PDA

View Full Version : McLaren's chances

Wouter Melissen
05-20-2003, 01:09 PM
Six races into the season and Raikkonen is still in the lead. Amazingly he scored all his point's with last year's car and he has to use it for one more race. Consistency and reliability rather than speed have been Raikkonen's biggest weapons. Speed is set to come in the form of the MP4/18 which is set to make its track debut tomorrow.

Do you expect the MP4/18 to be a good enough answer to Ferrari's F2003 GA and provide Raikkonen with his first world championship or is there no stopping Schumacher after his 3 successive victories?

Roy Visser
05-20-2003, 01:22 PM
Remember the little child ilnesses the 17 had in the beginning of last years season? The new car will have them aswell, the car might be quick in qualify, but it has to be proven good untill it has seen the finishline!

Kudosdude
05-21-2003, 02:22 AM
From past experience new cars rarely (but not never) drive as well as the old straight out of the box. Granted they nearly always turn out to be better in the end, but this takes development. It will be interesting to see how good it is
"Out of the Box".
Anything that gives Ferrari a kicking makes me happy ;)

piledriver
05-21-2003, 03:45 AM
With that revolutionary looking, I think MP4/18 will bring to the championship more competitiveness than it yet has...

Comparing with itīs predecessor, the lower nose should give to the car an aerodynamics much better also... and it will be very quick...

piledriver
05-21-2003, 08:16 AM
Has anyone found some high res pics of the newest McLaren MP4/18 running at Paul Ricard???

Wouter Melissen
05-21-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by piledriver
Has anyone found some high res pics of the newest McLaren MP4/18 running at Paul Ricard???

I'll add them as soon as I get my hands on them.

Nogger
05-21-2003, 12:18 PM
Monaco won't make that much of a difference and I understand that they'll wait untill Canada with it. Those twists and narrow streets is were, for instance, Renualt will have the upper hand. They have an excellent chassis and balance but they lack the power. As P-nut added, ofcouse Ron Dennis fears the technicalities in going all new, which he should...

Homem de Gelo
05-21-2003, 09:00 PM
I think McLaren's and Kimi's oponent isn't the F2003GA, but Schumacher. He's the one who drives flawlessly and makes the car look like a gem.

I do hope the MP4/18 will be up to the task of at least matching the F2003GA, but I'm afraind it'll be introduced too late in the season. The MP4/17 is still the 2nd best car on the grid, but's it's not enough against the best driver and the best car together. Or then, maybe this is the challenge that will make Kimi raise the level of his game and dethrone Schumacher, just like Schumacher raised his game in 1994 and defeated Williams.

Anyhow, it looks amazing and I can't wait to see smoe good high res pics of it. :)

Wouter Melissen
05-22-2003, 12:17 AM
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.mv?file=car.mv&num=1678

The nose looks very low!

Rob
05-22-2003, 12:20 AM
The new 2003-GA looks much better than the new MP4/18. The Ferrari has those nice round sidepods with the shark like air in takes. But I think that the new McLaren is a good competitor for Ferrari, and that it will be close between Ferrari and McLaren, but in the end it will be Ferrari because of Schumacher.

piledriver
05-22-2003, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by Wouter Melissen
I'll add them as soon as I get my hands on them.

Thanks guy!
good pics!!!