PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes Benz E63 AMG vs. BMW M5

Prius
03-08-2007, 04:20 PM
Ok, here is a comparo, the Mercedes Benz E63 AMG vs the BMW M5.

Mercedes-Benz
http://www.emercedesbenz.com/Images/Aug06/23_2007_Mercedes_Benz_Model_Lineup/E63_AMG_2007_Mercedes_BenzS.jpg
MSRP * $84,600 - $85,400
Invoice * $78,678 - $79,422
Engine 6.2L V-8 507 HP
Transmission 7-spd SPEEDSHIFT w/OD
Fuel Economy City 14.0 mpg
Fuel Economy Highway 20.0 mpg

BMW M5
http://www.automotivechronicles.com/articles/2005/mar/02/images/b33125-bmw-m5.jpg
• 5.0-liter V-10 engine producing 500hp, 383 lb-ft. torque (previous M5: 4.9-liter V-8, 394 hp, 368 lb-ft.)

• 7-speed Sequential Manual Gearbox (SMG)

• 6-speed manual transmission (no-cost option)

Handling, ride & braking

• M Variable Differential Lock

• Specially modified and calibrated front and rear suspension

• Electronic Damping Control, BMW's system of electronically controlled suspension in a new and special BMW M version with three modes

• Special steering system, 'quicker' than that of the 5 Series and offering two levels of speed-sensitive power assist

• Compound, cross-ventilated disc brakes, BMW's largest-dimensional and most powerful ever

• 19-inch alloy wheels with Z-rated performance tires in differentiated front/rear sizes

• BMW M-calibrated Dynamic Stability Control with selectable M Dynamic Mode

• MDrive, a submenu in the iDrive system that allows the driver to 'set up' his or her own preferred performance and handling settings for instant recall

Me Personally, I perfer the E63. Now don't just say that because "Oh he's a Mercedes fanboy, of course he wants the Benz!", I have a good reason.

When I took both for power laps in GT4 (I am broke and license-less, so bear with me on this one)The BMW was the fastest, and the more pleasent to drive. I loved driving the BMW. I loved it so much that I went into sim mode immediately afterwards and bought one and removed the limiter, and it flew! It is just like Jeremy Clarkson put it, it is a wonderful car to drive. The Benz was clumsier in the turns and trailed the Bimmer's lap time by a second or two. But, what makes the Benz triumph over the Bimmer is not peformance. I like the Benz better because it doesn't seem to scream "peformance sedan" as much as the BMW. It still has the classic Benz style and luxury. So you can lay rubber on the track, then look right at home on a night on the town. It lives a dumbe life pretty much. It is a beast when you want it, and a confort cruiser when you just want to cruise. Another thing is the BMW's electronics. There is so much fiddly tec stuff, that it can make you scream. You need to go through three sub menus just to change the station! Whatever happened to presets and a seek button?!? And there is too much fiddly tech stuff that you dont' know what to turn on or off, or anything. The Benz is much more user friendly. And just with design too. The BMW is a beast through and through. It screams "bruiser" from a mile away, while as I said above, the Benz can be tame when you want, and a beast when you need it to. And that is why I perfer the Benz.

IWantAnAudiRS6
03-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Oh he's a Mercedes fanboy, of course he wants the Benz!

Ferrer
03-08-2007, 04:26 PM
When I took both for power laps in GT4 (I am broke and license-less, so bear with me on this one)The BMW was the fastest, and the more pleasent to drive. I loved driving the BMW. I loved it so much that I went into sim mode immediately afterwards and bought one and removed the limiter, and it flew! It is just like Jeremy Clarkson put it, it is a wonderful car to drive. The Benz was clumsier in the turns and trailed the Bimmer's lap time by a second or two. But, what makes the Benz triumph over the Bimmer is not peformance. I like the Benz better because it doesn't seem to scream "peformance sedan" as much as the BMW. It still has the classic Benz style and luxury. So you can lay rubber on the track, then look right at home on a night on the town. It lives a dumbe life pretty much. It is a beast when you want it, and a confort cruiser when you just want to cruise. Another thing is the BMW's electronics. There is so much fiddly tec stuff, that it can make you scream. You need to go through three sub menus just to change the station! Whatever happened to presets and a seek button?!? And there is too much fiddly tech stuff that you dont' know what to turn on or off, or anything. The Benz is much more user friendly. And just with design too. The BMW is a beast through and through. It screams "bruiser" from a mile away, while as I said above, the Benz can be tame when you want, and a beast when you need it to. And that is why I perfer the Benz.
I can see 2 flaws in your argument. First one is that no matter how real GT4 is it's not real life by any standards.

