PDA

View Full Version : Gumpert Apollo Sport 2005-

Vaigra
02-28-2007, 06:16 PM
Gumpert Apollo Sport

The Gumpert Apollo is a synthesis of dynamic and design with pure driving pleasure and unique performance. On the road it speeds like not many other cars and on the race track it cries out to be challenged by an opponent that can match its breathtaking acceleration and handling. Now, it is due to get a worthy competitor out of its own stable. At the 77th Geneva Motor Show, the Gumpert Sportwagenmanufaktur will present the Apollo Sport to the wide public.

The Gumpert Apollo Sport is the rebel amongst the super sports cars. Its bodywork combines sexy curves with potent edges and angles and aims for uncompromising aerodynamics. A clear demonstration of the principle form follows function. Its challenging sporting design derives from the requirement to built a street legal racing car, whose number one priority is to provide extraordinary performance on the circuit, but at the same time embodying a vehicle suitable for daily use.

The highest importance was attached to safety: the tubular space frame in chrome-molybdenum steel with integrated safety monocoque fabricated in carbon-fiber passes all crash-tests regulations, while a cashbox offers additional protection. The gaping air intake stub over the roof and on the rear signals power, dynamics and superiority. The eight cylinder, bi-turbo mid-engine with up to 800 horsepower is capable of catapulting this 2645 lbs missile from 0-62 mph in only 3 seconds.

The Apollo Sport is equipped with an extended aerodynamic package and, in contrast to the three part spoiler of the Apollo, possesses a racing wing which gives even more down force. The more powerful engine still manages to accelerate this beast to a top speed of 224 mph.

As you can guess, it is not for nothing that this cars is named after the fierce Greek God.

The two-seater also convinces from the inside, with its sporty and elegant alcantara interior, and offers air-conditioning, CD-player, navigation system and reverse view camera as standard equipment. A two-layer metallic finish available in any conceivable color, gives this racer a particular luster. As a special accessory the Apollo is equipped with an airjack, a pneumatic jacking pad.

TVR IS KING
03-01-2007, 01:23 AM
As if the original wasn't sporty enough...And aerodynamic! They said the original could drive on the roof of tunnels due to the downforce!

jorismo
03-01-2007, 03:24 AM
One of the most sexy and coolest cars available IMO...

Ferrer
03-01-2007, 03:51 AM
It's a bit ugly. When it comes to supercars the Zonda is still the best, in my opinion.

Pando
03-01-2007, 07:41 AM
It's a bit ugly. When it comes to supercars the Zonda is still the best, in my opinion.
And they're not ugly? :confused:

Ferrer
03-01-2007, 08:03 AM
And they're not ugly? :confused:
In my opinion the Zonda is better looking than this. And let's not enter to discuss the interior...

Street_Dreamer
03-01-2007, 09:43 AM
Although i agree that the Zonda is still the best, after seeing an Apollo in the metal, i don't think it's ugly, it's quite nice. However, Zonda F is such an amazingly gorgeous car!

Sledgehammer
01-09-2009, 05:31 PM
(from Gumpert Press Release)

It is one of only a handful of super sport cars and after its debut at Geneva’s international Motor Show in 2006 it was clear: the apollo is a synthesis of dynamic and design with pure driving pleasure and unique performance. On the road it speeds like a god and on the race track it cries out to be challenged by an opponent that can match its breathtaking acceleration and incomparable handling. Now, it is due to get a worthy competitor out of its own stable. At the 77th Geneva Motor Show, the Gumpert Sportwagenmanufaktur will present the apollo sport to the wide public.

The apollo sport is the rebel amongst the super sport cars. Its bodywork combines sexy curves with potent edges and angles and aims for uncompromising aerodynamics. A clear demonstration of the principle “form follows function”. Its challenging sporting design derives from the requirement to built a street legal racing car, whose number one priority is to provide extraordinary performance on the circuit, but at the same time embodying a vehicle suitable for daily use.

