04-01-2007, 07:07 AM
Vote for who's photo you think is best
Please vote in both threads

Ken Tsui
Bentley Continental GTC
Cananda Bay, Sydney
Canon EOS
02/03 /2007
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=235877&d=1175298510

Timothy (in VA)
Chromesler
300C in a gravel parking lot
February 28, 2007
Sony DSC-S500
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=235878&d=1175299225

Speedy_2
GT-40
All Ford Show
3-24-07
Canon 350D w/EF-S 10-22mm
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=235879&d=1175300625

MadMax13
Audi R8
Denver Auto Show, Denver Convention Center
Today
Konica Minolta Dimage Z6
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=235886&d=1175303857

2ndclasscitizen
Ducati 749
Auto Italia 2007
Pentax *ist DS + EF500DG Super
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=235892&d=1175311443

My Porsche
Nikon D50 (EDIT: @18mm w/CPL)
Texas World Speedway
Two Weeks Ago
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=235894&d=1175311665

F1_Master
Kodak P850
Dallas Auto Show
Two Weeks Ago
Rosso in the Grey
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=235896&d=1175315914

IBrake4Rainbows
Faded Icon
Fuji FinePix S5600
31/03/07
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=235923&d=1175323391

Wouter Melissen
Sliding Porsche
Paul Ricard HTTT
Canon + Sigma
26/03/07
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=235933&d=1175329158

Drakkie
Audi R8 detail under perfect lighting !
Fuji Finepix S5600
AutoRAi 2007
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=235936&d=1175334856

Cotterik
04-01-2007, 10:03 AM
why does everyone always vote for wouter?

henk4
04-01-2007, 10:07 AM

did you have a good look at the picture?

Kitdy
04-01-2007, 10:24 AM
did you have a good look at the picture?

Yeah. I did. It is absolutely amazing.

baddabang
04-01-2007, 10:39 AM

I was going to vote for it since the Corvette was ahead of the Porsche, but we're not allowed to vote for the car. :p

Mr.Tiv
04-01-2007, 10:52 AM

"Vote for who's photo you think is best"

henk4
04-01-2007, 10:53 AM
"Vote for who's photo you think is best"

yeah, maybe we should post anonimously to avoid such problems:)

Niko_Fx
04-01-2007, 10:57 AM

Because he owns the site :rolleyes:

TVRs4eva
04-01-2007, 12:42 PM
yeah, maybe we should post anonimously to avoid such problems:)
I actually kinda like the idea... maybe we shouldn't be able to see the members until after our votes are submitted. Somehow.

Kitdy
04-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Well, there is one mod who gets sent all the pics then they post them all and list them as A, B, C etc.

henk4
04-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Well, there is one mod who gets sent all the pics then they post them all and list them as A, B, C etc.

in that case a few people who only post with a watermark might no longer participate.

Kitdy
04-01-2007, 01:13 PM
in that case a few people who only post with a watermark might no longer participate.

Maybe they would waive the watermark for the competition only... I think it is an interesting though maybe unnecesary idea. AFAIK, not many post with watermarks anyways. Other than 2ndcclasscitizen, I can't think of anyone else.

LotusLocost
04-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Maybe they would waive the watermark for the competition only... I think it is an interesting though maybe unnecesary idea. AFAIK, not many post with watermarks anyways. Other than 2ndcclasscitizen, I can't think of anyone else.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=235933&d=1175329158

No watermark you say?
:rolleyes:

On the note of why I voted for Wouters pic:
When I first saw that pic I imediately fell in love with it. It has a superb action factor, a beautiful crisp and the combination with the heat-waves is amazing. The capture of the slightly over-steering, and causing the inner-wheels to "over-camber" or whatever to name it. It's one of the best action pics I have seen in a long time. Of course this is after my taste.

It's posted in high-res in the wall-paper section, a very good reason to go for a premium membership that pic alone.

adamfraser
04-01-2007, 02:21 PM
It's posted in high-res in the wall-paper section, a very good reason to go for a premium membership that pic alone.