But even if it was what does really kill you argument is the fact that the Merc in GT4 is the E55 not the E63...

IWantAnAudiRS6
03-08-2007, 04:27 PM
I was thinking just the same thing, before I posted my glib reply. Prius, get a license and try out both the cars, then try that argument.

Ferrer
03-08-2007, 04:31 PM
By the way I'll have a CLS63 AMG, thank you.

Equinox
03-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Well just to go back on topic here for a quick sec... I like both, but on other threads on this site, some people say BMW's dont have good style. Well that BMW M5 looks pretty damn nice to me. But my standards are also low.

But I would have to go with the Mercedes, It is a nice car.

Well back to thrashing!

Prius
03-08-2007, 04:34 PM
That is easier said than done.

But I still think that my style argument still stands. The Benz looks good on the track and a night on the town. The M5 is purely a track car. Plus, of course, the BMW is too technical. When I get into a car, I want to turn the key and go, not spend thirty minutes getting all the minute techincal bits just right. That novelty will wear off after the first week.

Prius
03-08-2007, 04:35 PM
I can see 2 flaws in your argument. First one is that no matter how real GT4 is it's not real life by any standards.

But even if it was what does really kill you argument is the fact that the Merc in GT4 is the E55 not the E63...

I thought it was the E63. My mistake. Purely a mistake.

Rockefella
03-08-2007, 04:36 PM

But I still think that my style argument still stands. The Benz looks good on the track and a night on the town. The M5 is purely a track car. Plus, of course, the BMW is too technical. When I get into a car, I want to turn the key and go, not spend thirty minutes getting all the minute techincal bits just right. That novelty will wear off after the first week.

Erm, no.

Ferrer
03-08-2007, 04:38 PM

When EVO tested the Maserati Quattroporte it beat the BMW M5 at the Bedford Autdrome. By that logic if you want a track car buy the big Maser.

When I look a Mercedes-Benz E-class and a Maserati Quattroporte it's clear which is the more stylish and elegant.

Maserati Quattroporte ftw.

Prius
03-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Yes, the Maser does trump the Benz. But it has a triple digit price tag too.

Ferrer
03-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Yes, the Maser does trump the Benz. But it has a triple digit price tag too.
That's true. Hence the CLS.

baddabang
03-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Obviously the Cadillac is the only decent choice here.

Rockefella
03-08-2007, 04:47 PM

lolstfu fanboi

This post probably warrants an infraction, but who cares.

Prius
03-08-2007, 04:51 PM

I know that. Jeremy Clarkson proved that. But then again, his test was flawed somewhat, as he used a NSXR in the game, and an Acura NSX in real life, which is consideriblly heavier.

But I do know that GT is a bit dumbed down from real life, but as I said, I don't have a license nor do I have a fraction of the prices of both of those cars, so this is all I got. I knwo that it probably won't be exactly like what the cars are like in real life, but it is close, so I don't use it to make my full judgement.

jediali
03-08-2007, 04:51 PM
hmmm the caddys definatley the coolest. regardless of american mussel...in fact gimme the caddy with the M5 V10 and the merc's comfort

Vaigra
03-08-2007, 04:52 PM
lolstfu fanboi

We've already established I'm a caring person.

Rockefella
03-08-2007, 04:54 PM

Agreed. <3

baddabang
03-08-2007, 04:54 PM
lolstfu fanboi

Your mom is the only thing I am a fanboi of.

Prius
03-08-2007, 04:59 PM
hmmm the caddys definatley the coolest. regardless of american mussel...in fact gimme the caddy with the M5 V10 and the merc's comfort

I have to admit, the Caddy is the best looking. That is obvious, but it's GM's constant cost cutting and the ar's overall cheapness that keeps it from being a real competitor. If GM would just actually spend some money and not be so frugal, the new Caddys would really be something. The USA would finally have something in Europe's rearviews.

jediali
03-08-2007, 05:03 PM
i think the northstar V8 GM has is great, real competition for the european market, just get a good gearbox and car attatched t it and your onto a winner! I think their real close. the sts is a fine car just a bit cheap inside

zeppelin
03-08-2007, 05:18 PM

Off topic, but do you have that F40 shot (and possibly more like it) in high res. It'd make a glorious desktop.

