PDA

View Full Version : SSC comes up short...kinda

evile
03-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Here's is a link to a report regarding SSC's assault on the Veyron. Hopefully, they will get another shot soon.

http://blog.worldcarfans.com/index.cfm/8070326.003/ssc-ult

ferrarifreak013
03-26-2007, 09:16 PM
has anyone else noticed how the cars that keep taking the spot for fastest production car just keep getting uglier and uglier?

ScionDriver
03-26-2007, 09:26 PM
has anyone else noticed how the cars that keep taking the spot for fastest production car just keep getting uglier and uglier?

I am sorry but I disagree. I think that the Veyron is very good looking, in a unique way. It has the Bugatti heritage while taking on a new level of design and function.

The Koenigsegg I think is even better looking, low, sleek, if it were all black you might think that Batman were driving it. The doors are a work of art. The whole car just looks slippery.

ferrarifreak013
03-26-2007, 11:00 PM
^I do agree with what you said about the Koenigsegg I think that is an exception I guess, and you are right about how Bugatti stuck to its heritage but i still don't really like it.

Ferrer
03-27-2007, 12:34 AM
It has the Bugatti heritage while taking on a new level of design and function.
Bugatti heritage right... :rolleyes:

This might be fast, but it is seriously ugly, reason enough for me not to buy one, should I be in the supercar market.

Man of Steel
03-27-2007, 03:57 AM
I don't get it - Should SSC succeed in reaching those kinds of speeds in the near future successfully. As it took Bugatti years to reach approx. 407 km/h safely, retreating and relaunching the whole project several times.

2ndclasscitizen
03-27-2007, 05:00 AM
Which would make me sceptical about their claims.

adrenaline
03-27-2007, 06:56 AM

I Agree. I don't mind the rear of the Veyron though. Actually I quite like it. The front, however, is a different story.

Kitdy
03-27-2007, 10:02 AM

Yeah, I vote that the SSC is one of the ugliest cars in recent supercar memoery, up there with the Gumpert Apollo. The Koenigsegg on the otherhand is sick, and the Veyron - so-so in my eyes.

fisetdavid26
03-27-2007, 06:57 PM
I'm the only one thinking that but... I like the front of the SSC. It looks mean. Aggressive. Powerful. Overall I agree with y'all it's ugly, however.

Pando
03-27-2007, 07:09 PM
In my opinion it's the front that makes the SSC ugly. :o

Equinox
03-28-2007, 09:29 AM
The overall shape, kinda reminds me of a lamborghini. I dont mean looking at the front etc. I mean just looking at the overall shape of the car. The silhouette of the car, I guess is the term for it!

Fiorano
03-28-2007, 09:45 AM
so what was wrong with the Vector?

rev440
03-28-2007, 12:08 PM
This is what the driver had to say to FCHAT. I hope the car goes 251+ and I think it can and will do it.

Hi guys,

I think the press release pretty much sums it up.

When we woke up Wednesday morning the ground was covered in snow to our disbelief!!! We spent the day driving 93A looking for a good stretch of road. Unfortunantly all the water on the road would mask the true road conditions that would haunt us the next day. In some places the snow was pilled up over 6 inches on the side of the road. We could only hope for dry conditions the next day.

My first pass on Thrusday, I ran the car over 200mph then I turned around and brought it back up to 221mph. When I pulled into our pit area and the owner of the company asked me, "I thought we were going to keep it under 200mph for the first run?" I replied, "Well it felt so good, I just did it." LOL. Its not how fast you go, its about how comfortable you are going fast!!

We made another pass later that was over 230mph and the car was still pulling really hard! I was trying to be very gentle on the throttle because I could tell the car had a lot of power.

After making some adjustments to the car, we only had time for one more pass before our permit ran out. We felt the short side of the course (the shut down side) had a better section of road, so i was going to have to be more aggressive on the throttle if we were going to post a 240mph+ number. When i shifted into 6th gear at 180mph I started feeding on the power. When it hit 5,000rpm, 190mph, the engine seemed to "free-rev" and I smelled smoke. I thought something broke so I put the car into neutral and coasted. After reving the engine a few times and putting the car back into gear, everything seemed fine. It was then that i realized that this car has so much power it "smoked" the tires at 190mph!!!! So I just cruised it up to about 217mph as I shook my head in disbelief.....

fisetdavid26
03-28-2007, 01:56 PM
so what was wrong with the Vector?
What Vector? Where did we talk about a Vector?