The highest importance was attached to safety: the tubular space frame in chrome-molybdenum steel with integrated safety monocoque fabricated in carbon-fiber passes all crash-tests regulations, while a cashbox offers additional protection. The gaping air intake stub over the roof and on the rear signals power, dynamics and superiority. The eight cylinder, bi-turbo mid-engine with up to 800 horsepower is capable of catapulting this 1200 kg missile from 0-100 km/h in only 3 seconds.

The apollo sport is equipped with an extended aerodynamic package and, in contrast to the three part spoiler of the apollo, possesses a racing wing which gives even more down force and pushes the apollos’s maximum speed up to 360 km/h.

As you can guess, it is not for nothing that this cars is named after the fierce Greek God.

The two-seater also convinces from the inside, with its sporty and elegant alcantara interior, and offers air-condition, CD-player, navigation system and reverse view camera as standard equipment. A two-layer metallic finish available in any conceivable color, gives this bolide a particular luster. As a special accessory the apollo is equipped with an airjack, a pneumatic jacking pad.

The standard version of the apollo sport costs 299.500,- € plus VAT.

Sledgehammer
01-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Gumpert Apollo Sport #3

Sledgehammer
01-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Gumpert Apollo Sport #4

NSXType-R
01-09-2009, 07:28 PM
As if the original wasn't sporty enough...And aerodynamic! They said the original could drive on the roof of tunnels due to the downforce!

Not to quote Top Gear, but that's what they always say about every supercar...

Delmaster
08-18-2009, 01:14 PM
just beat the record on the Nordschleife (7:11,57), previously held by the Donkervoort D8 RS06 (7:14,89).

Kitdy
08-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Which is still nowhere near the road legal Radical's time of 6'55" odd.

So much for breaking the record.

Delmaster
08-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Which is still nowhere near the road legal Radical's time of 6'55" odd.

So much for breaking the record.

why isn't this official?

Kitdy
08-18-2009, 03:25 PM
There are no official times for the 'ring really - many 'ring times are reported by the manufacturer themselves to the press. Other ring times are done by magazine; Sport Auto's editor in chief Horst von Saurma has done many laps in various cars.

See here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring_lap_times).

As you can see, the Radical SR8 is in a different league compared to all the other cars on the list. It's pretty astounding.

Delmaster
08-18-2009, 03:31 PM
There are no official times for the 'ring really - many 'ring times are reported by the manufacturer themselves to the press. Other ring times are done by magazine; Sport Auto's editor in chief Horst von Saurma has done many laps in various cars.

See here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring_lap_times).

As you can see, the Radical SR8 is in a different league compared to all the other cars on the list. It's pretty astounding.

OK, I see. Thanks

netburner
08-18-2009, 04:45 PM
The Radical's time is not official, because 1.) they didn't had an official solicitor to prove the time and 2.) the car is not roadlegal in Germany which it must be for the official record (don't ask who came up with that rule).

wwgkd
08-18-2009, 04:49 PM
The Radical's time is not official, because 1.) they didn't had an official solicitor to prove the time and 2.) the car is not roadlegal in Germany which it must be for the official record (don't ask who came up with that rule).

I had thought that in the EU if a car is legal in one country it is legal in all of them? Or is that just more bs from teh internets?

Kitdy
08-18-2009, 05:40 PM
The SR8 I think is legal somewhere though - isn't it?

But as I said earlier, I'm don't think there is an official 'ring lap time sanctioning body - the times are just reported on by whoever sets them and that's that.

wwgkd
08-18-2009, 05:42 PM
The SR8 I think is legal somewhere though - isn't it?

But as I said earlier, I'm don't think there is an official 'ring lap time sanctioning body - the times are just reported on by whoever sets them and that's that.

Yeah, street legal in the UK, but just about everything is there.

Kitdy
08-18-2009, 05:47 PM
You'd really think that the EU by now would have a universal set of standards for road legal cars - so much of the EU is already so integrated.

Does anyone know what it is about the SR8 that makes it illegal in Germany?

netburner
08-19-2009, 03:17 AM
I don't know for the SR8, but with the SR4 (or what was the name of the smaller version?) they had a license of road legality, until someone in our german government found out that they cheated with some papers they had to show about exhaust emissions and since that they have a problem with our government (which I fully understand, to be honest).