Oh and so I don't completely derail, I'd take neither. Neither car appeals to me. Audi RS 6, of any hyper sedan, and it'll be reinforced further when the new one comes out.

roosterjuicer
03-08-2007, 06:05 PM
i gotta saw the benz all the way. ive never been much of a fan of bmw i figure if you wanna get a german car and be all classy might as well go all the way and for me, it doesn't get much classier than a benz (personal opinion of course)

plus i am a huge fan of american muscle and i consider the benz to be the closest thing to american muscle on there (including the caddy :^(

jediali
03-08-2007, 06:14 PM
i gotta saw the benz all the way. ive never been much of a fan of bmw i figure if you wanna get a german car and be all classy might as well go all the way and for me, it doesn't get much classier than a benz (personal opinion of course)

plus i am a huge fan of american muscle and i consider the benz to be the closest thing to american muscle on there (including the caddy :^(

Interesting. In the Uk some poll revealed that most people thought the x-type was classier than a c-class, 3-series, A4 etc. While they may subjectively still lead in class their quality has been superceded elsewhere.

I think the muscle cars in the UK are the VXRs. I saw a 240hp thingy astra today ! I feel that merc are too electronicly governed to feel as liberating as a musscle car.

coolieman1220
03-08-2007, 06:31 PM
the merc looks good and sounds hot but it doesn't look good enough. it still looks like an e class. the beemer doesn't look like a 5 series at all it has the outline but from any angle u can say thats an M. merc needs better tranny's too.

Prius
03-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Well, the fact that the E63 looks like an E class is the reason why I like it better then the bimmer.

I worded that one post wrong, when i said the M5 was a pure track car. What I mean is that the M5 previously was the ultimate sleeper. It looked just like the normal 5 series except for soem minor changes. The new M5 has "M5" written all over it, and it completely lost that whole sleeper charastic that made you like it in the first place. That is why the new M5 doesn't measure up to me IMO.

And I agree with the Northstar. As I said, if GM would stop being so cheap and put some high quality materials in that interior, Cadillac would be a real euro competitor. The CAdillac's downfall is purely cheapness and inferior plastic materials.

nota
03-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Interesting. In the Uk some poll revealed that most people thought the x-type was classier than a c-class, 3-series, A4 etc. While they may subjectively still lead in class their quality has been superceded elsewhere.
Within a class-concious culture like the UK, is this poll result reflected in sales? Or is the perception unrelated to subjection? ;)

03-08-2007, 07:17 PM
the caddilac would be more compettitve if the z06's engine was under the hood
You could also apply that to the E63 AMG in the form of a E65 AMG

Coventrysucks
03-08-2007, 07:17 PM

Pft.

I know someone who decided to have a CTS as a company car, since they are supposed to be selling them.

He went through several before defecting to something Bavarian that won't break, and dealers can't even give the things away.

I'd have an a deposit on a QP Auto and an E34 & E39 M5 in the meantime.

clutch-monkey
03-08-2007, 07:34 PM
The M5 is purely a track car.
HAHAHAHAHAHA

cough..anyway, the M5 is too much of a compromise for me, and way too ugly, so i'd have to choose the AMG even if i'm not exactly fond of it either.

Vaigra
03-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Agreed. <3
So what you wating for? Infraction yo'self fool.

The_Canuck
03-08-2007, 08:03 PM
I refuse to vote, gimme the damn S6.

E63 if I had to...

kingofthering
03-08-2007, 08:24 PM
When I took both for power laps in GT4 (I am broke and license-less, so bear with me on this one)The BMW was the fastest, and the more pleasent to drive. I loved driving the BMW. I loved it so much that I went into sim mode immediately afterwards and bought one and removed the limiter, and it flew! It is just like Jeremy Clarkson put it, it is a wonderful car to drive. The Benz was clumsier in the turns and trailed the Bimmer's lap time by a second or two. But, what makes the Benz triumph over the Bimmer is not peformance.

Yeah... I set a 7:11 at the Nuerburgring in a WRX STI in GT4. Does that mean I totally pw3n all and know how to drive a WRX STI Spec-C? Nope.

The_Canuck
03-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Is there even a E63 AMG in GT4?