Rockefella
03-28-2007, 02:11 PM
I hope the SSC gets up to 250 mph and blows up right before breaking the record.

Kitdy
03-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Rocke you are a sick, sick man.

Snow 1, SSC 0.

When is the next run then?

jcp123
03-28-2007, 02:42 PM

I have...especially the Enzo and Koenigsegg, they are almost as homely as the Scion Rolling Toaster. Although, I've never been a fan of the supercar form anyway.

Coventrysucks
03-28-2007, 03:26 PM
I hope the SSC gets up to 250 mph and blows up right before breaking the record.

I hope they get 270mph, and the whole world goes: "So?"

Honestly, this whole saga is because they are obviously too under-endowed to run around waving their penises about in public.

Equinox
03-28-2007, 03:40 PM

Honestly, this whole saga is because they are obviously too under-endowed to run about waving their penises about.

lol... you said penises... damn now I said it!

But I have to agree. There are too many small companies creating cars just to beat speed records. Just build a damn car and be happy with it, and worry about what your companies heritage will be years from now. :)

There is no point in building a car, just to beat a speed record, because even if you do get the new record... it will not last very long. Look at Ferrari for example. Their not worried about building the fastest car. They just want to build high quality, fast sports cars. That can handle and are of good quality. (If I insulted anyone by those statements... Well I just want to say, I dont care!) Well I do alittle bit... sorry:o

Kitdy
03-28-2007, 04:16 PM
I care about top speed records too. I probably shouldn't, I should be more concerned with handiling and the like - but I guess handilling isn't as tangible a statistic as say, top speed or acceleration.

Coventry, that pic is a work of art. I'd nominate you for the Nobel prize of art if it existed. Uhhhhp, I have teared up as it is so funny.

F1_Master
03-28-2007, 04:55 PM

Honestly, this whole saga is because they are obviously too under-endowed to run around waving their penises about in public.

Then why should people think the CCR beating the decade old F1 (though still technically faster in kph) is awesome or the Veyron going 13 miles an hour faster? Because even if it does reach 253.3Mph, the truth is that Callaway had 255Mph almost a decade before Bugatti made the attempt.

Coventrysucks
03-28-2007, 05:41 PM
the truth is that Callaway had 255Mph almost a decade before Bugatti made the attempt.

Malcolm Campbell bettered 300mph in 1935.

If you want to go that fast, all you need to do is get a fairly powerful engine, some low-drag bodywork, decent tyres and you're away.

No fuss, no bother; easy as you like.

People are tricked into thinking that doing 250mph is some Earth-shattering event by the people who are doing it, because the people who are doing it want people to think they are amazing.

They aren't amazing: they are idiots.

The reason more cars don't do 250+mph is not because it is difficult, but because it forces so many compromises to achieve something someone might do more than once, possibly, that it just isn't worth the time, money and effort.

What you see is people with too much time, money and effort to spare focussing on a pointless, unremarkable non-goal to cover up the fact that their car is a Diablo kit-car with a Chevy V8 and Ford Focus headlamps.

Kitdy
03-28-2007, 05:56 PM
What you see is people with too much time, money and effort to spare focussing on a pointless, unremarkable non-goal to cover up the fact that their car is a Diablo kit-car with a Chevy V8 and Ford Focus headlamps.

What do you think about the Koenigsegg then Cov? I'd say based on results (lap times) it has proven itself to be a great contender on the track and for top speed. I would take the Koenigsegg in a blink over the atrocious looking SSC. I somehow doubt that the SSC handles anywhere near as well as the Koenigsegg. Do you think the Koenigsegg is stupid then

03-28-2007, 06:01 PM
The Bugatti EB110 is much better than the Veyron in my opinion.
The Veyron may be an uncomprimised peice of machinery built for one purpose but the EB110 was built has a proper car not as a sign declaring how VW can make a world speed record.

It's very true, about how ugly supercars are getting
for example:
Apollo thing
Bugatti Veyron
Ferrari 599
Ferrari 612
Ferrari Enzo
Maserati GranTurismo
Orca thing
SSC Aero

P4g4nite
03-28-2007, 06:37 PM
My God you people are a bunch of cynics.