Bugger.

As soon as i leave Premium it goes up. Darn.

*finds £20 to pay for membership*

Waugh-terfall
04-01-2007, 03:47 PM
I saw Colin's and thought, that's getting my vote!, Then Drakkie came along and put me in a toss up situation, but then I realised I'd missed one out as it was still loading when I got to Drakkie's, it was Wouters, and it finished loading, just as my Dad came in and said 'Wow, that's truly awesome!" I voted for it because it's just such a brilliantly executed shot, the car perfectly captured with the heat-haze infront of it slightly obscuring the Chevy ahead... Superb!

F1_Master
04-01-2007, 04:35 PM
I was going to vote for it since the Corvette was ahead of the Porsche, but we're not allowed to vote for the car. :p

I doubt that's stopped people.

The_Canuck
04-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Speedy 2's shot is fairly good, If Wouter didn't have an amazing shot it would surely have more votes.

my porsche
04-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Speedy 2's shot is fairly good, If Wouter didn't have an amazing shot it would surely have more votes.

Theoretically, no.

I mean no disrespect here, but the only thing interesting about his shot is the pipes, and supposedly no one votes for the car (yeah...right.)

Kitdy
04-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Theoretically, no.

I mean no disrespect here, but the only thing interesting about his shot is the pipes, and supposedly no one votes for the car (yeah...right.)

I smell bitterness. :p

When I vote, I consciously have to hold myself back form voting for the cool car or whatever and pick what I think is the most interesting, captivating, entertaining, in short - best shot. It is hard but I like to thik that I do it. I don't know what exactly I look before and I am not a qualified photographer to grade the subtelties of the light or anything, but I do have an eye, and I can tell what is good and what is bad.

Anyways, that's what I go by.

The_Canuck
04-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Theoretically, no.

While its clear unlike some others. The lighting seems good.

Oh and it's not a cliche black and white shot, which was converted to black and white only after the photographer realized the shot sucked. But it was ok because it was a GT3 and people vote for the car...:p

jk though your shot this week is nice.

Wouter Melissen
04-02-2007, 12:10 AM

Sliding cars FTW! I never win these competitions you know. Have you looked at the recent winners? Usually spinning Viper wheels do me in.

McReis
04-02-2007, 01:49 AM
This comp took a lot of time to start, which is acceptable. But then the thread was open and the voting started less than 2 days after. Not nice.

McReis
04-02-2007, 01:55 AM
Are you trying to make a fool out of yourself?

my porsche
04-02-2007, 02:20 PM
This comp took a lot of time to start, which is acceptable. But then the thread was open and the voting started less than 2 days after. Not nice.

Like I said, it was just short to get it back on schedule...

Cotterik
04-03-2007, 06:21 AM
Are you trying to make a fool out of yourself?

why would I be doing that? I'm not saying his photos are bad, just making sure it isnt a not-so-very-strange coincidence.

Wouter Melissen
04-03-2007, 06:24 AM
why would I be doing that? I'm not saying his photos are bad, just making sure it isnt a not-so-very-strange coincidence.

What is?

Cotterik
04-03-2007, 06:27 AM
Nothing. My point has been completely turned around. I am actually not criticising your skills or your photography because both are obviously excellent. I just see more than 1 excellent photo here, but the votes would say differently.

Wouter Melissen
04-03-2007, 06:29 AM
Nothing. My point has been completely turned around. I am actually not criticising your skills or your photography because both are obviously excellent. I just see more than 1 excellent photo here, but the votes would say differently.

People can only vote for one shot.

IWantAnAudiRS6
04-03-2007, 06:48 AM
Rik, don't hate on Wouter. It's a very good shot- gotta love the heat haze, as well as the quality of the photo. However, I think my porsche's shot was utterly fantastic. A shame that he isn't winning this one!

john14
04-03-2007, 07:16 AM
Wouter's photograph has professional written all over it.

