinement are to major areas it's improved in, It's why it's actually in the same breath as these over priced cars now, It leaves it's previous models behind in a heap and actually moves into a new arena, And now for the first time they can inter the fight with cars much more expensive then it is because of the extra effort they put into it. It handles as well as cars twice it's price, It's performance is well and truly up with the best, Safety is very very high it's got bells and whistles all over, And to top it off i have drove one a long way so i was more then impressed by it in every area i could think of, By far the best car i have drove and the safest to boot.
But with the way Aussie jurnos 's hang it on Aussie made cars they are not biased, Some believe they should be more respectful to them, As the U.S jurno's were when the Monaro (GTO) Beat the Mustang in the US, It done the car in all areas but lost the whole comparison on some stupid got to have factor which left it short in the whole count back on points, Even though it beat the mustang in all test done on road build quality etc. That's biased.

john14
03-08-2007, 04:19 AM
I've always liked HSV Clubsports. They are great looking cars and their engines produce a great V8 sound. Obviously, they are very powerful and judging by the reports I have heard and read, this HSV Clubsport/Vauxhall VXR8 (in Europe) is a great car to drive.

Again, the only real problem is this car doesn't have BMW or Mercedes badge (or another prestige badge) so most people who want to buy a $70,000-$80,000 (Australian dollars) car will buy a BMW or Mercedes because of the more "admired" and famous badge. Also, most people who want to buy an semi-expensive car still think BMW and Mercedes are the best. It is the "age old problem" called... brand obsession.

john14
03-13-2007, 12:58 AM
I took some pictures of the new HSV Clubsport/Vauxhall VXR8. This car is great. :)