Coventrysucks
03-28-2007, 07:23 PM
Do you think the Koenigsegg is stupid then

I really liked Koenigsegg, right up until they announced they were going to do 250mph... :rolleyes:

Several years later, now that they seem to have abandoned the pointless task and concentrated on actually making their car better rather than faster, I am warming to them again.

My God you people are a bunch of cynics.

And proud.

Kitdy
03-28-2007, 07:25 PM
I really liked Koenigsegg, right up until they announced they were going to do 250mph... :rolleyes:

If we are to believe top gear, they need a wing. A la the CCGT. I am kinda warming to your view. Top Speed is kinda pointless - a nice thing to be able to say your car has, but I'd prefer handilling any day.

The_Canuck
03-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Someone should just go the speed of light and finish all this. :rolleyes:

:p

baddabang
03-28-2007, 08:38 PM

Thats done daily in the AXB.

Ferrer
03-29-2007, 03:11 AM
Malcolm Campbell bettered 300mph in 1935.

If you want to go that fast, all you need to do is get a fairly powerful engine, some low-drag bodywork, decent tyres and you're away.

No fuss, no bother; easy as you like.

People are tricked into thinking that doing 250mph is some Earth-shattering event by the people who are doing it, because the people who are doing it want people to think they are amazing.

They aren't amazing: they are idiots.

The reason more cars don't do 250+mph is not because it is difficult, but because it forces so many compromises to achieve something someone might do more than once, possibly, that it just isn't worth the time, money and effort.

First of all I have to say that I don't like the Veyron, it has a problem of attitude in my opinion. But having said I think that it has to be respected hugely for what it has achieved. Some say that speed is pointless and I agree to an extent especially when we are talking of those mindboggling figures. However the same could be said about 0-60 figures (or insert any standstill acceleration you want) since in the real world you never (perhaps rarely) go from 0 to 60. But it's called pushing the envelope. Yes you Coventry say that 250mph isn't new, but the way the Bugatti achieves it most definitely is.

Let me put it this way. Achieving 250mph is easy. Making an all-rounder that can do 250mph and which has had more than 2 produced is most definitevely outstanding. And even if we don't like it we have to recognise Volkswagen's merit.

Equinox
03-29-2007, 07:56 AM
The only problem with making cars for the sole purpose to beat a speed record is, thats all people buy them for. They don't buy them because they are nice looking or reliable, have a nice heritage and have good "customer service" etc. etc.

They buy them just to say 'I have the fastest street legal car on the planet." Then their freinds say, 'really, what kind of car is it'... "Oh a Koenigsegg".. 'what the hell is that?'.

Most people have no idea what the hell these cars are, because all they are is just for speed. Then a year or so later the same person comes along and says... 'so what happened to your Koenigsegg?'. "Oh I dont drive it know. I bought the new fastest car in the world"... 'What's that?'. "Oh, its an SSC!"
The person's freind says the same thing... 'What the hell is that now?'

Kitdy
03-29-2007, 09:22 AM

I'm gonna go turn my flashlight. Do I get a prize?

Pando
03-29-2007, 12:25 PM
Thats done daily in the AXB.
Yes, when sunlight shines through the windows.

I'm gonna go turn my flashlight. Do I get a prize?You're not going any faster because of that. Prize denied.

fisetdavid26
03-29-2007, 01:56 PM
I'm gonna go turn my flashlight. Do I get a prize?
I can give you a big hug. Catch me on MSN to claim your prize.

Northalius
04-08-2007, 06:13 PM

No. If you mean the SSC Ultimate Aero that might take the Veyrons place? Then no, again. Because the SSC Ultimate Aero looks better than the Veyron. It doesn't look original compared to the Veyron, but it looks better; not ugly at all! ;)

Glisson
09-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Equinox, you said it regarding "What's that ?"
As you are probably aware by now I am a great admirer of the Bug legend.
When my dad bought me my first Scalextric (I was 10) in 1958, the two cars it came with were a Bugatti T35 and a Bentley.
So at an early age I started researching on these cars.
Then Bug disappeared off the map till the EB110 appeared.
Then virtually gone again until the V.
However, most (Probably 90% ) of people I talk to about my passion say,
"Oh, they build those fast expensive bikes? "(Ducatti)
and obviously:
"Is it Italian ?"
Amazing that it is all the unknowns who top this "fast chart".
Must say I'd never heard of Kegg till it broke the record either !
Now if the name Chevy had to feature in the SSC logo maybe someone would associate with it. lol