Invisible ink FTW!

henk4
04-03-2007, 07:24 AM
Theoretically, no.

well, the other Porsche in the competition looked "slightly" overexposed, producing a very unnatural white, even in black and white:)

drakkie
04-03-2007, 07:57 AM
Rik, don't hate on Wouter. It's a very good shot- gotta love the heat haze, as well as the quality of the photo. However, I think my porsche's shot was utterly fantastic. A shame that he isn't winning this one!

Well i didn't vote for him on purpose ! The white of the barn makes the picture unbalanced. It is just too much white in there. Overkill IMO... Not meant negatively mate, just giving my pov.

The idea suggested above, voting on A,B,C etc. would be a brilliant idea ! It'd remove a lot of favour voting and give sme newcomers a much better chance.

McReis
04-03-2007, 10:46 AM
It's stunning photo on a week when there isn't a single other good entrance, so it doesn't seem the right time to "make sure" of anything.
For me, coincidence is when certain members vote for each other no matter how bad their photos are. And that happens a lot.

my porsche
04-03-2007, 02:09 PM
well, the other Porsche in the competition looked "slightly" overexposed, producing a very unnatural white, even in black and white:)

the unnatural color is probably because the car is red.

my porsche
04-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Thanks Sam, I thought I'd at least make the runoff (until I saw wouter's picture...) :) It's a great shot, but my B&W's suck and were no match for heatwaves.

my porsche
04-03-2007, 02:13 PM

Just to clarify...I was talking about speedy_2's shot, not wouter's (the "other Porsche" comment makes me think you thought i was talking about W's?). It's a good shot technically but it wasn't very interesting for me.

Waugh-terfall
04-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Colin, I must say that your pic was fantastic, it's a real shame you missed out, pictures far better in b&w though, red porsche's are a no-go area, the unnatural white gives it a ghostly, slightly sinister demenour

my porsche
04-03-2007, 03:02 PM
It's stunning photo on a week when there isn't a single other good entrance
...I wouldn't go so far as to say that, there are a few good ones.

McReis
04-04-2007, 02:02 AM
...I wouldn't go so far as to say that, there are a few good ones.
I can't see one.

henk4
04-04-2007, 02:04 AM
the unnatural color is probably because the car is red.

is it allowed in the competition to change the colours? I thought it was not.

henk4
04-04-2007, 02:06 AM
Just to clarify...I was talking about speedy_2's shot, not wouter's (the "other Porsche" comment makes me think you thought i was talking about W's?). It's a good shot technically but it wasn't very interesting for me.

OK, well, the caption was wrong anyway, it is not a GT40 but a GT.

2ndclasscitizen
04-04-2007, 02:10 AM
OK, well, the caption was wrong anyway, it is not a GT40 but a GT.

That looks like the engine from a GT40, or at least a replica, to me. IIRC the GT is 1) Fuel injected and 2) Supercharged

henk4
04-04-2007, 02:12 AM
That looks like the engine from a GT40, or at least a replica, to me. IIRC the GT is 1) Fuel injected and 2) Supercharged

was Roush around when the GT40 ruled?:) you are right that is not supercharged and has carbs, but this is how an original looks

2ndclasscitizen
04-04-2007, 02:51 AM
was Roush around when the GT40 ruled?:)
No idea, but it could have a new/rebuilt engine from Roush.

you are right that is not supercharged and has carbs, but this is how an original looks

Hence:

That looks like the engine from a GT40, or at least a replica, to me.

my porsche
04-04-2007, 02:17 PM
is it allowed in the competition to change the colours? I thought it was not.

I didn't. I just converted it to black and white.

henk4
04-04-2007, 11:26 PM
I didn't. I just converted it to black and white.

sounds like GWB, who turned the world into black and white:)

my porsche
04-05-2007, 05:17 AM
No really. Take my picture, put it in photshop, go to image>adjustments>channel mixer and select "monotone"

henk4
04-05-2007, 06:32 AM
No really. Take my picture, put it in photshop, go to image>adjustments>channel mixer and select "monotone"

Photoshop is disallowed. You can only submit B&W pictures if the camera settings are B&W.

