PDA

View Full Version : Driving techniques

Cedric
05-19-2003, 02:48 AM
Does any of you know a good site giving proper driving techniques? I've seen the Physics site, but I would like one without the maths and the calculations. And... I'd like to know what it takes to perform a good four-wheel drift.

Nogger
05-19-2003, 02:36 PM
What you need is car-control. And you can't get that from reading a book...:rolleyes:

Cedric
05-19-2003, 02:39 PM
Practise is all it takes, but never underestimate the power of well-founded theory.

Kudosdude
05-20-2003, 01:10 AM
Do you know what a four wheel drift actually is?

Wouter Melissen
05-20-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Kudosdude
Do you know what a four wheel drift actually is?

A lot of fun? :D

Cedric
05-20-2003, 01:50 PM
And high class way of taking the bends :D :D

henk4
05-21-2003, 04:11 AM
and scaring the s..t out of most of you (including myself)

Kudosdude
05-21-2003, 04:31 AM
Ay, the above three are correct ;)

I have had enough of idiots in the pub talking complete rubbish. So - first what Four wheel drift is not

Where all four tyres are squeeling across the tarmac "Drifting". The car is goin sideways.

I really have had way too much of pub arguments where people haven't a clue. . . :mad:

Four-Wheel Drift is a cornering situation where all four tires are operating at large slip angles. Tyres have not lost grip.

henk4
05-21-2003, 05:18 AM
judging fromwhat is produced in British pubs in general(take f.i. the beer??), you cannot expect otherwise than rubbish about whatever subject.

guyt_x
06-05-2003, 05:57 AM
First of all people the point of driving a car performance car fast is to get from point A to point B in the least possible time.
Trying to get the wheels to sqeak and sqeal is just stupid, all this does is puts undue strain on the vehicle and cause extra tyre wear and you loose speed.
You dont see schumacher trying to broad slide his ferrari now do you, even with rallying the drivers try to keep wheel spin,drifting and whatever else to a minimun.

Cedric
06-05-2003, 06:26 AM
That is true, but drivers of the past were bound to go faster on some tracks by drifting. Take Goodwood, you just slide your way round it.

Nash
06-05-2003, 11:39 AM
Drifting is illegal, and if I see any of you even trying...I'm going to arrest you and destory your license.

Cedric
06-05-2003, 11:46 AM
Big yawn here.

guyt_x
06-09-2003, 02:11 AM
yawning is rude

henk4
06-09-2003, 05:04 AM
OK, here's something to put your teeth into.
The Maserati 250F was designed will a somewhat flexible chassis that would at its best when the car was put into a moderate four wheel drift. Period pictures of the car during races show this tendency pretty well, and Fangio probably used it to the limit.
In modern "historic races" the chassis tend to break under the improved adherence of modern tires. What is the solution to overcome this tendency? Serious answers only please. (and please Kudosdude, if you know the answer can you wait a little bit with posting, just to find who else around is really knowledgable)

Kudosdude
06-09-2003, 05:22 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^NO FAIR^^^^^^^^^^^

henk4
06-09-2003, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by Kudosdude
^^^^^^^^^^^NO FAIR^^^^^^^^^^^

There is a thread about the removal of stupid comments, so be warned.

guyt_x
06-09-2003, 10:23 PM
Very interesting question , maybe they just keep tire width to a standard measurement so the tire will be able to give before the chassis does because im with "historic races" the car should stay relativing the same as the age of technology woud allow.

Im am very interested in the answer, but dont see another solution with out modifiying the "historic" cars or getting tire companies to design a tire with really bad tractability....

Guyt_X waits...

Cedric
06-10-2003, 07:47 AM
I would suggest reducing the camber.

Kudosdude
06-11-2003, 02:06 AM
Regarding

Does any of you know a good site giving proper driving techniques? I've seen the Physics site, but I would like one without the maths and the calculations. And... I'd like to know what it takes to perform a good four-wheel drift.

Wouldn't you be better off going on an action day and booking private car lessons with an instructor?

I think it might be a better option.

A book is great for cementing knowledge and finding the whys.

It's also useful for ironing out problems with the handling of your car.

Goodluck

Cedric
06-16-2003, 03:43 AM
okay, fine, but is it reducing camber now?

Egg Nog
06-21-2003, 12:30 AM
You'll find everything you need to know on this page:

http://www.geocities.com/punk_band/writings/thrashing.htm

Cedric
06-21-2003, 03:26 AM
Thanks , but it isn't in there. I need Henk4 to know the correct answer to this question. is he out there?

henk4
06-21-2003, 01:29 PM
Yes Cedric, I am out here, and actually today I was in Belgium, at Zolder. There are a couple of 250F's racing during this weekend so I will try to speak with some of the owners/drivers. When I put the question on the forum I did not have the answer, I wanted to know the answer. I could be the camber but I really don't know.

Kudosdude if you want you can step in now?