Viper007
09-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Well here is the news: SSC Ultimate Aero TT Averages 255 mph in Top Speed Runs at Auto-Focus.us (http://www.auto-focus.us/autoblog/?p=122)

Shelby Supercars (SSC), manufacturer of the ultra high-performance Ultimate Aero Twin Turbo, set the new “World’s Fastest Production Car” record Friday, September 14th with an average top speed of 255.83 mph. Confident of the 1183 hp vehicle’s abilities, SSC set out to validate their top speed claim in accordance with the strict guidelines set by Guinness World Records. Among other requirements, in order to meet Guinness’ approval, a vehicle testing for the top speed record must drive down the course, turn around, and make a second pass in the opposite direction within one hour. The vehicle’s official “top speed” is calculated by averaging the top speeds of each pass in order to negate any favorable road or weather conditions. Friday, on a temporarily-closed 2 lane stretch of public highway in Washington State, the Ultimate Aero posted a top speed of 257.11 mph (413.83 kph) on its first pass and 254.55 mph (409.71 kph) on its return pass, yielding a new top speed record: a staggering 255.83 mph (411.76 kph). The data, collected by Dewetron’s world-renowned GPS tracking system, will be verified by Guinness before the Ultimate Aero is officially crowned the “World’s Fastest Production Car.” This breaks the current official record held by the Koenigsegg CCR at 242 mph by 11.83 mph and the Bugatti Veyron’s unofficial speed of 253 mph by 3.11 mph.

SSC’s high-speed durability and aerodynamic test runs started in March on a 12-mile stretch of Highway 93 in Elko County, Nevada. After the scouting team discovered a more appropriate test site testing moved to open roads in SSC’s home state of Washington. Unlike these previous tests, which encompassed various durability trials of the Ultimate Aero’s drivetrain and powertrain, today’s session was dedicated solely to determining the vehicle’s top speed capabilities. A recently repaved two-lane section of Highway 221 in Washington was ultimately selected for the task, though navigating the road’s slight elevation changes and mid-way S-bend proved to be a challenge. Test driver Chuck Bigelow, 71 of Richland, WA, had to pass through the S-bend at a minimum of 210 mph in order to attain record speed during the following straightaway (with only 1.5 miles before braking was required); after the record-breaking run, Bigelow stated “if there was additional straight pavement on which to accelerate, the top speed would have been considerably higher and if anyone challenges your record there is tons left on the table”.

Lack of a dedicated test site, which many of the larger automotive manufacturers have at their disposal, was just one of the many obstacles in SSC’s way. Led by founder and lead designer Jerod Shelby, the SSC design team spent the past seven years creating, engineering, and testing the Ultimate Aero. “From the beginning, we felt confident that the Ultimate Aero was first in its class. SSC’s design team deserves their place in the record books for their tireless determination and motivation on this project. We are enormously pleased with the progress we’ve made with the Ultimate Aero and we’re excited to put more of these impressive machines into the hands of our customers,” Shelby stated.

“This is a dream come true,” he said while celebrating at SSC’s production facility. “Everyone at SSC worked so hard in designing, testing, and building the Ultimate Aero, and now to accomplish this record is amazing. The fact that we are a small privately owned company and were able to do something much bigger companies haven’t done on massive budgets makes this so exciting for the entire SSC team.” said Shelby.

With 1183 bhp and 1094 ft-lbs of torque, the Ultimate Aero produces more emissions-legal horsepower than any other production automobile in the world (another Guinness World Record for which SSC is currently applying). Despite being designed to run at redline for extended periods of time, the Ultimate Aero remains remarkably drivable. The proprietary twin-turbo V8 power plant retains excellent idle characteristics, and thanks to a drag coefficient of just .357, wind tunnel testing calculates the vehicle to be aerodynamically stable to speeds up to 273 mph. Featuring all the amenities found in a luxury sedan, the supple leather/suede interior is highlighted by custom Recaro seats, a 10 speaker premium system, DVD/navigation/backup camera, and a cab-controlled lift that raises the front an extra four inches to navigate road hazards.