Vaigra
03-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Is there even a E63 AMG in GT4?
See the third post of this thread.

Ingolstadt
03-09-2007, 02:46 AM
Although i do agree that the M5 looks too bullish, however I'd rather look like a mafia than an idiot, idiot being that now there's something called CLS63AMG

And there's also the car that nearly went to the outer space (i find the campaign funny) which looked better than the E-Class, not as bullish as the M5 and doesn't have something from the same factory that made the owner looked stupid.

Ingolstadt
03-09-2007, 02:48 AM
BTW, Cadillac? What? cars for those gold tooth rappers?

Vaigra
03-09-2007, 03:23 AM
Although i do agree that the M5 looks too bullish, however I'd rather look like a mafia than an idiot, idiot being that now there's something called CLS63AMG

And there's also the car that nearly went to the outer space (i find the campaign funny) which looked better than the E-Class, not as bullish as the M5 and doesn't have something from the same factory that made the owner looked stupid.

BTW, Cadillac? What? cars for those gold tooth rappers?
You really should edit your posts into one post.

Ingolstadt
03-09-2007, 08:14 AM
It's meant to look like an after thought.

Now you've made another 2 post added for no reason at all.

:D

Vaigra
03-09-2007, 11:23 AM
You could have just put it at the end of the first post?

IWantAnAudiRS6
03-09-2007, 11:24 AM
Oh stop arguing, both of you... don't make me bang your heads together... even you, Kungfuski...

Vaigra
03-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Leave my head out of this, moob-boy.

IWantAnAudiRS6
03-09-2007, 11:28 AM
*slams head into ground and pins it there with a solid Timberland*

Quiet, mortal.

I have balls of steel. It is said that even Chuck Norris can't destroy them, eat death :p

woodstock827
03-09-2007, 11:32 AM
I like the E63 better.
One reason is that I don't really like the looks of any new BMWs.
Another being I prefer luxury over sporty (while still capable of being sporty).
The M5 just screams "Look at me. I'm fast." which I don't really like on a sport sedan.
The CLS would be a car to compare, but really depends if you want the fifth seat or not and if you like its styling. I still like the E more than the CLS for its more classy look.

Vaigra
03-09-2007, 11:32 AM
*slams head into ground and pins it there with a solid Timberland*

Quiet, mortal.

I have balls of steel. It is said that even Chuck Norris can't destroy them, eat death :p
Why are you slamming your head into the ground?
Must be that time of the month...

IWantAnAudiRS6
03-09-2007, 11:44 AM
http://www.caturday.ca/cats/caption3/captions093.jpg

Piacki_117
03-09-2007, 11:59 AM
I voted "Cadillac sucks".

kingofthering
03-09-2007, 01:03 PM
Why are you slamming your head into the ground?
Must be that time of the month...

I thought he was a male. :eek: :D :D

MRR
03-11-2007, 05:17 PM
4 years ago the M5 would have been the obvious choice but the new E63 is much better looking than the current M5 and as far as I have read just as capable performance-wise. The M5 does have that no cost 6-speed which I prefer over anything else but I have also read that if you order the stick and clutch transmission the stability control can never be entirely turned off (making the SMG the better choice if you want an M5).

IWantAnAudiRS6
03-12-2007, 12:41 AM
4 years ago the M5 would have been the obvious choice but the new E63 is much better looking than the current M5 and as far as I have read just as capable performance-wise. The M5 does have that no cost 6-speed which I prefer over anything else but I have also read that if you order the stick and clutch transmission the stability control can never be entirely turned off (making the SMG the better choice if you want an M5).

Yeah, BMW did that so you can't launch the car properly. Where's the fun in that?

Ferrer
03-12-2007, 09:11 AM
Is there a better choice when ordering a M5... :rolleyes:

kingofthering
03-12-2007, 10:44 AM
Yeah, BMW did that so you can't launch the car properly. Where's the fun in that?

They did that for a reason; the engineers found that allowing you to launch the car with a 6 speed with the Traction Control off would lead to a screwed-up engine/transmission in the future.

Ingolstadt
03-12-2007, 10:49 AM
They did that for a reason; the engineers found that allowing you to launch the car with a 6 speed with the Traction Control off would lead to a screwed-up engine/transmission in the future.

And the 'future' wasn't far enough for the warranty to expire. :D