Pando
04-05-2007, 07:13 AM
I've never voted for a person, I always try to find the shot that is most pleasing to me. This week the choice was quite easy, but there was a few other shots that would deserve some credit as well. Like every week, if there are two amazing shots that are as good you can still only vote for one.

The idea suggested above, voting on A,B,C etc. would be a brilliant idea ! It'd remove a lot of favour voting and give sme newcomers a much better chance.Do people really vote for the user that often? As far as newcomers goes, how about a certain Portuguese newcomer that has swept the floor in most competitions he's entered? I think it's nice to see the names of people participating as you learn something about the users. Where they've been, what they've seen and what they think is a good image.

McReis
04-05-2007, 07:15 AM
I think it's nice to see the names of people participating as you learn something about the users. Where they've been, what they've seen and what they think is a good image.
I agree. Specialy since this a way of showing pics and spend some free time. Not a real competition where there's something to win or lose.

henk4
04-05-2007, 07:22 AM
I agree. Specialy since this a way of showing pics and spend some free time. Not a real competition where there's something to win or lose.

Maybe Mr.Melissen should use a fake name when entering the competition (like Henk4)?:D Anyway he only enters when he is certain that he can win...He has too much to loose:D

my porsche
04-05-2007, 02:23 PM
Photoshop is disallowed. You can only submit B&W pictures if the camera settings are B&W.

...then every picture from a DSLR that was B&W is now void and their wins should be stripped.

Why is photoshop not allowed? Not only IS it allowed, but is the only way I have of doing adjustments that are fully within the rules.

henk4
04-05-2007, 11:59 PM
...then every picture from a DSLR that was B&W is now void and their wins should be stripped.

why would that be the case for a DSLR camera?

Anyway, I have to apologise, because I now read in the rules that B&W conversion is allowed, while I thought it was not. And I don't use photoshop to resize my pics....

Wouter Melissen
04-06-2007, 12:12 AM

Why is photoshop not allowed? Not only IS it allowed, but is the only way I have of doing adjustments that are fully within the rules.

There is a B&W option in my dSLRs, but then again only an idiot would use that.

Rockefella
04-06-2007, 12:43 AM
There is a B&W option in my dSLRs, but then again only an idiot would use that.

You are too harsh.

Niko_Fx
04-06-2007, 01:11 AM

It's never been allowed.

Cotterik
04-06-2007, 06:40 AM
We discussed this with piacki about a month ago. The rules were agreed to be changed. So it is allowed.

my porsche
04-06-2007, 09:10 PM
It's never been allowed.

You can't ban an entire program. Photoshop is allowed, just certain functions are not. B&W conversions, cropping and resizing are all allowed, for example.

Wouter, since when does a 1D Mark II have a black and white option?

my porsche
04-06-2007, 09:13 PM
why would that be the case for a DSLR camera?

Anyway, I have to apologise, because I now read in the rules that B&W conversion is allowed, while I thought it was not. And I don't use photoshop to resize my pics....

Because most camera companies realize that enthusiast photographers/people who have DSLR's want more control over their B&W conversions than simply turning on the B&W mode and out pops a B&W picture. The only DSLR that has a B&W that I know of is the D80?

2ndclasscitizen
04-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Most DSLRs will have basic editing built in. My DS lets you change shots to B&W after you've taken them, hell, the K10D has quite a few RAW editing functions built in and then let's you convert it to a JPEG.

Niko_Fx
04-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Allowed or not allowed all of you guys have always continued to play around with the cropping/colors/contrast/brightness etc in every single photo comp.. Hardly any of you take a photo and post it as it is like Wouter does, what a shame.

Trust me, is really easy to spot when edited... I'll just exclude those from the comp and vote for the real ones :)