Ecnelis
08-23-2009, 01:31 AM
Gumpert Apollo Sport @ Nordschleife

Seven:Eleven, Fifty-seven

GUMPERT apollo sport sets new lap record for road legal cars on legendary Nurburgring Nordschleife to 7:11,57 min (Altenburg/Nurburg)

It is August, 13th. The air has a temperature of 20 degrees Celsius and the sky is clouded. At 12:55 p.m. professional race driver Florian Gruber (age 26) crosses the line of the Nurburgring Nordschleife and unleashes the 700 hp of his GUMPERT apollo sport. He has set off into a race against the clock. His only objective: To break the record for road legal cars on the legendary 13 mile racetrack, once felicitously entitled “the green hell” by racing legend Sir Jackie Stewart. And to beat the existing official record of the Donkervoort D8 RS06 set almost 4 years ago.

7 minutes, 11 seconds and 57 hundreds of a second later Gruber crosses the line again. He has proven: The GUMPERT apollo sport is officially the fastest road legal factory car ever to circle the Ring until today. With an average speed of around 106,78 mp/h (171,84 km/h) the apollo was by 3,32 seconds faster than the former record holder. And – by the way – more than 13 seconds faster than the Maserati MC 12 in 2008. ”And, well - I even could have gone a little faster”, said the pretty unimpressed driver after coming back into the pits. And not even one drop of sweat on his brow after the record lap. The apollo sport in standard factory specification was equipped with road legal MICHELIN Pilot Sport Cup tires and an adjustable suspension by KW suspensions.

“The conditions were good, but not perfect – so we have still got potential to go faster”, concluded Florian Gruber. From his point of view, the apollo has the potential to even break the 7 minutes mark. And Roland Gumpert, former Head of AUDI SPORT and managing director of the GUMPERT Sportwagenmanufaktur, adds with a wink: “It is great that we broke the record and that we were able to show the potential of the apollo – but at this stage there is no need to go faster. We don´t want to demoralize our fellow competitors by now...”

Ecnelis
08-23-2009, 01:32 AM
Gumpert Apollo Sport @ Nordschleife #2

NSXType-R
11-09-2012, 01:08 PM
I actually liked the Apollo, but I guess they're no more.

Supercar maker Gumpert files for bankruptcy | Digital Trends (http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/supercar-maker-gumpert-goes-bankrupt/)

Filing for bankruptcy doesn't always exactly mean the end, but it certainly is very close to it.

pimento
11-09-2012, 08:35 PM
It's all right, they got unbankrupted too.

Gumpert rescued by new investor (http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/23/gumpert-rescued-by-new-investor/)

Ecnelis
11-17-2012, 04:40 AM
Gumpert is still under insolvency administration, but the future is promising.

Sports car manufacturer Gumpert is recovering after insolvency

After being able to restart production during insolvency administration, slowly but steadily the order list is getting longer. Insolvency proceedings started, according to schedule, on 16th October 2012. Only some days later the first new car sale took place. Insolvency administrator Mr. Görge Scheid is convinced that with all orders in negotiation, business will continue permanently and sustainably.

First negotiations with investors take place. Despite a downturn in the automotive industry, the strong demand for the sports car apollo shows that there is still a place in the market for an independent sports car manufacturer.

Compared to other small series producers, which face insolvency (Melkus, Artega), the apollo comes with self-contained technical developments on the highest level. The super sports car has a small and exclusive fan base in Germany. As all cars are handmade, every masterpiece is unique and built to specific customer needs.

Managing director Roland Gumpert informed: “Next quarter we expect to sell four to five cars”. The world wide dealer network has been reactivated, so that also orders from Japan, China, Turkey and the Middle East are expected.

“We strongly assume that we will find an investor and save all 25 jobs in Altenburg”, announced insolvency administrator Mr. Scheid. About ten years ago Roland Gumpert, technical manager of AUDI, fulfilled himself a personal dream by developing the apollo and the further model Tornante. His dream continues.